Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

I closed paypal because gently caress paypal. I do EFTs but I'm in Canada and it's between Canadian banks and both these guys are American so there goes that. I have US cash for my regular trips across the line (or at least used to be) so I'd rather put a loving stamp on an envelope than pay some other billionaire a penny for what is essentially a gift.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

Lawrence Phillips Always #1 to Me
In my experience my 40V Kobalt non-backpack leaf blower can't really remove snow by itself, but it is really good at "finishing the job" on my front walk and the stairs to the door. My wife's parents come over frequently so it is important to me to have very clear concrete in the winter. The front of our house faces north, so the sun and nature do us no favors on this matter.

I have exactly one tree in my yard so I use it more for:

• blowing grass clippings back into the yard
  • blowing sawdust out of my garage and other garage cleaning tasks
  • blowing "bulk" water off the car prior to towel drying. Also good for blowing water out of cracks and crevices
  • blowing grass clippings off of myself after mowing
  • aiming it at my face to my cheeks puff up because my daughter thinks it is funny
  • blowing accumulation out of the back of my truck

I have cordless electric edger, string trimmer, hedge clipper, and leaf blower. The leaf blower sees the most frequent use by far.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
With my life essentially imploding over the last few months I ended up selling my double decker US General box and a fuckload of my spare tools and poo poo I never use anymore. Downsized to the rolling mechanics cart for all my hand tools. Still have a lot of my 18V Ryobi poo poo so I'm still going to get one of the packout boxes to store all that stuff. This will be a lot easier to move around going forward.

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

I've had a Craftsman table saw from the late 1980s or early 1990s for the last five years or so. I've never been happy with the crappy fence. The wings on the table are stamped steel and I've never been able to get them completely even with the cast main table. I've been looking around for a better saw for a while.

Last night I found something. A Ridgid TS3650 with its base for $150. I went and picked it up last night. The previous owner had the stock miter gauge dialed in to a perfect 90 and included a pristine shop-made zero clearance insert. He was replacing the saw with a SawStop. The top looks like it has been used for work, but the main table and both cast iron wings are smooth and clearly well-maintained. I could not be happier. Now I have to sell my old saw and make a new crosscut sled.

The only better deal I've seen on a table saw is the old-school Delta Unisaw my friend James got for his shop for $300. The saw and the infeed and outfeed tables it came with are as big as a car and would never fit in my garage. He got it on a government auction from a high school in Chicago that was being closed or canceling its wood shop classes or something. He did have to drive ten hours to go get it.

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

I finally have some garage space cleared out and I've got 56"Wx36"Dx~55"H space for a tool chest. Mostly for organizing wrenches, ratchets, screwdrivers, etc., and a few power tools in their carrying bags. Power strip and flat top for battery chargers would be ideal. Mostly light use, doesn't need to be bombproof but I'd rather not buy junk and I have no idea what's good. Any suggestions?

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Fifty Three posted:

I finally have some garage space cleared out and I've got 56"Wx36"Dx~55"H space for a tool chest. Mostly for organizing wrenches, ratchets, screwdrivers, etc., and a few power tools in their carrying bags. Power strip and flat top for battery chargers would be ideal. Mostly light use, doesn't need to be bombproof but I'd rather not buy junk and I have no idea what's good. Any suggestions?

I'm super happy with this one but good golly it has gotten expensive, it was closer to $300 when i got it https://www.homedepot.com/p/Husky-4...WC9V2/313615421

Wider version closer to your dimensions: https://www.homedepot.com/p/Husky-5...9B12M/312145945

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

I have two of the 46" Husky chests and I like them quite a bit. I kind of wish a couple of the vertically-short drawers were combined into one taller drawer, but overall it seems pretty good. I got the first one in April because I saw the blue color was marked down to $350 from $450. I should have bought two at the time. I filled it up almost instantly and wanted a second one later. When I was looking the box wasn't in stock online or at any of the local stores. I bought a second unit (black) on impulse at regular price $450 because I was expecting the price was about to go up. And now it has.

Is it as nice and as bomb-proof as a Snap-On box? Absolutely not. But it costs 10% as much. I get into my tools probably every day, but not all day, every day. I'm pretty sure I could replace some drawer sliders if the need arises someday. I take care not to completely jam any particular drawer full of heavy tools. In particular I try to keep the top full-width drawer fairly lightly laden.

So anyway, I like the toolboxes but I can't say much about long-term durability. Budget in another $40 or so to replace the two 5" omnidirectional wheels for 360* rotating ones if you want true freedom to move the cart around. The Harbor Freight Yukon I think is cheaper for a box of equal length, but you give up about 30% of capacity because the box is only 18" deep instead of 24".

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

slidebite posted:

It works. Aesthetically seems a little rough, you can tell it's been well used and probably bounced out of a truck onto the asphalt, but does seem to work OK. It's an EGO 56V, the type you seem to be able to buy at Lowes. I obviously don't have a charger or batteries for it, but the battery in it seems to function - or at least it's enough to run it. No idea what the charge is like in it.

The center of the top of the battery (as mounted in that backpack) has a button that lights up a power gauge. If it's an older battery it'll just be green for anything between "near dead" and "full" and red for "near dead". Newer ones have a five segment ring of LEDs and will light one up per 20% of charge.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

You know I've hardly even looked at it. I'll take a better look tonight. Thanks.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

opengl128 posted:

I'm super happy with this one but good golly it has gotten expensive, it was closer to $300 when i got it https://www.homedepot.com/p/Husky-4...WC9V2/313615421

Wider version closer to your dimensions: https://www.homedepot.com/p/Husky-5...9B12M/312145945
These are often Black Friday sale items for like 1/3 off. Who knows what the new normal will be, but if OP is in no hurry, could pay off to hold tight for 3 months.

Edit: I've had their second largest base and chest combo for 7 years and its a fantastic value. Fits all my crap, has ball bearing drawers, and still looks new.

stealie72 fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Aug 12, 2022

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Anybody have a good rec for cable ferrule crimpers? One of the cables snapped on van power door. Honda doesn't sell just the cable, only the full motor assembly and aftermarket cables are like $80. I don't want to gently caress up the end with my junk electrical crimpers when I only really have one shot at it.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011

Suburban Dad posted:

Anybody have a good rec for cable ferrule crimpers? One of the cables snapped on van power door. Honda doesn't sell just the cable, only the full motor assembly and aftermarket cables are like $80. I don't want to gently caress up the end with my junk electrical crimpers when I only really have one shot at it.

I doubt you have a full time need for this, but I've got one of these that works great for ferrules and electrical cables.
https://www.harborfreight.com/hydraulic-wire-crimping-tool-66150.html

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
I'll second that. It's not meant for the purpose but my spare tire on my Comanche has been held up by a stainless ferrule I crimped with it for like 10000 miles now, no issues.

Commodore_64
Feb 16, 2011

love thy likpa

Anyone know a similarly cheap tool that will do 4/0 gauge? I don't actually NEED wire that thick, but I like cable I guess. Also I think that same tool spyder linked was 40 bux when I bought it 8(?) or more years ago.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
What in the christ do you need 4/0 for?

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

stealie72 posted:

These are often Black Friday sale items for like 1/3 off. Who knows what the new normal will be, but if OP is in no hurry, could pay off to hold tight for 3 months.

Edit: I've had their second largest base and chest combo for 7 years and its a fantastic value. Fits all my crap, has ball bearing drawers, and still looks new.
I absolutely can (and should) wait a few months and I appreciate the tip! Thanks for the recommendations, all.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

Commodore_64 posted:

Anyone know a similarly cheap tool that will do 4/0 gauge? I don't actually NEED wire that thick, but I like cable I guess. Also I think that same tool spyder linked was 40 bux when I bought it 8(?) or more years ago.

The Best Choice Products 15/16 ton (advertised as both by different Amazon sellers, it's the same poo poo) is my go to. These days the harbor freight 8 ton is relegated to my loaner and roadside/travel hydro crimper that lives in the trailer toolbox and I keep the 16 ton at the hangar. It is rated for up to 300mm2 and I've crimped 350mcm/kcmil welding cable with it without issue.

I can't actually find the Best Choice Products listing for it anymore but this one is identical. Nearly same price as the harbor freight too. Given the choice I'd only buy this one. https://www.amazon.com/ABN-Hydraulic-Crimper-Cable-Crimping/dp/B07D82XKC5/

SpeedFreek
Jan 10, 2008
And Im Lobster Jesus!

Commodore_64 posted:

I bought one of the hydraulic crimpers of Amazon (ABN hydraulic cable crimper with 11 dies) for battery cables and it worked great for $60. You will need to convert AWG to MCM or mm^2 with all the cheap ones I've seen.

Real crimping tools will cost you over $2k on one set of dies.

the spyder posted:

He could need to extend a 120v 20a circuit 1500ft?

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

the spyder posted:

SpeedFreek posted:

Or put in a 240v 50a circuit 200 feet away. Like say for a backyard hot tub.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I've lost a massive amount of bolts over the 8 months my SVX has been apart. I'm thinking about getting something like a metal detector except instead of detecting metal it's just a magnet to pull up the bolts. Is that a thing? I feel like it probably is, although OTOH some of the bolts might have sunk into the dirt. I've been working on it in a dirt yard that's now covered in dandelions so it's hard to find anything. If it is a thing, are there any caveats to how it works? Are 10.9 or stainless bolts not going to be magnetic enough to get much pull? Are there some with garbage strength magnets?

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I've lost a massive amount of bolts over the 8 months my SVX has been apart. I'm thinking about getting something like a metal detector except instead of detecting metal it's just a magnet to pull up the bolts. Is that a thing? I feel like it probably is, although OTOH some of the bolts might have sunk into the dirt. I've been working on it in a dirt yard that's now covered in dandelions so it's hard to find anything. If it is a thing, are there any caveats to how it works? Are 10.9 or stainless bolts not going to be magnetic enough to get much pull? Are there some with garbage strength magnets?

https://www.harborfreight.com/17-in-mini-magnetic-sweeper-62704.html

Just go to town with this bad boy.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Wow that's way better than I was expecting. I don't have a harbor freight near me but the local hardware store apparently has one for only like $6 more than it would be shipped without taking a week.

Commodore_64
Feb 16, 2011

love thy likpa

stealie72 posted:

SpeedFreek posted:

I bought one of the hydraulic crimpers of Amazon (ABN hydraulic cable crimper with 11 dies) for battery cables and it worked great for $60. You will need to convert AWG to MCM or mm^2 with all the cheap ones I've seen.

Real crimping tools will cost you over $2k on one set of dies.

Now now.

It's just for 8.5% drop for 700A @12v over 12 feet. If you ask why I need this, I don't!

Elem7
Apr 12, 2003
der
Dinosaur Gum

stealie72 posted:

I think you mean 1600 feet, 4/0 is quite large, even 4 gauge can do 400 feet.

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Wow that's way better than I was expecting. I don't have a harbor freight near me but the local hardware store apparently has one for only like $6 more than it would be shipped without taking a week.

I’ll plug https://boltdepot.com once again too. They’ve even got JIS bolts.

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

I have one of those crimpers too and it’s decent, I don’t think you’ll find it much cheaper than that. Some kits with the same crimper are cheaper but have fewer dies.

Big Taint fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Aug 12, 2022

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

nitsuga posted:

I might get an assortment from them if they have them, but I'm hoping to find at least the two long power steering / alternator bracket bolts. The alternator bracket bolt is still available from the dealer but the power steering one isn't, so I'd have to find like a 120mm m6 bolt at boltdepot and wait. At least I'm at the point where I can probably crank it over and drive it around the block just without power steering or a radiator, it should take less than a minute so the block won't overheat.

I got a 17" magnet sweeper so I should hopefully find a bunch of bolts and then I'll be able to use it to clean up the garage too, since that has washers and bolts and metal shavings all over the place.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Bolt management is so important when taking poo poo apart and I never give it the time it requires. A piece of cardboard that you can push them through approximately where they go with sharpie notes or bagged and tagged is a lifesaver. I usually just try to thread them back in a few threads when I remove stuff and that usually gets me 90% there. Maybe I'll learn. Next time.

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

No see you’re supposed to take apart a junkyard car, bring home all the fasteners, take your car apart, mix all the fasteners together, then have no idea which is which and if that’s a spare or you forgot one. It’s a fun game.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Suburban Dad posted:

Bolt management is so important when taking poo poo apart and I never give it the time it requires. A piece of cardboard that you can push them through approximately where they go with sharpie notes or bagged and tagged is a lifesaver. I usually just try to thread them back in a few threads when I remove stuff and that usually gets me 90% there. Maybe I'll learn. Next time.

I thought I had put them in boxes but now I can't find the boxes and also I pushed the car into a better position once the snow was gone so some that I had in the engine bay fell out.

Advent Horizon
Jan 17, 2003

I’m back, and for that I am sorry

nitsuga posted:

Is there a good Bolt Depot alternative on the west coast? Shipping from Massachusetts kind of sucks for heavy steel bolts.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Elem7 posted:

I think you mean 1600 feet, 4/0 is quite large, even 4 gauge can do 400 feet.
Lol, my brain comprehended the 4 and not the 0.

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

Advent Horizon posted:

Is there a good Bolt Depot alternative on the west coast? Shipping from Massachusetts kind of sucks for heavy steel bolts.

I haven’t purchased anything from them, but maybe: https://www.tacomascrew.com

That or ebay? Seems like there some good sellers there: https://www.ebay.com/itm/2533344950...%3ABFBMwIqDzdJg

Advent Horizon
Jan 17, 2003

I’m back, and for that I am sorry

I don’t know why I didn’t think about Tacoma Screw, they are my preferred hardware store’s supplier. Half the supplies in my shop are from there.

Now that I know they have easy online ordering I might do something stupid like order a thousand dollars’ worth of assorted bolts.

Edit: Tacoma Screw has a terrible selection of hex tap screws, which lead me back to Bolt Depot, which lead to the discovery that they ship normal bolts (not assortments) quite affordably.

Now I just need to get some trays to organize the $300 worth of bolts, washers, and nuts that I just ordered.

Advent Horizon fucked around with this message at 09:09 on Aug 13, 2022

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

Hehe, that’s a start. Go, Bolt Depot.

JoshGuitar
Oct 25, 2005

Suburban Dad posted:

Years ago for about $1,000 I purchased a 1994 Park Avenue Ultra with no engine, a junkyard engine for said Park Avenue Ultra, and something like 3 5 gallon buckets of assorted nuts, bolts, clips, and brackets. Most expensive jigsaw puzzle I ever attempted. The day before installing the engine, I cleared an entire garage bay, sorted the bolts into piles, then went through each step on the install in the FSM, trying to figure out which bolts would have been used. Like "ok this part uses 3 of this diameter bolt and I have 4 different kinds. This one's too short, there's only 2 of this one...but the flange head on this one matches the marks you can see on the bracket". Somehow I finished that project with only 1 or 2 mystery bolts left. I've done worse than that on things I disassembled myself. And the car ran great for years until I eventually sold it.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
I have an infrequently driven Honda Fit thanks to working from home and live in a dry desert that is hard on batteries. What's a recommended trickle charger/battery maintainer for infrequent use?

Side note, I love this car and it's by far my lowest total cost of ownership vehicle I've ever owned. However, the 151R sized battery is annoying to get replaced. Stores typically have only a single option in stock, if at all.

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

canyoneer posted:

I have an infrequently driven Honda Fit thanks to working from home and live in a dry desert that is hard on batteries. What's a recommended trickle charger/battery maintainer for infrequent use?

Side note, I love this car and it's by far my lowest total cost of ownership vehicle I've ever owned. However, the 151R sized battery is annoying to get replaced. Stores typically have only a single option in stock, if at all.

The cheap battery tender is what I've got and it's been great. They sell pigtails you can permanently install and run somewhere easy to reach.

Mines hanging out the front bumper of my accord and I just plug it in. No hood popping required.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
Last time we discussed battery tenders, the consensus was CTek. I like mine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

eddiewalker posted:

Last time we discussed battery tenders, the consensus was CTek. I like mine.

Same. I've got one (.8 amp) permanently installed on the tractor that gets plugged in with the block heater and then the "fancy" 4.3 model that cost almost $100 and has recovered like 5 $90+ batteries in it's "recovery mode". It owes me nothing.