Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Panic! At The Tesco posted:

I thought the red light was just part of Gordo going space-crazy, though I haven't seen that season in a while so could be wrong.

I seem to recall that they focused on the light after Gordo left the moon to show that he wasn't hallucinating it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014
I think it was just a general "the soviets are watching" thing.

Dessel
Feb 21, 2011

Finally caught up to the series and thread this season and I am not happy how the Soviets are portrayed, and I live in a tiny country next to Russia. Like the regime did awful poo poo constantly and there's too much apologism about it, but I'd like to see a human side of the soviets too. I mean it's an American series so they're not gonna bother with portraying the soviet space program in similar detail as the US, but everything about the USSR feels lazy and stereotyped to hell.

Also talking of Ipods and electronics being visible ahead of their time a Lenovo Thinkpad laptop bothered me in the space shuttle. Would that IBM deal been allowed to go through and exactly what is the role of China in this alternative world? Guessing pretty much the same as ours? I know it's hard to prop around a show like this, though.

edit: and yeah I know ThinkPads are being used in the ISS and the space program in general

Dessel fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Aug 9, 2022

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

I'm happy they finally got their characters saying "Roger" instead of "Copy". On set, when someone tells you something over the walkie, you acknowledge with "copy", even though the military/NASA way is to say "roger" and if you're another person listening in who needs to hear it, you'll say "copy". TV writers just write in everybody saying copy because they are so used to hearing the crew on set say it.

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 7 days!)

Finished S2. Didn't like the majority of the season, but that final episode was pretty excellent on a pure entertainment level. I kind of knew Gordo wasn't making it out of S2 due to looking at the IMDB page early on and seeing his episode count, but I didn't catch that Tracy was also dying at that point. Gordo's arc in S2 was the best part of the season for me, I really sympathised with him and was even rooting for he and Tracy to get back together. The interpersonal drama on this show is usually it's weakest element, but they tied it in to the space stuff here and managed to land a good story. I didn't quite tear up but I was close when it became clear Gordo and Tracy weren't making it back inside on time.

Also Sergei being revealed to be working Margo as an asset was deflating. I actually like those two together. It was unclear whether Sergei has always been working her, and whether he does have feelings, but regardless it's a bummer.

Dessel posted:

Finally caught up to the series and thread this season and I am not happy how the Soviets are portrayed, and I live in a tiny country next to Russia. Like the regime did awful poo poo constantly and there's too much apologism about it, but I'd like to see a human side of the soviets too. I mean it's an American series so they're not gonna bother with portraying the soviet space program in similar detail as the US, but everything about the USSR feels lazy and stereotyped to hell.

Yeah, I'd say the portrayal of the US and the USSR in this is pretty pathetic. I'm just turning my head off to that part of it now, it's a B show, but in the first few episodes I thought they were going to go a smarter way with this by having USSR put a woman on the moon first - maybe recognising that both of these juggernauts were capable of good and bad things, taking a wider view of what might be possible -

But nah, it's credulous american jingoism. Anything good that happens, the US has to initiate. There's almost no perspective of the other side, and the little that is there, is cliched crap - cosmonauts being desperate for a good ole USA hamborger. of course he'd want to defect, you ever tried russian food? i laugh a lot watching this show, but not for the reasons they're hoping.

Reagan's presence in S2 felt like a parody sometimes, too. I get that his actual politics aren't really in the show's remit but there's just no awareness of it at all, all we get is him talking on the phone exactly like he's giving a stump speech. Nobody even rolls their eyes or anything. It feels a lot like the show's idea of humanity coming together is the world just giving in and accepting that americans are the good guys, okay?

so it's a different, and worse, show than i thought it was in s1. looking forward to s3 shenanigans though. molly is still my favourite, i was glad she was in all of S2, kept worrying they were going to kill her off. apparently she's not in s3 much, but at least she's gonna be there.

roomtone fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Aug 9, 2022

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Desk Lamp posted:

I think it was just a general "the soviets are watching" thing.

Yeah, what the red light itself was isn't important. It was just part of a Soviet monitoring post, or on one of their suits, or a rover, or anything like that.

It was followed up on when Ed found the monitoring equipment and cosmonaut at the dig site.

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

when it first happened i thought it was going to be aliens, but not revealed as aliens until season 4 or something.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

roomtone posted:

Also Sergei being revealed to be working Margo as an asset was deflating. I actually like those two together. It was unclear whether Sergei has always been working her, and whether he does have feelings, but regardless it's a bummer.
It seemed unambiguous to me that Sergei has had genuine feelings for Margo for a long time, but the KGB monitors him closely and forced him to leverage that relationship for more and more intel.

The part that was harder to believe is that the CIA or FBI wouldn't similarly be monitoring Margo very closely.

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

yeah he did look bummed out after the call, it's just that i haven't seen s3 yet so i don't know if he'd been planted to do that from the start or if it was something his superiors used once it became clear they were hitting it off. i guess i'll find out soon enough.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

tokin opposition posted:

The entire space race bullshit was stupid dick measuring that got like four people killed, no sure why you think the stupidest guy with the biggest dick doesn't win in a dick measuring contest.

The idiot driving a qaud bike through the finishing line at a marathon is not the winner of the marathon, nor has he accomplished anything noteworthy. It's just some idiot on a quad bike.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)

GABA ghoul posted:

The idiot driving a qaud bike through the finishing line at a marathon is not the winner of the marathon, nor has he accomplished anything noteworthy. It's just some idiot on a quad bike.

I shall defer to your lived experience as a dipshit

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
This show rubber bands between super compelling and depressingly boring like nothing else I've ever seen, gently caress.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I thought they actually made Americans look like bloodthirsty idiots [E: or at least happy to interpret everything in the worst way possible] in S2, it seemed pretty unambiguous since the response was immediately to send space marines. They just didn't go anywhere or develop the moral ambiguity further.

And yet every time I say it, I get a 6er.

mobby_6kl fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Aug 10, 2022

fischtick
Jul 9, 2001

CORGO, THE DESTROYER

Fun Shoe

Tighclops posted:

This show rubber bands between super compelling and depressingly boring like nothing else I've ever seen, gently caress.

My wife and I have referred to the show as Depressing Space Dads so much that the real name sometimes escapes me. Not sure what we're going to do when the last Space Dad eats it.

jackhunter64
Aug 28, 2008

Keep it up son, take a look at what you could have won

fischtick posted:

My wife and I have referred to the show as Depressing Space Dads so much that the real name sometimes escapes me. Not sure what we're going to do when the last Space Dad eats it.

You should watch the reboot Battlestar Galactica for the best Space Dad (singular), and then DS9 for the best Space Dads (multiple).

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

irl, they absolutely would have aborted the mars baby as soon as they found out about it

latinotwink1997
Jan 2, 2008

Taste my Ball of Hope, foul dragon!

I’d be highly amused if this caught on outside this thread and starting causing probes…because of the implication.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

latinotwink1997 posted:

I’d be highly amused if this caught on outside this thread and starting causing probes…because of the implication.

The gently caress are you talking about

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
Yea i'm lost. Are you implying Biden is gay? That the actress is gay (she is, and I believe just got engaged)? And the "because of the implication" quote from IASIP has completely thrown me for a loop.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I think people used to get probed for just posting "im gay" as a reply in threads.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

im gay and probing me for saying so is a hate crime

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

tokin opposition posted:

im gay and probing me for saying so is a hate crime

Ain't no right to shitpost in the bill'o'rights, commie-rad :911:

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010
the show mostly portrays the Soviets as either inscrutable aliens or cartoon villains, with the occasional rare humanizing moments treated as unusual and noteworthy exceptions to the norm, and even those usually being subverted in some way later. I don't know if I mind, though, because from what we do get in the show, I don't know if I'd trust the writers to actually handle a non-American perspective on events in a way that doesn't suck rear end. Giving us nothing at least leaves some room for the imagination.

The stupidest part so far, to me, is still the guy immediately wanting to defect to the people who just shot him and burned his coworker alive in front of him for no reason. I get that defections happened - on both sides, including the occasional rare un-defection where a defector went back - but 'I am ready to entrust my life to the bloodthirsty morons who just committed murder on someone I presumably know very well, and tried to do the same to me' stretches plausibility past its breaking point. It does make the Soviet response make sense, because if the other side said 'yeah we killed one of your guys and the other one wants to defect, we're keeping him, bye', I would absolutely not believe them for a second and would assume they were just kidnapping the guy.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Finale up. Watching the recap I fully expect next season to open with Karen Baldwin somehow becoming Queen of Earth.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

In Mypos, only the strong survive.

I heard Push It to the Limit in my mind the SECOND I saw that. Thanks ytmnd.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.
I'm 2min in and already laughing, that was the shot of the step on mars from the end of season 2! My man was first!

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

This opening reminds me of one of the best episodes of LOST yet the episode shares a name with the consensus worst episode.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

muscles like this! posted:

Finale up. Watching the recap I fully expect next season to open with Karen Baldwin somehow becoming Queen of Earth.

that aged poorly.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
a time skip to 2003 with no hints of how the Mars mission ended and what’s going on with space programs outside of Margo in the USSR. Excited for next season.

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret

Didn't expect them to go that hard with the Jimmy subplot, I guess they had to get their OKC parallel in.

Mars prison seems kind of a poo poo call, I mean everyone hates Danny but solitude?

Still miss the concept of the tease from last season that was a great "oh poo poo!"

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
Well, that's a loving ending. I went from "ok this poo poo is getting predictable" too: "wait, what".

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!
That was a fun season finale, although not nearly as good as the season 2 finale. They did just kind of end everything without any resolution whatsoever, and then did an 8 year time jump. Could have been handled better.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I'm really surprised Ed survived. That seemed like a perfect time to write him out.

CygnusTM
Oct 11, 2002

So what do we think Danny is going to do with Chekhov’s literal gun?

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

Space solitary seems kind of harsh for Danny, as a big a shitbag as he is. And unfortunately, we have another season of wondering when he'll blurt out "Ed, it was me. I hosed Karen."

My first thought when I saw the 2003 time skip and heard Radiohead was "wow, they're almost caught up to us" for just a second before I realized that I'm old as gently caress and 2003 was basically 20 years ago.

xerxus
Apr 24, 2010
Grimey Drawer
1) Russia presumably exfiltrated Margo, so she's presumed to have died in the bombing. LOL that Molly is the one who gets the building named after her despite Margo being the one who really grew the organization. A nod back to the whole Gene Krantz only getting a plaque and a moment of silence when he died.

2) It sucks that they did the whole "catching Kelly" off screen. I would have loved to see a few more reactions to North Korea winning the Mars race. I suppose they didn't want to commit to any reactions in case they change their minds for Season 4.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

ShowTime posted:

Well, that's a loving ending. I went from "ok this poo poo is getting predictable" too: "wait, what".

Yeah this.

I thought it was weird early on in the season that Jimmy's friends big score was just taking his parents statue. It all clicked once they showed they were armed outside of JSC. Also I didn't realize Molly had died till the newspaper scene but in retrospect, that was a great send off for her character. She owned. Though sad this likely means no more Wayne and his Gooballs. Margot being alive in the Soviet Union was also a shocker.

Also

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

xerxus posted:

I would have loved to see a few more reactions to North Korea winning the Mars race. I suppose they didn't want to commit to any reactions in case they change their minds for Season 4.

It would probably be a military parade with huge crowds in North Korea and everywhere else in the world people would say "Holy poo poo, that's crazy" around the water cooler and go on with their day.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
What a crazy episode. I realized that they can't kill off Ed, because he's the only one who speaks any Korean. I guess they were kind of done with Molly, and that was a great send off for her. Saving people in 0 visibility after a disaster is a great way for her to go. I feel like Karen didn't need to die, she was still alive when Jimmy found her, they could have left that a bit more ambiguous. Unless they did, and the "i'm sorry" was about Karen being exploded, not killed. Also, loving el oh el and Danny being loving marooned on Mars in the soyuz capsule the Korean guy was stinking up with his empty cans. Like I get that he killed a bunch of people, but that's just going to drive him crazy. At least leave him at the NASA base or something. Can't wait for the next season. I wonder what 2003 will bring. Lame that Margo got disappeared to Russia. She should have stuck it out and tried to explain herself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
A wild guess at what happens next season life is discovered on Europa.