Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

MacheteZombie posted:

Had a nightmare about Jean Jacket last night

Was he being silly

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

MacheteZombie posted:

Had a nightmare about Jean Jacket last night

This has been recurring for me, yeah.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

How you all feel about Nope is how I felt about Rampage. :(

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

CelticPredator posted:

How you all feel about Nope is how I felt about Rampage. :(

The video game movie with The Rock?

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Yeah. It has a gross af vore scene and it creeped me out. It showed way less then Nope did but I couldn’t stop thinking about it.

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

CelticPredator posted:

Yeah. It has a gross af vore scene and it creeped me out. It showed way less then Nope did but I couldn’t stop thinking about it.

Crazy, I would never have guessed! Is it worth watching? (With the knowledge that I frequently post in the horror thread with you and so I am willing to subject myself to some real fuckin nonsense)

Also, never watch Attack on Titan if you dislike graphic scenes of being chewed up by a giant creature and realizing you are horribly still alive as its digestive tract mashes you, broken and shredded, down into a lake of stomach acid

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
E: nm

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

SlimGoodbody posted:

Crazy, I would never have guessed! Is it worth watching? (With the knowledge that I frequently post in the horror thread with you and so I am willing to subject myself to some real fuckin nonsense)

Also, never watch Attack on Titan if you dislike graphic scenes of being chewed up by a giant creature and realizing you are horribly still alive as its digestive tract mashes you, broken and shredded, down into a lake of stomach acid

Oh yeah no attack on titan is a no go for me.

Oddly enough Nope didn’t quite hit that same reaction. It kinda did and I was skeeved. But not as much as I’ve been from say stuff like that and The Final Prayer idk how to not spoiler that movie bc the whole movie is a FF movie that leads up to that lmao. If you know you know

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Its kinda funny that people are talking about vore scenes in movies, because I had just watched Jaws 3D and there's a scene where the British nobleman adventurer gets swallowed whole and there's a shot from inside the shark's mouth and he's masticated until he becomes a red cloud. Then later on, in the film's climax, Dennis Quaid sees the guy's lifeless torso inside the shark's mouth with a grenade clutched in hand to setup the callback to the first film.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

The true movie that hosed me up as a kid with that poo poo was goddamn shrek. So lord Farquad gets swallowed by the dragon and the movie ends.

But the home video dance party had a scene where he was very much alive still inside the dragon singing “staying alive” and idk man that was pretty gnarly to
me as a kid.

deety
Aug 2, 2004

zombies + sharks = fun

The part of this that was the most chilling to me in Nope wasn't the shots of the victims inside JJ, it was the fact that you could track it by the sounds of screaming.

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
drat. I need to see this again.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

deety posted:

The part of this that was the most chilling to me in Nope wasn't the shots of the victims inside JJ, it was the fact that you could track it by the sounds of screaming.

Up until it exerts itself and the screaming stops.

TheBizzness posted:

drat. I need to see this again.

I really want to see this with a friend, but I have some sensitive friends and feel like I have to caution them without spoiling things.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

SlimGoodbody posted:

Rampage is very much a big dumb Rock action movie but it's fun enough

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

deety posted:

Compare how loud the TMZ guy's screams are when he endos his bike, to how much louder they are coming from inside Jean Jacket

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
I love the idea of JJ amplifying the screams to get other creatures to look at it.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Just feeling bad for the woman who got her chin ripped off by a chimp and then later got devoured by an alien. Something about her wearing a shirt with a picture of herself as a teen made it all the worse :,(

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

CelticPredator posted:

Oddly enough Nope didn’t quite hit that same reaction. It kinda did and I was skeeved. But not as much as I’ve been from say stuff like that and The Final Prayer idk how to not spoiler that movie bc the whole movie is a FF movie that leads up to that lmao. If you know you know
This was my thought too, it's so frustrating not being sure how to even bring up that parallel without spoiling important stuff

Lastdancer
Apr 21, 2008
I finally remembered to look up info on that Jodie Foster song on the soundtrack and came across her talking about the time she was mauled by a lion on set: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kQQrlGjeHIM&t=39s

Layers, this film

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Lastdancer posted:

the time she was mauled by a lion on set:

In a film written by the man who would go on to write and direct such classics as Mac and Me and Tammy and the T-rex.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
This movie absolutely goes all-in on its themes and symbology to a ridiculous degree.

I do wonder how much they might have been inspired by seeing one of those weird looking cameras and realising it looked like eyes.

Astrochicken
Aug 13, 2007

So you better go back to your bars, your temples
Your massage parlors!

CelticPredator posted:

Oh yeah no attack on titan is a no go for me.

Is that movie worth watching? Aside from the finale seems like there might not be a lot to it.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Oddly enough I’ve only seen the ending :v:

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Astrochicken posted:

Is that movie worth watching? Aside from the finale seems like there might not be a lot to it.

I enjoyed it but I'm a total sucker for found footage

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Saw the movie, it wasssssss alright? Felt like the high concept and emphasis on putting in thematic materials took away from the movie as a story. It’s fine as one of those films you watch over and over and dissect but for a Saturday matinee I was left nonplussed. I’m sure it’s good, but eh.

Also I don’t know what was wrong with the mixing or the acoustics of the theater or what but I had a hard time understanding what anyone in the movie was saying. Even Angel, the commercial/movie shooting people, and the director guy were often incomprehensible. Did anyone else have trouble with that?

The_Doctor posted:

Before I saw the film, I expected to get a full on horrifying sequence inside the ship à la Fire in the Sky. This was way worse :gonk:

I had no idea what the gently caress was going on. All I could see was people getting stuck in the worst bouncy castle ever. It was more confusing than frightening.

Steve Yun posted:

I have to assume the alien symbolizes the concept of spectacle because it’s literally a giant floating eyeball that consumes

I thought it was a mushroom. Or a hat.

Pollyanna fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Aug 14, 2022

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Maybe the line is different for different people but I thought the story at face value was engaging on its own

Alex Garland’s Men was one where the textual story suffered at the hands of serving the subtext

I had a similar problem with Annihilation

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
I had no problem at all with the dialogue, and I usually use subtitles at home. So that was completely a "your theater" problem.

Also, totally agree that the digestion scene wasn't scary. Almost comical, except for the screams

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

Pollyanna posted:

I had no idea what the gently caress was going on. All I could see was people getting stuck in the worst bouncy castle ever.

The creature ate the people.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
I thought the digestion scene was loving hilarious.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Speleothing posted:

I had no problem at all with the dialogue, and I usually use subtitles at home. So that was completely a "your theater" problem.

Also, totally agree that the digestion scene wasn't scary. Almost comical, except for the screams

It looks funny at first, then you start thinking about the implications and it becomes "oh no." It's the screams continuing on for so long and so loudly that pushes it into scary and makes you think back to what you saw and how screwed up that would actually be.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Bleck posted:

Well obviously, I mean like I bounced off the actual depiction.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I thought I was seeing fire in the sky poo poo until OJ was like “it’s not a ship, he eats…”

I was like oh nooooooo.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Bleck posted:

He was a

one eyed,

one horned,

Flying

Purple

People

Eater

High Warlord Zog
Dec 12, 2012

ruddiger posted:

He was a

one eyed,

one horned,

Flying

Purple

People

Eater

That scene was perfect

Lifepuzzler
Nov 5, 2009
Guy sounded like he smoked a carton a day. What a unique voice. It's honestly kind of weird that someone with that kind of voice only has 66 imdb credits from 1979-present.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

Lifepuzzler posted:

Guy sounded like he smoked a carton a day. What a unique voice. It's honestly kind of weird that someone with that kind of voice only has 66 imdb credits from 1979-present.

Michael Wincott was in a lot of movies in the 90s starting with the Crow. Like he still gets roles and such. Maybe he's just picky.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Oh my God that's Top Dollar!

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

High Warlord Zog posted:

That scene was perfect

I know he's peppered throughout, but it's funny how well that scene sells his character even though it feels so late in the game.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Hollismason posted:

Michael Wincott was in a lot of movies in the 90s starting with the Crow. Like he still gets roles and such. Maybe he's just picky.

Yeah, he's got the same thing that Ethan Hawke, Stephen Dorff, and other actors his age have where there's a line when they're doing a movie for a paycheck and a movie because they genuinely want to be in it because of the director or cast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

I was under the impression that Michael Wincott was the one who was handling the gun when Brandon Lee was shot on the set of the Crow, which made me wonder if Peele brought him on as a specific reference to safety on a film set, but it was Michael Massee who was the unfortunate person involved in the Brandon Lee tragedy.