Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I'm just playing telephone but it sounds like they want you to take it to a repair centre locally vs shipping it. If you don't have one local, that'll still be an issue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

some kinda jackal posted:

I'm just playing telephone but it sounds like they want you to take it to a repair centre locally vs shipping it. If you don't have one local, that'll still be an issue.

Yeah I ain't driving to get it repaired, they only presented physically taking it to a shop or returning for a refund. The Korg warehouse store sent me a label via reverb

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

if anyone wants to trade their lovely op-six, pm!

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

Is the su700 as sweet as it looks

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Achmed Jones posted:

im bummed that i didn't hear about that deal until it's over, even knowing about korg being lovely and dumping defective stock. i'd roll those dice every time

i should've paid more attention to this thread! :shrug:

I paid attention and got my order canceled two days later after they ran out of stock, don’t beat yourself up

also lol/condolences if they’re defective

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

My pronouns are She/Heir.

Pollyanna posted:

FM is beautiful.

Seconded. Although beyond the basics trying to actually construct an FM patch is beyond me, so I like having my Volca FM for just loading already-made FM patches and playing with them. Once I can drop a few bucks on the Volca FM2 I'm absolutely doing so, six-voice FM polyphony in such a small package is crazy good. I had a preenfm2 for a while but I just didn't mesh with it, way too much menu diving and weird controls.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Can someone explain in super idiot terms what a Teensy controller does and why you can’t just use M8 headless software on something like the RG351V without it?

Is it simply that that’s the chipset the software actually runs on and the 351 just loans to it buttons and a screen?

Can I build a bullshit M8 tracker from scratch with Amazon parts and a breadboard?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Rolo posted:

Can someone explain in super idiot terms what a Teensy controller does and why you can’t just use M8 headless software on something like the RG351V?

Is it simply that that’s the chipset the software actually runs on and the 351 just loans to it buttons and a screen?

Can I build a bullshit M8 tracker from scratch with Amazon parts and a breadboard?

The M8 firmware is custom written for the chip that the teensy 4.1 happens to provide. The actual M8 does not use that chip.. I think it's a teensy 3 based one. But it's more or less the same.

The RG351V is a completely different processor (a rockchip RK3326 if you care). So yes, as you stated: the RG351V is running a gui frontend that talks with the teensy device over a serial protocol to get the display status and your bloops.

In theory, yes, you could build your own M8 if you figured out a display method and a chip that could handle the serial communications with the m8 headless firmware. You can't just update the M8 firmware to display vga (or whatever) because the M8 firmware is closed source.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

xzzy posted:

This is always what screwed me up about learning FM. Once the tutorials get past "the modulator changes the carrier" they dive into specific sound design and unless you got the exact same hardware they have you can't follow along. Something else, such as the algorithms or the envelopes, are implemented just different enough that you can't get the same sound.

It gets better over a zillion iterations because you start to figure it out on your own but it's annoying there's no one size fits all solutions.

Digitone's 5 and 6 algorithms in particular give me fits because of the cross interaction. You can't adjust the envelopes of the B operators independently so you don't have full control, and there's enough degrees of freedom that figuring out all it can do is pretty tough.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

come post with us, forever and ever and ever

A MIRACLE posted:

Is the su700 as sweet as it looks

No :(
Don’t be fooled by the gorgeous VFD and chonmky aesthetic. It’s slow, powerful slow. TBH Akai Force is probably the platonic ideal of its genre: a time stretching loop/pattern sampler in hardware.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Might be fun to just patch something together that gives you that algorithm with individual modules in vcv rack. Seems pretty overwhelming to begin for me, but that would allow for total control over any aspect of it. Vcas and envelope generators of all variety only cost minimal cpu load in that environment, so you could go hog wild. Hook up a midi controller, and you can assign knobs to control all sorts of stuff on the fly.

This is just building an emulation of whatever hardware from small blocks, and rainbow noodles, isn't it?

B33rChiller fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Aug 10, 2022

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

xzzy posted:

The M8 firmware is custom written for the chip that the teensy 4.1 happens to provide. The actual M8 does not use that chip.. I think it's a teensy 3 based one. But it's more or less the same.

The RG351V is a completely different processor (a rockchip RK3326 if you care). So yes, as you stated: the RG351V is running a gui frontend that talks with the teensy device over a serial protocol to get the display status and your bloops.

In theory, yes, you could build your own M8 if you figured out a display method and a chip that could handle the serial communications with the m8 headless firmware. You can't just update the M8 firmware to display vga (or whatever) because the M8 firmware is closed source.

This makes a lot more sense now, I may order a Teensy and make a project out of that and another RG351V I bought and cosmetically broke taking it apart awhile ago.

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

haha gently caress, new phone has wierd autocorrect

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

I just preordered Australia's first synth in a very long time, Melbourne Instrument's Nina. 12 voice analogue poly but with, uniquely, with motorised encoders, and controlled with a built-in raspberry pi 4 for maximum hax. it's expensive but the fact it's a lil aussie company, it's uniqueness, the usefulness of having even just a controller with motorised encoders let alone an entire analogue poly, and the early bird discount made me pull the trigger. can't even imagine how sweet its going to be having the lfo literally turning the knobs

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

chaosbreather posted:

I just preordered Australia's first synth in a very long time, Melbourne Instrument's Nina. 12 voice analogue poly but with, uniquely, with motorised encoders, and controlled with a built-in raspberry pi 4 for maximum hax. it's expensive but the fact it's a lil aussie company, it's uniqueness, the usefulness of having even just a controller with motorised encoders let alone an entire analogue poly, and the early bird discount made me pull the trigger. can't even imagine how sweet its going to be having the lfo literally turning the knobs

Right bobby dazzler innit. Brilliant layout and controls, even ignoring the novelty of flying knobs. I hope these guys do well.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.

Startyde posted:

Right bobby dazzler innit. Brilliant layout and controls, even ignoring the novelty of flying knobs. I hope these guys do well.

this is super super cool and I wish I had four grand and more faith in global supply chains. I hope they make all their launches and can't wait to see trip reports, thing look radical.

edit: if I had the four grand to burn, I'd probably YOLO it on the supply chains. I did sell a motorcycle for exactly that at the beginning of the summer but that cash in my little vault is the only actual cash I have, probably shouldn't change that for something I just learned about at 7:48AM :allears:

I... think I want a matriarch, too? (I have gear addiction bad and I only ever learn to use any of it because I don't actually have the cash to get new stuff more than once or twice a year). If there's any good reason to talk me off that cliff there's time to do it because I probably won't have the cash until Christmas, based on some side work I hope to land. I am about 10% through Red Means Recording Hydrasynth tutorial videos, that guy is great, also I enjoy some of his scattered performances. The video here sucks, angle wise, but still inspiring to me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ogJ6MHCKtZk

Cabbages and VHS fucked around with this message at 12:58 on Aug 11, 2022

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I feel like I asked this recently or at least talked about theory, but thread goes quick so evergreen questions etc etc.

Has anyone done Udemy's "Music Theory for Electronic Music Producers" course? Impressions? Thoughts? Any alternatives I should look at? I know there are plenty of general music theory courses on YT but without curation I'm as likely to pick a poo poo course than something actually well done and useful and this one seems pretty well pre-packaged and targeted at the genre of music I am most interested in producing. Anyway, the Udemy preview seems useful, just wondering if anyone has firsthand experience.

$$$ not really a factor here, if it's worthwhile I'm happy to pay for it. At this point in my life I value convenience and curation over saving a few bucks.

Carmant
Nov 23, 2015

Treadmill? What's that? Is that some kind of cake?

Pollyanna posted:

Going to lol hard if this was all a ploy to dump defective stock.

Mine came in moments ago and has a useless loving screen as well.

Carmant fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Aug 11, 2022

NuclearPotato
Oct 27, 2011

I feel for everyone getting theirs with defective screens and the like, but uh, I got my Opsix today in perfect working condition, and I've been having fun making horrible metallic screeching noises to my heart's content :shobon:

Carmant
Nov 23, 2015

Treadmill? What's that? Is that some kind of cake?

I'm actually finding the screen works okay in situations with absolutely no light, so I might just take it deep into a cave or something whenever I want to use it.

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!
Mine works just fine. :shrug:
I updated it to 2.0.1 and it is making neat sounds.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

I feel like I asked this recently or at least talked about theory, but thread goes quick so evergreen questions etc etc.

Has anyone done Udemy's "Music Theory for Electronic Music Producers" course? Impressions? Thoughts? Any alternatives I should look at? I know there are plenty of general music theory courses on YT but without curation I'm as likely to pick a poo poo course than something actually well done and useful and this one seems pretty well pre-packaged and targeted at the genre of music I am most interested in producing. Anyway, the Udemy preview seems useful, just wondering if anyone has firsthand experience.

$$$ not really a factor here, if it's worthwhile I'm happy to pay for it. At this point in my life I value convenience and curation over saving a few bucks.

Sort of apples to oranges but I really liked working through Justin Guitar's Practical Music Theory workbook awhile back and have been thinking about subscribing and checking out his new more in depth course.

Foundationally most everything transfers, which is the beauty being music in general and why it's easier to go from one instrument to another than learn from scratch. No idea about Udemy but it's probably a tad more salient.

No idea if this is any good either, but the Opsix came with a free course from Melodics so I'll probably check that out here too, my keyboard skills could use some upskilling from grade school piano lessons.

And speaking of the Opsix, looks like I lucked out and got a working screen! :woop:

If anyone else is poo poo out of luck on the OLED backlight issue with their only option being a refund, looks like this is the screen used on the keyboard . I haven't taken it apart yet, but I suspect it shouldn't be too difficult to service

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

Gc and mf have $329 Opsix in stock right now.

Stoca Zola
Jun 28, 2008

Has anyone done Udemy's "Music Theory for Electronic Music Producers" course? Impressions? Thoughts?

100% would not pay full price for - a friend got it on a big discount and we went through it together back in 2020. Part 1 is useful if you are starting from nothing but Dr Jay is sloppy, repetitive, unprepared. Videos seem to have been made off the cuff and on the fly. The guy really does know his stuff but it was a bit like trying to get taught something by someone’s “cool dad”. I believe we looked at part 1,2 and 3 which were sufficient to get a non musically trained person confident enough to start building complete songs in a DAW. We did 4, 5 and 6 as well which didn’t really add much to what was covered in the first 3 parts. Dr Jay himself is likeable enough, I would say there is some benefit to be gained from the course but I definitely would have been annoyed to pay full price for it - if there is a newer or updated more tightly edited version that has been made since 2020 my criticisms do not apply. Also having just checked the site there is now more than one course by the same name, we did the Jason Allen one not the Tomas George one.

For me the biggest benefit was having an actual structure to follow along with and that inspired me to make up my own homework to suit, so any reasonable course will get you the same measured doses of information and a feeling of progression that can be very motivating.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

Google Butt posted:

Gc and mf have $329 Opsix in stock right now.

cool, i got one. thanks! guitar center has it marked clearance (so no returns), but i didn't see anything like that for musicians friend - it was just marked "price drop." so i went with that. 🤞

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

come onnnn wavestate

big money

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Stoca Zola posted:

100% would not pay full price for - a friend got it on a big discount and we went through it together back in 2020. Part 1 is useful if you are starting from nothing but Dr Jay is sloppy, repetitive, unprepared. Videos seem to have been made off the cuff and on the fly. The guy really does know his stuff but it was a bit like trying to get taught something by someone’s “cool dad”. I believe we looked at part 1,2 and 3 which were sufficient to get a non musically trained person confident enough to start building complete songs in a DAW. We did 4, 5 and 6 as well which didn’t really add much to what was covered in the first 3 parts. Dr Jay himself is likeable enough, I would say there is some benefit to be gained from the course but I definitely would have been annoyed to pay full price for it - if there is a newer or updated more tightly edited version that has been made since 2020 my criticisms do not apply. Also having just checked the site there is now more than one course by the same name, we did the Jason Allen one not the Tomas George one.

For me the biggest benefit was having an actual structure to follow along with and that inspired me to make up my own homework to suit, so any reasonable course will get you the same measured doses of information and a feeling of progression that can be very motivating.

Thanks for the feedback. I’m only familiar with the Jason Allen course specifically so good to know, but I’ll have to look at the other as well. I agree that the biggest benefit is just having structure, because I’m certain I can piece together the actual content from other sources if it’s lacking, but starting from almost zero theory the real challenge is that I don’t know what I don’t know. I’ll see if I can find it on discount, thanks!

OSU_Matthew posted:

Sort of apples to oranges but I really liked working through Justin Guitar's Practical Music Theory workbook awhile back and have been thinking about subscribing and checking out his new more in depth course.

Foundationally most everything transfers, which is the beauty being music in general and why it's easier to go from one instrument to another than learn from scratch. No idea about Udemy but it's probably a tad more salient.

No idea if this is any good either, but the Opsix came with a free course from Melodics so I'll probably check that out here too, my keyboard skills could use some upskilling from grade school piano lessons.

And also thanks for THIS feedback! I’m always hesitant to do a general music theory course because I just assumed an EDM-adjacent course would compress a wide range of theory into what is most applicable to these genres, and I’m just looking for a leg up on composition, but it sounds like my real worry about doing that is something like taking a four year university course and all these little courses are probably just fine and will transfer over, as you said.

kidfresca
Dec 31, 2007

You're kidding, right?

John Lennon, Singer of The Beatles. He wrote the song "Imagine" and was shot and killed some time in the eighties.

Fuck has the WHOLE WORLD GONE CRAZY!

I think GuitarCenter ships to Canada for a reasonable flat rate, if anyone up here felt left out on the OpSix deal. Could be SoL if you lose the screen lottery though.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

I ordered a Korg OpSix today and I'm very excited to get it in and be able to do FM synthesis wherever I am instead of just when at my computer :3:

I pray to the QC gods for my screen to work great when it gets in

Agreed fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Aug 12, 2022

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

A MIRACLE posted:

come onnnn wavestate

big money

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

Is that real

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

is anything?

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

Some things are more real than others

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

realish then I guess

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oOawuNDlBXw&t=20s

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Bonzai buddy looking mascot

aw frig aw dang it
Jun 1, 2018

B33rChiller posted:

Bonzai buddy looking mascot

That's the Whammy from the 80s game show Press Your Luck! Posting it is a sign of great age and questionable wisdom.

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

A MIRACLE posted:

Is that real

"...the whole point of a Doomsday Machine is lost, if you keep it a secret!"
You can call Uli's scattershot PR posts free market research or whatever but they are warning shots even/especially when renders.

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!
Why do people like the Wavestate so much?

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

dexefiend posted:

What if every note was an entire multi sample sequence? And it had really good samples and presets for every 90s tv show that ever existed and a bunch that didn’t but should have?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

dexefiend posted:

https://youtu.be/txNQLtPg5DU?t=1098

trilobite terror fucked around with this message at 13:46 on Aug 12, 2022