Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Number 1 Nerd Tear Farmer 2022.

Keep it up, champ.

Also you're a skeleton warrior now. Kree.
Unlockable Ben

Kai Tave posted:

https://twitter.com/WCgameco/status/1556684331200008193

It's one person's experience but it's thread-relevant and worth a read considering a lot of people were counting on Gamefound to be the replacement for indie TRPG crowdfunding. The part about "Told me art I made was not good enough. Suggested I add miniatures" really makes me think that Gamefound wants to strongly focus on things like big six- and seven-figure boardgame projects rather than someone's lower budget RPG.

Worse, that sounds like they want to focus on lovely overproduced board games with terrible designs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

hyphz posted:

Worse, that sounds like they want to focus on lovely overproduced board games with terrible designs.

Did anyone expect more from Awakened Realms?

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Coolness Averted posted:

What's your trick for filing a police report without to the police being contacted? Keep in mind jurisdiction is gonna matter.

You can file em online where I live. I meant in the sense of calling them to physically come over in person though. AFAIK most places will take reports over the phone. Just don't ask them to come by in person when you do.

Improbable Lobster fucked around with this message at 05:49 on Aug 12, 2022

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗
edit:

Improbable Lobster posted:

You can file em online where I live. I meant in the sense of calling them to physically come over in person though. AFAIK most places will take reports over the phone. Just don't ask them to come by in person when you do.

Yeah there was some miscommunication here. Dexo posted about entirely avoiding the criminal justice framework whenever possible because of the potential for the rotten system hurting people. I think their position is a fair one, by the way.

I'm saying that (once again due to that rotten system in the US) the victims of crime can be forced to interface with it, and can be at an active disadvantage in getting access to remedy, healthcare, or even protection from their aggressor without a police report being on file.

The conversation about how you file a police report doesn't change if the police might abuse their power to harass someone, though it hopefully could help avoid police escalation.

As an aside, it's actually kind of funny how much stuff varies from jurisdiction to jurisdiction. When I had my car stolen in the early 2000's I was able to get a police report taken over the phone. When I was the victim of another property crime in 2019 my only choices were a cop came out or I went to the station. I couldn't make a statement over the phone or do anything online, this was in LA county too, not some rural PD.

Coolness Averted fucked around with this message at 06:17 on Aug 12, 2022

admanb
Jun 18, 2014

Coolness Averted posted:

I think there's been a miscommunication here. Dexo posted about entirely avoiding the criminal justice framework whenever possible because of the potential for the rotten system hurting people. I think their position is a fair one, by the way.

I'm saying that (once again due to that rotten system in the US) the victims of crime can be forced to interface with it, and can be at an active disadvantage in getting access to remedy, healthcare, or even protection from their aggressor without a police report being on file.

I think the crossed wires might be because the shorthand 'calling the cops' was used a few times, and some of us are using it to mean involving law enforcement at all, and others of us seem to be using it to mean calling the police phone number and trying to get a squad car out to the crime scene.

Otherwise I'm still just puzzled about what "file a police report but without the police being involved" is supposed to mean.

I'm just making jokes about how the police are poo poo.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Coolness Averted posted:

Otherwise I'm still just puzzled about what "file a police report but without the police being involved" is supposed to mean.

quote:

others of us seem to be using it to mean calling the police phone number and trying to get a squad car out to the crime scene.

Also don't put words in my mouth.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Midjack posted:

Getting hosed up and loving is so heavily integrated into con culture that it will be impossible to remove unless you completely evacuate the community in question and repopulate it with an entirely different bunch. Doesn't matter what the topic is: tabletop games, comic books, information security, loving analytical chemistry. Nerds are going to get blackout drunk and sexually assault people at these things forever, and you basically have to be on alert the whole time. More critically, you have to be fearless in defending yourself, up to the risk of getting yourself excommunicated when you (for example) kick somebody's rear end when they wouldn't stop grabbing yours and your dick after you'd asked them to stop nicely five or six times. And as distasteful as I found it as a straight white guy it's a million times worse for women and minorities because the whole room turns against them the instant they raise a hand against their attackers.

Edit: just to be clear it didn't happen to me but I watched the whole thing go down, from the first rear end grab to the last punch.

I dunno, I think most people find it pretty easy not to sexually assault people at work events. Those who struggle with it need to be driven the gently caress out, because that poo poo is intolerable.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
yeah nothing about that is impossible to change, especially with support from organizers

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Halloween Jack posted:

Dot said in her statement that she reported it to GenCon through official channels before going public.

The way she wrote it reads more like she was giving them a heads up before she shared it, rather than she wanted it handled and they did nothing, but that could just be either poor wording from her or misinterpretation on my part.

The biggest problem with curbing this poo poo at Cons is that the majority of the people you're supposed to report this stuff to are temp workers who have no training and either don't know how or don't want to deal with situations this delicate.

Truther Vandross fucked around with this message at 15:29 on Aug 12, 2022

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

ASK ME ABOUT HOW SCOTLAND'S PROPOSED TRANS LEGISLATION IS DIVISIVE AS HELL BECAUSE IT IS SO SWEEPING THAT IT COULD BE POTENTIALLY ABUSED AT A TIME WHERE THE LACK OF SAFETY FOR WOMEN HAS BEEN SO GLARING

sportsgenius86 posted:

The way she wrote it reads more like she was giving them a heads up before she shared it, rather than she wanted it handled and they did nothing, but that could just be either poor wording from her or misinterpretation on my part.

I got the impression she forewarned GenCon that she was going to make a public statement, then did so. I don't know if she accepts their response or not, but it seemed like her intent was always to tell what happened.

On the police response point, I was mostly surprised that I haven't seen anything about the police being contacted, which may be a difference in attitude between the US/ UK.

Confidence in the police is very low here in the UK, but you would still expect stuff like this to be reported even if no charges are actually brought. Which is depressingly very common in sexual assault cases.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Liquid Communism posted:

I dunno, I think most people find it pretty easy not to sexually assault people at work events. Those who struggle with it need to be driven the gently caress out, because that poo poo is intolerable.

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

yeah nothing about that is impossible to change, especially with support from organizers

You'd think that, and yet it's been happening for well over sixty years. If you're in a position to make things different at an event then have at it. I would love to hear that you made sure an attacker got what was coming to them, whether that was some wall to wall counseling, a public burn notice that doesn't get retracted when the attacker's sycophants start screeching about, or a ride through the legal system.

Notahippie
Feb 4, 2003

Kids, it's not cool to have Shane MacGowan teeth

Midjack posted:

Getting hosed up and loving is so heavily integrated into con culture that it will be impossible to remove unless you completely evacuate the community in question and repopulate it with an entirely different bunch. Doesn't matter what the topic is: tabletop games, comic books, information security, loving analytical chemistry. Nerds are going to get blackout drunk and sexually assault people at these things forever, and you basically have to be on alert the whole time. More critically, you have to be fearless in defending yourself, up to the risk of getting yourself excommunicated when you (for example) kick somebody's rear end when they wouldn't stop grabbing yours and your dick after you'd asked them to stop nicely five or six times. And as distasteful as I found it as a straight white guy it's a million times worse for women and minorities because the whole room turns against them the instant they raise a hand against their attackers.

Edit: just to be clear it didn't happen to me but I watched the whole thing go down, from the first rear end grab to the last punch.

There's a parallel in a lot of academic societies' annual conferences - the same con culture is there in a lot of them, but I feel like we're watching it die since every year you have a new crop of grad students coming in and increasingly people are refusing to put up with it. There's still a lot of really terrible abuses, but I feel like the trend is towards professionalizing the engagement. I think for a couple of reasons, partially relating to the social culture of gaming and partially relating to the fact that there's not as much turnover in who shows up, gaming/pop culture cons might be slower to change than some other professional societies but I really hope we'll get there in the next couple of years because the expectation that networking requires mass drinking combined with the hotel environments of cons sets up a lot of truly gross dynamics even before you get into the issue of power imbalances within the professional communities.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I mean, you're certainly correct that it's impossible to fix these issues in an old boys' club that runs on Geek Social Fallacies. But it doesn't have to be that way.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Coolness Averted posted:

edit:

Yeah there was some miscommunication here. Dexo posted about entirely avoiding the criminal justice framework whenever possible because of the potential for the rotten system hurting people. I think their position is a fair one, by the way.

"I need a police report because I need that report for XYZ system that requires it" falls under "no option available other than calling the police."

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Midjack posted:

I don't know if it's possible to separate the attitude of this being a fun multi-day outing for regular convention-goers who are going to get together and drink after a day hitting the floor for merch, and maybe connect or reconnect with distant buddies who may or may not work in the con's industry. If you're there in some formal capacity repping a company or if a company is having some official or even semi-official get-together in the evening with drinks though, then I think it's reasonable for those to be held to a higher standard of decency. That's not fun, but there are plenty of ways to unwind after a hard day dealing with the public that don't involve getting blackout drunk and sexually assaulting your coworkers.

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You know you didn't have to go post that, right?
But it's fine, I guess...

You just keep being you!

Ugleb posted:

On the police response point, I was mostly surprised that I haven't seen anything about the police being contacted, which may be a difference in attitude between the US/ UK.

Confidence in the police is very low here in the UK, but you would still expect stuff like this to be reported even if no charges are actually brought. Which is depressingly very common in sexual assault cases.

I think only specific police officers are armed with tasers in the UK, and they are mostly sent to deal with a smaller range of specific issues, so we do get instances of cops killing/causing the death of someone going through a mental health crisis but not other cases where American police have pumped someone full of lead, like traffic stops or shooting someone's dog while doing something completely unrelated, etc.

Although, presumably, someone's going to correct me with newspaper reports of British police killing people and dogs in those circumstances as well. :shrug:

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

ASK ME ABOUT HOW SCOTLAND'S PROPOSED TRANS LEGISLATION IS DIVISIVE AS HELL BECAUSE IT IS SO SWEEPING THAT IT COULD BE POTENTIALLY ABUSED AT A TIME WHERE THE LACK OF SAFETY FOR WOMEN HAS BEEN SO GLARING

LashLightning posted:

I think only specific police officers are armed with tasers in the UK, and they are mostly sent to deal with a smaller range of specific issues, so we do get instances of cops killing/causing the death of someone going through a mental health crisis but not other cases where American police have pumped someone full of lead, like traffic stops or shooting someone's dog while doing something completely unrelated, etc.

Although, presumably, someone's going to correct me with newspaper reports of British police killing people and dogs in those circumstances as well. :shrug:

Yes, generally our police are not armed so there is less chance of being straight up killed for little to no reason.

Last year there was however a high profile case of an off duty officer using his credentials to randomly stop, arrest, kidnap, rape and murder a woman he saw walking home alone in central London.

So you don't always need a gun.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Halloween Jack posted:

I mean, you're certainly correct that it's impossible to fix these issues in an old boys' club that runs on Geek Social Fallacies. But it doesn't have to be that way.
As someone who has never been able to really drink due to both liver issues and a religious rule, it has always mystified me how people will come such distances, spend so much money, position themselves with so much effort, just so they can go back to their hotel rooms and drink themselves into stupors and/or assault frenzies, whether regular or sexual. I have wondered if some of it is also connected to the institution of the expense account (not that people appear to need encouragement to get loving drunk)

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

It's social anxiety.

Sionak
Dec 20, 2005

Mind flay the gap.

Notahippie posted:

There's a parallel in a lot of academic societies' annual conferences - the same con culture is there in a lot of them, but I feel like we're watching it die since every year you have a new crop of grad students coming in and increasingly people are refusing to put up with it. There's still a lot of really terrible abuses, but I feel like the trend is towards professionalizing the engagement. I think for a couple of reasons, partially relating to the social culture of gaming and partially relating to the fact that there's not as much turnover in who shows up, gaming/pop culture cons might be slower to change than some other professional societies but I really hope we'll get there in the next couple of years because the expectation that networking requires mass drinking combined with the hotel environments of cons sets up a lot of truly gross dynamics even before you get into the issue of power imbalances within the professional communities.

Yeah. My experience has been that both graduate students and an increasing number of people in the tabletop industry are tired of after hours socializing/networking being drenched in alcohol. It will not change right away but I don't think everyone has the attitude of "this is part of the experience, even if I hate it and it's unsafe."

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Couple friends of mine had been going to multiple cons a year all over the place - their thing was cosplay - and always targeting the afterparties as a big part of the fun. I think for them, seeing their regular friends and attending the room parties with them was a big part of the draw.

That changed when someone roofied her. Fortunately she figured out she wasn't feeling right and got her husband over and they escaped before an assault took place. They contacted the police, who did nothing but take a statement - they did not even contact the person who drugged her, or search him for roofies, or anything. Basically they assumed she was drunk and discounted the rest of her claim completely. The fact she styles her hair in a mohawk and generally has an alt/punk look may have further prejudiced the officer.

They still go to cons now, but they're super selective about who they drink with and have basically written off open parties, bars, etc. I think the above incident is not a totally isolated one, and it also illustrates that some people attend these cons with the specific intention of getting laid, no matter what. The alcohol-drenched atmosphere just gives cover for premeditated sexual assault. Of course most of the coupling at cons is consensual, and not actually a "problem", but whenever you get a few hundred drunk people together in a situation where casual sex is a traditional expectation of many of the participants, you have to set up extra precautions for everyone.

To put it another way, IMO a well-run con concerned about safety would ban in-room open parties, ensure that there are sober chaperones at every official party with alcohol (e.g. in the hotel bar or whatever), make sure there's a safe place anyone who needs it can retreat to to get away from a person who is pressing unwanted contact, and actively look for inappropriate behavior the way a bouncer at a bar does, rather than just passively wait for it to be reported later. Someone grabbing people's dicks at the party should be snagged and booted the gently caress out at the first sign of a victim saying "hey I said don't touch me!"

Of course that would require money, organization, training, and a willingness to enforce rules that would be very unpopular with a significant fraction of attendees.

Cassius Belli
May 22, 2010

horny is prohibited

MadScientistWorking posted:

Also, I'm not sure how admitting to sexually harassing people was going to get ahead of the situation...

A bit of a late reply, but Daisy opens up on Monday with this "hey we're all cool, right buddy?" tweet about Dot (rescued from Google Cache):

She knows something is wrong; Dot spends Sunday avoiding her and doesn't come back to the room that night. That moves on to an apology on the 10th for having "messed up, made people uncomfortable, and behaved poorly," and saying she's getting professional help, as it becomes clear that things were not, in fact, all cool.

The undersell and deflection feels conspicuous.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

Ugleb posted:

Yes, generally our police are not armed so there is less chance of being straight up killed for little to no reason.

Last year there was however a high profile case of an off duty officer using his credentials to randomly stop, arrest, kidnap, rape and murder a woman he saw walking home alone in central London.

So you don't always need a gun.
Nicknamed "The Rapist" by his colleagues.

I've heard plenty of stories from an old school "friend" about him doing totally cool poo poo like slamming someone up against the wall with a riot shield in their own kitchen because she was suicidal. Of course, she was also his ex. It's cool though, he recognised the address so his mates knew he knew how to calm her down and deescalate the situation. Haha totally badass police stuff, so how's your career going?

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

moths posted:

It's social anxiety.

Anxiety doesn't cause sexual assault

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Improbable Lobster posted:

Anxiety doesn't cause sexual assault

Anxiety causes drinking, which is the answer to the asked question "Why are all these convention attendees drinking so heavily?"

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

moths posted:

Anxiety causes drinking, which is the answer to the asked question "Why are all these convention attendees drinking so heavily?"
While I understand what you're saying, I think this isn't exactly a 1:1, even if it may be why people get rolling in a lot of cases.

We have the (hopefully, relatively small) number of people who are using alcohol as a cover for sexual assault in several forms, whether roofies or "lol I'm drunk time to bite asses" or probably several other methods that I have not considered. These people must be removed with vigor tout suite independent of the level of drinking going on.

I'm talking about the kind of second thread, which I think reinforces the first, which is social acceptance and toleration of binge drinking as a cool, awesome, fun, perhaps even somehow necessary thing to do. And I will be explicit that I am not talking about three beers at a long party, I mean stunt drinking. This doesn't even seem to be that fun if you're not an alcoholic already; and it also seems to give cover to the first set of people.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Nessus posted:

As someone who has never been able to really drink due to both liver issues and a religious rule, it has always mystified me how people will come such distances, spend so much money, position themselves with so much effort, just so they can go back to their hotel rooms and drink themselves into stupors and/or assault frenzies, whether regular or sexual. I have wondered if some of it is also connected to the institution of the expense account (not that people appear to need encouragement to get loving drunk)

Drinking can be fun. Being tipsy is fun and can reduce stresses and allow tightly wound people to be more loose and free for a period of time.

Like I've gotten tipsy/drunk at bars and clubs, and other social gatherings(none related to work tho). Not something I recommend you regularly do. But like any drug it can be a fun enough experience.

I've never jumped into someone's bed naked and attempted to initiate something like that tho(lmao my black rear end would be in jail or get legitimately shot by a cop lol). The worst is probably like some incredibly cringe poo poo I've said to someone I was interested in, but even then it was a brief flirt/shot attempt and then moved on when that poo poo got swatted away.

Like was stated before, alcohol only removes a thin layer of social anxieties and hesitation of action. It doesn't instantly turn you into sexual assaulter, or harasser unless you are leaning that direction already, which that person clearly was with how weirdly forceful they were about tinder and other poo poo constantly laying it on someone who clearly wasn't interested.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Nessus posted:

it has always mystified me how people will come such distances, spend so much money, position themselves with so much effort, just so they can go back to their hotel rooms and drink themselves into stupors and/or assault frenzies, whether regular or sexual.

They're not sitting in a room drinking by themselves. They're doing it over dinner, at events, etc. That's why they call booze a social lubricant.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Bottom Liner posted:

They're not sitting in a room drinking by themselves. They're doing it over dinner, at events, etc. That's why they call booze a social lubricant.
I'm not a drinkologist for obvious reasons but if you're getting blackout drunk does it not kind of spoil the experience? I don't know what the aftermath is like other than the hangover experience, and I don't have the direct experience. Like if you're getting super drunk, not tipsy/lit up, at what point does it actually mess up the experience you're trying to have (spending time with friends, etc.)

Like a lot of this is that "drinking with someone" is a synecdoche for "spending time with someone" culturally, which is its own problem with Western society and unlikely to be remedied by convention policies... unless...?

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
Are there other conventions that mix the professional with the social as much?

Like, a lot of drinking happens at industry conventions like OSCON or NAWLA or whatever (and the former is stocked to the brim with socially awkward folk). But deep down everybody understands they're here for work, that loving up here can gently caress up your job.

And there are "social" / "fun" conventions, but from what I've gathered there isn't quite the same after party scene at boat shows or landscaping conventions or whatever - people go to the convention and then bail to do whatever they were going to do in the city anyway. And the people who work the conventions aren't interested in palling around with plebes with normal colored lanyards - they're done with work and maybe feel like connecting with other people in the industry but might just close up the booth and go to sleep.

I feel like nerd cons (tabletop, video game, comic cons) are in this weird middle space where a lot of people go there just to see cool poo poo and buy poo poo and experience it, much like wedding conventions or auto shows. But there are also lots of people there for whom this is a work destination, where the networking takes place.

And the fact that it's both results in a lot of problems, I think.

Are there other industries / cons that are destinations both for networking and fandom / hobbyiest interest?

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

CitizenKeen posted:

Are there other industries / cons that are destinations both for networking and fandom / hobbyiest interest?
I suppose the Japanese dojin scene is probably kind of like this, although I'm gonna go ahead and guess that we should probably not take Japanese drinking culture as a model.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
https://mobile.twitter.com/KoboldPress/status/1558181370136088579

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Nessus posted:

I'm not a drinkologist for obvious reasons but if you're getting blackout drunk does it not kind of spoil the experience? I don't know what the aftermath is like other than the hangover experience, and I don't have the direct experience. Like if you're getting super drunk, not tipsy/lit up, at what point does it actually mess up the experience you're trying to have (spending time with friends, etc.)

Like a lot of this is that "drinking with someone" is a synecdoche for "spending time with someone" culturally, which is its own problem with Western society and unlikely to be remedied by convention policies... unless...?

Why are you asking these high level questions about human behavior like there is any singular answer for anything you are asking? People like to socialize. They like to drink because they have more fun socializing that way. Some people go too far and lose inhibitions or take advantage of those that did. This happens more frequently when there are large numbers of.people together, like say at a hobby or business convention.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
On this very special episode of the TG As An Industry Thread: we solve the global social ills of substance abuse and optimal processes to follow after cases of sexual misconduct.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

It's definitely also an issue of scale. The worst 10% of drinking at an event with 50,000 attendees is going to be exponentially worse than the worst 10% of dads at an Applebee's.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Nessus posted:

I'm not a drinkologist for obvious reasons but if you're getting blackout drunk does it not kind of spoil the experience?

A lot of people have unhealthy relationships with alcohol/drugs and their portrayal in media and political demonization often mean that they really don't ever meaningfully examine this in any way. So, they just are flatly unaware that having moderation is even an option.

CitizenKeen posted:

Are there other conventions that mix the professional with the social as much?

I just touched base with my brother on this who has done a lot of travel during his grad program and now that he's working, does a lot of the conference work and also booking for his grant-adjacent work (biochem).

His exact response was: Hell yeah, people get hosed up all the time and always have. The only thing that slowed it down a little was COVID, but they are back at it again.

My uncle does psychology/neuroscience, and we'll into his 50s was telling us regular stories about the wild parties and binge drinking at the conferences he spoke at.

TL;DR: Everyone, everywhere is still getting wrecked when they travel to events, full stop.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

moths posted:

It's definitely also an issue of scale. The worst 10% of drinking at an event with 50,000 attendees is going to be exponentially worse than the worst 10% of dads at an Applebee's.
Right, especially if those people are the key networking figures (which is where this mostly grew out of)

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant

Toshimo posted:

My uncle does psychology/neuroscience, and we'll into his 50s was telling us regular stories about the wild parties and binge drinking at the conferences he spoke at.
Sorry, that's not what I was asking. I opened my previous post acknowledging there being a lot of drinking at the conventions of other industries. I've been to conventions in other industries and people get absolutely blasted; I know this.

I was asking if there are other conventions that are equal parts "industry networking" (you're there to socialize with people in your industry) and "hobby conventions" (you're there to buy stuff and check out vendors you like, and the vendors are just there to sell poo poo to you). As far as I can tell, the nerd industries seem to be a little unique in that aspect.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I think you're on to something, at least in that what you call the "nerd conventions" - sci fi/fantasy, gaming, comic book, maybe a couple others - explicitly support an after-hours party atmosphere, seeking convention hotels where it's OK to have party rooms, scheduling late night events like screenings of topical film/shows, meet-and-greets at bars, etc. I've been to a technical writing convention in hawaii and while people absolutely went out afterward and got hammered, they more or less had to make those arrangements with each other on an ad-hoc basis or they were entirely outside the convention hotel, like maybe you'd hear one software vendor was having a party at a particular restaurant and you were welcome to come, but that was totally not "part of the convention".

My current employer holds its annual convention in Vegas. I haven't been yet and I hope I'm not asked to go, ever. I don't think several tens of thousands of software people let loose in vegas after long boring days talking about enterprise cloud application platforms are going to be restrained. We have strict corporate rules and training that we all have to take over and over that covers poo poo like how it's unacceptable to take clients to a strip club as entertainment... but I'd bet dollars to donuts it'll happen anyway.

But there's no alcohol-provided official events at our convention, whatsoever. I'm sure if you eat a meal at your hotel you can order booze, but that's on your own tab. And I bet if an employee got caught hosting a booze-up in their expensed hotel room they'd be fired.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant

Leperflesh posted:

I think you're on to something, at least in that what you call the "nerd conventions" - sci fi/fantasy, gaming, comic book, maybe a couple others - explicitly support an after-hours party atmosphere, seeking convention hotels where it's OK to have party rooms, scheduling late night events like screenings of topical film/shows, meet-and-greets at bars, etc. I've been to a technical writing convention in hawaii and while people absolutely went out afterward and got hammered, they more or less had to make those arrangements with each other on an ad-hoc basis or they were entirely outside the convention hotel, like maybe you'd hear one software vendor was having a party at a particular restaurant and you were welcome to come, but that was totally not "part of the convention".

My current employer holds its annual convention in Vegas. I haven't been yet and I hope I'm not asked to go, ever. I don't think several tens of thousands of software people let loose in vegas after long boring days talking about enterprise cloud application platforms are going to be restrained. We have strict corporate rules and training that we all have to take over and over that covers poo poo like how it's unacceptable to take clients to a strip club as entertainment... but I'd bet dollars to donuts it'll happen anyway.

But there's no alcohol-provided official events at our convention, whatsoever. I'm sure if you eat a meal at your hotel you can order booze, but that's on your own tab. And I bet if an employee got caught hosting a booze-up in their expensed hotel room they'd be fired.

And more importantly, I don't think there are many people going to those corporate software conferences on their own dime for funsies, just hoping to get invited to an after-party with Scott Hanselman or Joel Spolsky or to pitch their idea to Adam Selipsky in his hotel room (to borrow your work). My job is lumber-adjacent, and lumber brokers absolutely get together every year, and drink, and drink on the company dime, but drinking and networking is the point of the event. They're all there to better their job prospects. People get drunk, and sometimes people do dumb stuff, but everybody there is in the industry, and anything you do at an afterparty is presumed to be a part of your job. You can have fun while you work but everybody knows they're at work.

I feel like some of the problem with things like GenCon is that people are there to have fun and also to work and the line between the two gets blurry. (The blurry line doesn't explain/excuse sexual assault.)