Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jeff Fatwood
Jun 17, 2013

Klyith posted:

Linus didn't bring this up or comment on it at all currently, this is 4chan shitlords who Naomi Wu decided to give attention to.

Like, he probably shouldn't have responded that way back in 2021 (regardless of whether he did something wrong or it was just a miscommunication).

But also, if you don't enjoy getting getting bad attention from 4chan shitlords, don't link to 4chan threads and screenshot 4chan posts on your twitter. There are far more white incel chuds there than in the LTT fanbase or anywhere else.

She's been hosed with for years and linking a closed thread after it's been closed probably gives her as much harm as not linking it.

And he definitely shouldn't have responded like he did, he's a huge moron.

e. :negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CordlessPen
Jan 8, 2004

I told you so...

Jeff Fatwood posted:

And he definitely shouldn't have responded like he did, he's a huge moron.
My instincts tell me that twitter is where Linus is going to get the dumbest, but I'm still going to watch tomorrow's WAN live, just in case.

Edit: Oh, hey, I'm not making any sense, this is old news and I hadn't noticed.

CordlessPen fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Aug 11, 2022

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

Klyith posted:

Like, he probably shouldn't have responded that way back in 2021

2018, the event happened after this video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sZs4NDC4yrI&t=20s

mewse
May 2, 2006

The Grumbles posted:

Used to do public facing comms work for orgs and I can safely say it is never ever a good idea for the CEO or equivalent to have unfettered access to the work social media.

If you work in communications or PR the number one best thing you can do is change the Twitter password and not tell the boss the new one.

Seems like every face-rake Linus is stepping on recently is a combination of his desire "to be a real company" combined with his insistence that they re-create everything a real company does from scratch

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
He really needs a PR person though. Too stubborn to realize it

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Inept posted:

making sure to put a disclaimer about maybe linus isn't perfect before the multi-sentence making GBS threads on the woman who accused him sure is popular this page

quoted for the new page where it will happen again im sure

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

CoolCab posted:

I was talking about the "my reputation is impeccable" twitter screenshot, which is a bad response.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

It doesn't even seem like Linus is being accused of anything? Maybe he should shut the gently caress up

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Tiny Timbs posted:

he should shut the gently caress up

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
Hello Linus this is your audence speaking. I am advising you today to please keep posting this poo poo

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Linus should realize that as a white male in tech, he will automatically garner a gaggle of also white incel chuds who will absolutely pounce on anyone who decries his name, especially if that person isnt white or male, and he should act accordingly

Uh, by doing what exactly? If he does nothing the idiots will brigade, if he goes on the offensive they'll be worse. The only realistic option he has is explain why the situation was misunderstood from his perspective and they'll brigade just as hard. I honestly don't get how you're supposed to handle that kind of situation whilst causing minimal damage and anybody who says they do is not in that position so knows gently caress all either.

Jeff Fatwood
Jun 17, 2013

CoolCab posted:

Hello Linus this is your audence speaking. I am advising you today to please keep posting this poo poo

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
As far as I can see he hasn't posted anything about that lately?

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC
YouTube is a drama farm so let's not collectively trip over ourselves assuming that they're all acting in utmost good faith.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Charles Leclerc posted:

Uh, by doing what exactly? If he does nothing the idiots will brigade, if he goes on the offensive they'll be worse. The only realistic option he has is explain why the situation was misunderstood from his perspective and they'll brigade just as hard. I honestly don't get how you're supposed to handle that kind of situation whilst causing minimal damage and anybody who says they do is not in that position so knows gently caress all either.

Not lead with his impeccable reputation for starters. There were a bunch of ways to respond there and that wasnt it

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Not lead with his impeccable reputation for starters. There were a bunch of ways to respond there and that wasnt it

It's a fair point on the indefensible wording but responding at all just magnifies it.

Idk, I struggle with my own thoughts on it because I feel bad thinking "this person seems to leave a wake of controversy wherever they go and they're clearly monetising it" whilst at the same time thinking that everybody deserves to be heard and listened to.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
Excited to see Linus' list of people who did show up to his hotel room at midnight and what happened, and for it to not include Wu

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Impeccable reputation is cringe

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Charles Leclerc posted:

The only realistic option he has is explain why the situation was misunderstood from his perspective and they'll brigade just as hard. I honestly don't get how you're supposed to handle that kind of situation whilst causing minimal damage and anybody who says they do is not in that position so knows gently caress all either.

Don't respond publicly at all. If it was a misunderstanding, reach out to the person privately to apologize for your poor communication / bad phrasing / lack of understanding about how the recipient might interpret things (especially a woman who gets unwelcome sexual attention all the time). If that doesn't help, still don't say anything unless asked for comment by press or something.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Soul Glo posted:

Excited to see Linus' list of people who did show up to his hotel room at midnight and what happened, and for it to not include Wu

1. Room service. Smelled like cigarettes

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Wu is a pretty complicated presence online, she's usually right about stuff but will also beef with pretty much anyone keen to tweet in her vicinity. She will scrap it out with people in sweden with a dozen followers. I don't think there's a lot of planning before she hits send.

well why not fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Aug 12, 2022

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Seems like they're perfect for each other tbh. They both love to tweet controversial poo poo.

avoid doorways
Jun 6, 2010

'twas brillig
Gun Saliva
Looking forward to the WAN show where Linus will list and name every women he's ever interacted with

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

what if his name Was pronounced the other linus.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Cavauro posted:

what if his name Was pronounced the other linus.

Linux tech tips

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
what if he changed his legal middle name to tech and last name to tips

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

She's a fantastic storyteller and hearing her talk about the hard circumstances that made things come out the way they did, and how she eventually found someone who helped her after she completely broke down made me tear up.

YerDa Zabam
Aug 13, 2016

CoolCab posted:

I read that this guy has brain damage.
The Stranger Parts guy does now too sadly

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

Tiny Timbs posted:

It doesn't even seem like Linus is being accused of anything? Maybe he should shut the gently caress up

the more i thought about it the more this is kind of the broader backlash, most recently to the backpack pricing thing but with other LTT missteps of late - the pivot to ultraluxury home building and superpremium tech products for instance. have you noticed that the like call to actions, that's whenever a youtuber asks the audience to do something either directly or indirectly, your "like and subscribe", but for merch and floatplane and stuff has significantly increased - no one enjoys this stuff. audience is dissatisfied and the shine comes off the aww gee sweet youtube meme man and now everyone is digging around for dirt.

the narrative that linus is out of touch rich and maybe hollywood sleazy really only sticks because of these factors, imo.

pofcorn
May 30, 2011
Linus Just the Tip

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

CoolCab posted:

Is this thumbnail a face swap?

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
Never trust a guy that wears socks and sandals past his mailbox

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

CoolCab posted:

the more i thought about it the more this is kind of the broader backlash, most recently to the backpack pricing thing but with other LTT missteps of late - the pivot to ultraluxury home building and superpremium tech products for instance. have you noticed that the like call to actions, that's whenever a youtuber asks the audience to do something either directly or indirectly, your "like and subscribe", but for merch and floatplane and stuff has significantly increased - no one enjoys this stuff. audience is dissatisfied and the shine comes off the aww gee sweet youtube meme man and now everyone is digging around for dirt.

the narrative that linus is out of touch rich and maybe hollywood sleazy really only sticks because of these factors, imo.

I disagree with this. There are a few factors, none of which are 'nobody likes to be told to like and subscribe or asked to buy merch', which are a normal part and parcel of youtuber content. I think most people filter that stuff out.

The narrative that he's out of touch rich is because he's by far the most successful tech youtuber in the space, with the biggest business which employs the most staff across multiple channels. He's under greater scrutiny because his entire business operation is based on him being trustworthy and - crucially - holding companies to account on the behalf of regular people. As his own company gets bigger, and which doesn't just make content but actively sells objects for computer nerds, much like the companies he's scrutinizing, people are understandably holding him to that same level of scrutiny.

It's also the case that there's been a supply chain crisis (in which most people haven't been able to afford any of the fun stuff his channels often treat as covetous), and there's soon to be a pretty extreme global rescission (in which few people going to able to afford high-end computers as a hobby anyhow). So videos of him prancing about in his mansion or giving his employees an extreme tech glow up probably feel increasingly out of touch. I mean, LTT's whole business strategy is about riding the algorithm with hype for new stuff for maximum views. Compare this with GN Steve, who is purposefully a ton more measured, and is pretty clear in his reviews when he thinks something is overkill.

This all - alongside his tech-brain CEO public comms - combines to create a situation where, judging by places like the LTT subreddit, his audience is feeling less and less like he's ''one of us''. The best thing he can do, which he'll never do because he seems to think he's key to his channel's success, is take more of a step back, focus on running things (or pretending to run things while his wife does all the actual business management), and let his team - most of whom are excellent - take the reins on content more.

For example I really like the guy they have doing their Apple channel, who's videos are often thoughtful and have fun with their production.

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
his entire brand up until, what, this year, was dramatized tech stuff with a bunch of sexual innuendo thrown into every video, any incel audience he has is unsurprising. all the more reason he should be careful with where he directs his audience when he gets called out by women

i also don't think people have a problem with how much money he has; if anything, he doesn't flaunt it enough like other "influencers". so we end up with the "cool boss" image instead. this also helps him wave away scandals with him being "clumsy", which is also a typical nerd excuse

as with most thing, i think a lot of any possible backlash against ltt is that they never cared that much about consumers in the first place, because it was more about dialling up the thumbnail and title rhetoric on videos for engagement more than anything else. but to not call out ltt on this also makes fans look like suckers. consumer kayfabe for lack of a better term

CordlessPen
Jan 8, 2004

I told you so...

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Linux tech tips

Hilarious story: Back in the day LTT would show up in my YouTube recommendations but I wouldn't watch it because I thought it said "Linux tech tips".

Edit:

kliras posted:

i also don't think people have a problem with how much money he has; if anything, he doesn't flaunt it enough like other "influencers". so we end up with the "cool boss" image instead. this also helps him wave away scandals with him being "clumsy", which is also a typical nerd excuse
He may not flash his wad like the Pauls do, but more and more of his videos went from "let's race to make a 500$ computer out of used parts from Craigslist Kijiji" to "Let's install this $40k server in my mansion". I don't think the point is necessarily to show off but it's a lot less relatable for the viewers.

CordlessPen fucked around with this message at 14:08 on Aug 12, 2022

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

The "INTEL GAVE US $9,000 TO SPEND ON A GAMING MACHINE" genre of videos could not be less interesting to me, since they invariably show off some relatively minor performance gain with tech that simply hasn't realized the benefit of manufacturing efficiencies.

kliras
Mar 27, 2021

Tiny Timbs posted:

The "INTEL GAVE US $9,000 TO SPEND ON A GAMING MACHINE" genre of videos could not be less interesting to me, since they invariably show off some relatively minor performance gain with tech that simply hasn't realized the benefit of manufacturing efficiencies.
love too see the squalor that employees of the second-biggest tech channel on youtube live in

power crystals
Jun 6, 2007

Who wants a belly rub??

kliras posted:

love too see the squalor that employees of the second-biggest tech channel on youtube live in

Linus showing off his literal mansion is hilarious when most of the people in the intel tech upgrade videos are living in a tiny apartment if not still living with their parents.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

Tiny Timbs posted:

The one with Dennis owned because he spent it all on things other then a computer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CordlessPen
Jan 8, 2004

I told you so...

power crystals posted:

Linus showing off his literal mansion is hilarious when most of the people in the intel tech upgrade videos are living in a tiny apartment if not still living with their parents.

It's especially bad for Anthony who's been there since the beginning, is 10 times as knowledgeable as Linus but lives in a basement apartment.