Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Got to wonder which one they meant when they said "Secretary Bush"

Also it would be pretty funny if they were playing the long game with Ellen being a Republican just to get in that line about how they (the Republican Party) should be destroyed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Lollin at all that. Good times, good show. I am really curious why they renamed North Korea, I turned on the Korean subtitles just to make sure and they did rename it, that wasn't just an English screw up. Maybe Sony is still gun shy from last time. :v:

mr. unhsib
Sep 19, 2003
I hate you all.
I figured the Soviets extracted Margo because no way a show can kill off 2 female protagonists within 30 seconds in this day and age.

Kelly's baby sure was massive, especially given it was a month-early preemie :lol: That thing looked like my 6 month old ... it should've looked like a gerbil.

Man, Margo's gonna reunite with Aleida next season and it's gonna be *awesome*

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I've felt very let down by this season - the space stuff was still mostly good though the Danny stuff dragged it down (what sucks is that the ending of episode 1 and what he did was actually really loving great), but most of the Earth stuff I felt was a huge drag and even characters I used to like (Sergei and Margo in particular) just irritated me, particularly with how selfish and short-sighted they often were. President Ellen appears to be a legitimately REALLY bad President, even if I have sympathy for her stance over protecting NASA's money knowing the other politicians will descend on it like a pack of wolves the moment it is exposed. Her loving off to hang out with her ex-girlfriend after a terrorist bombing on the JSC and in the middle of potential impeachment hearings is a :wtc: moment for me.

On Mars, the Kelly extraction to Phoenix I felt could have been strong enough to be the climax of the season on its own. With everything else jammed in there it felt more like an afterthought. Also, I have to say the decision the crew made to all stay behind on Mars kind of fell flat for me because I'd already assumed they were going to do that, since they were talking about needing to get the weight down, and I just figured,"Oh right, so I guess as lovely as it is they'll decide to stay since that drops a shitload of weight immediately", so having that be a big dramatic moment didn't really hit all that strong.

loving :lol: at Dev discovering people who aren't hyper-wealthy don't get to just decide to "rough it" for a bit by walking away from high paying jobs and giving up all their stock benefits to help an already hyper-rich dude get richer.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

That scene at Helios made me howl with laughter. The dialogue they wrote for the extras was so bad. “What about my mortgage??” lmao

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I really hope they don't just yadda yadda ahead to 2003. I need an episode of the North Korean guy fish out of watering in the Mars base.

mr. unhsib
Sep 19, 2003
I hate you all.

Jerusalem posted:

On Mars, the Kelly extraction to Phoenix I felt could have been strong enough to be the climax of the season on its own.

This basically would have been the season 1 climax all over again, plus a pregnancy.

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

I thought Dev was going to organize a strike but nope just tried to get everyone to quit for him.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

mr. unhsib posted:

This basically would have been the season 1 climax all over again, plus a pregnancy.

Make the climax of every season a seat-of-their-pants escape from a celestial body, just with more pregnancies piled on each time :colbert:

Ninurta
Sep 19, 2007
What the HELL? That's my cutting board.

Good, but not great finale. I wanted another Seadragon/Mars walk ending.

Dev vs Boomer Hypercapitalism and Gen-X pragmatism was fun though. I guess this still makes him CEO in 2003 since Karen got exploded?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Bulky Bartokomous posted:

I realized that I'm old as gently caress

Season 5 is going to air in 2024 and be set in the year 2024. It will end with 90-year-old Ed Baldwin, who is still an astronaut, putting the finishing touches on the first artificial wormhole to help us travel to other Solar Systems to meet the alien friends contacted through SETI in 2014. As he hammers in the last space-nail with his space-hammer, he will stop to muse about how great the year 2024 is, but how he can't help but feel 2024 must have turned out EVEN BETTER in an alternate timeline where the United States was the first to land on the moon. He will then look directly into the camera as the credits roll, never once blinking.

Sivart13
May 18, 2003
I have neglected to come up with a clever title

Cojawfee posted:

What a crazy episode. I realized that they can't kill off Ed, because he's the only one who speaks any Korean.
the delay would be a pain but technically they could dial up someone on the space phone to do that as well

I was a tad dissapointed by that plotline, the opening was excellent but I wish I knew more what was going to happen to this guy. I hope he shows up in 2003 and is in a position to tell us more about his past and present worldview.

Jerusalem posted:

Ellen loving off to hang out with her ex-girlfriend after a terrorist bombing on the JSC and in the middle of potential impeachment hearings is a :wtc: moment for me.
i'm not gonna go and rewatch the episode to see if this is incorrect but technically this could be happening any amount of time after the bombing, right?

Vegetable posted:

That scene at Helios made me howl with laughter. The dialogue they wrote for the extras was so bad. “What about my mortgage??” lmao
all the Helios "okay people, bring it in" scenes are ADR'ed to hell and back. very surreal feeling

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
If there’s a season 5 I really hope they go crazy with the time jump. 2003 feels like a fairly natural endpoint for these characters and under absolutely no circumstances do I ever want them to catch up to modern day. Just skip this garbage decade and go for broke with O’Neill cylinders and other crazy poo poo 100 years from now.

mr. unhsib
Sep 19, 2003
I hate you all.
My prediction is that season 4 is going to feature an amicable end to the Cold War leading to basically a worldwide social democratic government. Between Margo working behind the scenes in the USSR, her Russian dude in America, Kelly's symbolic child, and the collapse of Helios, all signs point in that direction. The bombing at NASA will kill any Congressional defunding effort.

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

I enjoyed it. Danny 100% deserves what he gets at the end, gently caress Danny. Ed is absolutely right to call him out on wanting to assuage his guilt by taking a one way trip on the MSAM, go back to Earth and take care of your wife and kid, dipshit. Even if he is largely repeating Ed’s mistakes as a parent.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
What's really hosed about that Korean guy is that there was clearly no way for him to ever return home. Their mission was to go to Mars, claim land for glorious leader, who hits a hole in one every time, and then live there until they run out of a vital resource and die/kill themselves.

Sivart13
May 18, 2003
I have neglected to come up with a clever title

Cojawfee posted:

there was clearly no way for him to ever return home
which makes me confused about his "I have to get back to my post" -- homeboy you just got a way out, why you wanna go back to living in the trash can? Though I'm sure his mental state was all hosed up at that point.

I would love to know better how long he was in there and how much food he might have needed, but I don't think the show even really knows how long the NASA/Helios/etc Earth <-> Mars race took, so oh well.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

ok we finally decided to put dany in mars prison lets do it near the gun we buried

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

bawfuls posted:

ok we finally decided to put dany in mars prison lets do it near the gun we buried

Maybe they’re hoping things will just naturally sort themselves out.

“Oh no, now we have one less mouth to feed as we’re all forced to strictly ration our supplies for the next 1.5 years oh nooooo Danny you had such a bright future :geno:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

bawfuls posted:

As somebody else also mentioned, why not put him in the NASA ship if they decided to put him in Space-Timeout instead of the Soyuz Coffin?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Sivart13 posted:

which makes me confused about his "I have to get back to my post" -- homeboy you just got a way out, why you wanna go back to living in the trash can? Though I'm sure his mental state was all hosed up at that point.

I would love to know better how long he was in there and how much food he might have needed, but I don't think the show even really knows how long the NASA/Helios/etc Earth <-> Mars race took, so oh well.

Because he's been brainwashed to serve his country. Where his ship crashed is Best Korean territory and he has to defend it.

Wee Bairns
Feb 10, 2004

Jack Tripper's wingman.

Great finale imo, though I was rather surprised which Baldwin was killed off. Loved the resolution of Molly's story too, glad we got her in the finale.

That time junp leaves a world of possibilities, as seen by our first view of 2003.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Sivart13 posted:

I knew a few refugees from North Korea when I lived in South Korea and they do a real number on your way of thinking there, that conditioning is hard to break. Plus spending ?unknown months? stuck in a tiny, disgusting capsule all alone knowing there is no way for you to ever get home or even talk to anyone else is going to gently caress you up pretty good on top of that.

Grandpa Palpatine
Dec 13, 2019

by vyelkin

Jerusalem posted:

Season 5 is going to air in 2024 and be set in the year 2024. It will end with 90-year-old Ed Baldwin, who is still an astronaut, putting the finishing touches on the first artificial wormhole to help us travel to other Solar Systems to meet the alien friends contacted through SETI in 2014. As he hammers in the last space-nail with his space-hammer, he will stop to muse about how great the year 2024 is, but how he can't help but feel 2024 must have turned out EVEN BETTER in an alternate timeline where the United States was the first to land on the moon. He will then look directly into the camera as the credits roll, never once blinking.

bold of you to assume that this will have the best TV finale of all time

Noob Saibot
Jan 29, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
Eeehhh felt this episode is where the show jumped the shark

First episode of the show I didn’t really care much for

Brass
Oct 30, 2011

This show is the GOAT. Did they jump the shark? Definitely, but it was close. In fact they were originally only able to jump about 95% of the way over, but through the magic of engineering were they able to overcome the last 5% needed to clear the shark. Amazing, bravo!

Edit - I can't believe they buried a gun on Mars, what if a Martian child stumbled upon that?!

Brass fucked around with this message at 11:24 on Aug 12, 2022

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
Given how one-dimensional the Russians are on this show, I'm glad that our "People's Republic of Korea" friend got a more sympathetic treatment. I suspect they'll be getting off the Mars base probably the first episode of next season, but I'd love for him to stick around.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Well, that was a good finale for this season. I'm glad Margo got her come-uppins, too bad about Sergei. :smith:

So, Ellen got a sort of happy ending here, but presumably season 4 will cover her political misfortunes (given the SS entourage at Pam's place she was still POTUS at that point?), Molly went out like a true champion :patriot:, Danielle is stuck on Mars for another 18 months or whatever, and Ed keeps having loved ones die around him. At least Ed Jr. made it? Margo's story-line took a dark turn, and she'd be in her... Late sixties by 2003? And both failsons had miserable, pathetic endings to their 'storylines'. This season was a real bummer :smith:

Agreed with the suggestion that season 5 is like 2100 or whatever, just kill off everyone of the OG cast next season and move it the gently caress along please. I guess season 4 could have a politics side-plot-line of the Cold War resolving into an actual world government instead of the fukuyamaist poo poo we got.

Jerusalem posted:

The BSG finale we never got. Do it, you cowards :argh:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Grandpa Palpatine posted:

bold of you to assume that this will have the best TV finale of all time

They're running out of time for Ed to wake up in bed and remember he was Bob Newhart all along :ohdear:

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

In Mypos, only the strong survive.

Vegetable posted:

All I could think of was the Stormtrooper yelling "There's no way around!" in Kenobi and I, too, was dying laughing.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

In Mypos, only the strong survive.

Rochallor posted:

Given how one-dimensional the Russians are on this show, I'm glad that our "People's Republic of Korea" friend got a more sympathetic treatment. I suspect they'll be getting off the Mars base probably the first episode of next season, but I'd love for him to stick around.

Sergei - a brilliant scientist torn between hurting someone he genuinely cares about (and probably has been in love with for years) and protecting his family from the same treatment he's gotten.
Alexei - an idealistic young astronaut that is proud of his country but willing to have an open mind about westerners.
Rolan - a defector who is able to bury the hatchet and learn to get along with all kinds of people
Grigory - a tough, no-nonsense commander who looks out for his crew and his country but is more than willing to not just work cooperatively when the situation calls for it, but even sacrifice for his fellow spacefarers.
Russian Doctor - Similar to the commander, he plays the game and follows orders, but when the chips are down he's willing to stay behind to face a difficult and uncertain future for the sake of Kelly and Mars Baby.

In a Cold War show made mostly from the perspective of the Americans, yeah Russians are sometimes going to be the antagonists, but every single Russian we've actually gotten to see has a been a shown as a real human with a mix of good and bad traits and deeds, just like everyone else with the exception of literal KGB Officers. I don't mean to jump down your throat but I just don't know how you could watch FAM and think "this show hates Russians."

jackhunter64
Aug 28, 2008

Keep it up son, take a look at what you could have won

Sadsack Stevens waddling out of the dust cloud is maybe the angriest I've been at a TV character in a long time.

Brass
Oct 30, 2011

I fully expect them to end the show with something like the 100 year Starship coming to fruition and launching. Then maybe do a spinoff of the multi-generational journey, because that would be a whole thing on its own.

I'm really excited for season 4. The timejump to 2003 is interesting because they just skip right over Bill Clinton and past 9/11. I need to know if 9/11 happened!! But I guess that would be redundant. This bombing seemed analogous to the WTC 1993 one. So I am thinking originally part of some CIA plot to discredit NASA that got out of hand. Like what if Operation Cyclone had the CIA training rednecks instead of Taliban? Will Season 4 introduce the white trash counterpart of Osama Bin Laden? Enter Chris Kyle Tucker, the failson of a wealthy businessman, who ends up becoming the 43rd potus. But seriously, it will be interesting to see where they go from here because of how close they are getting to the present, the US goes downhill from here - not to get political :hehe:

In a Cold War show made mostly from the perspective of the Americans, yeah Russians are sometimes going to be the antagonists, but every single Russian we've actually gotten to see has a been a shown as a real human with a mix of good and bad traits and deeds, just like everyone else with the exception of literal KGB Officers. I don't mean to jump down your throat but I just don't know how you could watch FAM and think "this show hates Russians."

Not to mention that the show is literally about the Russians being the first to the Moon, with a female astronaut.

It's for ALL mankind!

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

Sergei - a brilliant scientist torn between hurting someone he genuinely cares about (and probably has been in love with for years) and protecting his family from the same treatment he's gotten.
Alexei - an idealistic young astronaut that is proud of his country but willing to have an open mind about westerners.
Rolan - a defector who is able to bury the hatchet and learn to get along with all kinds of people
Grigory - a tough, no-nonsense commander who looks out for his crew and his country but is more than willing to not just work cooperatively when the situation calls for it, but even sacrifice for his fellow spacefarers.
Russian Doctor - Similar to the commander, he plays the game and follows orders, but when the chips are down he's willing to stay behind to face a difficult and uncertain future for the sake of Kelly and Mars Baby.

Perhaps I should have said the USSR rather than Russians, but by virtue of their association with one of Our Designated Enemies, the Russian characters still get saddled with negative traits and roles that the other characters don't. The homophobia plotline is to be expected of a show set in the 90s, but it's pretty silly to think that Rolan was the only dude afraid of gay people/misinformed about AIDS. Earlier in the season Ed said that Danielle only got as far as she did because of affirmative action, but he's down with the gays? And then two episodes ago we had the sinister stinger of the Russians going "we muzzt do something about THE BABY," although apparently they did nothing so any character could have delivered that line.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
Who was the guy with the newspaper at the end?

Overall despite some dumb drama I thought this was a pretty good season, certainly an improvement over the second season.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

I bust out laughing as soon as I saw Karen's dying face. It just looked ridiculous. What a pointless ending. Did the actor want off the show?

Grandpa Palpatine
Dec 13, 2019

by vyelkin

blue squares posted:

I bust out laughing as soon as I saw Karen's dying face. It just looked ridiculous. What a pointless ending. Did the actor want off the show?

I think they ran out of plot for her lol

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

Show is still entertaining but it's definitely squandered most of it's potential for me. Feels like this season was just a bunch of human drama, with people doing stupid as gently caress stuff (like letting Danny even have an important job to do during the drilling, while he was all crazy and drug addicted), to move the plot along. The previous seasons did have a lot of drama, but I dunno, it just wasn't as badly written I think.

This episode had some good space stuff with having to get Kelly back into orbit (although her getting pregnant in the first place is another dumb thing that wouldn't happen. Why the hell would they be raw dogging on an important NASA misson to mars??) but they kind of flew through that whole thing in a non satisfying way while combining it with all the failson bombing stuff.

It's also like they wasted most of the season having not much happen, then realised "oh poo poo there's only like 15 mins left in the last episode better just tidy all this up there we go that'll do see you next season!"

Like I said it's still entertaining and there aren't many space shows so I'll keep watching but it had the potential to be so much more after season 1.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005

Oasx posted:

Who was the guy with the newspaper at the end?

That's Sergei. He and his family got moved to America, just as Margo got moved to Russia. So despite all that effort, they still don't get to be together.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brass
Oct 30, 2011

Panic! At The Tesco posted:

It's also like they wasted most of the season having not much happen, then realised "oh poo poo there's only like 15 mins left in the last episode better just tidy all this up there we go that'll do see you next season!"

Did we even watch the same show? This season started on the space hotel, then the race to Mars, landing on Mars, Danny's descent, the drilling, then trying to get back to Phoenix. Plus all of the stuff going down on Earth. Aleida sniffing out Margo, Jimmy obsessed over conspiracy theories, the Helios corporate stuff, lesbian Republican president, etc. What more do you want? It would be cool if they explored Mars a little more but I think the show sacrifices things like that for scientific accuracy, which I've noticed people still tend to be overly critical of - like it's a gotcha moment. "Ah-ha! This could never physically happen in real life!" But anyhow, a ton of stuff happened in just 10 episodes but I would agree that the quality of the different storylines and plot points is varied, I don't blame you for blanking on the Earth stuff. loving Jimmy.

I actually thought that Ed wasn't going to make it back and that Danny was going to get away with it AGAIN.

Brass fucked around with this message at 13:36 on Aug 12, 2022