Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

keep punching joe posted:

Got this for £340 btw, hope its not shite.

Lenovo ThinkPad A485 - AMD Ryzen 5 PRO 2500U - 8GB RAM - 512GB SSD

Is this new or a refurb?

I'm in the market for a new laptop in the foreseeable future, but am a bit allergic to refurbs as our work insists on refurbs and we've had 3 brick on us in the last year (and despite my constant nagging on the subject, my colleagues are not very good at doing backups.)

Page snipe:

291 (magazine)
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

291 was an arts and literary magazine that was published from 1915 to 1916 in New York City.[1] It was created and published by a group of four individuals: photographer/modern art promoter Alfred Stieglitz, artist Marius de Zayas, art collector/journalist/poet Agnes E. Meyer and photographer/critic/arts patron Paul Haviland. Initially intended as a way to bring attention to Stieglitz's gallery of the same name (291), it soon became a work of art in itself. The magazine published original art work, essays, poems and commentaries by Francis Picabia, John Marin, Max Jacob, Georges Ribemont-Dessaignes, de Zayas, Stieglitz and other avant-garde artists and writers of the time, and it is credited with being the publication that introduced visual poetry to the United States.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

keep punching joe posted:

No food, no water, at this rate we're going to need a charity concert for the poor anglos.

Do they even know it's christmaaas!?!?

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Is this new or a refurb?

I'm in the market for a new laptop in the foreseeable future, but am a bit allergic to refurbs as our work insists on refurbs and we've had 3 brick on us in the last year (and despite my constant nagging on the subject, my colleagues are not very good at doing backups.)

Refurb from here https://www.stonerefurb.co.uk/ graded B which apparently means that the case may be scratched or have sticker residue.

Haven't bought a Windows laptop for 12 years so no idea if it's going to be a lemon or a ripoff.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

His Divine Shadow posted:

They will, as Jamie Oliver will be on TV showing them how to make a turkey dinner from some dead cats.
And the Queen will be on telling them that they are suffering as well, only having four courses this year.

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

if pressed on it I don't believe any one of the current crop of limelight MPs could tell you with any conviction what Woke is

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

kecske posted:

if pressed on it I don't believe any one of the current crop of limelight MPs could tell you with any conviction what Woke is

It’s anything they don’t like

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

:discourse: if Ethiopia releases it on January 7th

Isomermaid
Dec 3, 2019

Swish swish, like a fish

kecske posted:

Two fewer syllables than "loony left". Which is to say, just as dull and meaningless an epithet as it ever was.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~

Dabir posted:

There was a strip a couple years ago where Dilbert responded to a guy talking about his vacation by going "you know some of us actually like working, it's weird that you'd run away from it like that". So it's the former.

E: Found it: https://dilbert.com/strip/2016-06-17
Scott adams is a facinating creature.

When i was a kid you could get the big Dilbert collections for like £2 in secondhand bookshops. I loved comic strips and read anything i could get my hands on. Dilbert's dire corporate world still inhabits a space in my mind.

Dilbert was never a progresive comic but early on it was definitely informed by Adam's experiences working in an office. The boss was a devil, dilbert was downtrodden and cynical. It was a comic about being a helpless cog in an incompetent unfeeling machine.

Despite all the nuts stuff out of adam's mouth for decades now reading Dilbert tell his coworker that he doesn't need vacations is uniquely depressing, Adams is so divorced from his subject matter at this point that dilbert only exists as a shell now. The worker's perspective and needs don't enter Adam's mind anymore, what little humanity the characters possesed is gone.

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde

kecske posted:

It's the civil service, which corbyn turned into antisemites

https://twitter.com/guardian/status/1558062303999918080?s=20&t=PGXoKnrhwcNPaOt8sYvsOw

Oct 4, 2005

You just know theres a scarily high percentage of the population that believe it too

1965917 fucked around with this message at 13:20 on Aug 12, 2022

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 7 days!)

an epidemic of woke nazis

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tglgldqEHpE

Corbyn on Forde (if you want to get angry all over again)

Also talks about his EHRC response and the fallout of that.

sebzilla fucked around with this message at 13:26 on Aug 12, 2022

Shyrka
Feb 10, 2005

Small Boss likes to spin!

Mr Phillby posted:

Scott adams is a facinating creature.

When i was a kid you could get the big Dilbert collections for like £2 in secondhand bookshops. I loved comic strips and read anything i could get my hands on. Dilbert's dire corporate world still inhabits a space in my mind.

Dilbert was never a progresive comic but early on it was definitely informed by Adam's experiences working in an office. The boss was a devil, dilbert was downtrodden and cynical. It was a comic about being a helpless cog in an incompetent unfeeling machine.

Despite all the nuts stuff out of adam's mouth for decades now reading Dilbert tell his coworker that he doesn't need vacations is uniquely depressing, Adams is so divorced from his subject matter at this point that dilbert only exists as a shell now. The worker's perspective and needs don't enter Adam's mind anymore, what little humanity the characters possesed is gone.

Yeah, I got into Dilbert when I was in my mid-teens back in the 90s and while its treatment of women and minorities was very yikes in retrospect (but pretty much typical for any media made in the 90s) it was still very much about how dysfunctional and lovely corporate culture is. Uniquely depressing is a good way to put seeing that kind of line coming from Dilbert's mouth.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Mr Phillby posted:

The twist here is that Adams was the manager during the period of time he invented and published Dilbert.

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

Good to know that at least some Jewish values are also British values.

https://twitter.com/inthesedeserts/status/1558057479094910976

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

drought officially declared
good job guys we did it!

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Comrade Fakename posted:

The absolute unit, I'm in awe of the size of this family.

domhal
Dec 30, 2008

0.000% of Communism has been built. Evil child-murdering billionaires still rule the world with a shit-eating grin. All he has managed to do is make himself *sad*. It has, however, made him into a very, very smart boy with something like a university degree in Truth. Instead of building Communism, he now builds a precise model of this grotesque, duplicitous world.
https://twitter.com/ASLEFunion/status/1557863712526139394

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~

Tesseraction posted:

The twist here is that Adams was the manager during the period of time he invented and published Dilbert.
Not suprising tbh but at least Adams the manager could remember what it was like to be a worker. Adams the whatever the gently caress he is now obviously doesn't.

His email newsletter started as a way to source ideas from readers as he was once self aware enough to realize that full time cartoonist didn't have much to say about modern office life. I wonder if people still send stuff like that to him or if he only gets responses about the fuffilling orgasms now.

At least we have Gamer Dilbert now.

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008

feedmegin posted:

Never had a burglary attempt (knock on wood) but when I lived in :smugdog: I did have some drunk/drugged guy come trying to open the door into my literal bedroom (it opened onto an alleyway down the side of the house, weird setup) at about 3am. That was an experience.

I think my looming in the door window stark naked wielding a rolling pin scared him off, though.

This sort of thing accompanied by me saying "Long have I waited for this day. Lock the doors Zed" is my go to home invasion defense.

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
Hearing unconfirmed reports of fraudsters claiming to be from an 'energy company' sending letters to people demanding they pay ridiculous sums of money for turning their lights or heating on

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Comrade Fakename posted:

Are pork markets a Jewish value, Liz?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

the sex ghost posted:

Hearing unconfirmed reports of fraudsters claiming to be from an 'energy company' sending letters to people demanding they pay ridiculous sums of money for turning their lights or heating on

No, that's just the energy companies.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"
As far as I can tell labours new energy policy is:-

1. Windfall tax on energy companies
2. Use the windfall tax to subsidise energy companies
3. ???

It's almost the ideal example of doing nothing to make it look like you're doing something

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

According to this, rainfall in Inverness for the year to date is barely below average. 1066mm to July to the average of 1086mm

The Wicked ZOGA
Jan 27, 2022
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!
Dorset is on fire atm

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?

Guavanaut posted:

Are pork markets a Jewish value, Liz?

Schrödinger's Jew: both Jewish because he works in the family business but not Jewish because he didn't start it himself

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
(((Dan Hodges))) plumbing new depths of stupidity in his desperate attempts to do a gender.

https://twitter.com/BrandyLJensen/status/1558087835261042695?t=aLjMPBsj_9GYlLAX5tqkRw&s=19

I wouldn't share his nonsense other than that it's a solid shutdown and also I didn't know his mum was Glenda Jackson

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004
anyone who reads Cinema Discusso for anything more than slackjawed trolling will see the shittiness in my posts

The Guardian posted:

Liz Truss has set out a plan to “protect British Jewry” from “creeping antisemitism” and “woke culture” in the civil service, while praising Jews for holding values such as protecting the family unit and setting up businesses.

lmao

We must combat anti-semitism by emphasising the positive values of Jews, such as "rubbing their hands together over large piles of gold" and "literally pulling strings attached to important global figures."

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

And if someone who was all for traditional binary gender roles, it was obviously Jeanne d'Arc.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Hmm. Local reservoir capacity gone from 90% to 80% over the past 48 hours. Ruh-roh.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Solar panels are a depressing sight..

What isn't depressing is cities blackened by burning coal.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

Turning all my taps on at full speed in protest at these woke hosepipe bans

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

Solar panels are a depressing sight..

What isn't depressing is cities blackened by burning coal.
We can rub it on our faces and upset the woke by pretending to be traditional English dance characters like 'a thief' and 'a bad person'.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

https://twitter.com/BrandyLJensen/status/1558087835261042695

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

I am currently limping my way to Coventry on an Avanti train that has barely worked since it left Edinburgh and had to stop around Stafford to be turned off and on again.

This is the same Avanti currently not offering any advance tickets from Manchester to London because their staff have decided to *checks notes* work to their contracted hours, which has absolutely hosed their ability to run any actual trains. Incredible stuff.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

I do remember going to my first wife's church in rural Michigan where they had this whole display about their Mission to the godless heathens of England who had never heard the Word. They were super proud of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
The CofE is dangerously Catholic, they have hats