Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
I'm confused how Trump even managed to get something like sensitive nuclear weapon information out of the White House and why it even on paper in the first place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Star Man posted:

I'm confused how Trump even managed to get something like sensitive nuclear weapon information out of the White House and why it even on paper in the first place.

He was the president. The president decides what's classified and what's not, sets security policy, and is at the top of the executive and military org charts. If you want the president to take national security more seriously, elect a better president

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 17 hours!

Paracaidas posted:

On sourcing, WaPo kindly gives us onestop shopping in the piece quoted above:

Compare that to

The first sources, about the documents, know some but not all of what investigators were seeking. They do not know the more relevant and newsworthy piece: what was recovered

Might be someone conducting the investigation who either has a very narrow view with little sense of the overall picture (but is nonetheless able to convince WaPo they know what's up). Might be someone conducting it who knows way more than they're telling (which raises the question of why they'd only partially leak, particularly when it seems as if what they've shared is to be disseminated officially shortly). Might be someone(or the lawyers of someone) who has been interviewed by investigators, as target, witness, or both (not perfect, most wouldn't say this leak helps Trump, but does a tidy job of explaining the lack of present knowledge and incomplete understanding of the investigation's scope).

Might be someone else entirely. But on the shortlist of people who'd know part of what was being sought, are willing to talk to the press, are found credible by real outlets, and are unable or unwilling to share detailed scope and the outcome of the search.... I lean away from the investigators and towards Trumpworld and witnesses.

YMMV.

Agreed that this is relatively unlikely to be from investigators; because the media are all now expressing caution about the extent and details of the original claim, it means they can't get more info from the original source- and that there were likely only a couple sources to provide the initial "nuclear" claim, and that the same information or leak is the basis for all public reporting on the claim.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

haveblue posted:

He was the president. The president decides what's classified and what's not, sets security policy, and is at the top of the executive and military org charts. If you want the president to take national security more seriously, elect a better president

It's Trump, so anything is possible. I just would think that there'd be some kind of measure to make sure that crap stays in a secure location and is only available to the President in a secure manner.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
I mean, it's Donald Trump, so I imagine the truth of the matter is far stupider than we can conceive up. Not to say it's not serious, just that the circumstances will be absolutely, mind-bogglingly dumb and weird if/when we learn the full truth.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.
Let's see how many federal employees get shot at tomorrow

https://twitter.com/abughazalehkat/status/1557889531935850499

edit:

probably not long until someone gets hurt at this rate.

https://twitter.com/thislouis/status/1557797401796038657

Heck Yes! Loam! fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Aug 12, 2022

Fart Amplifier
Apr 12, 2003

Star Man posted:

It's Trump, so anything is possible. I just would think that there'd be some kind of measure to make sure that crap stays in a secure location and is only available to the President in a secure manner.

There's not. This is why it's important not to elect Trump.

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009
Can a president get impeached after they are out of office? I know the question sounds dumb because that's basically what happened with Trump's 2nd impeachment but what I mean is can the impeachment be initiated say almost 2 years after he's out of office? I don't remember the specifics but wasn't Trump's 2nd impeachment started while he was still in office?

marshmonkey
Dec 5, 2003

I was sick of looking
at your stupid avatar
so
have a cool cat instead.

:v:
Switchblade Switcharoo
https://twitter.com/mc_nietzsche/status/1557927774593204225?s=21&t=XiCs0HfTBgY8_4ofimUZaA

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

Is the location of all of our land-based ICBMs basically known or are a bunch of them hidden in classified locations? The real prize would be anything that spelled out ways to locate our boomers (no not those boomers 👴, the submarines that carry trident 2s or whatever those sea based ICBMs are called nowadays)

Our adversaries would basically pay all of the money for such information

cr0y fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Aug 12, 2022

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

cr0y posted:

Is the location of all of our land-based ICBMs basically known or are a bunch of them hidden in classified locations? The real prize would be anything that spelled out ways to locate our boomers (no not those boomers 👴, the submarines that carry trident 2s or whatever those sea based ICBMs are called nowadays)

Our adversaries would basically pay all of the money for such information

Anyone with a real need to know where our missile silos are has likely already found them with spy satellites

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/maggienyt/status/1557934998782631936?s=21&t=srLKxHaVmrcfGYjr9dahEg

Hopefully this will be a Don Jr. “The truth will set me free… wait that’s not a real thing?” moment.

Pleasant Friend
Dec 30, 2008

Now they're gonna have to reset all the nuclear codes and that's such a pain in the rear end

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

Charliegrs posted:

Can a president get impeached after they are out of office? I know the question sounds dumb because that's basically what happened with Trump's 2nd impeachment but what I mean is can the impeachment be initiated say almost 2 years after he's out of office? I don't remember the specifics but wasn't Trump's 2nd impeachment started while he was still in office?

Congress can try but won’t get a conviction because Republicans won’t let it happen.

But if the fantasy land where they did let it happen there’s an excellent chance the Supreme Court actually wouldn’t stop it because if Republicans actually provide the votes it means being Never Trump actually became an accepted Republican position for once.

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

dpkg chopra posted:

https://twitter.com/maggienyt/status/1557934998782631936?s=21&t=srLKxHaVmrcfGYjr9dahEg

Hopefully this will be a Don Jr. “The truth will set me free… wait that’s not a real thing?” moment.

Well that's a bold move and very uncharacteristic for someone who usually spends his free time jamming people up in court.

I wonder if his new billionaire lawyer man or whatever he is called basically said "this poo poo is going to come out so plan accordingly"

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

I'm guessing his lawyers (of dubious quality, who is going to work for him?) either told him that he would not be able to stop the Feds from unsealing the warrant, or that his best chance at hanging a future jury is to start attacking everything now.

ryde
Sep 9, 2011

God I love young girls

cr0y posted:

Well that's a bold move and very uncharacteristic for someone who usually spends his free time jamming people up in court.

I wonder if his new billionaire lawyer man or whatever he is called basically said "this poo poo is going to come out so plan accordingly"

It's definitely the latter. He's already committed to "wanting" the release, so if he opposed it now it'd look bad. Well, worse. Plus it probably wouldn't work anyway.

If he really wanted it to be released he would have done it. He thought he could just claim that they didn't get a copy of the warrant and demand the release and the DOJ would do nothing, but they called his bluff.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 17 hours!
It is possible, though unlikely, that the nuclear leak was itself some sort of 12th dimensional chess play by Trump et al to undermine the warrant. If so, it'll be apparent pretty fast.

volts5000
Apr 7, 2009

It's electric. Boogie woogie woogie.

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

Let's see how many federal employees get shot at tomorrow

https://twitter.com/abughazalehkat/status/1557889531935850499

edit:

probably not long until someone gets hurt at this rate.

https://twitter.com/thislouis/status/1557797401796038657

Yeah, someone is definitely going to go after the judge. Fox News is counting on it.

https://twitter.com/atrupar/status/1557926941646282752?s=20&t=Wo2NdBtsNTFIX7StV3XeCw

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

I think we all know because of the Rosenbergs, but if Trump is guilty of literally no joke giving nuclear secrets to a foreign nation while he was no longer president, then that is at least life in prison, and possibly death.

If Trump (which is a lot more likely) was just a stupid careless spiteful moron who took nuclear weapon secrets, lied about taking them, and refused to give them back when told, but there was not any actual disclosure to a foreign nation, then that apparently gets you up to 10 years in prison.

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

Did they actually recover the documents? I see that they sought them but not that they found them.

negativeneil
Jul 8, 2000

"Personally, I think he's done a great job of being down to earth so far."
He's going to say tomorrow that unfortunately his new lawyer insists on actually opposing the release. He really wants you all to see it. What a shame.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Crows Turn Off posted:

Did they actually recover the documents? I see that they sought them but not that they got them.

We'll know soon. The FBI didn't just want to reveal the warrant, they also wanted to unseal a (possibly partially redacted) inventory of things they took, which they also already gave to Trump's lawyers.

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

Crows Turn Off posted:

Did they actually recover the documents? I see that they sought them but not that they found them.

I don't think we know but if they existed and weren't destroyed I'm going to assume the warrant was specifically targeting them and the raid team wouldn't leave until they recovered whatever was still left.

This really feels different from all the other law enforcement/investigation poo poo. Whatever it was inside those boxes, the DOJ is NOT loving around anymore.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

cr0y posted:

I don't think we know but if they existed and weren't destroyed I'm going to assume the warrant was specifically targeting them and the raid team wouldn't leave until they recovered whatever was still left.

That is a good point. They didn't stay very long, if they were having difficulties finding whatever they were looking for, they would have almost torn that place apart.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

Rigel posted:

That is a good point. They didn't stay very long, if they were having difficulties finding whatever they were looking for, they would have almost torn that place apart.

Weren't they there for like 8 hours?

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.

cr0y posted:

This really feels different from all the other law enforcement/investigation poo poo. Whatever it was inside those boxes, the DOJ is NOT loving around anymore.

Garland was AD Attorney General on the Oklahoma City Bombing. As soon as this whole thing started targeting the Feds Trump was done. The GOP just walked right into it.

Pro read article about it below.
https://twitter.com/BlueGreen625/status/1557120844198920197Also, Mary Trump just called Garland a Ninja on MSNBC.

-Blackadder- fucked around with this message at 06:31 on Aug 12, 2022

bloodysabbath
May 1, 2004

OH NO!

Civilized Fishbot posted:

You're saying people here on this forum "agree with" Nazi dog whistles?

Any random set of numbers can be manipulated into the Nazi numbers or 666 or whatever you want to find with sufficient creativity, it either drives you crazy or makes you look crazy and either way it's totally unproductive to combatting fascism and reactionary politics

The perpetually online right wing has tried, at various points to varying degrees of success, to make the following into “dog whistles,” and it’s not even a complete list:

- The “OK” gesture
- A cartoon frog
- Taylor Swift
- White milk
- Cereals
- 1980s and 90s McDonalds mascot Mac Tonight, aka The Moonman

Half or more of the reason they do this is because by claiming a new, seemingly innocuous thing as “theirs,” they know 100% they can get a rise out of the perpetually, terminally online people on the other side.

I’m not saying fascists aren’t a concern, but I am saying we should be so far past the point of indulging them when they try to claim, say, Lego as a secret symbol next month or something.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
.....white milk?

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

-Blackadder- posted:

Also, Mary Trump just called Garland a Ninja on MSNBC.
What context, was it like a compliment or an insult? I'm guessing compliment as if i'm remembering Mary is one of the Trumps whose not the biggest fan of Donald, but I mean it really could go either way.

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

Mulva posted:

.....white milk?

Soy milk specifically or any plant based milk.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Mulva posted:

.....white milk?

It was a pseudoscience-based meme for a while in alt-right circles that they thought white people had an innately superior ability to metabolize milk, and that black people somehow couldn't...? So for a while there in like 2015 or so, every dapper young racist from Richard Spencer on down put a milk emoji in their twitter handles to dog whistle their white supremacy to other white supremacists.

It didn't last very long because it was already turbo dumb, and the died a swift internet death after the terms "alt-right" and "milk" became inextricably linked to alt-right streamer Baked Alaska panickedly screaming "I NEED MILK! SOMEONE GET ME MILK! I NEED MIIIIIIILK!" and making an absolute fool out of himself and his fellow milk drinkers after he accidentally maced himself during the Unite The Right riot.

nine-gear crow fucked around with this message at 07:23 on Aug 12, 2022

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

How does a federal criminal trial work when some of the evidence is classified?

ArmyGroup303
Apr 10, 2004

If this were real life, I would have piloted this helicopter with you still in it.

cr0y posted:

How does a federal criminal trial work when some of the evidence is classified?

I suspect it'll be similar to any major espionage case like Robert Hassan and Aldrich Ames.

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

#StopTheSeal

I seriously can't even believe this poo poo. Like I am waiting to hear that by nuclear they mean like power plants or something or that this leak is fake and it's to set the bar so high that when it comes out that it's only light treason people are like "oh well then who cares" and Fox can tut tut about how overblown the fake news coverage has been.

The worst part is that a lot of this information doesn't even exist in digital form. Until trump and his moron family started likely taking pictures of them with their phones so that poo poo is gonna spread like wildfire to any country with a solid cyber warfare division.

I really feel like the truth is gonna be so much God drat worse than what we are even speculating. Like trump could be trying to shop the information around, or he was being blackmailed to steal it, like who the gently caress knows, anything is possible at this point.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
idk why you would even want that poo poo around, it's a huge liability at best and almost literally radioactive at worst. Like there's no legit reason you'd want boxes of that stuff just hanging out in your basement

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

Herstory Begins Now posted:

idk why you would even want that poo poo around, it's a huge liability at best and almost literally radioactive at worst. Like there's no legit reason you'd want boxes of that stuff just hanging out in your basement

Because he's up to his eyeballs in foreign debt and that poo poo is basically priceless.

Also he's an idiot and so far has been untouchable from a consequences perspective.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Pleasant Friend posted:

Now they're gonna have to reset all the nuclear codes and that's such a pain in the rear end
Every single one will have to be painstakingly changed to 0-0-0-1.

TheIncredulousHulk
Sep 3, 2012

-Blackadder- posted:

Garland was AD Attorney General on the Oklahoma City Bombing. As soon as this whole thing started targeting the Feds Trump was done. The GOP just walked right into it.

Pro read article about it below.
https://twitter.com/BlueGreen625/status/1557120844198920197Also, Mary Trump just called Garland a Ninja on MSNBC.

Feel like you might consider pumping the brakes a little bit on declaring Trump done until he's actually done

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Jaxyon posted:

It's not secret code numbers, it's dog whistles, and many people are very good at hiding white supremacy because racists are very good and figuring out the language of tolerance and weaponizing it. What is obvious to some, is hidden to others.

I agree that upon further looking at that guy it probably wasn't his goal but telling folks they're jumping at shadows when the entire goal of that strategy is for marginalized groups to be told "you're jumping at shadows" is missing a portion of how white supremacy is accomplished via dog whistles.

"What do you mean 14 words...what? I'm just talking about protecting my childrens future as a parent? man you people are jumping at shadows with this wierd number poo poo"

yeah and hulk hogan signs his tweets with HH for "heil hitler" :rolleyes: