Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Mendrian posted:

I think it's possible the only unredacted bit we will see is "documents related to national security" or "documents about international relations" which substantially broadens the scope.

But I'm rooting for "aliens."

They don't need the court to unseal it to just make a statement saying it was documents related to national security. The DOJ can make a statement about whatever it wants.

Maybe they don't want to make any statement at all without "proof," but then it is also weird to make a statement that you might unseal something (but only if Trump doesn't object).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

What, drawn, and talk of peace! I hate the word, As I hate hell, all Montagues, and thee

Pure speculation: It could have been documents related to the impeachment or the election that was problematic for him, but he didn't want to destroy because it was useful for keeping others in line or because other people had copies. Maybe a memo that Meadows wrote laying out their Georgia electors scheme - if Trump destroyed it, Meadows could say it was all Trump's idea.

Edit: I suspect the unsealing is because they were going to keep it quiet as a sop towards Trump - "No need to air out the dirty laundry" and all that - but Trump saying poo poo but refusing to release the information they have him plus the shooting at the FBI office changed their minds.

Tibalt fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Aug 11, 2022

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer
God it must loving suck to wrote political satire in the Year of Our Lord 2022. "Former gameshow host / President hires Cardi B's lawyer to defend against allegations he violated the very provisions he signed into law regarding the handling of sensitive government data" is just so absurd. It's almost too absurd.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

But I thought Better Call Saul was ending this week?

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Right after Garland finished his statement, the DOJ filed 3 more sealed docket entries on the case.

A docket entry can be any step in a legal process, but considering they haven't even actually opened a case yet, there is a 99% chance they are adding documents. One of them is probably the filing of the motion to unseal. The other two could be anything.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

the judge for the motion to unseal has given trump only 24 hours to decide if he'll oppose the motion to unseal

https://twitter.com/kyledcheney/status/1557818979858653185?s=20&t=wQX2A3HCs6OJAeTRHuhZwg

i had figured trump would run out the two-week clock while rabble-rousing and only then consent - this cuts that off nicely

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

evilweasel posted:

the judge for the motion to unseal has given trump only 24 hours to decide if he'll oppose the motion to unseal

https://twitter.com/kyledcheney/status/1557818979858653185?s=20&t=wQX2A3HCs6OJAeTRHuhZwg

i had figured trump would run out the two-week clock while rabble-rousing and only then consent - this cuts that off nicely

It's pretty obvious that Trump and co. are going to destroy or otherwise remove as much evidence as they can. Also if this is related to Jan 6 the hearings are supposed to start again next month so time is of the essence.

whiggles
Dec 19, 2003

TEAM EDWARD

Uncle Wemus posted:

Tiktok just doing Leno bits now?

I like the extra twist on it where he just tells everyone they're correct, that funny

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Youth Decay posted:

It's pretty obvious that Trump and co. are going to destroy or otherwise remove as much evidence as they can. Also if this is related to Jan 6 the hearings are supposed to start again next month so time is of the essence.

I think its more likely the entire Justice Dept judges and all are completely sick of his poo poo and not giving an inch to him anymore decorum be damned. The less time he has to rabble rouse about this the better.

Also lol he really has been left to twist in the wind, you know he picked the 'billion dollar lawyer' just based on that nickname alone.

Phlag
Nov 2, 2000

We make a special trip just for you, same low price.

Among the materials Trump stole was a menu from a birthday dinner and his stupid sharpie hurricane map. I'm guessing everything he took holds some sentimental value. But like, if he was really proud of the assassination of Qasem Soleimani, he obviously shouldn't get to keep documents related to that. Regardless, I'm guessing sentimentality was his motivation (not piss tapes, hiding evidence, or selling state secrets).

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Youth Decay posted:

It's pretty obvious that Trump and co. are going to destroy or otherwise remove as much evidence as they can

Hence the emergency raid to physically secure the evidence

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Youth Decay posted:

that's not the issue. the DOJ already seized documents and he's going to be destroying whatever he has left regardless. this is about unsealing the already-served warrant.

right now the DOJ is telling him put up or shut up. he's concerned about why he was raided and thinks the public deserves to know? ok, they'll release it. he does not, however, want it released - which is why he hasn't released his copy.

normally he has 14 days to object, so he'd not respond for 14 days while continuing to do...well, exactly what he has been doing for the past day. but now, by tomorrow, he has to either tell the court he, donald trump wants the information hidden (which is bad for his narrative), or agree it can be released, in time for the judge to approve the unsealing tomorrow, before the weekend (which will be bad for his narrative)

perhaps getting a hate mob threatening judges' children wasn't the smartest of ideas?!?

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

It may or may not be related to this statement, but the NYT has some breaking updates about the Mar-a-Lago raid:

- Trump was served a subpoena 5 months ago to return the documents, but refused. That was what led to the decision to raid.

- Someone at Mar-a-Lago ratted out Trump to the DOJ that he had stashed documents when the National Archives came to take away 15 boxes of Presidential records. The informant told the DOJ there were still more documents there.

- The documents were "so sensitive in nature and related to national security" that it took time to confirm they existed and were missing. When they did, they felt they had to act quickly.

- The DOJ obtained surveillance footage of the locked room the documents were kept in and discovered that many people had access to it and came in and out.

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/08/11/us/politics/trump-fbi-subpoena.html?smtyp=cur&smid=tw-nytimes

Trump was infamously loving around with the code word security classification system as president for a variety of reasons so it wouldn't be that surprising if that is indeed what was going on here.

as an aside, lol that would not be good stuff to just wander off with boxes of

Youth Decay posted:

What would Putin want from him, is the question. Perhaps communications with the Ukrainian government and/or information about NATO activities in Eastern Europe in prepare for potential war, in the aftermath of the Perfect Phone Call to Zelensky when Trump failed to get him to go with his bullshit.

Or :pisstape:

the most classified stuff generally has stuff that reveals intelligence collection methods/technical capabilities and/or can suggest who is the source of given pieces of intelligence (eg what persons or systems are compromised in a specific government). Strategic postures wrt various issues and likely some projects are similarly kept close. Pretty much any of the above are about as close to priceless as you can get both to the US and to anyone concerned. Hell even if it isn't useful to you it would be the easiest material in the world to shop around to the relevantly concerned party.

Even seemingly random bits of that material has a high potential for damage as sources and collection methods and the like can be reversed from small amounts of it.

Hell you could probably charge a million dollars a minute for access to a room with a few boxes of recent,topical codeword classified documents and presidential briefings and there are a number of countries that would absolutely jump at the chance to pay it. I don't say that to suggest that that's what was happening so much as to emphasize the actual value of the stuff. Even that kind of undersells it: it's basically priceless stuff to everyone involved that represents the culmination of years of work and investment.

I know, I said that in the initial post.

The motion says they want to unseal the warrant, the property receipt, and two attachments to the warrant.

That is going to reveal the nature of the documents in question. I'm trying to think of what documents could possibly exist that cover all of the following:

A) So important to national security that they had to do this.
B) So critical to national security, but acknowledging the existence of it isn't an issue.
C) One of the few things Trump personally wanted to take out of the White House and keep.
D) Something that the DOJ and other officials had to verify even existed.

They don't have to release the specific documents, but something like "information on our spies in the Chinese military" would be something that even revealing the nature of the documents would be an issue. So, what would be vague enough to release the attachments and specific reasoning behind what you were looking for to the public, but also secret enough to meet all the criteria of A - D?

pretty much anything code word classified you can assume is compromising something really loving vital and it might as well be read as 'information on our spies at the highest level of the PLA' or equivalent yes. I don't think there's really a granularity to it that's going to be communicated beyond 'absolutely critical to something irreplaceable' or just state secrets of the absolute highest order. Well, other than Trump's efforts to get a bunch of his own presidential records (blatantly over) classified at that level anyways, lol.

E: there's also a wonderfully max-stupid non-zero option that this relates to trump over-classifying his own records in an effort to hide some of them from investigators and he's merely appearing to possibly be selling secrets to cover his own rear end. (low odds, also probably doesn't account for this appearing to be done by counter intelligence parts of the DoJ.

Herstory Begins Now fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Aug 11, 2022

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

JUST FUCKING TAKE OFF ALREADY, SHIT

evilweasel posted:

that's not the issue. the DOJ already seized documents and he's going to be destroying whatever he has left regardless. this is about unsealing the already-served warrant.

right now the DOJ is telling him put up or shut up. he's concerned about why he was raided and thinks the public deserves to know? ok, they'll release it. he does not, however, want it released - which is why he hasn't released his copy.

normally he has 14 days to object, so he'd not respond for 14 days while continuing to do...well, exactly what he has been doing for the past day. but now, by tomorrow, he has to either tell the court he, donald trump wants the information hidden (which is bad for his narrative), or agree it can be released, in time for the judge to approve the unsealing tomorrow, before the weekend (which will be bad for his narrative)

perhaps getting a hate mob threatening judges' children wasn't the smartest of ideas?!?

Giving Trump just 24 hours definitely puts an insane amount of pressure on him but it's going to lead to him calling on his followers to wreak havoc - at this point Trump knows his followers will do whatever he says. The big question is how the GOP will respond - they will either embrace it and lead things into a highly-violent midterm election declaring all government agencies as corrupt Democratic-led brownshirts, or they finally turn against Trump without fear of major reprisal with the incredibly heinous poo poo he's been hiding and showing off to outside actors at his resort. You just know that he's been whipping out those secret notes and plans to show off to people - they have it on camera.

Olpainless
Jun 30, 2003
... Insert something brilliantly witty here.

Kalli posted:

It's a third generational reference to this extremely memed out tweet:

https://twitter.com/WillieMcNabb/status/1158045307562856448

isn't this tweet also a fairly obvious reference to the nazi number

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

Olpainless posted:

isn't this tweet also a fairly obvious reference to the nazi number

I don't think there are any Neo-Nazi associations with 30 or 50. The only big neonazi numbers I k ow of are 14, in reference to the 14 words in the Neo-Nazi slogan "We must secure the existence of our people and a future for white children" and 88, for Hail Hitler". Sometimes they're combined into the number 1488.

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011

Epicurius posted:

I don't think there are any Neo-Nazi associations with 30 or 50. The only big neonazi numbers I k ow of are 14, in reference to the 14 words in the Neo-Nazi slogan "We must secure the existence of our people and a future for white children" and 88, for Hail Hitler". Sometimes they're combined into the number 1488.

This is what Olpainless is referencing, personally I think it's ludicrous.

https://twitter.com/_Anunnery/status/1158576865453334528

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.
I can see him doing a double mention of 8 being intentional, fascists love to sneak thier stupid dogwhistles into discourse.

Flying-PCP
Oct 2, 2005

Epicurius posted:

30 plus 50 is 80, and 3 plus 5 is 8 but there is no way to point this out without sounding like a conspiracy nut.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Umberto Eco, "Foucault's Pendulum" posted:

He threw open the shutters dramatically and pointed. At the corner of the narrow street and the broad avenue, stood a little wooden kiosk, where, presumably, lottery tickets were sold.

“Gentlemen,” he said, “I invite you to go and measure that kiosk. You will see that the length of the counter is one hundred and forty-nine centimeters – in other words, one hundred-billionth of the distance between the earth and the sun. The height at the rear, one hundred and seventy-six centimeters, divided by the width of the window, fifty-six centimeters, is 3.14. The height at the front is nineteen decimeters, equal, in other words, to the number of years of the Greek lunar cycle. The sum of the heights of the two front corners and the two rear corners is one hundred and ninety times two plus one hundred and seventy-six times two, which equals seven hundred and thirty-two, the date of the victory at Poitiers. The thickness of the counter is 3.10 centimeters, and the width of the cornice of the window is 8.8 centimeters. Replacing the numbers before the decimals by the corresponding letters of the alphabet, we obtain C for ten and H for eight, or C10H8, which is the formula for naphthalene.”

“Fantastic,” I said. “You did all these measurements?” “No,” Aglie said. “They were done on another kiosk, by a certain Jean-Pierre Adam. But I would assume that all lottery kiosks have more or less the same dimensions. With numbers you can do anything you like. Suppose I have the sacred number 9 and I want to get the number 1314, date of the execution of Jacques de Molay – a date dear to anyone who, like me, professes devotion to the Templar tradition of knighthood. What do I do? I multiply nine by one hundred and forty-six, the fateful day of the destruction of Carthage. How did I arrive at this? I divided thirteen hundred and fourteen by two, by three, et cetera, until I found a satisfying date. I could also have divided thirteen hundred and fourteen by 6.28, the double of 3.14, and I would have got two hundred and nine. That is the year in which Attalus I, king of Pergamon, joined the anti-Macedonian League. You see?”

“Then you don't believe in numerologies of any kind,” Diotallevi said, disappointed.

“On the contrary, I believe firmly. I believe the universe is a great symphony of numerical correspondences, I believe that numbers and their symbolisms provide a path to special knowledge. But if the world, below and above, is a system of correspondences where tout se tient, it’s natural for the kiosk and the pyramid, both works of man, to reproduce in their structure, unconsciously, the harmonies of the cosmos.”

:pcgaming:

Olpainless
Jun 30, 2003
... Insert something brilliantly witty here.

Jaxyon posted:

I can see him doing a double mention of 8 being intentional, fascists love to sneak thier stupid dogwhistles into discourse.

Civilized Fishbot posted:

yeah, it was this. It always felt a little obvious.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Trump is undecided, but leaning towards opposing the DOJ's motion to unseal the warrant and attachments.

https://twitter.com/ktbenner/status/1557848942800687106

Barrel Cactaur
Oct 6, 2021

Numerology is the lowest kind of conspiratorial thinking, the analysis of the world into insanity. It poses no theory of how or why such things are connected, only that it is not chance that they are assigned the same symbol for their measure. the mind jumps from coincidence to causation. It is also an easy and universal symbol. Numbers are everywhere, and so trying to impose their beliefs on arbitrary numbers the believer asociates that belief on everything in a form of self validation.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Civilized Fishbot posted:

Huh. That feels like a little bit of a stretch, but moreso because of the lack of a 14 in the original post, and usually when they have one set of numbers, they have the other one too.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Trump is undecided, but leaning towards opposing the DOJ's motion to unseal the warrant and attachments.

https://twitter.com/ktbenner/status/1557848942800687106

Forgive my ignorance, but how do these sort of hearings work? Like, Trump here isn't disputing that he had the stuff or that it was wrong to seize just "please don't tell anyone?" Does he just convince a judge that it would prejudice the future jury?

Numlock
May 19, 2007

The simplest seppo on the forums

Randalor posted:

Huh. That feels like a little bit of a stretch, but moreso because of the lack of a 14 in the original post, and usually when they have one set of numbers, they have the other one too.

I think the guy also posted video of said hogs in his yard.

That tweet is serious:tinfoil:

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Numlock posted:

I think the guy also posted video of said hogs in his yard.

That tweet is serious:tinfoil:

Yeah the Reply All podcast did an episode where they interviewed the tweet guy and he seemed like just a pleasant doofus, and not especially a gun nut. People here just jumping at shadows.

It's a good deep dive episode on the whole feral hogs phenomenon as well

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Failed Imagineer posted:

Yeah the Reply All podcast did an episode where they interviewed the tweet guy and he seemed like just a pleasant doofus, and not especially a gun nut. People here just jumping at shadows.

I would think for actual hogs a high powered rifle over an AR would be better, considering a Hog can probably take a few rounds to go down. (See also why you want a heavy duty rifle versus a bear versus an AR). On the other hand, if there's a bunch of hogs I suppose in theory the faster rate of fire/mag capacity on the AR would be handy.

This is like the friend I have who argued having a small Glock camping is a good idea because he could stop a bear if it showed up. I laughed at him and said all that's going to do is make sure the bear kills him for sure.

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

Who dey think gonna beat dem Bengos!

LionArcher posted:

This is like the friend I have who argued having a small Glock camping is a good idea because he could stop a bear if it showed up. I laughed at him and said all that's going to do is make sure the bear kills him for sure.

I asked the last person who said something similar to me if he thought about having the front sight pin removed. Confusedly, he asked "why would I do that?"
"so it doesn't hurt as much when the bear takes that thing away from you and shoves it up your rear end."

:v:

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY
Looks like the cops killed the FBI shooter.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Thom12255 posted:

Looks like the cops killed the FBI shooter.

He was apparently arrested at the Capitol on January 6th and let go. Whoopsie.

https://twitter.com/oneunderscore__/status/1557853367694770177

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

-Blackadder- posted:

McCarthy is one of the dumbest mutherfuckers in Congress.

All the smart R's kept their mouths shut because they knew this was coming and they didn't want to eat it. And now every dumbass that ran their dumb loving yap has this on them. All that energy and sympathy they had on their side. Boom. Republicans are shooting up FBI buildings. Hows that for a campaign talking point.

Just the dumbest mutherfuckers.

McCarthy's signature trait is being dumber than a bag of hammers, it's how minority leader fell to him in the first place. The guy displays no leadership or even basic political cunning. The congressional investigation of Trump is a disaster for Republicans entirely because he is a moron.

theCalamity
Oct 23, 2010

Cry Havoc and let slip the Hogs of War
https://twitter.com/npr/status/1557818804155170817?s=21&t=-gdCpN_ipIp6N0vs5ohthA

This administrations response to COVID is horrible

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Failed Imagineer posted:

The whole point of fascists putting their "88" signalling and whatnot into things is because it's plausibly denialbe and makes you sound ridiculous when you spot it.

That's part of how this works. Yes it may not be true in this situation, but that's a huge part of why they do it.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

As a teacher: it’s gonna get bad but we are just making pretend that it doesn’t exist anymore

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

He was apparently arrested at the Capitol on January 6th and let go. Whoopsie.

https://twitter.com/oneunderscore__/status/1557853367694770177

Someone by that name also spent the last couple of days posting on Truth Social about killing the feds, apparently.

https://twitter.com/jaredlholt/status/1557859252173160449
https://twitter.com/travis_view/status/1557857654701039617

Doesn't seem like it'll be hard to decipher his motivation, if this is actually him!

Jaxyon posted:

The whole point of fascists putting their "88" signalling and whatnot into things is because it's plausibly denialbe and makes you sound ridiculous when you spot it.

That's part of how this works. Yes it may not be true in this situation, but that's a huge part of why they do it.

The problem is that there aren't all that many numbers, and it's very easy to bullshit yourself into some utter nonsense if you start playing with the numbers too much.

Generally speaking, if someone is a white supremacist, you don't actually need to decipher all their tweets in search of secret code numbers. Just ask them their opinion on urban crime. Shitheads and creeps are generally lovely and creepy pretty often, you don't need to solve a riddle to figure them out.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016

Main Paineframe posted:

The problem is that there aren't all that many numbers, and it's very easy to bullshit yourself into some utter nonsense if you start playing with the numbers too much.

Generally speaking, if someone is a white supremacist, you don't actually need to decipher all their tweets in search of secret code numbers. Just ask them their opinion on urban crime. Shitheads and creeps are generally lovely and creepy pretty often, you don't need to solve a riddle to figure them out.

It's not secret code numbers, it's dog whistles, and many people are very good at hiding white supremacy because racists are very good and figuring out the language of tolerance and weaponizing it. What is obvious to some, is hidden to others.

I agree that upon further looking at that guy it probably wasn't his goal but telling folks they're jumping at shadows when the entire goal of that strategy is for marginalized groups to be told "you're jumping at shadows" is missing a portion of how white supremacy is accomplished via dog whistles.

"What do you mean 14 words...what? I'm just talking about protecting my childrens future as a parent? man you people are jumping at shadows with this wierd number poo poo"

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Main Paineframe posted:

Someone by that name also spent the last couple of days posting on Truth Social about killing the feds, apparently.

https://twitter.com/jaredlholt/status/1557859252173160449
https://twitter.com/travis_view/status/1557857654701039617

Doesn't seem like it'll be hard to decipher his motivation, if this is actually him!

Yeah, my experience with white supremacists is that they don't really try to hide that they're white supremacists all that much. You can very easily tell the difference between JackAsshole88, the guy who was either born in 1988 or just likes the number 88, vs JackAsshole88, the guy who is very vocally mad about poo poo like women and people of colour showing up in all of his TV shows and video games nowadays.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
Tracer Tong talking about "Illuminati fingerprints all over the sterics" comes to mind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sharkie
Feb 4, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Flying-PCP posted:

30 plus 50 is 80, and 3 plus 5 is 8 but there is no way to point this out without sounding like a conspiracy nut.

Am I supposed to believe it's just a coincidence that there are exactly 88 characters (without spaces) in this post? But like you said, it's hard to point out because I'll just sound like a "conspiracy nut."