Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which August 16th release are you most looking forward to?
This poll is closed.
Blossom Tales 2: The Minotaur Prince [PC, Switch] – August 16 12 21.82%
Rollerdrome [PC, PS5, PS4] – August 16 31 56.36%
Tribes of Midgard [XSX, XBO, Switch] – August 16 5 9.09%
Way of the Hunter [PC, PS5, XSX] – August 16 7 12.73%
Total: 55 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

It's technically the third game in the series but changes almost everything other than being set in Akihabara and plays like a zero budget 'Tales of' game but worse than you can possibly imagine

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos

Sakurazuka posted:

It's technically the third game in the series but changes almost everything other than being set in Akihabara and plays like a zero budget 'Tales of' game but worse than you can possibly imagine

You can just say "A Tales of Game."

Tales of Berseria was the only good one and they hosed up the ending.

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

And yet if you were to call it sous vide you'd get a Michelin star

It's called a rethermalizer actually.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Feels Villeneuve posted:

what is the best one for a newcomer to the series

I thought they were all for jerkin it based on the last time they came up so whichever facilitates that the most

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Boba Pearl posted:

berseria's ending was outstanding, what the hell

now if you mean the final dungeon, absolutely co-signed

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Oxxidation posted:

berseria's ending was outstanding, what the hell

now if you mean the final dungeon, absolutely co-signed

Yeah the ending was great, what the heck?

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
The problem with Berseria is that it’s a prequel to Zesteria

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Here's the deal with Berseria: I need to get back to it.

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

I don't care if you're a star, the moon, or the whole damn sky, you need to come back down to earth and remember where you came from
You all are talking about Berseria while i'm still stuck in Vesperia!

I've got like, fives games to play to catch up to that.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Arrrthritis posted:

You all are talking about Berseria while i'm still stuck in Vesperia!

I've got like, fives games to play to catch up to that.

You can just play only the good one, theyre not even connected stories and just barely mechanically.

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
Tales of Berseria Ending Spoiler Velvet should have gotten a happy ending in the real world, not a never ending dream of some fantasy. It's not even her, it's just some reincarnation with none of the memories or trials or tribulations. It's a happy ending from some random person that never existed. Velvet deserves a happy ending goddamnit.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Boba Pearl posted:

Tales of Berseria Ending Spoiler Velvet should have gotten a happy ending in the real world, not a never ending dream of some fantasy. It's not even her, it's just some reincarnation with none of the memories or trials or tribulations. It's a happy ending from some random person that never existed. Velvet deserves a happy ending goddamnit.

imho the point of the ending being written the way it was was that Velvet doesn’t deserve a happy ending in the traditional sense because she’s not a good person. I think she’s a great character, and the hand she was dealt was loving poo poo, and I like her, don’t get me wrong, but she’s willing to do bad things pretty much just for revenge while being aware that it’s basically incidental that Artorius was trying to do the JRPG villain thing of making everyone mindless drones to eliminate conflict.

Tbh if the game just ended with Velvet becoming humanized and waking off in the sunset with Phi it would have dragged the game down slightly even if part of me wanted that anyway.

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
I feel like, regardless of her motivations her actions largely speak for themselves, and she did immeasurable good while also being relatively harmless unless someone else sends her on some awful revenge spree. I think she was totally justified in her actions, she saved the world she definitely deserved a happy ending, people keep wanting to stop rewarding anti-heroes or villains who do good things, and I think at some point you have to accept that someone has to break the eggs, and their motivations is largely meaningless as long as the omelette gets made.

There's a certain section of the internet that pisses and moans when characters get any ending besides some bitter sweet slog fest, and I think we need to normalize just... having a well written happen ending. With everyone ending up Ok, not losing a crazy amount, and just having fun whacky adventures. There aren't enough RPGs and games that are just about having happy character moments and sweet bondings. gently caress even Rune Factory 4 you have to spend almost the entire game watching your dragon friend slowly die. Why can't we just have cool happy moments. I want a sacharine sweet game.

I want a Dark Souls game but all of the lore and everything that isn't directly the combat is how kicking rad and awesome and happy everyone is, and how each rear end in a top hat you kill gets a really cool afterlife.

Boba Pearl fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Aug 12, 2022

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
i recommend atelier

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

All the souls games do have positive ends though. It's a very optimistic series

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos

cheetah7071 posted:

i recommend atelier

unironically? I've never played one, but I'd be super down if this is what it's like.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Boba Pearl posted:

unironically? I've never played one, but I'd be super down if this is what it's like.

ryza 2 and sophie 2 have kinda bittersweet endings but literally the entire rest of the series matches what you were saying

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
i guess the dusk trilogy has a sort of melancholy air which may not be exactly what you want, but that still leaves a good half the modern series even with those caveats

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos

cheetah7071 posted:

i guess the dusk trilogy has a sort of melancholy air which may not be exactly what you want, but that still leaves a good half the modern series even with those caveats

I found the atelier thread and am trying to pick one now, there's too many :(

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Boba Pearl posted:

I found the atelier thread and am trying to pick one now, there's too many :(

unless the content warning is a deal breaker, or you're the kind of person who gets anxiety at time limits, I recommend starting with rorona and just going through arland

If either of those make you not want to play Rorona, I recommend starting with Lydie and Suelle instead

CubeTheory
Mar 26, 2010

Cube Reversal
I don't disagree with anything Cheetah said, but I think Ryza is a fine entry point as well. It's modernized in some ways and it's a good game. (most of them are good)

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
I love time limits, did they drop them from the series to appeal to a bigger audience or something?

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
yeah Ryza is also completely fine to start with

There's only two games in the entire modern series that I merely like instead of loving, and like, Lulua specifically is the only one where I think being a sequel makes it a bad entry point

it's hard to go wrong with just looking for sales and buying the cheapest one if you're stuck

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

hatty posted:

I love time limits, did they drop them from the series to appeal to a bigger audience or something?

I don't know for sure that that's the reason but I suspect it is. I've heard over and over people just getting incredibly anxious over extremely generous, nearly unfailable time limits

I'm a bit bummed they're gone because I love the gameplay they produce, but c'est la vie

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
Ok I bought it and it's installed gg ez, will tell you what I think.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

the several ateliers I played were all very sweet and cheerful and warm

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Boba Pearl posted:

I feel like, regardless of her motivations her actions largely speak for themselves, and she did immeasurable good while also being relatively harmless unless someone else sends her on some awful revenge spree. I think she was totally justified in her actions, she saved the world she definitely deserved a happy ending, people keep wanting to stop rewarding anti-heroes or villains who do good things, and I think at some point you have to accept that someone has to break the eggs, and their motivations is largely meaningless as long as the omelette gets made.

There's a certain section of the internet that pisses and moans when characters get any ending besides some bitter sweet slog fest, and I think we need to normalize just... having a well written happen ending. With everyone ending up Ok, not losing a crazy amount, and just having fun whacky adventures. There aren't enough RPGs and games that are just about having happy character moments and sweet bondings. gently caress even Rune Factory 4 you have to spend almost the entire game watching your dragon friend slowly die. Why can't we just have cool happy moments. I want a sacharine sweet game.

I want a Dark Souls game but all of the lore and everything that isn't directly the combat is how kicking rad and awesome and happy everyone is, and how each rear end in a top hat you kill gets a really cool afterlife.

if you want that then maybe look elsewhere than the game literally named after berserk

the reveal that innominat was actually laphicet engaging in the same miserable roleplay as "devourlord" velvet and the two of them finding equilibrium in a perpetual loop of mutual devouring was thematically one of the best ends i've seen in jrpg's period. it has nothing to do with what they deserved, they were both hopelessly damaged by their circumstances and could only resolve that damage by inflicting it entirely on each other instead of the rest of the world

The Dark Souls of Posters
Nov 4, 2011

Just Post, Kupo
I played Ayesha and found it delightful

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos

Oxxidation posted:

if you want that then maybe look elsewhere than the game literally named after berserk

the reveal that innominat was actually laphicet engaging in the same miserable roleplay as "devourlord" velvet and the two of them finding equilibrium in a perpetual loop of mutual devouring was thematically one of the best ends i've seen in jrpg's period. it has nothing to do with what they deserved, they were both hopelessly damaged by their circumstances and could only resolve that damage by inflicting it entirely on each other instead of the rest of the world

No I understood that, it's simply A.) Not true for any sapient thing, B.) Immensely lovely and C.) Needlessly edgy.

The idea of being too broken to heal is stupid, and the stories who choose that as a theme are broken at their core.

e: I also know absolutely nothing about berserk, and wouldn't immediately assume that every piece of media that has "berser" in the title has to do with some manga, just like I wouldn't assume any story that talks about having a single piece doesn't mean it has to do with one piece. Or that monster hunter must have thematic ties to hunter x hunter.

Boba Pearl fucked around with this message at 05:29 on Aug 12, 2022

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

:siren: warning: this turns into an unfocused e/n post :siren:

FFXIV is such a weird thing to me right now. I like it but I want to like it more. Idk if it’s the jrpg part or the mmo part, maybe both, but regardless the game has me teetering more and more towards “this is not the game for me”, sometimes even dipping into “this is not a good game, objectively (yes I have the power to rate things objectively)” at times. And yet I’m undoubtedly still having fun, like actual fun. Confusing

There’s a seasonal event happening in the game atm, and it comes with a tiny short story about a catboy learning that fake self-confidence is unattractive, and at the end, after I thought about it, I just went, “this is so bad, it’s so stupid”. Then I thought about the cinematic:gameplay ratio once again, and I thought about how across all of the quest storylines and characters I’ve encountered thus far in like 200 hours, they rarely ever make me feel an emotion, while the game thinks they should. They could all die in the next main quest cutscene and at most that would earn a “ooh I wonder what’s gonna happen next” from me

Yes I definitely need a break. I’ll have to compete with the FOMO mmos are built around (fommos, we call them) but I’ll manage

Video games

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Boba Pearl posted:

e: I also know absolutely nothing about berserk

why should the story be blamed for your ignorance of its source material

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos

Oxxidation posted:

why should the story be blamed for your ignorance of its source material

It's not, maybe the source material is also bad. Or it's adaptation of such is bad. I'm going to judge the story on it's own, and if they want me to keep something else in mind they should put it on the steam page when I purchase it.

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
This is all I had to go on when I bought the game:

Nowhere did it mention it was going to be akin to an edgy grimdark manga from the 90s (google says the first issue was 1989)

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
tbh while I don't think there's anything wrong with not wanting bittersweet endings, I am a little confused at the notion that jrpgs are all dark and edgy these days. Berseria felt extremely unusual in how much of a downer it was

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
It should've been a game about being the school club treasurer and call it tales of bursaria

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Jay Rust posted:

:siren: warning: this turns into an unfocused e/n post :siren:

FFXIV is such a weird thing to me right now. I like it but I want to like it more. Idk if it’s the jrpg part or the mmo part, maybe both, but regardless the game has me teetering more and more towards “this is not the game for me”, sometimes even dipping into “this is not a good game, objectively (yes I have the power to rate things objectively)” at times. And yet I’m undoubtedly still having fun, like actual fun. Confusing

There’s a seasonal event happening in the game atm, and it comes with a tiny short story about a catboy learning that fake self-confidence is unattractive, and at the end, after I thought about it, I just went, “this is so bad, it’s so stupid”. Then I thought about the cinematic:gameplay ratio once again, and I thought about how across all of the quest storylines and characters I’ve encountered thus far in like 200 hours, they rarely ever make me feel an emotion, while the game thinks they should. They could all die in the next main quest cutscene and at most that would earn a “ooh I wonder what’s gonna happen next” from me

Yes I definitely need a break. I’ll have to compete with the FOMO mmos are built around (fommos, we call them) but I’ll manage

Video games

Think it's burnout, you essentially played two games in a series back to back and then immediately started the third

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Boba Pearl posted:

Most Tales of games are above average with a decent amount being great and Berseria's ending was good, especially for having to be connected to the pile of crap that was Zesteria.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Boba Pearl posted:

This is all I had to go on when I bought the game:

Nowhere did it mention it was going to be akin to an edgy grimdark manga from the 90s (google says the first issue was 1989)

I mean, people say it’s like Berserk, and it kinda is, but that description of “a kind young woman who was changed forever by a traumatic experience” is basically just a huge chunk of Berserk since the story is about an emotionally damaged man finding a place to belong before his Artorius takes it all away from him, and then learning how to bond with people again, in more or less literally the same way the prologue of Berseria goes down.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

cheetah7071 posted:

Think it's burnout, you essentially played two games in a series back to back and then immediately started the third

Not to brag but I back in 2018 or whatever I played personas 5 - 4 - 3psp back to back to back and felt great, it’s likely burnout in this case but also maybe ff14 has problems (that do NOT “get better in HW”). E.g. still only 1 curly hair option, and it’s an afro :wom:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EightFlyingCars
Jun 30, 2008

Boba Pearl posted:

It's not, maybe the source material is also bad. Or it's adaptation of such is bad. I'm going to judge the story on it's own, and if they want me to keep something else in mind they should put it on the steam page when I purchase it.

you'll be a lot happier if you stop treating the media you consume like a substitute for sunday school