Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Large Testicles
Jun 1, 2020

[ASK] ME ABOUT MY LOVE FOR 1'S

bike tory posted:

I'm assuming that your dogs name is BBQ and he put that sticker there.

gently caress never mind the plane on a treadmill problem, does a bike stay standing on a treadmill?

yes, because it's not reliant on the treadmill to stay upright

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
More specifically, because of the gyroscopic motion of the rotating wheel

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I’m curious is because I saw something recently that said the gyroscopic motion is only like 30% of what keeps a bike upright and that the forward motion is a more important factor.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

I have seen videos of bikes on treadmills because YouTube algorithm, and they just need something to keep the handlebars straight and something to keep the bike in place as the treadmill speeds up and slows down. nothing is needed to keep it from falling over at that point

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

I’m curious is because I saw something recently that said the gyroscopic motion is only like 30% of what keeps a bike upright and that the forward motion is a more important factor.

I'm pretty sure that's true, except when it's on a treadmill there's no forward motion

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

Bikes are stabilized by several things that all help. Gyroscopic forces aren't necessary, but they help slow how fast it falls. Ultimately, when they start to tilt, you steer to move the center of mass back in the other direction. That would still work on a treadmill because turning the front wheel will still move it laterally on the treadmill. There's stuff you can do with the frame design so that part of that steering happens automatically, but you can also do it manually (it is possible to ride a bike with counter-rotating wheels to cancel gyroscopic forces and the frame trail purposefully designed to amplify tilting instead of resisting. You just have to actively steer it)

Unicycles are similar but with more direct steering control. You can move center of mass forward/backwards with the pedals, and side to side by leaning or pivoting and pedaling. It's like doing a track stand on a bike with slightly different controls

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Bikes are stabilized by gnomes

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
Woman struck by lightning speaks:

https://i.imgur.com/Cjah2GC.mp4

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
drat it turned her into Max Headroom

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

Trabant posted:

Woman struck by lightning speaks:

https://i.imgur.com/Cjah2GC.mp4

lmao

They grabbed a copy of the video off Kazaa and didn’t test it first

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Zero One posted:

I thought his team was Weeb City for a minute.

That would be the Chicken Tendies Taste Tester.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Nuts and Gum posted:

lmao

They grabbed a copy of the video off Kazaa and didn’t test it first

The entire studio bricked after this

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Meet me behind the fig tree at 6:00 if you want an rear end kicking

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

The Bloop posted:

Or on the way to Jerusalem.

The Mighty Moltres
Dec 21, 2012

Come! We must fly!

Come get some at Gesthemane.

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

The Bloop posted:

If your name is Chrysippus, do NOT attend this event.

Cable Guy
Jul 18, 2005

I don't expect any trouble, but we'll be handing these out later...

Slippery Tilde
Turn the other cheek... bee-arch...

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

Such a great bit.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

From the schadenfreude thread

ESDK
Oct 10, 2007

Stoatbringer
Sep 15, 2004

naw, you love it you little ho-bot :roboluv:

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

hawowanlawow posted:

I have seen videos of bikes on treadmills because YouTube algorithm, and they just need something to keep the handlebars straight and something to keep the bike in place as the treadmill speeds up and slows down. nothing is needed to keep it from falling over at that point

Nah, the gyroscopic forces plus the human inputs to balance can keep a bike upright just fine, it's just a little more difficult than when the bike is actually moving forward. Roller trainers have been a thing for a long time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d1SOJBSjmn4

There is definitely a degree of difficulty to them, and the fails seem to be very sudden. A lot of people start on them in a hallway so they can touch a wall to regain balance as needed.

On an actual running treadmill though, yeah having something to keep you in place front to back must be key, that seems like it has the potential to end painfully with a treadmill belt sanding down your face while you try to get untangled from the bike.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

Nah, the gyroscopic forces plus the human inputs to balance can keep a bike upright just fine, it's just a little more difficult than when the bike is actually moving forward. Roller trainers have been a thing for a long time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d1SOJBSjmn4

There is definitely a degree of difficulty to them, and the fails seem to be very sudden. A lot of people start on them in a hallway so they can touch a wall to regain balance as needed.

On an actual running treadmill though, yeah having something to keep you in place front to back must be key, that seems like it has the potential to end painfully with a treadmill belt sanding down your face while you try to get untangled from the bike.

Yeah I meant a bike on a treadmill without anybody on it

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Oh weird. Why would anybody put a bike on a treadmill by itself?

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

they were testing whether removing that little plastic disc behind the gear cassette actually does anything to keep the chain from getting caught in the spokes when it derails and did not want to be on the bike if it did get caught

so basically

OzyMandrill
Aug 12, 2013

Look upon my words
and despair

Oh yeah bikes. It's because the axis of the front wheel is positioned very slightly forward of the axis of steering, which makes it unstable. A slight wobble will cause the wheel to turn AWAY in a way that self-corrects (if you are moving). This effect doesn't happen on a treadmill, or if you don't have this offset, and a bike with a reversed front fork is surprisingly hard to turn and balance - it will try to behave like a trolley wheel and seek to follow the current motion.

Leon Sumbitches
Mar 27, 2010

Dr. Leon Adoso Sumbitches (prounounced soom-'beh-cheh) (born January 21, 1935) is heir to the legendary Adoso family oil fortune.

hawowanlawow posted:

they were testing whether removing that little plastic disc behind the gear cassette actually does anything to keep the chain from getting caught in the spokes when it derails and did not want to be on the bike if it did get caught

so basically

So did it or were the results inconclusive?

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Leon Sumbitches posted:

So did it or were the results inconclusive?

nah it didn't really do anything and basically your bike would have to be really bad or some freak poo poo would have to happen to get your chain caught in the spokes

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

The banana flashers on the left really changes the vibe

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

to see if it would take off, duh

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
edit wrong thread

BiggerBoat has a new favorite as of 17:49 on Aug 12, 2022

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Cocaine Bear posted:

That's p much all tv and movies. I mean, sometimes they get a few actors in the same place at the same time for a few acenes but it's getting exceedingly rare for poo poo to not be like 90% sound studio composite work.

E: oops, that's not a very funny picture! Here's my dog trying to get some dinner early

Update: she got all the meät

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

How did I even get here, son?!

hawowanlawow posted:

nah it didn't really do anything and basically your bike would have to be really bad or some freak poo poo would have to happen to get your chain caught in the spokes

Are we talking about a bike that doesn't have the limit screws properly adjusted because they're there to prevent the derailleur from moving beyond the edge of the cassette

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Mauser posted:

Are we talking about a bike that doesn't have the limit screws properly adjusted because they're there to prevent the derailleur from moving beyond the edge of the cassette

no, though that factor was explained in the video

most bikes legally have to come with a plastic guard between the lowest gear in the cassette and the spokes. they break off easily and look like poo poo, the video was to show if they even do anything so people would stop bickering about removing them