Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

"Kiryu has never killed a man" I say as I watch him shoot a helicopter out of the sky with a handgun

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

David D. Davidson posted:

That's more of a gameplay and story segregation thing. If it were otherwise by the third game there'd be posters all over Kamurocho with Kiryu's on them cautoning people not to challenge him to a fight.

One of the games suggests that newer gang members are specifically directed at him as a form of hazing

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!

Bad Seafood posted:

You gotta wonder though, after the first 99 guys got cut down, what was the last guy thinking?
"Maybe his sword will shatter", but more likely "If I even blink he'll see me and I'll lose all bowel control".

https://youtu.be/ecimuK20dSA?t=425s

Mirello
Jan 29, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
new chapter owns. first new one that really felt like berserk. heartbreaking ending. really loved it.

LordMune
Nov 21, 2006

Helim needed to be invisible.
It's really great, I think it puts several concerns people have with the continuation to rest.

Evil Genius release dropping in eight hours, because not breaking street date in Japan has become entrenched practice for our group by now.

Chewbaccanator
Apr 7, 2010

LordMune posted:

It's really great, I think it puts several concerns people have with the continuation to rest.

Evil Genius release dropping in eight hours, because not breaking street date in Japan has become entrenched practice for our group by now.

Doing the Lord's work (heh), genuinely appreciate your presence here in the thread, Mune.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Chewbaccanator posted:

Doing the Lord's work (heh), genuinely appreciate your presence here in the thread, Mune.

LordMune
Nov 21, 2006

Helim needed to be invisible.
look, all that flattery is going to get you is the #368 release ok

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Mirello posted:

new chapter owns. first new one that really felt like berserk. heartbreaking ending. really loved it.

Yeah this is going to spawn a discussion. Didn't expect that; wtf.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
Not sure how I feel about this development.

On the one hand, Casca getting kidnapped immediately after getting cured feels kinda weak; I wanted to see more of Casca finding her footing, being a character again.

On the other, Griffith taking her away is actually kind of surprising. I understand the child's love for his mother, but Griffith's interest in Casca has always been shallow and self-serving (even when they were on good terms), and ultimately spiteful. Griffith was "Done" with Guts and Casca both, and neglected to deal with either of them on several occasions before now. I can only imagine Casca poses some threat to him if left unattended, or this was a long-con to find Elfhelm and destroy it (like he did Flora's tree).

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Bad Seafood posted:

Not sure how I feel about this development.

On the one hand, Casca getting kidnapped immediately after getting cured feels kinda weak; I wanted to see more of Casca finding her footing, being a character again.

On the other, Griffith taking her away is actually kind of surprising. I understand the child's love for his mother, but Griffith's interest in Casca has always been shallow and self-serving (even when they were on good terms), and ultimately spiteful. Griffith was "Done" with Guts and Casca both, and neglected to deal with either of them on several occasions before now. I can only imagine Casca poses some threat to him if left unattended, or this was a long-con to find Elfhelm and destroy it (like he did Flora's tree).

It might be more awful and pragmatic than that on his part

The Child and Griffith are two separate beings who inhabit the same body. The child will not allow harm to come to Casca. The Child, when given full control over Griffith beneath the full moon, always goes to Casca. Griffith probably knows he can't be vanishing for days at a time without good reason, so he's going to solve the issue the only way he can- bring Casca somewhere close so the child won't wander the gently caress off. This could also be great for CASCA, having to confront her issues on her own and allow her to find her own way back

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Burkion posted:

It might be more awful and pragmatic than that on his part

The Child and Griffith are two separate beings who inhabit the same body. The child will not allow harm to come to Casca. The Child, when given full control over Griffith beneath the full moon, always goes to Casca. Griffith probably knows he can't be vanishing for days at a time without good reason, so he's going to solve the issue the only way he can- bring Casca somewhere close so the child won't wander the gently caress off. This could also be great for CASCA, having to confront her issues on her own and allow her to find her own way back
Yeah, that's more or less what I figured, regarding Casca being a liability. The child always goes to her, and the child is vulnerable in a way he isn't, so gotta nip it in the bud.

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!

LordMune posted:

Always amazing work from EG!

Could these be Miura pages? IE, nothing requires an artist to go in linear order and maybe he had this part figured out before the transition in the last chapter.

That look on Guts face is a perfect reprise of the end of Black Swordsman when the Count's daughter tells him to fuckoff :(

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Oh man, the look on Guts's face :smith:

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse

PhantomOfTheCopier posted:

Always amazing work from EG!

That look on Guts face is a perfect reprise of the end of Black Swordsman when the Count's daughter tells him to fuckoff :(

gently caress you Griffith :mad:

Scoss
Aug 17, 2015
Do we know whether we are seeing totally original art at this point, or if the team is still working off of preliminary storyboards/sketches that Miura left behind unfinished?

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

As far as we know, they’re mostly working off of conversations remembered through Mori and Miura’s relationship. I’m sure it’s all written down now but it’s unlikely they’re working off of anything Miura drew at this point.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
To clarify, unless they were lying, the chapter from last year that they attributed to Miura was the last chapter he worked on at all. And even that was missing a lot of detail.

This is all them.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

LordMune posted:

look, all that flattery is going to get you is the #368 release ok

this series is so depressing

Hilario Baldness
Feb 10, 2005

:buddy:

Grimey Drawer

PhantomOfTheCopier posted:

Nothing will ever beat that look for me, except for maybe the look on his face when he was running through the woods after the Eclipse think of all of his friends who he'd lost. That one comes close.

There's just something so depressing about him recognizing how lovely the world is and giving that girl a reason to not commit suicide - by telling her when she heals up if she still feels salty she should take a run at him. Knowing that he wiped his wound of revenge on someone else and infecting them with the same pain he has and that it tears him up inside just eats at me for some reason. Up to that point it was just like, "This dude is an emotionless loving prick," and then became, "This dude is running away from serious pain."

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Watch this, Lise. You can pinpoint the exact moment his heart breaks

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Guts just can't catch a break, gently caress... :smith:

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

:smith:

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!
As to Griffith's actions, he probably just wants to get Casca out of there because he doesn't want her harmed, but this goes back to their first fair fight on the hill. Guts said he'd be Griffith's bum boy, and darnitall "you're part of my dream and I'm going to punish you until you learn, and I feel like I get my revenge". This is the end of the eclipse repeated, Griffith steals Casca because he didn't agree to give her up to Guts as part of "the plan". Guts realizes Casca is lost in the cave and becomes the black swordsman. Now Griffith is lording it over him again, "look at me up on my pedestal, I took your woman, have fun stupid Dream". (And SK is around saving people from the chompy evil)

What does Guts become now? (And what triggers that Behelit? :allears:)

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Bad Seafood posted:

Reminds me of playing Yakuza with a buddy. Kiryu clears out a whole building, steps outside, and immediately gets accosted by three dudes in hoodies.

My friend turns to me and says, "I literally just fought my way through several floors of mafia goons, challenged their leader to a shirtless fistfight on the roof, and won, but no, THESE GUYS, RIGHT HERE, are gonna END THE MADNESS."

Or like you'll walk through town being assaulted by random goons and then 20 feet later another goon will think "that dude looks like an easy mark, wonder why there's a mountain of bodies behind him and blood on his knuckles"

Mirello
Jan 29, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
I agree that stealing her is to nip his weakness in the bud.

in terms of predictions, this might be pretty out there, but I think guts will have to ride the magic highway to the capital. assuming that they dont want it to go on another 10 years, another boat ride would just be too much. Even with the expedited schedule, it would still take too long. I think schierke and farnese will help and he'll go right after casca. It'll also show how he's grown vs. the helplessness during/right after eclipse.

I do think the art isn't as good as miura, but it's pretty good. the guy getting melted was gnarly. I dunno if I can handle berserk getting "dark" again. I really hope for a happy ending.

If they show elfhelm falling, and a realistic (non magic) way of getting to the capital, it'll take foreverrrrr. They were pretty clear about wanting it to finish and not adding extrenous details, so that's what I think.

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!

Mirello posted:

. I dunno if I can handle berserk getting "dark" again. I really hope for a happy ending.
:ohdear: Eee I don't know dude.

It's fairly clear that Miura wove a good deal about fate into this story, but it really hit me writing up my thoughts earlier: For some reason this chapter feels very much like a philosophical picture of "fate versus free will". Griffith, the Godhand, Apostles, IOT, are all predicated on fate; it's what they see, understand, and believe. Guts (and maybe his band, and maybe witches and elves) represent the struggle against unfair and highly oppressive fate.

Now I'm a dumb American and can't understand a story without a happy ending (happy for whom?), but this could have an "Evangelion ending". Or maybe the Godhand gets wiped, 75% gets culled on both sides, but there will still be that one darned thread letting us know that this process repeats again in 216 years. (Casca sacrifices them both and becomes the first new godfinger) (insert Bond music).

Here's something to ponder: Who survives a happy ending? Guts can't be part of "the new cleansed world", and probably neither can Casca. Sigh... maybe I want a world where Griffith fails to protect Casca (oh crap no please don't tell me she's jumping from the cliff again but this time Guts is too far away to save her), so Guts destroys Griffith and the Godhand, but then the evil is unleashed into the world without it's leader/savior, so Guts is doomed to roam endlessly, forever battling the demons of mankind.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Honestly, I don't think defeating the Godhand, as a whole, was ever on the table. Guts versus Griffith will get resolved, and that'll be that; the rest is just context. At best, Skullknight might take out Void (who seems to be the member of the Godhand he has the most beef with), but otherwise I'm not expecting much.

My feeling for awhile has been Guts will defeat Griffith, but it'll cost him everything. Not only is he running himself ragged, he now knows Griffith and the Moonlit Child share the same body, and I'd be willing to bet defeating Griffith will involve killing the child, his own son (flashbacks to Gambino); and by that I mean he'll have to look the kid in the eyes when he does it, not just "Oops I killed Griffith and now my son is also dead."

The world will be saved (well, temporarily; one can't imagine Berserk's world staying safe for too long), but it was never about the world. It was always about Guts and Griffith. Wish I could include Casca in there but, well...

Mirello
Jan 29, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Bad Seafood posted:

Honestly, I don't think defeating the Godhand, as a whole, was ever on the table. Guts versus Griffith will get resolved, and that'll be that; the rest is just context. At best, Skullknight might take out Void (who seems to be the member of the Godhand he has the most beef with), but otherwise I'm not expecting much.

My feeling for awhile has been Guts will defeat Griffith, but it'll cost him everything. Not only is he running himself ragged, he now knows Griffith and the Moonlit Child share the same body, and I'd be willing to bet defeating Griffith will involve killing the child, his own son (flashbacks to Gambino); and by that I mean he'll have to look the kid in the eyes when he does it, not just "Oops I killed Griffith and now my son is also dead."

The world will be saved (well, temporarily; one can't imagine Berserk's world staying safe for too long), but it was never about the world. It was always about Guts and Griffith. Wish I could include Casca in there but, well...

this might be too optomistic, but I'd like it if it ended with guts sacrificing himself to somehow save his kid and casca. a life for a life. the opposite of what griffith did. it might be seen as a cop out (although it would still be the death of my favorite character in fiction) but I think that's ok.

It'd be kind of cool if there was a bait and switch with guts activating the behelit but using it for a non evil reason.

then again, I know most people would be extremely pissed off because it would be kind of out of left field but I still think it would be a good way to wrap up the story. I don't think defeating the god hand is on the table, but griffith definately is. he's uniquely vulnerable.

tl;dr: https://twitter.com/jojo_wiki/status/1415435821738496002

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Using the Behelit always struck me as Guts' bad end (that's basically who Zod is) and would work against the theme of human perseverance against overwhelming odds he's represented up until this point. Also wouldn't it necessitate his new band of the hawk getting eaten in any case?

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

I've felt for awhile now the endgame is Guts activating the Behelit, but then refusing to submit to the Godhand.

My pet theory for years, rejuvenated (surprisingly) by the recent Skullknight flashback, was that Guts was being groomed to join the Godhand - that Griffith was just a temporary member, a bench warmer as it were - and when he hit his lowest point, Void would offer him a pact. This would naturally come as a huge surprise to Griffith, who (in my mind) would be kept in the dark about it, a poetic zinger to his ambitions: everything he did, everything he sacrificed, he (unknowningly) did for someone else's sake (just like Ganishka). My thinking was, previously, Skullknight (i.e. Emperor Gaiseric) had also been a member of the Godhand, but had gotten replaced by Void (with their relationship being similar to Griffith and Guts', save for Void being a sage instead of a soldier).

Then Guts tells Void to piss off and strikes Griffith in the confusion. This was before Miura confirmed Griffith and the Moonlit Child were one and the same, so obviously, I need to make some adjustments.

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy
This new development is worrying, but there was always going to be some horrible event that spurred them into action away from Elfheim.

I still reject any ending that has Guts or Casca dying. This is a story about Fate, but this is just as much if not more a story about trauma. What are we saying if there's no place for Guts and Casca in a world after this struggle? They've been victims of trauma their whole lives, even before the Eclipse. This isn't like Frodo in LotR. A place to go home to was never a thing for them before their journeys started. They need to create that place themselves.

No, I think the world after this conflict is over is especially for them. Their trauma won't be gone entirely, but they'll be better situated to deal with it.

What happens now is that we see how Guts' new support network that he's built up over the past however many chapters comes together to help him deal with this resurfaced trauma.

Or at least that's what I hope.

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

Viridiant posted:

I still reject any ending that has Guts or Casca dying. This is a story about Fate, but this is just as much if not more a story about trauma. What are we saying if there's no place for Guts and Casca in a world after this struggle? They've been victims of trauma their whole lives, even before the Eclipse. This isn't like Frodo in LotR. A place to go home to was never a thing for them before their journeys started. They need to create that place themselves.
Not sure how to break it to you but this isn't a manga with happy endings.

I think the best we can hope for is a bittersweet ending, something along the line of accepting things as they are and doing your best with what you have.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

One day we'll look back and say 'it may have taken 40 years to complete and the original author didn't live to see the end, but when it was all said and done Guts sure did kill the hell out of Griffith'

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Berserk is a tragedy at its core, but I think the growth of Guts' character is to not end up like Skullknight (cursed to roam forever only driven by vengeance) and Griffith (sacrificed everything including his humanity for power and glory). Guts represents the human struggle and by extension, hope, to keep pressing through what life/fate has to throw at us.

For him to succumb to the armor or to use the behelit would be a disservice to him. I think 2022 Guts would rather die on his feet than give in to that darkness. He may be tempted by how things get, but his new friends/growth will pull him back from the edge.

Where the manga has gone in recent years is a place where swinging a giant sword isn't the answer anymore. That's my take on it at least.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Harlock posted:

Berserk is a tragedy at its core, but I think the growth of Guts' character is to not end up like Skullknight (cursed to roam forever only driven by vengeance) and Griffith (sacrificed everything including his humanity for power and glory). Guts represents the human struggle and by extension, hope, to keep pressing through what life/fate has to throw at us.

For him to succumb to the armor or to use the behelit would be a disservice to him. I think 2022 Guts would rather die on his feet than give in to that darkness. He may be tempted by how things get, but his new friends/growth will pull him back from the edge.

Where the manga has gone in recent years is a place where swinging a giant sword isn't the answer anymore. That's my take on it at least.

That's kind of how I see it, Skull Knight and Zod are both mirrors to Guts who failed in some way along the way and his task os not to fail like they did. I think you're writing off the sword too quickly though, that is his only means of closing the gap and striking a god and has been the visual representation of his superhuman resolve since the story began, I don't think it's going away any time soon

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
"I'm human, down to the marrow in my bones. Don't lump me in with you loving monsters."

DeadBonesBrook
May 31, 2011

How do you do, fellow Regis?

No Dignity posted:

One day we'll look back and say 'it may have taken 40 years to complete and the original author didn't live to see the end, but when it was all said and done Guts sure did kill the hell out of Griffith'

"When all is said and done, I really did go Berserk" - Guts in the final panel of the manga.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
I guess in the end, man does have control -- if only over his own will!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy

Bisse posted:

Not sure how to break it to you but this isn't a manga with happy endings.

That's actually exactly why I think the very end will be (mostly) happy.