Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX

Earwicker posted:

ive had a lot more fun with mario kart than most of the "greatest ever games" listed in the last few pages

It's not your fault

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vakal
May 11, 2008
If any racing game deserves a modern reboot it's Street Rods 2 from 1991 which let you buy parts and modify lovely cars bought out of the newspaper and then race them to steal other peoples cars.

Flowers for QAnon
May 20, 2019

SCheeseman posted:

The best Mario Kart is Sonic All Stars Racing Transformed

Sonic racing is mediocre

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX

Vakal posted:

If any racing game deserves a modern reboot it's Street Rods 2 from 1991 which let you buy parts and modify lovely cars bought out of the newspaper and then race them to steal other peoples cars.

My man. The game loop in this was perfect. Check the newspaper for a car within your budget, buy some aftermarket parts, tune up your engine and race someone for their more expensive and eventually more powerful car. Rinse and repeat until you can challenge The King (dude in black Vette) by the end of the summer.

You could fool the "AI" with sleeper cars. Nobody wanted to race a corvette, but show up with a beat up hooptie with 3x it's market price under the hood and suddenly you had a full garage of fools' cars. And they'd show up later all salty in other often cheaper cars.

Thing was like 250 KB in size.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
the best racing game is Death Rally

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

there was a game called Interstate 76 in the late 90's or early 00's that was all about slapping crazy guns onto 70's muscle cars in some kind of desert wasteland environment. the game was a bit janky and the level design was weak, but i thought that idea was awesome and would love to see it in a more modern form

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

Rutibex posted:

the best racing game is Death Rally

That’s a really weird way to spell Road Rash.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Need for Speed: Most Wanted
Simpsons Hit and Run
Crazy Taxi

Best gameplay sequence involving a car: when you beat the poo poo out of a '94 Honda in street fighter 2

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

lotus 2 turbo challenge on the amiga had some dope rear end music and was also a rad game

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LQSsq7HCNHw

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

Serephina posted:

Just to make sure, she bought the 'dev tool' itself, and not any of its completed projects?

Either of them is pretty funny (I laugh at the idea of a kid seeing lovely fan projects and nope-ing out), but my schadenfreude prefers detailed texture!

Oh yeah, she bought the dev tools for the switch. Big ideas in her brain flashed about making a game that were quickly extinguished when the reality of the actual program set in. Honestly something I definitely would have done as a kid too.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Random Stranger posted:

There are only two good Mario Karts. You know which two I'm referring to.

super mario kart, because you can play as koopa troopa and dk junior; and diddy kong racing

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

Earwicker posted:

there was a game called Interstate 76 in the late 90's or early 00's that was all about slapping crazy guns onto 70's muscle cars in some kind of desert wasteland environment. the game was a bit janky and the level design was weak, but i thought that idea was awesome and would love to see it in a more modern form

I76 was awesome and I believe Vigilante 8 was a sequel of sorts.

The jank came from the fact that it was the Mechwarrior 2 engine with cars lol

EA Sports
Feb 10, 2007

by Azathoth

jokes posted:

Need for Speed: Most Wanted
Simpsons Hit and Run
Crazy Taxi

Best gameplay sequence involving a car: when you beat the poo poo out of a '94 Honda in street fighter 2
basically what my steamdeck has been reduced to.. portable crazy taxi.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

Rutibex posted:

the best racing game is Slicks 'n' Slide

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

the best racing game is rock 'n' roll racing

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

hawowanlawow posted:

Mario Kart Wii is the best Mario Kart and it has tracks from all previous Mario Karts

Quoted for truth.

Most overrated is Double Dash because the gamecube kidlings are too nostalgic.

MK7 is the most wasted potential because the 3ds is awful for that sort of game.

MK8 is the saddest because it's karts and upgrade system are basically pointless. Especially after how good they were in MKWii.

Anything before Wii isn't worth mentioning.

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

Earwicker posted:

this game was supremely good, although IIRC the auto-targeting turrets broke the game. The :airquote: Vibe :airquote: of the game was absolutely top notch. I still quote it sometimes "Never get out of the car!"

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

EA Sports posted:

basically what my steamdeck has been reduced to.. portable crazy taxi.

elevated, you mean

heyheyheyletsgoandmakesomecraaaazymoney

YA YA YA YA YA

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Excelzior posted:

the best racing game is rock 'n' roll racing

It's still R.C. Pro-Am.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

Zeluth posted:

It's still R.C. Pro-Am.

Is good and all, but have you heard these riffs?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1PKKPVj7loQ

:black101:

pretty soft girl
Oct 1, 2004

my dead grandfather fights better than you

adhuin posted:

I still prefer the snes version of paranoid to the real one

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

JollyBoyJohn posted:

System Shock 2 is fantastic but it's at the point it's just too old to really enjoy and desperately needs some kind of makeover

2017 Prey is really great but I had the ending spoiled for me and it's probably the one time thats put me off finishing a game, i'll go back and replay it one day though

I adored the 2012 X-com and it was probably the most played game on my Steam List till Dota came along but I've never took the time to sit down and play X-com 2, it's kind of like me with the Grand Theft Auto games where I put so much time and got so much joy out of GTA3 that none of the later ones really did it for me

The thing you were probably spoiled on didn't actually really do all that for me, but something else did. I would still try finishing it, because it's great.

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 4 days!)

you ever start to replay a game and then go wait a minute i did all this crap already!!

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.

adhuin posted:

:krad:

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

adhuin posted:

I still say to myself "tarquin is in another time zone!" at least once a week

PITY BONER
Oct 18, 2021
Absolute hot take of a video game opinion: everything being developed in Unreal Engine 5 right now has that uggo X-Box 360 brown/gray/green filter desaturated look to the colors. Are we entering a new era of "brown, lol" like we did with the 360 (and partially the PS3)?

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo

PITY BONER posted:

Absolute hot take of a video game opinion: everything being developed in Unreal Engine 5 right now has that uggo X-Box 360 brown/gray/green filter desaturated look to the colors. Are we entering a new era of "brown, lol" like we did with the 360 (and partially the PS3)?

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER

“I really love Las Vegas. Its, like, my favorite place to be. I love to DJ out there. It is the place to be as a DJ.”

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

Vampire Panties posted:

this game was supremely good, although IIRC the auto-targeting turrets broke the game. The :airquote: Vibe :airquote: of the game was absolutely top notch. I still quote it sometimes "Never get out of the car!"

"They have tanks!"

"Uh... I have no advice for you at this juncture."

WILDTURKEY101
Mar 7, 2005

Look to your left. Look to your right. Only one of you is going to pass this course.
i have been playing videogames my whole life. I am pretty good at them. I can figure out the mechanics and systems and gameplay loops pretty quickly once starting a game. I like RPGs and can exploit systems pretty well, and I can play a classic fighter/rogue/cleric/mage type party expertly.

But what the gently caress is Wizardry. I've posted about it before I think but I keep coming back to W7 and W8 and they have got to be the toughest games I've ever played. A lot of the hardest games that aren't just unfair bullshit- Dark Souls (not the hardest games but lets get it out of the way), Ninja Gaiden, Ghosts and Goblins, Ikaruga - are based on learning the timings of things and nimbly maneuvering around while in combat. But Wizardry is just hard mechanics. It feels like a job but I keep coming back to give it another shot for some reason.

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

Wizardry games are deliberately super hard, yeah. Wizardry 4 is one of the most difficult games ever made. I love the entire series but they are definitely not for everyone because there is a lot of stupid bullshit.

A big part of 6, 7, and 8 in particular are about abusing class changes to create super characters but you're not gonna know how to do that without being very familiar with the game.

You can beat all of them without doing that but it'll be a struggle. And no matter what strategy you use you will be save scumming like it's your job.

That is just the nature of the Wizardry beast.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

I remember getting pretty drat far in the NES version but got stuck on something completely obtuse and with no internet welp

WILDTURKEY101
Mar 7, 2005

Look to your left. Look to your right. Only one of you is going to pass this course.
I'm not going to mess with 4. Doesn't it have stuff that are literally inside jokes between the creator and his friends that you have to know to progress?

Vakal
May 11, 2008
Wizardry 8 is especially dickish since enemy mob strength not only scales with your party's level, but they can also jump to high tier enemy types at certain levels.

So typical games of Wiz 8 usually go like this:

Level 5: Encounter starving bandits.

Level 6: Encounter starving bandits with more health.

Level 7: Starving bandits replaced with Mercenaries that will utterly gently caress your party sideways.

Restart game and try not to gain so many levels.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem

Vakal posted:

Wizardry 8 is especially dickish since enemy mob strength not only scales with your party's level, but they can also jump to high tier enemy types at certain levels.

So typical games of Wiz 8 usually go like this:

Level 5: Encounter starving bandits.

Level 6: Encounter starving bandits with more health.

Level 7: Starving bandits replaced with Mercenaries that will utterly gently caress your party sideways.

Restart game and try not to gain so many levels.

So… The only winning move is not to play?

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

SilvergunSuperman posted:

I remember getting pretty drat far in the NES version but got stuck on something completely obtuse and with no internet welp

I remember getting wizardry out of a box of used nes games when I was a child. I played Dragon Warrior and final fantasy so I assumed into would be good for me. The game seller was like "that games not for you kid" but I bought it anyway

he was correct :negative:

Barudak
May 7, 2007

If you want a modernized and charmingly eastern European* version of Wizardry I recommend Operencia. It also has completely fixed encounters which is a huge plus, but there are some bits of bad in here like the final dungeon requiring tile sliding puzzles to progress.

*Has the dead gay lover trope, sorry!

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Earwicker posted:

this was the first game i played w/ 3d acceleration on what must have been a monster 3d 2 voodoo2

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3JCGZFQZkdc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MVYvNJ8axRU

poverty goat fucked around with this message at 11:42 on Aug 13, 2022

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Ask me about my wealthy lifestyle and passive income! I love bragging about my wealth to my lessers! My opinions are more valid because I have more money than you! Stealing the fruits of the labor of the working class is okay, so long as you don't do it using crypto. More money = better than!
Replaying Mario Kart on actual Wii hardware and Prey Mooncrash on my PC thanks to this thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo
Did anyone play Road 96? It's a narrative adventure game with a killer soundtrack. It presents itself as a run based game with branching paths but ultimately it ends up being pretty linear. You play as a series of homeless teenagers trying to flee the fictional country of Petria. The game tries for some political messaging which I found lacking but all in all it was a good time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZNUfdZyzB3Q