Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

TheIncredulousHulk posted:

Feel like you might consider pumping the brakes a little bit on declaring Trump done until he's actually done

Seriously. Like plenty to laugh about at the moment, and it's always good and healthy to take in moments like these in politics and enjoy, but yeah we really don't know how this is going to go.
Like even with all this poo poo, I still consider the chances of trump actually doing any time a long shot, but there is a whole bunch of other stuff that could happen with out that, that would be most good and cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Main Paineframe posted:

For example, the reason the 14 words are racist isn't because there's 14 of them and 14 can translate to AH which is short for Adolf Hitler.

Can you walk me through how 14 would turn into AH?

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

I think the most ominous thing for trump in all this is that Haberman is cashing in her chips.

We’re gonna live in hellworld where she wins a Pulitzer and it’s held up as the cardinal defense of access journalism.

https://twitter.com/maggienyt/status/1557928072325865472?s=21&t=ve_Sn4K-wd_9rOLWRMxhEg

Herstory Begins Now posted:

idk why you would even want that poo poo around, it's a huge liability at best and almost literally radioactive at worst. Like there's no legit reason you'd want boxes of that stuff just hanging out in your basement

Trump spent his whole career acquiring white elephants. If he didn’t have his fathers fortune to fall back on he’d be in the poor house.

FizFashizzle fucked around with this message at 10:36 on Aug 12, 2022

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker

-Blackadder- posted:

I wouldn't say it's inexplicable at all.

There's been multiple accounts of him bragging about new secret nuclear weapons systems (that he tells people he built) and letting his golf buddies take pictures with the guy who follows him around with the nuclear football.

Trump taking a bunch of souvenirs from his time at the white house and bragging while he shows them to his guests at Mar-A-Lago is literally the most on brand thing about this whole situation. I'd be genuinely surprised if he was actually trying to sell nuclear secrets, but not even remotely surprised if DOJ had to raid his house to get back a bunch of sensitive papers he took so he could show them to his golf buddies.
Agreed, 100%.

In my experience, if you find yourself asking a question with the premise "this doesn't make sense! Based on my life experience, I can't understand anyone doing/behaving like this!" you will never go wrong assuming it's a behavioral disorder like narcissism.

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON
Great 'what the gently caress' start to Friday.

https://twitter.com/thetomzone/status/1557908754867396608?t=hv9KEZ1ccF_S4n83dFHMBw&s=19

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Dude was a regular Anton Chigurh carrying a gas tank around

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

He literally spent his last moments on earth posting in a storm of bullets while bleeding out.

An inspiration to us all.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

BigBallChunkyTime posted:

Weren't they there for like 8 hours?

Yeah. They arrived at 6:30 am and left in the early afternoon.

tecnocrat
Oct 5, 2003
Struggling to keep his sanity.

FizFashizzle posted:

He literally spent his last moments on earth posting in a storm of bullets while bleeding out.

An inspiration to us all.

If there is one thing we can all learn from him, it's to :justpost:

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

The final compromise text of the Iran nuclear deal revival was finished and the negotiations ended.

The U.S. has signed on to the compromise, they are going to find a way to deal with the excess uranium without Russia, and Iran says that it "can be acceptable if it provides assurances" for some of Iran's specific demands.

So, they just need Iran to sign off on the "assurances" and it's done.

Also, this is either a sign of how desperate the U.S. is to close the deal now that they are so close or how little they care about john Bolton, but either way it is kind of hilarious.

quote:

The 2015 pact seemed near revival in March. But 11 months of indirect talks between Tehran and the Biden administration in Vienna were thrown into disarray chiefly over Iran's insistence that Washington remove its elite Revolutionary Guards Corps from the U.S. Foreign Terrorist Organizations list.

On Wednesday the United States charged a Revolutionary Guards member with plotting to murder John Bolton, a national security adviser to Trump, though Washington said it did not believe the charges should affect the nuclear talks with Tehran.

"Look, I know you just tried to kill John Bolton, but that's a separate thing and we won't hold it against you. Just please sign."

https://twitter.com/Reuters/status/1558058232358346752

quote:

The EU said on Monday it had put forward a "final" text following four days of indirect talks between U.S. and Iranian officials in Vienna. read more

A senior EU official said no more changes could be made to the text, which has been under negotiation for 15 months. He said he expected a final decision from the parties within a "very, very few weeks.”

IRNA quoted the unidentified Iranian diplomat as saying Tehran was reviewing the proposal. “Proposals by the EU can be acceptable if they provide Iran with assurance on the issues of safeguards, sanctions and guarantees,” the diplomat said.

The Islamic Republic has sought to obtain guarantees that no future U.S. president would renege on the deal if it were revived, as then-President Donald Trump did in 2018 and restored harsh U.S. sanctions on Iran.

However, President Joe Biden cannot provide such ironclad assurances because the deal is a political understanding rather than a legally binding treaty.

A Shi'ite Muslim cleric, in a sermon at Friday prayers that typically echo the state line, said Tehran insisted on obtaining verifiable guarantees that U.S. sanctions would be lifted under a revived deal, according to Iranian state TV.

"We insist on getting the necessary guarantees, the lifting of sanctions and verification, and if this is achieved, then our negotiating team will tell the people that sanctions have been lifted thanks to your resistance and power," Kazem Seddiqi said at Friday prayers in the capital Tehran, according to state TV.

Washington has said it is ready to quickly reach an agreement to restore the deal on the basis of the EU proposals.

Iranian officials said they would convey their "additional views and considerations" to the EU, which coordinates the talks, after consultations in Tehran.

The 2015 pact seemed near revival in March. But 11 months of indirect talks between Tehran and the Biden administration in Vienna were thrown into disarray chiefly over Iran's insistence that Washington remove its elite Revolutionary Guards Corps from the U.S. Foreign Terrorist Organizations list.

On Wednesday the United States charged a Revolutionary Guards member with plotting to murder John Bolton, a national security adviser to Trump, though Washington said it did not believe the charges should affect the nuclear talks with Tehran. read more

Under the 2015 agreement, Iran curbed its disputed uranium enrichment programme, a possible pathway to nuclear weapons, in return for relief from U.S., EU and U.N. sanctions. Tehran says it wants nuclear power only for peaceful purposes.

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

Well, that's how it works in most science fiction! When the bad guys have an energy shield that blocks energy and high velocity projectile weapons, you have to throw a knife or (sometimes) use a bow and arrow! It's how the plucky underdog rebel humans beat the fascist alien overlords.

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

The final compromise text of the Iran nuclear deal revival was finished and the negotiations ended.

The U.S. has signed on to the compromise, they are going to find a way to deal with the excess uranium without Russia, and Iran says that it "can be acceptable if it provides assurances" for some of Iran's specific demands.

So, they just need Iran to sign off on the "assurances" and it's done.

Also, this is either a sign of how desperate the U.S. is to close the deal now that they are so close or how little they care about john Bolton, but either way it is kind of hilarious.

"Look, I know you just tried to kill John Bolton, but that's a separate thing and we won't hold it against you. Just please sign."

https://twitter.com/Reuters/status/1558058232358346752

What is the possibility for Congress to scupper the deal this time? I know it's not a treaty, but is there some sort of Senate approval/disapproval period again?

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Can we just give them Bolton anyway? As a show of good faith, ya know?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Maybe the point of contention holding up the talks is that the attempt failed

Tuxedo Gin posted:

Well, that's how it works in most science fiction! When the bad guys have an energy shield that blocks energy and high velocity projectile weapons, you have to throw a knife or (sometimes) use a bow and arrow! It's how the plucky underdog rebel humans beat the fascist alien overlords.

The slow knife nail penetrates the shield window

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

Eric Cantonese posted:

What is the possibility for Congress to scupper the deal this time? I know it's not a treaty, but is there some sort of Senate approval/disapproval period again?

Answered your own question there. Since it's not a treaty, no Senate role. All Congress can do is whine. They can't even defund operations because the US not doing something doesn't need funding.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

JohnCompany posted:

Answered your own question there. Since it's not a treaty, no Senate role. All Congress can do is whine. They can't even defund operations because the US not doing something doesn't need funding.

If they do revive it, then there is going to be a legal battle. Because, after Obama's nuclear deal, Republicans pushed a bill that would require 2/3 of Congress to approve any "new deal" with Iran.

The Biden admin has been arguing that it is a "revival of an existing deal" and not a new deal; therefore the law doesn't apply to this situation. They also argue that Congress doesn't have the power to prevent the President from reaching understandings/deals that are not treaties with other countries.

Republicans are arguing that because they have made changes to the deal and been out of the deal for so many years, that this is a new deal by definition. And that it is effectively a treaty, so Congress does have jurisdiction over it.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.
The non denial is out.
https://twitter.com/nycsouthpaw/status/1558079785846415365

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

I'm good... I Haven't slept for a solid 83 hours, but yeah... I'm good...

Lipstick Apathy
Because this world doesn’t want to let up. Recently Vince McMahon was forced to step down from WWE due to sexual misconduct and gross misuse of the company payroll to pay off stars with hush money (it’s claimed that it was all his money just funneled through the company as if it makes it any better)

Welp… they found more when doing a dive through finances and well…

https://twitter.com/cultaholic/status/1558076130602663938?s=21&t=FvKFIDjqYKWGsUK1hhoqCg

Looks like it was before he was a candidate but color me not surprised about this

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

idk why you would even want that poo poo around, it's a huge liability at best and almost literally radioactive at worst. Like there's no legit reason you'd want boxes of that stuff just hanging out in your basement

Everything about the last eight years or so leads me to the conclusion that Trump is the type that would keep that sort of stuff around precisely because he was told he shouldn't.

I really think there's no plot by Trump to intentionally peddle this stuff for money or influence. This is entirely about him reflexively doing something that he was told not to. Perhaps there's and additional layer of joy he gets from getting away with something that he attacked other for, but that would require him to be able to accept the idea that he is wrong to be doing a thing and he absolutely cannot.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

Shifty Pony posted:

Everything about the last eight years or so leads me to the conclusion that Trump is the type that would keep that sort of stuff around precisely because he was told he shouldn't.

I really think there's no plot by Trump to intentionally peddle this stuff for money or influence. This is entirely about him reflexively doing something that he was told not to. Perhaps there's and additional layer of joy he gets from getting away with something that he attacked other for, but that would require him to be able to accept the idea that he is wrong to be doing a thing and he absolutely cannot.

This feels absolutely correct. He's a brat who loves doing things because he shouldn't, and this thing is entirely people telling him no.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Shifty Pony posted:

It is possible that in the back of Trump's head, between the insurrection investigations, taxes, etc he was quietly thinking that if everything goes to hell and he really needs to flee the country, then he could sell the nuclear secrets and live well in exile in Russia or wherever. We probably won't find any proof that he was keeping them as a possible retirement plan.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Tuxedo Gin posted:

We're all hosed if the chuds ever decide to use lasguns on the Pentagon shield generator

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Some more info on how much and what kind of stuff they took. I wonder what was so bad that they made him install a keypad safe to store it in, but allowed him to keep Sensitive Compartmented Information classification files out in the open in a locked storeroom.

https://twitter.com/BrianEntin/status/1557913504388202496
https://twitter.com/BrianEntin/status/1557913507206766593

Ruh roh.

House Republicans were scheduling a press conference to attack the raid on Mar-a-Lago, but cancelled it after the nuclear news came out.

I'm sure they are just regrouping and not actually going to stop defending him, no matter what happens, but still pretty funny.

https://twitter.com/MacFarlaneNews/status/1558051476840251392

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Failed Imagineer posted:

Can you walk me through how 14 would turn into AH?

whoops, my mistake

14 is AD, which when put together with 88 or HH, suggests Adolf Hitler

turnip kid
May 24, 2010

Some more info on how much and what kind of stuff they took. I wonder what was so bad that they made him install a keypad safe to store it in, but allowed him to keep Sensitive Compartmented Information classification files out in the open in a locked storeroom.

https://twitter.com/BrianEntin/status/1557913504388202496
https://twitter.com/BrianEntin/status/1557913507206766593

Ruh roh.

House Republicans were scheduling a press conference to attack the raid on Mar-a-Lago, but cancelled it after the nuclear news came out.

I'm sure they are just regrouping and not actually going to stop defending him, no matter what happens, but still pretty funny.

https://twitter.com/MacFarlaneNews/status/1558051476840251392

I’m pretty sure they had some sort of press conference a few minutes ago, though.

https://twitter.com/acyn/status/1558086536998035458?s=21&t=MsUw6nLfz5FSfAo9jZF99w

They’ll never discover shame.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Everything is crazy.

It is going to be torture waiting for weeks to get all the information on this, but these are real unironic sentences from NYT reporters:

Other than complete impotence or extreme loyalty to Trump and wanting to prevent him from getting in trouble, I can't see why the DOJ just kept asking him to give them back and let them sit there for so long.

It doesn't sound like he was trying to sell anything (and there is still no evidence he tried to sell anything), but still inexplicable why he decided to take them.

So that he could sell or trade for them later or otherwise use them for negotiation purposes. That'd be my best guess.

Or it's just something as simple as Trump not wanting to cave to the deep state or be told what to do by complying with a basic request to "uhh, hey, can you maybe give those back please? Technically, you're not supposed to have them. No rush. Thanks."

And Donald just being like "gently caress you, I'm Donald J Trump and still the president because fraud"

cr0y posted:

I really feel like the truth is gonna be so much God drat worse than what we are even speculating. Like trump could be trying to shop the information around, or he was being blackmailed to steal it, like who the gently caress knows, anything is possible at this point.

Shifty Pony posted:

Or this

He honestly believes he's still president and, in his minds, probably really thinks their his and he needs them. Also, here a hoax, there a hoax, everywhere a hoax hoax god drat.

BE funny if the whole thing that finally did Trump in was named "SAP"

Spiffster posted:

He’s a terrible person so he will outlive us all. Case in point Kissinger

Dick Cheney

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011

Main Paineframe posted:

whoops, my mistake

14 is AD, which when put together with 88 or HH, suggests Adolf Hitler

Nah, the 14 in 1488 is a reference to the fourteen words: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fourteen_Words

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

russia russia russia was a hoax

raifield
Feb 21, 2005

Failed Imagineer posted:

We're all hosed if the chuds ever decide to use lasguns on the Pentagon shield generator

Recent advances have rendered the Pentagon shield strategy obsolete anyway. The Egyptians have an Octagon online now. Where is Biden in pushing for an upgrade to Decagon?

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

raifield posted:

Recent advances have rendered the Pentagon shield strategy obsolete anyway. The Egyptians have an Octagon online now. Where is Biden in pushing for an upgrade to Decagon?

We cannot allow a Polygon Gap!

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Failed Imagineer posted:

We will create a building that you can not begin to comprehend and a new Hellraiser movie is born.

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

raifield posted:

What's the tesseract equivalent for pentagons? I bet the Pentagon is secretly one of those.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Failed Imagineer posted:

In response the DoD announces a D-20 shaped building in order to gain the Initiative

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Well who among us has NOT wanted to kill John Bolton at least once? I mean sure he's no Ted Cruz, but still. Its John Bolton. We get it. Just uh... don't do that again ok?

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

just in case anyone was concerned that the hits would stop coming

quote:

BREAKING: Trump Org. CFO Ordered To Face Charges At Oct. Trial
A New York state judge on Friday largely rejected an attempt by the Trump Organization and its longtime finance chief Allen Weisselberg to escape tax fraud charges levied by the Manhattan district attorney's office, setting a trial date for October 24.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Mooseontheloose posted:

We will create a building that you can not begin to comprehend and a new Hellraiser movie is born.

Eh, the way the GOP has been heading for... the last several decades, it wouldn't surprise me if Gaetz or MTG become president and construct/make manifest Leviathan in the real world.

theCalamity
Oct 23, 2010

Cry Havoc and let slip the Hogs of War
https://twitter.com/dianeyentel/status/1557755068627181568?s=21&t=SsEYsvxmiAnBOTwJNjM9Vw

This country is hosed. Does the IRA do anything to help the people who have been evicted?

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

theCalamity posted:

This country is hosed. Does the IRA do anything to help the people who have been evicted?

Nope. It's all climate change, healthcare, and tax increases.

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON
Maybe he was just trying to learn more about Nuclear.

https://twitter.com/MrKamp/status/1558067479615864834?s=20&t=S06_56G3SqklbfpjWa_O1g

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Someone just rushed a stage where Salman Rushdie was speaking and stabbed him. He was stabbed 2-3 times, collapsed, and the assailant ran off.

It just happened, but he does not appear to be dead.

quote:

Author Salman Rushie was stabbed on stage as he attended an event in upstate New York on Thursday morning, according to witness’ photos and videos from the scene.

Rushdie was at the Chautauqua Institution, a nonprofit education center and summer resort, located near Buffalo in western New York.

Rushdi’s work, particularly his 1988 novel The Satantic Verses, has attracted fierce protests, death threats, and even a fatwa for his assassination by the former religious leader of Iran.

Erin Rowley, who tweeted that her father and brother-in-law were at the event and witnessed the attack, told The Daily Beast via text, “My father said the assailant was a male dressed in dark clothes and had a dark head covering on. He stabbed him he believes three times, but at least twice.”

https://www.thedailybeast.com/salman-rushdie-stabbed-on-stage-during-event-at-chautauqua-institution-in-new-york