Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Sturgeon demands a sacrifice

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Woke weather service at it again. Where is are Churchill moon? It's round and white and leads to a statistical increase in crimes.

His Divine Shadow posted:

Awnings over windows is an electricity free method as well, if your place looks good with them anyway. I've read about this white color which has a net cooling effect, I wonder if awnings with that would be noticeably more effective than regular cloth ones.
That and white shutters on the outside of windows that get lots of direct sun, to reflect the sun before it gets in your double glazing/curtains/blinds.

Either quaint wooden slatted ones like rural fairytale Germans or big metal roller shutters that go vrrrrrrr like actual Germans.

Latter replaces the need for burger bras too.

His Divine Shadow posted:

Get an actual heat pump so you can also get additional heat in winter. Of course with todays electricity prices...
That too. Even with today's electricity prices it a mini split that does hot/cold/dry will pay for itself over gas over less than half the life of the system if you're able to get one installed, and if natural gas doubles (with electricity going up ~3p due to this) then that goes down to <3 years.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

notaspy posted:

Doesn't this mean that Corbyn ISN'T a nazi?
It should, except the wording of the judgement was 'No, her statement was ambiguous and not actionable and we're not going into that right now, your statement was ambiguous in pretty much the same way but it's very much important that you lose your house paying Rachel's legal fees."

Essentially glossing over the context of the reply, which is that Riley straight up called Corbyn a Nazi (the judgement ruled that she didn't) and it was literally the defendant's job to respond.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Bobby Deluxe posted:

It should, except the wording of the judgement was 'No, her statement was ambiguous and not actionable and we're not going into that right now, your statement was ambiguous in pretty much the same way but it's very much important that you lose your house paying Rachel's legal fees."

Essentially glossing over the context of the reply, which is that Riley straight up called Corbyn a Nazi (the judgement ruled that she didn't) and it was literally the defendant's job to respond.

Wonder how RR would feel if someone smashed an egg on her head and someone else commented that the best way to avoid such an event is to not be a Nazi. Probably fine.

Rondette
Nov 4, 2009

Your friendly neighbourhood Postie.

Grimey Drawer

Guavanaut posted:

Woke weather service at it again. Where is are Churchill moon? It's round and white and leads to a statistical increase in crimes.

That and white shutters on the outside of windows that get lots of direct sun, to reflect the sun before it gets in your double glazing/curtains/blinds.

We are going ahead on this plan, but with a Garfield 'time to nap' duvet cover I found in our attic.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

sebzilla posted:

Wonder how RR would feel if someone smashed an egg on her head and someone else commented that the best way to avoid such an event is to not be a Nazi. Probably fine.
For all she loves to bang on about internet trolls, she has a uniquely piss-boiling ability to say poo poo like that, smugly grin about how clever she's being, and sue the poo poo out of anyone who 'harms her reputation' by taking her up on her bullshit.

I'm sure Gervais and Baddiel will be along any minute to decry this chilling silencing of free speech, etc.

Isomermaid
Dec 3, 2019

Swish swish, like a fish
We have this white stiff netting that velcroes onto the window frames to keep bugs out and cats in at night but it's also pretty good at reflecting some of the heat too. If we're sleeping with the windows open we're thinking it'd make a pretty good security thing, there's just no way to open it without waking up the whole house with a CRRRRRRRRCHK

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Rondette posted:

We are going ahead on this plan, but with a Garfield 'time to nap' duvet cover I found in our attic.
That's a far better thing to have up than a Dilbert 'finger ur dad' duvet cover (his brain is so broken now lol)

https://twitter.com/IAMTHEGREGMAN/status/1557846473789779968

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Can any computer touchers confirm if Clevo laptops are any good, or would I be as well getting a refurbished thinkpad. Got a budget of around £600 and want something that will be durable, decent spec, and run a Linux distro. Reason I ask is I remember installing Ubuntu on an ideapad being a ballache because the bios didn't want to recognise it.

I do not do gaming or graphics intensive stuff, so is an i3 still acceptable?

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

Bobby Deluxe posted:

For all she loves to bang on about internet trolls, she has a uniquely piss-boiling ability to say poo poo like that, smugly grin about how clever she's being, and sue the poo poo out of anyone who 'harms her reputation' by taking her up on her bullshit.

I've said it before, but the thing that pisses me off the most about her is that - for all she claims to get angry, hurt or offended by things people say - basically everything she tweets is non-actionable.
So either she runs everything she tweets past a lawyer first to check it's fine, or that she has a cheat-sheet that she references before posting (for the same purpose).

Basically, she's never actually particularly offended or hurt by things people post or say about her, because someone as terminally online as her wouldn't be able to stop themselves from libeling/defaming someone if they were upset. It's all entirely calculated.
Which for me is worse than someone who gets genuinely offended and says something in the moment they can be sued for.

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.

keep punching joe posted:

Can any computer touchers confirm if Clevo laptops are any good, or would I be as well getting a refurbished thinkpad. Got a budget of around £600 and want something that will be durable, decent spec, and run a Linux distro. Reason I ask is I remember installing Ubuntu on an ideapad being a ballache because the bios didn't want to recognise it.

Get a reasonably high end refurb for 2-300, stick in an SSD if it doesn't have one and max out the ram and you should have something thats good for years, absolutely no point buying new/fancy if you don't need it IMO

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

Reason I ask is I remember installing Ubuntu on an ideapad being a ballache because the bios didn't want to recognise it.

This is more likely to badly configured install media. Could try another USB drive too.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
The last time I tried on an old laptop I ended up just using an external DVD drive rather than loving about with all the bootable USB sticklet config.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

DesperateDan posted:

Get a reasonably high end refurb for 2-300, stick in an SSD if it doesn't have one and max out the ram and you should have something thats good for years, absolutely no point buying new/fancy if you don't need it IMO

This is what I did. My laptop is a T430 which is literally a decade old now (I got it second hand off Amazon) and with an SSD and 16 gigs ram it's perfectly usable with Linux. It's not the 90s any more, decade old stuff is fine at least if you don't need 3d graphics.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Guavanaut posted:

That's a far better thing to have up than a Dilbert 'finger ur dad' duvet cover (his brain is so broken now lol)

https://twitter.com/IAMTHEGREGMAN/status/1557846473789779968

There was a strip a couple years ago where Dilbert responded to a guy talking about his vacation by going "you know some of us actually like working, it's weird that you'd run away from it like that". So it's the former.

E: Found it: https://dilbert.com/strip/2016-06-17

Dabir fucked around with this message at 10:24 on Aug 12, 2022

Biggus Dickus
May 18, 2005

Roadies know where to focus the spotlight.

OwlFancier posted:

Reporting live from the radioactive hellhole that is Redcar.

Love me some blue skies that are easily reproduced as CSS gradients.

Octopus Energy emailed me to say that my skin-of-the-teeth fixed deal is coming to an end in September and to lay out my options. Using last year's consumption I'm least-worse off on their variable rate which doubles my DD to £250/mo. Given this includes a car and an air-source heat pump, I think I got off lightly.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Are AMD processors OK to use with the lunix or am I going to have a headache?

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

I don't think there are any AMD processors for the C64 or C128 :confused:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LUnix

But yes it's fine. GPUs may vary depending on distro.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
There's a good laptop megathread in SH/SC here if you haven't seen it

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Lenovo keeps a dedicated page on what machines supports linux(as in put the installer disk in and everything will get recognized) https://support.lenovo.com/it/en/solutions/pd031426-linux-for-personal-systems. If it's in that list you shouldn't have much work to do beside managing secure boot on ubuntu older than 20.04

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Never had a burglary attempt (knock on wood) but when I lived in :smugdog: I did have some drunk/drugged guy come trying to open the door into my literal bedroom (it opened onto an alleyway down the side of the house, weird setup) at about 3am. That was an experience.

I think my looming in the door window stark naked wielding a rolling pin scared him off, though.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Starmer's back from his holiday and ready to kick rear end.

Policy announcement #1: Tell suppliers to charge pre-pay customers the same as everyone else (and compensate the suppliers for the lost earnings)

Underwhelming, to say the least

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Jippa posted:

If this is now going to be every summer I would just invest in an AC unit. Probably £450/500 for a good one you could move round the house (bedroom at night). I haven't yet but the more sleep I lose the more I think it would be worth it in the long run.

£300. There's a bunch on Amazon. I recommend also buying one of the floppy vent hoses and finding a piece of cardboard that can cover your window and cutting a hole the size of the floppy hose in it so you can really vent the heat without that blowing back in.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

AMD holds the patent for x86_64 so if they worked worse on any computer system that would be someone being vastly incompetent or malicious.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
Just don't do what my workplace did and run the hot exhaust hose straight out into the same office they were trying to cool down

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"
Sounds like about 2/3rds of England is going to be declared officially in drought in the next few days, with wide scale crop failures already occurring. No real break in the dry spell in the south east expected until October so planting for next year is going to be disrupted and we can expect even lower crop yeilds in 2023.

Herders are already slaughtering dairy cows due to a lack of viable pasture.

I don't see anyway this winter isn't going to be an absolute nightmare.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost
I can't find it now, but I'm sure I remember something in the last couple of years where someone in government was saying that their food/energy security policies were essentially "buy it from abroad" so therefore they didn't need to increase UK production/generation.

Except that is rather predicated on being able to afford to do that and not, for example, heading into a recession and overlapping global crises where everyone else is trying to do this too or otherwise protect their own supplies.

It's gonna be rough :smith:

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Yeah I don't recall seeing much of this in the UK press at the time. :iiam:

quote:

Last week, unbeknown to many outside the power industry, parts of London came remarkably close to a blackout — even as it was recovering from the hottest day in British history. On July 20, surging electricity demand collided with a bottleneck in the grid, leaving the eastern part of the British capital briefly short of power. Only by paying a record high £9,724.54 (about $11,685) per megawatt hour — more than 5,000% higher than the typical price — did the UK avoid homes and businesses going dark. That was the nosebleed cost to persuade Belgium to crank up aging electricity plants to send energy across the English Channel.

UK Energy policy:

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

When I lived in a ground floor flat in Walthamstow, I had security bars (sort of nice lacey ones that could open up) installed, mostly I kept them locked shut so I could keep a window open for the cats to come in and out.
One day I was off sick and lying in bed when I saw the curtains move and first I thought it was one of my cats, then I saw my cat frozen with terror staring at the curtain. So I carefully pulled the curtain to one side (I had nets as well between the curtain and the bars) and saw a hand coming through the window. If I had thought, I would have snuck out of bed and round to the back garden and photographed him in the act, but I didn't. I just roared at him with lots of swear words about who did he think he was. He obviously hadn't noticed the bars.

They cost me £1200 to do 4 windows about 25 years ago now (2 quite big ones) (made to measure and installed by them me being the world's worst DIYer), all opening out on to the back garden, but having not had a wink of sleep after moving in, convinced that the mad axe murderer was pacing outside all night, they were extremely well worth it in terms of piece of mind. And I was the only ground floor flat in the block that didn't get burgled over the years I was there.

They were like this.

you should have lopped off the hand w/ a hatchet imo

any bother about it, just say you like to practice swinging hatchets in the privacy of your home and if someone sticks their hand into your property that's their problem :colbert:

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Marmaduke! posted:

Just don't do what my workplace did and run the hot exhaust hose straight out into the same office they were trying to cool down

Ah yes, thermostatic equilibrium.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

feedmegin posted:

Never had a burglary attempt (knock on wood) but when I lived in :smugdog: I did have some drunk/drugged guy come trying to open the door into my literal bedroom (it opened onto an alleyway down the side of the house, weird setup) at about 3am. That was an experience.

I think my looming in the door window stark naked wielding a rolling pin scared him off, though.

Why did you have the rolling pin in the bedroom with you?

Guavanaut posted:

the need for burger bras

Wait what?

Failed Imagineer fucked around with this message at 12:24 on Aug 12, 2022

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
i'm assuming "rolling pin" is a euphemism

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
(for a big penis)

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
WAHEY LADS ITS PHALLIC IMAGERY

(awoooooo)

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

Danger - Octopus! posted:

I can't find it now, but I'm sure I remember something in the last couple of years where someone in government was saying that their food/energy security policies were essentially "buy it from abroad" so therefore they didn't need to increase UK production/generation.

It's gonna be rough :smith:

Great idea until just in time delivery chains breakdown because old people in kent insisted on putting up a hard border and getting rid of all that eu stuff.

kemikalkadet
Sep 16, 2012

:woof:
https://i.imgur.com/L5D2EZM.mp4

gently caress solar panels. Show me fields full of failed crops.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
No food, no water, at this rate we're going to need a charity concert for the poor anglos.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
she sure is a stupid bastard eh

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Got this for £340 btw, hope its not shite.

Lenovo ThinkPad A485 - AMD Ryzen 5 PRO 2500U - 8GB RAM - 512GB SSD

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
If you live in a city in Germany and have the fancy rouladen you can walk around topless indoors if you want, not needing a bürger bra.

But it also removes the need for burglar bars. And keeps the sun out from the outside, which helps with heat, which is where the conversation started.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-U2u2y7Rzb8

No food, no water, at this rate we're going to need a charity concert for the poor anglos.