Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

RE8 hit a lot of the feeling I liked about RE4, some horror trappings but you're mostly feeling powerful and able to take on enemies. Yeah, the controls are dated since it was pioneering that style, but it's worth pushing through and they'll feel ok after a while. The game design in general is very well done, I'd definitely check it out in light of 8.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Dead Space 3 is never a game I would recommend in good faith. Dead Space 1 and 2 are both great though.

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
That one year span was brutal for franchises I liked. Dead Space 3, Call Of Juarez 3, Army of Two 3, Bioshock 3...

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Sticker Star was also poo poo.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

worms butthole guy posted:

Are there any horror games that aren't super scary?

In Sound Mind

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Are there any horror games that aren't super scary? I love horror movies and don't find them scary but I've tried the RE2 remake like three times now and always quit around the introduction or Mr X.

I think RE8 was almost perfect for me; it was scary but not unbearably so.

So I guess I'm looking for something slightly less scary than RE8 lol

Ghostwire: Tokyo? It has a lot of horror aesthetics but is a pure action game.

Little Nightmares doesn't have much in jumpscares either iirc

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

CuddleCryptid posted:

Ghostwire: Tokyo? It has a lot of horror aesthetics but is a pure action game.

I'll second this, it's fantastic and the horror is more aesthetic than terrifying. There's also really good environmental story telling horror bits.

worms butthole guy
Jan 29, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
Ooo I'll check these all out thanks all

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

I think with RE8 knowing I was powerful helped and that was my favorite part of RE2; the beginning part being able to explore and have fun without having to worry about lickers and MR X on my tail.

I have RE3 also but I imagine nemesis is even worse?

Nemesis is a terrifying threat, but RE3 has an absolute ton of ammunition and weaponry throughout the game. I got more ammo in my first hour in RE3 than nearly the entirety of RE2, so I generally shat myself less in 3. But poo poo I did.

Out of curiosity, any particular reason you don't want anything too scary?

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

I think with RE8 knowing I was powerful helped and that was my favorite part of RE2; the beginning part being able to explore and have fun without having to worry about lickers and MR X on my tail.

I have RE3 also but I imagine nemesis is even worse?

RE3R's Nemesis is far less freeroaming than 2R's Mr X.

There's, like, one small segment early on where he can pursue you throughout the city, and after that every encounter with him is 100% scripted.

TheAnomaly
Feb 20, 2003

Disposable Scud posted:

That one year span was brutal for franchises I liked. Call Of Juarez 3,

Wasn't this Call of Juarez: gunslinger? Also known as the only Call of Juarez that was actually fun to play?

Televisio Frankus
Jun 8, 2010

TheAnomaly posted:

Wasn't this Call of Juarez: gunslinger? Also known as the only Call of Juarez that was actually fun to play?

No, there was a terrible game set in modern day in the middle east.

Danknificent
Nov 20, 2015

Jinkies! Looks like we've got a mystery on our hands.

TheAnomaly posted:

The second one kicked rear end

TheAnomaly
Feb 20, 2003

Danknificent posted:

The second one kicked rear end

The second one had significantly better level design and a REALLY fun story. The gunplay was still not good. Gunslinger was great. 3 may have been the cartel one, though? The one that was such an abomination I had wiped it from my memories.

Televisio Frankus posted:

yeah, I always forget that one because it was so bad. The first one was interesting but not well made, the second was better but still had tons of issues. Then the third one was awful, and funslinger was actually just great.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

The Cartel was so bad that the developers even apologized for making it.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
Wasn't that the racist one?

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

Mexico isn't the middle east but yes.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Hel posted:

I can't tell, every piece of media slaps a yellow and brown filter over a desert and calls it Mexico/Mid-east

Televisio Frankus
Jun 8, 2010

Hel posted:

I could have sworn it was another shooter set in the middle east, but it's been years and I don't brain good.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

I could have sworn it was another shooter set in the middle east, but it's been years and I don't brain good.

There's cartels in the middle east but it's more "oil barons price fixing" and less "gunfights in speeding jeeps"

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"

50 Cent: Blood on the Sand?

I am only partially joking.

Danknificent
Nov 20, 2015

Jinkies! Looks like we've got a mystery on our hands.

Read After Burning posted:

50 Cent: Blood on the Sand?

I am only partially joking.

That game also kicked rear end

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
Apparently there are rumours circling that they're going to announce a new Alone in the Dark. I'm a big fan, so I'm excited, but at the very least it can't be worse than '08 and Illumination, right?

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

catlord posted:

Apparently there are rumours circling that they're going to announce a new Alone in the Dark. I'm a big fan, so I'm excited, but at the very least it can't be worse than '08 and Illumination, right?

Well now you've jinxed it.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

There was a lovely Soldier of Fortune (the third one, if I'm keeping count) that took place in the middle east, I'm pretty sure. It would have come out a few years before CoJ the Cartel but it'd probably be easily confused with the same late-00's/early-10's desaturated poo poo and bloom on everything.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

catlord posted:

08 was entertaining, a good popcorn flick of a game. Janky as poo poo with mechanics that didn't land particularly well, but I found myself liking what it was attempting. The blinking mechanic, the way inventory was you looking at your jacket, the absolutely bonkers driving scenes. Plus it had the absolutely unforgettable line "I don't have your stone...and gently caress you anyway!" yelled at Satan.

This was the newer version of it, mind you (Inferno?).

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

Even the non-Inferno version of Alone in the Dark 08 was pretty neat, because of how it tried a few different things. Honestly it's still the the best crafting and scavenging I've seen in a horror game. It really hits that sweet spot of weak and limited, but not helpless.
Though some of the bosses could be trivialised with options that were more obvious than the intended ones.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Morpheus posted:

08 was entertaining, a good popcorn flick of a game. Janky as poo poo with mechanics that didn't land particularly well, but I found myself liking what it was attempting. The blinking mechanic, the way inventory was you looking at your jacket, the absolutely bonkers driving scenes. Plus it had the absolutely unforgettable line "I don't have your stone...and gently caress you anyway!" yelled at Satan.

This was the newer version of it, mind you (Inferno?).

Oh, '08 is fascinating because it did try to do so much, and it came so close to being a good game, but it was too much, I think. I never played Inferno, just the original release on PC which was... not great. I found the jank too much to handle, from everything I've heard Inferno made very good changes (like checkpoints in the first car chase sequence down the streets as they fall apart. In the PC version, if you gently caress up you gotta start from the very beginning, and it is so close to broken that it was a hard not to). Great soundtrack though.

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
I wish I could find my goddamn Inferno disc. As a longtime (long suffering?) fan of the franchise I look forward to whatever comes next.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
Alone in the dark leak for ps5 with screen shots and cover art at a french store, they took it down but one screenshot remains, game is written by the SOMA writer goijg by the details on the store

https://www.reddit.com/r/GamingLeaksAndRumours/comments/wmdtnh/alone_in_the_dark_leak/?utm_medium=android_app&utm_source=share

Mirror link with details, cover, screenshots

https://imgur.io/a/3eVtC6x

Vikar Jerome fucked around with this message at 10:53 on Aug 12, 2022

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Are there any horror games that aren't super scary?

Not sure if you would call it a true horror game, but I would recommend the severely underrated Murdered: Soul Suspect

https://store.steampowered.com/app/233290/Murdered_Soul_Suspect/

Its basically Frighteners: The video game, but instead of Michael J Fox you play as a newly dead cop after the guy who just killed you.

It has its creepy moments, and I wish they did a sequel.

OxMan
May 13, 2006

COME SEE
GRAVE DIGGER
LIVE AT MONSTER TRUCK JAM 2KXX

happyhippy posted:

Not sure if you would call it a true horror game, but I would recommend the severely underrated Murdered: Soul Suspect

https://store.steampowered.com/app/233290/Murdered_Soul_Suspect/

Its basically Frighteners: The video game, but instead of Michael J Fox you play as a newly dead cop after the guy who just killed you.

It has its creepy moments, and I wish they did a sequel.

It's not as noticeable as RE 3 but the town in that game has big "US town made by a japanese dude that hasn't been to a US town like that" energy which is the fun part but the twist is made by someone who played Heavy Rain and LIKED its twist payoff. Play it for the journey, not the destination. Its also on sale regularly on psn and steam for literally 2 bux all the time lol.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Ibram Gaunt posted:

I watched a streamer play it and it seems neat but also really buggy. He had to reload twice because an event broke and wouldn't let him interact with the corpse at all, and since there's no real saving it kinda just arbitrarily put him back a certain amount.

The timer seems kind of fake though, not sure what the actual mechanics were for it. The first run he was mostly messing around and it took a very very long time for his scribbles to change, and on his second run he was pretty swift and it progressed extremely fast, wouldn't be surprised if it's actually progress based rather than time.

I have been playing around with it a bit. I found I could embalm all 3 bodies and identify the name/body in about 30 minutes. Then I put the body in position with the mark next to the cremator and just stood there. It was another 12 minutes before I timed out and was possessed. I will say that you get a different ending cutscene for timing out than you do for having the wrong body/name, and a third different cutscene if you just burn a random body right away without doing anything else.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Vikar Jerome posted:

Alone in the dark leak for ps5 with screen shots and cover art at a french store, they took it down but one screenshot remains, game is written by the SOMA writer goijg by the details on the store

https://www.reddit.com/r/GamingLeaksAndRumours/comments/wmdtnh/alone_in_the_dark_leak/?utm_medium=android_app&utm_source=share

I don't know what the gently caress "doom jazz" is but I'm excited to find out

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

Southern Gothic horror I am so loving in

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Vikar Jerome posted:

Well if that's even half true, I'm kinda excited.

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

Disappointed it's a remake of the original rather than doing anything new with the series.

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"

Vikar Jerome posted:

Alone in the dark…written by the SOMA writer

Yea I’m in.

szary
Mar 12, 2014

Blockhouse posted:

I don't know what the gently caress "doom jazz" is but I'm excited to find out

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vl4x5pchBXI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=39eq9PphAAk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"

TheWorldsaStage posted:

Southern Gothic horror I am so loving in

:same: :dance:

Ha, there's a character in Paradise Killer named Dr. Doom-Jazz, I guess I should have assumed that would be an actual musical genre.