Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?

priznat posted:

I haven't used the mods in a bit but does the one that did zooping before it was a thing have a way to auto place stacked conveyors? Like just place a stack of 4 using the conveyor supports. That'd be handy!

You're thinking of Smart! but I don't think it stacks conveyors. It'll let you extended a series of the stackable racks up to X height and Y length with Z space in between then auto-belt them, but that's about as close as it gets.

Mukaikubo posted:

I have stuff at Base A that I want to get to Base B, so I make a quick truck line to get there and back, and it just works. I don't think that's what trains are meant for- they're meant for these massive, sprawling, mapwide networks that only to my eye really come into their own kinda postgame. I guess when the new tiers drop I might use them? But having happily completed the space elevator twice as it is now without doing that, I just... I don't *get* it.

A<->B is doable with trains and without a fuel source, but if you already have a fuel source and A is close to B then you don't gain much beyond raw throughput.

The biggest game-progression-related benefit is that you can scale up. If producing 6240 screws/min (I'm just making up an example) from your one pure iron and two normal iron nodes is no longer sufficient for your Heavy Modular Frames factory then you're stuck. You need to either set up another Heavy Modular Frames factory far away where there are more nodes, run ridiculous lengths of conveyors, pave and program for a long truck convoy to a remote screw factory, or pick up and move the whole thing to a more resource-rich area.

In the same situation with trains, you just add another screw train. Not enough screws at the source? Go build a screw setup somewhere to meet your needs. Attach the new screw train station to the nearest existing line, make a train with a couple of cars, set the route, done. You might not even have to do that if you're completely modular, since the local resources remain untapped there will likely be nearby iron you could use to set up a remote screw-producing output that conveys the screws directly into the factory to supplement the load you're already getting remotely. Your production limitation becomes resources on map instead of local resources.

Is any of this strictly needed? No. You can beat phase four with a megafactory and some long conveyor runs. I've got half of phase 4 beaten just in stored inventory from letting my phase3 factory run and I don't even have a proper aluminum setup yet. Most of the fun in the huge massive complex interconnected train network is... making the huge massive complex interconnected train network. :shobon:

quote:

edit: also I hate now space-hungry train stations are :( They BIG, truck stations SMALL and I can fit them wherever I need them to go

Very much this. A bi-directional run with 1 train+2 freight stations is like 20x6 on a straight line.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Smart! yes, that was it. I was totally blanking on it.

Wilekat
Sep 24, 2007

The biggest hurdle to appreciating trains for me was not being comfortable with the frontloaded amount of work laying the initial arterial line.

Once I had a main line that could handle a volume of trains it became shockingly easy to just connect any group of nodes on the map to the wider network -- later additions are effectively placing one station and a spur of rail line, which usually by the time you've built this much track will take you 20 minutes to have the whole of your network accessible to it.

The only downside is the hours of work building the main line, but I find the repetitive nature of it quite soothing. I can totally get why anybody would look at it and go "Why would I do all that?"

Dunno-Lars
Apr 7, 2011
:norway:

:iiam:

Just want to remind people that if you do not want to build a huge network, you can upload your save to the online satisfactory map and import a blueprint into it. Several blueprints with train networks that cover everything.

https://satisfactory-calculator.com/en/interactive-map
https://satisfactory-calculator.com/en/blueprints

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Wilekat posted:

The only downside is the hours of work building the main line, but I find the repetitive nature of it quite soothing. I can totally get why anybody would look at it and go "Why would I do all that?"

I get an immense amount of satisfaction out of automating the world, but I also built a ridiculous base in NMS that grew more of every possible plant than you would ever need and looped them for fastest run-through harvesting just because. If you're building massive train networks or pretty factories you're not doing it for the in-game elevator goals.

duffmensch
Feb 20, 2004

Duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem!

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

This shouldn't be happening after update 5. Maybe they'll flip over if you're near them and they run into a rock or something but they should sort themselves out after a few seconds.

I’m running the current experimental build and it’s amazing to watch the wheels on my explorer blur up and down as I drive over my flat bridges (and later that my cars and trucks will veer off to the side of a long ramp I’m going down).

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
So, opinions on the new ammo and weapons?

• IMO stun rebar is the best new thing, it's useful enough that I'll probably keep a rebar gun on my equipment bar for the whole game. Great thing to keep loaded to deal with unpleasant surprises. Stun + bat = ultimate early game combo for no-skill play. I like to shout "stop resisting!" as I deliver a beatdown to a tazed suspect. ACAB

• Shatter rebar is a close second, mostly because it is the best early solution to the new flying crab hatchers. If you sprint up to the pod, you can unload a shotgun round on it before it can poop out the crabs. One shot to kill at point blank range. It's also good against mini-spiders. Between shatter ammo and blade runners, quartz is now a must-have early game resource -- which is pretty bad for the "easy" start locations.

• Explosive rebar is IMO a dud? Like, you can one-shot basic hogs and spitters with it... But if you have explosive rebar tech you should also have the gun, which is better.

• The standard bullet recipe being way easier to make is a welcome change. Haven't messed with the alt bullets yet -- I don't really need homing, and don't have blenders unlocked for turbo.

• Alt nobelisks: haven't really done anything with them yet. The cluster and nuke are worthless to me -- I don't clear-cut foliage so extra-destructive nobelisks aren't something I'll use. Pulse seem like a fun gimmick maybe?

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

I like the explosive ones. Wait for the bees nest to open up and boom, hive gone.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
the rebar gun feels way too much like an improvised weapon jury-rigged by an engineer and not enough like an FPS. i get that that's the point but i've literally never been in a situation where i'd prefer to shoot something with such a clunky and unsatisfying weapon rather than hit it with the upgraded tazer sword, and a handful of exploration goodies guarded by higher-tier fauna are the only use-case i can think of for engaging in combat at all instead of just hopping over a hill or behind a rock and immediately losing aggro

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

Shatter rebar is fantastic fun for friends of all sizes, except plasma dogs which stay at range. For that there's a gun, or I guess regular rebar? I made a bunch of cluster nobelisks basically because they're more expensive and honestly they need twice the submunitions to be really cool.

I made explosive rebar to see what it's like and I was skeptical like these other posters, but once I had it honestly it was so convenient that I barely used any of my cluster nobelisks, hand-banged another couple stacks of explosive rebar, and put together a second rebar gun so I can hot-swap between flechette and HE options. All of which is to say: for targets at a distance I use explosive rebar because I got decent at killing poo poo with just basic spikes forever ago and they've got the same or very similar flight characteristics, plus splash damage.

My next project is going to be a semi-planned expansion to my black and smokeless powder installations, tapping off steel from the main foundry area outputs, to automate all of this allowing me to easily just top off my ammo stack when I'm jumping through the tube network.

Oh yeah and volatile rounds are okay I guess? I didn't want a super-deep mag and the rifle to spin up like a videogame minigun, I wanted explosive rounds. I was aware it was going to be this way, I just think my idea is better still.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

I use the homing rifle because it has 500 shots in a stack and I can generally make stuff go away with it. Still haven't researched the other nobelisks because I just use them for clearing trees.

Just came back to the background-running game and for some reason one of my sinks, the one on the end of a very long and dirty "inventory plus side projects" chain in my storage cluster, decided it just wasn't going to accept new stuff. Killed the belt, put a new one on, and it went back to accepting. This has backed up so many supply chains from trains to my old phase3 base. Literally hundreds of machines just stopped working for however many hours because of one bugged sink.

Edit: Just died again while I was typing that. Replaced belt, installed splitter and backup sink. No idea wtf is going on.

Mailer fucked around with this message at 15:13 on Aug 6, 2022

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
i think it doesn't like flora or fauna. I know there were some things I had to quarantine from the line at least.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Mailer posted:

Edit: Just died again while I was typing that. Replaced belt, installed splitter and backup sink. No idea wtf is going on.

What's going into the sink? Some items can't be chunked and will clog the belt, usually finite things like the artifacts.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
You can't sink nuts, berries, baconshrooms, alien meat/carapace or the WIP stuff like the cool S or strange alien mineral ore.

The inability to sink the consumables is wack because you CAN sink the inhaler, but you cannot automate making those.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Tenebrais posted:

What's going into the sink? Some items can't be chunked and will clog the belt, usually finite things like the artifacts.

I mean I'd never sink artifacts, and I knew about nuclear byproducts, but sitting in the weirdly unsinkable category: Organic Data Capsule. So yeah, that was it.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
I guess I'm extra biased against explosive rebar because I prefer not to destroy foliage & trees as much as possible.

But I also just had the realization that explosive rebar is equally effective as a nobelisk at removing cracked boulders and fart-flowers. And if I will be carrying around a rebar gun as a tazer anyways, I can just drop the nobelisks and save inventory.

LonsomeSon posted:

Shatter rebar is fantastic fun for friends of all sizes, except plasma dogs which stay at range. For that there's a gun, or I guess regular rebar?

Stun + charge them with the bat. Spitters have always been weak to melee, but the potential trouble was taking a bad hit while running in. Especially the alphas with the lob shot that splits -- that attack could do a ton of damage if it hit you just right. Stun makes them super vulnerable.

Previously my favorite way to kill them was to run over them with my car, then hop out and start the beatdown while they were ragdolled.

Mailer posted:

I mean I'd never sink artifacts, and I knew about nuclear byproducts, but sitting in the weirdly unsinkable category: Organic Data Capsule. So yeah, that was it.

I feel like the Data Capsule must have planned uses for researching / constructing in the WIP 'plot' tree, because otherwise it is the most pointless addition. And if the main use will be plot that matches how all the other plot stuff is unsinkable.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

LonsomeSon posted:

My next project is going to be a semi-planned expansion to my black and smokeless powder installations, tapping off steel from the main foundry area outputs, to automate all of this allowing me to easily just top off my ammo stack when I'm jumping through the tube network.

A+ highly recommended.

I've still yet to try shatter or stun. In contrast to Kylith, I found explosive rebar to be pretty much game winningly boring. It trivializes everything. Even large spiders. I found cluster nobelisks to be a straight upgrade to the regular ones. The only one I found completely useless was the gas nobelisk. I don't understand the purpose behind it besides maybe making enemies run away? Which it does force them to I think.

I look forward to trying the recommendation of stun rebar and beatdown stick.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

I don't know what alien tech advancements they have coming but if one isn't the ability to kill these invulnerable trees I'm going to set the building on fire.

Edit: It ain't pretty, and it needs to be walled in and the output station rigged up, but at least I'm finally done with balancing/sourcing/wiring up a reasonable aluminum factory.

(Not pictured: Train-delivered copper that is smelted off-site)

Now I can finally set up a battery factory for drones.

Mailer fucked around with this message at 12:30 on Aug 9, 2022

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
New game home base:

Makes every tier 1-4 item, plus circ boards & computers (using alt recipes that avoid the need for plastic). As you'd expect making that many different things, the production rate is not high. We're not even talking 1 machine worth of production per item, just the remainders gathered from many overflow splitters. Most things are making about 1-2 stacks per hour.

The production floors are just a little cramped, as is my usual style. But this time I left space for a walkway & tube!

All the materials go to the shopping mall + train station, which is the large block at the rear of the first photo. There it gets sorted into containers and 2 cargo platforms.

The train cargo gets fed from the storage reserves with an even mix of stacks

using a hidden system of mergers and calibrated belt speeds

<internal screaming>

Glamour shots:

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Klyith posted:

The production floors are just a little cramped, as is my usual style. But this time I left space for a walkway & tube!

It is somehow simultaneously both organized and entirely lawless. A model of efficiency but also an affront to god. Bravo, sir. :magical:

Edit:

Dear devs: either enforce a minimal track distance or don't. The guesswork is dumb and so is having to "solve" this problem.

i SoLvEd iT :downs:

Mailer fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Aug 11, 2022

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Mailer posted:

Dear devs: either enforce a minimal track distance or don't. The guesswork is dumb and so is having to "solve" this problem.

i SoLvEd iT :downs:

Man that is really annoying -- did it not work with just 1 extra click of space and you had to go that far apart?

I'd actually think about opening your save in the online map and see if you accidentally placed an extra section of track in that weird zone? Possibly even somehow under the ground where you can't see or interact with it, but it is "crossing" those tracks.

My WTF bug for the day:

The Spire Coast has some really interesting water! Not very good for my refineries though.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Got a 300/min battery factory up and started messing with drones. They, uh, really need to either scale up the world or scale down some of the stuff. I was expecting something the size of a constructor not the manufacturer-sized bay. I guess they let you remotely place small-run factories but by the time I've rigged up two bays I might as well be using that space for two train stations.

Klyith posted:

Man that is really annoying -- did it not work with just 1 extra click of space and you had to go that far apart?

I'd actually think about opening your save in the online map and see if you accidentally placed an extra section of track in that weird zone? Possibly even somehow under the ground where you can't see or interact with it, but it is "crossing" those tracks.

I could probably go back and retrack it until I found the exact point where it doesn't think they're crossing. I just kind of eyeballed diverging a little less than a foundation (since that worked in my previous, similar problem) and that of course splays it way out into a huge curve to get back to where it should be.

The extra dumb part is, and it's hard to tell from the shot, is that track didn't curve sideways. It's separated exactly the same from before the station until many signals after. It does slope up vertically but the tracks remain exactly that far apart. Even when I blocked it down to just two small pieces of perfectly straight track they'd match at exactly the point after the station. It's entirely possible there's some glitched stuff under the ground or whatever, but that'd be super weird.

In the background is the world's most physics-defying t-junction but it has pathing signals so all is well. :v:

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Mailer posted:

Got a 300/min battery factory up and started messing with drones. They, uh, really need to either scale up the world or scale down some of the stuff. I was expecting something the size of a constructor not the manufacturer-sized bay. I guess they let you remotely place small-run factories but by the time I've rigged up two bays I might as well be using that space for two train stations.

At one point I totally agreed with this. Then I scaled up my production another digit, now the trains and drone ports seem correctly scaled to my factories.

(It'd be nice if the world was bigger, but it's already pretty big for a small-team game.)

Mailer posted:

I could probably go back and retrack it until I found the exact point where it doesn't think they're crossing. I just kind of eyeballed diverging a little less than a foundation (since that worked in my previous, similar problem) and that of course splays it way out into a huge curve to get back to where it should be.

The extra dumb part is, and it's hard to tell from the shot, is that track didn't curve sideways.

Ah, ok. If the wide splay is just what happened from rail curves, it's probably not a hidden track piece or anything. I have seen something like this on reddit before, where someone had 2 parallel straight tracks on foundations the full 8m apart, and the game linked the blocks just like what you have. A possibility that got floated in that thread was that the rails were crossing a world chunk border.

Makes me glad I decided to do over-under for my main rail lines.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Mailer posted:

scale up the world

now I want a mod where the terrain, plants and wildlife are all scaled up 2x as large compared to you and your factories

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
Grounded, but Satisfactory

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

One day before I leave on a business trip and lose all gaming access for a week, I finally beat this dumb island:

Then I realized I had a skyscraper of Modular Engines due to some earlier late night drunk math, so I fed it all in:

Now for a long break until I restart whenever the next big thing happens.

Klyith posted:

At one point I totally agreed with this. Then I scaled up my production another digit, now the trains and drone ports seem correctly scaled to my factories.

(It'd be nice if the world was bigger, but it's already pretty big for a small-team game.)

I don't think my metal factory, which I just barely squeezed seven train stations on top of, could handle a 10x expansion. There's 17 mines (OC to 162.5) feeding that thing, plus one additional copper just to make up a small amount. Ingots are fed from three separate train stations underneath it. There's enough random iron/copper/coal in the world that it might be possible, but the project to build that would literally outlive me. I'm pretty sure it's functionally impossible to 10x my aluminum just due to resource constraints.

Trains not really fitting into the environment is difficult to solve without a lot of work, but higher throughput (mk6 belts or whatever in update... i dunno, 10) and smarter trains would help at least reduce the need for spamming stations. You don't really need two train stations with four freight platforms for a simple factory, but you gotta do it because mixed cargo must be drained and you can't tell a train to not pick up all the Wire in the world.

The youtube algo served me up a video today about limiting throughput by stuffing your stations with crap to limit available space, then looping the crap back into the station so it technically never emptied. While that's a pretty nifty solution it's also extremely :wtc: when it's just solving an AI problem that shouldn't exist.

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!
I'm playing Update 6, and got the hover pack for the first time. Is it supposed to be impossible to completely stop once you move? It's really frustrating to have it stuck moving slowly in whatever my final vector was. It seems like a bug, too, because I can make the persistent float direction shift from whatever my original vector was.

Say I'm floating left, if I hit W followed by S I will briefly "float" backwards before it suddenly shifts to floating back and left, even though when I hit w/s I only moved forwards and backwards (no left shift).

This isn't expected behavior, right? Because its maddening if so.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

necrotic posted:

I'm playing Update 6, and got the hover pack for the first time. Is it supposed to be impossible to completely stop once you move? It's really frustrating to have it stuck moving slowly in whatever my final vector was. It seems like a bug, too, because I can make the persistent float direction shift from whatever my original vector was.

Say I'm floating left, if I hit W followed by S I will briefly "float" backwards before it suddenly shifts to floating back and left, even though when I hit w/s I only moved forwards and backwards (no left shift).

This isn't expected behavior, right? Because its maddening if so.

The drift happened in U5 for me, and I always thought it was intentional. Some kind of "we added a hoverpack like you asked for, but it's not perfect just to be fuckers". But it is way worse in U6. And then just recently I saw someone say it's a physics bug tied to high framerate.

(In U5 I always had vsync turned on, with a normal-rear end 60hz monitor so 60 FPS cap. Because I tend to notice tearing more than vsync stutter. But now I'm playing on linux and vsync felt much worse, so I have that turned off with a 66FPS frame cap. Maybe that's why the hoverpack drift feels worse to me? Or maybe it did separately get worse in U6.)

It also feels like the range to poles is worse. In U5 I remember it ran out of juice between two max-length power line poles, but kinda just barely. Now it tuns out way way short of halfway.

Klyith fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Aug 21, 2022

DrBox
Jul 3, 2004

Sombody call the doctor?
My latest desire for this game is to have an upgrade for electrified belts that let you transmit power like train tracks. Wiring up a lot of machines gets so tedious. Being able to power from the belts would be sweet.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

DrBox posted:

My latest desire for this game is to have an upgrade for electrified belts that let you transmit power like train tracks. Wiring up a lot of machines gets so tedious. Being able to power from the belts would be sweet.

Electrified foundations were datamined from an older build of the game, there's still a chance they add them in some future update.

neato burrito
Aug 25, 2002

bitch better have my chex mix

Can I haz Update 7? :pray:

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
Have they announced when U6 will go to the main early access branch?

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

"You treat her like a lady... and she'll always bring you home."

Watermelon Daiquiri posted:

Have they announced when U6 will go to the main early access branch?

They just are getting back from vacation now. Snutt did the first dev stream in a month today. Basically, probably no earlier than mid-September for U6 being fully cooked; they're going to start up patches again targeting next week in experimental and how long a path they have to early access for it will depend on how many bugs they manage to take down in those first few.

Voxx
Jul 28, 2009

I'll give 'em a hold
and a break to breathe
And if they can't play nice
I won't play with 'em at all
It's been in experimental so long I saw the release stream is tomorrow and got excited for an update :negative:

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

"You treat her like a lady... and she'll always bring you home."
It's here, though!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U_K6QiUaenQ

Only one new big thing from the latest experimental if you were keeping up on that, a boom box. Which, I think, includes both types of boom.

Patch notes: https://www.reddit.com/r/SatisfactoryGame/comments/xj9mmd/patch_notes_early_access_v0610_build_201145/

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

New uniform spotted!

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

Back Hack posted:

New uniform spotted!

If you're talking about the yellow one at 45 seconds, that's just someone wearing a hazmat suit,

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
I laugh at each trailer, they're very good at making them entertaining :haw:

Been away from Satisfactory for a while might need to drop back in and curse past me for my lovely builds

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

If you're talking about the yellow one at 45 seconds, that's just someone wearing a hazmat suit,

Oh man, thought we final got the ability to color our suits.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wyld Karde
Mar 18, 2013

She's so ~dreamy~
BUG FIXES

Stingers can no longer get stuck on the Pioneers head

...they could do that? :gonk: