Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Someone just rushed a stage where Salman Rushdie was speaking and stabbed him. He was stabbed 2-3 times, collapsed, and the assailant ran off.

It just happened, but he does not appear to be dead.

https://www.thedailybeast.com/salman-rushdie-stabbed-on-stage-during-event-at-chautauqua-institution-in-new-york

Being stabbed multiple times at 75 is pretty bad either way

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON
You can follow the clinical negotiating of the Narcissist in real time by Trump's Truth Social 'press releases' and campaign funding emails.

https://twitter.com/justinbaragona/status/1558114663866695685?s=20&t=S06_56G3SqklbfpjWa_O1g

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

skylined! posted:

You can follow the clinical negotiating of the Narcissist in real time by Trump's Truth Social 'press releases' and campaign funding emails.

https://twitter.com/justinbaragona/status/1558114663866695685?s=20&t=S06_56G3SqklbfpjWa_O1g

i may be overestimating the intelligence of the average news pundit but somehow i don't think this is going to distract from asking every republican why, exactly, trump had these nuclear secrets at mar-a-lago\

also he could not be confirming how bad the warrant is going to look more if he tried

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.
Wasn't Obama's team so afraid of violating the FRA that they wouldn't delete tweets with Typos in them?

But yeah he has millions of classified documents hidden away somewhere.

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

evilweasel posted:

i may be overestimating the intelligence of the average news pundit but somehow i don't think this is going to distract from asking every republican why, exactly, trump had these nuclear secrets at mar-a-lago\

also he could not be confirming how bad the warrant is going to look more if he tried

What I am hearing so far is "well he worked from Mar a Lago so DUH he would have that stuff there 🙄"

These people literally think that the president just walks around with all the nations secrets in his briefcase. Like I would assume that getting access to this information even if you had the proper clearance is an extremely formal process requiring paperwork and poo poo. Like there isn't just some filing cabinet that he can walk up to and poke around in.

But yeah that tweet or whatever they are called on truth social basically confirms that whatever this poo poo is it's the absolute worst possible thing you can imagine.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

evilweasel posted:

Thinking a last second protest to having it released today?

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Someone just rushed a stage where Salman Rushdie was speaking and stabbed him. He was stabbed 2-3 times, collapsed, and the assailant ran off.

It just happened, but he does not appear to be dead.

https://www.thedailybeast.com/salman-rushdie-stabbed-on-stage-during-event-at-chautauqua-institution-in-new-york

Goddamnit :smith:

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

PT6A posted:

Goddamnit :smith:

Security tackled the guy who did it and police have him in custody.

Still no word on Rushdie's condition, but he was apparently conscious and speaking after being stabbed.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

FizFashizzle posted:

Thinking a last second protest to having it released today?

there's just no way to get away with it, garland put him in a no-win situation as long as the warrant is real bad news, and his tweets are just confirming its bad news. he tries to seal it now, the next two weeks are wild speculation about just how bad it is

plus having already fake-tweeted he approves of the unsealing, so the government can haul his lawyers into court to explain how they're disagreeing with their client

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Security tackled the guy who did it and police have him in custody.

Still no word on Rushdie's condition, but he was apparently conscious and speaking after being stabbed.

Glad to hear that, at least. Still, what a lovely thing to have happen.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

skylined! posted:

Donald Trump is so dumb I'm not even sure if this is meant as genuine confusion or an attempt at deflection. I'm leaning towards deflection, but it's entirely possible that he is honestly confused about the difference between Obama (and Bush, and Clinton, and...) and what he did.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Randalor posted:

Donald Trump is so dumb I'm not even sure if this is meant as genuine confusion or an attempt at deflection. I'm leaning towards deflection, but it's entirely possible that he is honestly confused about the difference between Obama (and Bush, and Clinton, and...) and what he did.

he has a (reasonable) expectation that at a minimum the right wing news sphere will repeat the false equivalence and a hope (unlikely but not as unlikely as it should) that will bleed into real news

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Randalor posted:

Do we even allow these other libraries to have nuclear weapon secrets under any circumstances? I'd think they would be stored in some extremely protected central location in DC. They may have some confidential and secret documents available only to researchers who are approved to look at it, but this is a whole different level.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Rigel posted:

Do we even allow these other libraries to have nuclear weapon secrets under any circumstances? I'd think they would be stored in some extremely protected central location in DC. They may have some confidential and secret documents available only to researchers who are approved to look at it, but this is a whole different level.

no, the government screens all of the documents before they're released to presidential libraries

also, other presidents have been granted security clearances as a courtesy from the next president, which trump notably has not been for a large variety of exceptionally good reasons

gregday
May 23, 2003

https://twitter.com/kenklippenstein/status/1558124632020074498

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

I know the system probably evolved over time and its not the important thing, but i feel the people who designed the designation "above top secret" need a quick refresh on what above and top mean

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

note this is newsweek, which has little to no credibility and has already breathlessly reported stuff that has been directly contradicted on this case, so take with a grain of salt

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Newsweek aside, if just the Washington post reporting ends up being all true, then they have Trump on espionage. Maybe not at the more serious death penalty level, but at least the 10 year prison sentence type of espionage. The only (4) questions are whether they will prosecute, get a conviction, sentence him, and if all of that holds up on appeal.

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

JUST FUCKING TAKE OFF ALREADY, SHIT
Just silently LOL’in to myself that Trump is pulling a Manchurian Candidate and thinks he’s clear.

selec
Sep 6, 2003

I think they thread the needle and shoot him with the CIA heart attack gun and call it a day, I don’t see the ruling class ever accepting a member going to jail or facing serious legal sanction, sets a bad precedent.

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

selec posted:

I think they thread the needle and shoot him with the CIA heart attack gun and call it a day, I don’t see the ruling class ever accepting a member going to jail or facing serious legal sanction, sets a bad precedent.

Mike Pence will be forced to kill him in hand to hand combat in the rose garden, earning the title of Bigliest Boss

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014
Just when you think Trump and the republicans can't get any worse, they do.

If its true that Trump had nuclear secrets at Mar-a-largo, I can think of two reasons why he would

a) He's selling them to foreign countries.
b) he's showing them to 'special' guests to make them wowed by how awesome of a guy he is, he has access to all the best stuff. The best!

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Ringo Star Get posted:

Just silently LOL’in to myself that Trump is pulling a Manchurian Candidate and thinks he’s clear.

I do want to get my hopes up that the fat bastard rallying his MAGA fucks to start attacking the FBI could finally be the thing that makes his anti-reality field collapse into a final, single state of consequences.

Hope is the first step on the road to disappointment.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

evilweasel posted:

also, other presidents have been granted security clearances as a courtesy from the next president, which trump notably has not been for a large variety of exceptionally good reasons

I assume Obama had to wait 4 years

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
When do we find out whether Trump formally objects to the unsealing, and if he doesn't, when does the warrant get unsealed? Is the deadline for Trump 24 hours after the Garland press conference (so just a few hours away)?

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

Mostly I think about that Chinese spy who got caught at Maralago, and how many haven't been caught.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Lib and let die posted:

Mike Pence will be forced to kill him in hand to hand combat in the rose garden, earning the title of Bigliest Boss

Ocelot was an idiot failson, so this checks out. The only question is which of Don's kids were pulled out of his body to be that idiot failson?

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Rinkles posted:

When do we find out whether Trump formally objects to the unsealing, and if he doesn't, when does the warrant get unsealed? Is the deadline for Trump 24 hours after the Garland press conference (so just a few hours away)?

The judge set the deadline to object at 3pm ET today. I'm presuming the judge is hoping to open it all up before knocking off for the weekend.

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Randalor posted:

Ocelot was an idiot failson, so this checks out. The only question is which of Don's kids were pulled out of his body to be that idiot failson?

Ivanka.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

I don't know about how she felt about Mike Pence, but she did marry Kushner, who is probably the closest you can get to a younger Pence, so this checks out.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014
I'm sure DeSantos has a giant boner right now that he's hoping no one notices.

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

Cimber posted:

Just when you think Trump and the republicans can't get any worse, they do.

If its true that Trump had nuclear secrets at Mar-a-largo, I can think of two reasons why he would

a) He's selling them to foreign countries.
b) he's showing them to 'special' guests to make them wowed by how awesome of a guy he is, he has access to all the best stuff. The best!

He had to keep them out of the nefarious hands of Dark Brandon, you see.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.
A few hours late, but I was probed and I want to be clear I wasn't calling people nazis.

Civilized Fishbot posted:

You're saying people here on this forum "agree with" Nazi dog whistles?

Any random set of numbers can be manipulated into the Nazi numbers or 666 or whatever you want to find with sufficient creativity, it either drives you crazy or makes you look crazy and either way it's totally unproductive to combatting fascism and reactionary politics

No.

What I'm saying is that dogwhistles are intentionally questionable and plausible which is why white supremacists use them. Similar to how 4chan tried to identify the OK hand signal as a 'joke' white supremacist dogwhistle but then it got adopted by white supremacists. The way I have to be wary of anyone who's real into viking poo poo when I first meet them until I figure out if they're a white supremacist or not.

The same way somebody in the PYF meme thread a couple of hours ago posted a bunch of dog memes about dogs being domesticated including one where the dog says "we wuz wolves" which is a take on a specific racist phrase "we wuz kings".

People decide that the dog whistles they are aware of are the real ones, and the ones that other people get triggered by aren't valid and "jumping at shadows". It's perfectly valid to look sideways at a post with an obscure "88" reference, even if it turns out to be nothing. People in marginalized groups don't need to justify their wariness around hidden and obscure signaling because thats literally what white supremacists do. The idea that white supremacists reveal themselves quickly and easily is founded in privilege and white people's views on racism and how it must always be obvious to be real.

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

Jaxyon posted:

A few hours late, but I was probed and I want to be clear I wasn't calling people nazis.

How very interesting that this sentence has precisely 88 characters.

Jaxyon posted:

People decide that the dog whistles they are aware of are the real ones, and the ones that other people get triggered by aren't valid and "jumping at shadows". It's perfectly valid to look sideways at a post with an obscure "88" reference, even if it turns out to be nothing.

It is necessary for me to respond with more than just a pithy shitpost, but I thank you for accidentally providing such a phenomenal example. Nobody has an issue understanding the concept that white supremacists use plausibly deniable dogwhistles. A problem arises when anyone else starts whipping out nonsense numerology that allows you to turn anything into a dogwhistle provided you assume infinite levels of bad faith, and that's precisely what launched this whole conversation; and as was pointed out before, chuds turned this into an entire game to make fun of people willing to go conspiratorial.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.
Some details on how much of what type of documents were recovered

https://twitter.com/rebeccaballhaus/status/1558141294702170117

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
I can't believe there were actually real classified documents there. Part of me had already accepted that it was just Democrats stepping on rakes. A scenario where the DoJ was like "we know there's nothing there anymore but we still need to search the premises to comply with due process, even if it's politically destructive".

To be clear, I'm not at all surprised Trump took classified materials, just that he was so lazy about hiding the evidence despite so much advance notice that they were coming for him.

Zoph
Sep 12, 2005

*Four* sets marked top secret, holy gently caress.

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

I don't have a wsj sub, did they get access to the warrant or are relying on someone's source?

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

Some details on how much of what type of documents were recovered

https://twitter.com/rebeccaballhaus/status/1558141294702170117

this is sourced directly to the FBI inventory, so (a) leaked by the trump team in advance; and (b) probably accurate

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

dpkg chopra posted:

just that he was so lazy

This is the absolute least surprising thing about any of this. This is the same lazy sack of poo poo that had a golf cart to walk like 100 feet with all the EU leaders.