Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

A MIRACLE posted:

I only made it one season into mad men, Elizabeth whatzerface skeeves me out too much. Ill give it another shot tho

Lolwut?

Compound take here that I can only feel bad for you about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
PIZZA HOUSE

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

BaldDwarfOnPCP posted:

Lolwut?

Compound take here that I can only feel bad for you about.

she skeeves me out too, but mostly because of the whole scientology thing. she's a terrific actress regardless and Mad Men is easily her best work

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

God Hole posted:

she skeeves me out too, but mostly because of the whole scientology thing. she's a terrific actress regardless and Mad Men is easily her best work

I did not know that. Lame.

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE

Jose Oquendo posted:

Sopranos is peak 'prestige drama'

Everything after that has always just been an attempt to recapture that lightning in a bottle.

Breaking bad kicked the poo poo out of the sopranos

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist
This Fool on Hulu is not a replacement for Joe Pera Talks With You, but it has a lot of Joe Pera energy (if Joe Pera were a Chicano living in LA and working in a gang rehab center run by Michael Imperioli).

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

I only got to see half of Day Shift so far but it was nailing it as a solid buddy cop comedy. Hit all the classic tropes but still felt fresh. Dave Franco plays the nerdy bureaucrat paper pusher foil to Jamie foxxs just tryna make it single father slash vampire hunter slash pool boy. Gonna finish it later when I’m back

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Field Mousepad posted:

Breaking bad kicked the poo poo out of the sopranos

Breaking Bad doesn't hold up and will be forgotten like Sea Hunt

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Breaking Bad is better than the Sopranos don’t @ me

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

If you want a real hot take: Apple TV+ is the HBO of the 2020's

And it's cheap

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

Can confirm have zero desire to relive the breaking bad saga.

Better call Saul is the poo poo tho holy poo poo

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

If you want a real hot take: Apple TV+ is the HBO of the 2020's

And it's cheap

Only by aesthetic. Prime original series beat Apple TV+ on average by a lot

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

Wolfsheim posted:

Its possible it got good again in S3 but I didnt stick around to find out, there is exactly one good episode in S2 and it featured almost none of the characters the show was was about (the Native American episode)

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

A MIRACLE posted:

Only by aesthetic. Prime original series beat Apple TV+ on average by a lot

That's not true at all, at least the new stuff.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

A MIRACLE posted:

Can confirm have zero desire to relive the breaking bad saga.

Better call Saul is the poo poo tho holy poo poo

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

rewatching both breaking bad and sopranos at once and they are unmatched by anything I've seen recently.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
I had to take a break halfway through rewatch of the last season because Walt was too much of an rear end in a top hat. Someday I will get back to it.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Walt was always an rear end in a top hat. The story is not about how he changes from a mild mannered teacher to a ruthless drug dealer, it's how the whole world of Albuquerque stops coddling a middle aged middle class white man who's an rear end in a top hat, and how he experiences actual consequences for the first time in his life

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Is Amazon bubble-proof? There doesn’t seem to be any bad news around them and they seem to make all their monkey off web services and selling user data

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Steve Yun posted:

Is Amazon bubble-proof? There doesn’t seem to be any bad news around them and they seem to make all their monkey off web services and selling user data

They aren't bubble-proof (just b/c technically nobody is) but they are making wise choices in their investments (AWS and now medical clinics) that diversify their portfolio into very growth-y sectors. So basically they aren't dependent at all on their streaming performance.

That's not something just a Disney or HBO can do. On the negative side, it also just means that it's basically soulless and the content isn't great.

I mean I know *all* capitalistic enterprises are soulless but at least most streaming services thrive or die on the quality of content. Amazon's content is basically an accidental tumor growth. Sometimes benign. Sometimes cancerous. But they're rich enough to take care of it no matter what.

BonoMan fucked around with this message at 06:30 on Aug 13, 2022

Aglet56
Sep 1, 2011
breaking bad is pretty great but it did rely a lot on cliffhangers and mysteries that don't hit as hard on the rewatch. probably the most egregious example is all of the cold opens in season 2, where you see all of the wreckage and debris in walt's driveway. it's heavily implied to be due to some sort of big shootout or blowup due to walt's meth cooking, but it turns out to be wreckage from the airplane crash, which makes it all pointless once you know the reveal

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
Prime Video is, essentially, the DVD aisle at Best Buy circa 2013. You'll find some good stuff, but you have to sift through a lot of crap.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Aglet56 posted:

breaking bad is pretty great but it did rely a lot on cliffhangers and mysteries that don't hit as hard on the rewatch. probably the most egregious example is all of the cold opens in season 2, where you see all of the wreckage and debris in walt's driveway. it's heavily implied to be due to some sort of big shootout or blowup due to walt's meth cooking, but it turns out to be wreckage from the airplane crash, which makes it all pointless once you know the reveal

Not pointless it leads to lots of things like putting the Q in ABQ

pumped up for school
Nov 24, 2010

I saw the news earlier this week that hulu prices were going up and assumed they'd grandfather people into lower-tier ad-supported options... but has that happened already? Was watching Reservation Dogs tonight and had a (short) ad break in the middle of it. Was jarring.

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE

Aglet56 posted:

It's not pointless though? Walt is indirectly responsible for the plane wreck happening. He let the girl OD at Jessie's place and her dad is the air traffic controller, he's grief stricken and loses focus and that's how the plane crash happens.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Steve Yun posted:

I would cancel Amazon Prime Video if it wasn't attached to Amazon Prime delivery. They just don't produce enough good content to justify paying for it, and they've pushed most of their catalogue to the free, commercial supported service Freevee (formerly IMDBTV).

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

Field Mousepad posted:

It's not pointless though? Walt is indirectly responsible for the plane wreck happening. He let the girl OD at Jessie's place and her dad is the air traffic controller, he's grief stricken and loses focus and that's how the plane crash happens.

I get what he means, BB does a lot of flash forward stuff to serve as a little teaser for what's to come, which is less satisfying when you already know the 'mystery' being hinted at. I've actually been watching BCS after blowing it off years ago (just made it to S5) and it's kinda better about it and kinda not, because most of the little teasers are just to remind you that BB eventually happens.

I think the Sopranos kind of stands on it's own a little better as a whole for trying to be less 'suspenseful' in that way, if that makes sense? Less about building to a reveal and more about watching horrible people bounce off of each other.

Then again the BB prequel is mostly good and the Sopranos prequel is shockingly bad so who's to say which is better overall

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist
Yeah, I get it too. It's the difference between a foreshadowing moment that includes hints that you may not appreciate until the twist is revealed, and a foreshadowing moment that's just meant to misdirect or to make you wonder what's going on. The pool moments at the opening of that season's openings don't really include hints (except the stuffed animal, maybe), so those moments don't reward a rewatch as much.

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE
Well yeah obviously if you're doing a rewatch it's not as impactful but the first time you see it played out is definitely a holy poo poo moment.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
I finally dumped Netflix (had since 2001!) :catstare: in May 2021 ....................until July 2022 and I've watched pretty much everything that I gave a crap about and will let it expire on Aug 27 again and then wait another year or more.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Edward Mass posted:

Prime Video is, essentially, the DVD aisle at Best Buy circa 2013. You'll find some good stuff, but you have to sift through a lot of crap.

Tubi is that mom and pop rental store that has so many movies they have to break down the video boxes and put them in flat sleeves in comic book long boxes.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Netflix-Good for just finding random palatable trash to watch. Once in a while something good pops up but not enough. Not worth the money. I only keep it cause my family uses the account. Might still cancel
Hulu-Better than Netflix but still spotty. Overall decent possibly worth it
HBO Max-Historically pretty good. Future looks bleak. Probably still worth it atm
Amazon-Mostly worth it for the shipping. So much junk. occasional great original shows though.
Apple TV+- Dirt cheap, great content, great streaming quality. Low overall content, but totally worth it
Disney-Barely use it. I don't care about almost anything on it. probably great for the right customer like parents and turbo nerds.
peacock-Dog-poo poo
paramount-Not as bad as peacock but still dog poo poo
Tubi-Actually not bad for a free service but I don't use it much.

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist
I wish Hulu were better at discovery, because they really have, pound for pound, some of the best stuff next to HBO Max. Just looking back recently, you've got Good Luck to You, Leo Grande; The Bear; Prey; Fire Island; Only Murders in the Building. That's just off the top of my head based on my own limited discovery abilities

mystes
May 31, 2006

It doesn't need to be better at discovery, it just needs to be better than discovery

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Yeah Hulu has a lot of good stuff and a lot of variety. They are also really good for certain types of movies. Like, lots of horror new releases and I think they still get a lot of A24? Maybe that's split up with HBO now I'm not sure.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
My favorites are Criterion Channel and Arrow Player, because I'm a weirdo.

MrXmas
Apr 10, 2006

Let's Get Sweaty

The Modern Leper posted:

I wish Hulu were better at discovery, because they really have, pound for pound, some of the best stuff next to HBO Max. Just looking back recently, you've got Good Luck to You, Leo Grande; The Bear; Prey; Fire Island; Only Murders in the Building. That's just off the top of my head based on my own limited discovery abilities

Hulu has (all of?) FX's programming, so stuff like Always Sunny, What We Do In the Shadows, Reservation Dogs, Atlanta, etc are great. Their movie selection usually rotates in some pretty solid options as well. I agree that they are second behind HBO Max in terms of current quality.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

MrXmas posted:

Hulu has (all of?) FX's programming, so stuff like Always Sunny, What We Do In the Shadows, Reservation Dogs, Atlanta, etc are great. Their movie selection usually rotates in some pretty solid options as well. I agree that they are second behind HBO Max in terms of current quality.

Yeah Hulu is crazy for rewatching shows. In addition to what you mentioned they've also got Archer, Bob's burgers, Rick and Morty, Dave, workaholics, etc

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

And Atlanta. But I guess since Doja cat was on Dave then Dave is better

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Edward Mass posted:

To me it’s more like the DVD section at Half Price Books. All sorts of weird stuff in there but you take your chances as to whether it’s good quality.