Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

timepenguin posted:

So the prior owners built an addition onto the back of our house, an enclosed 2 (don't get me started on this) season room, and a covered porch. Part of the covered porch was segmented based on where an interior wall is and so it is a separate area/"room". For some reason, this area/room had french doors added on the wall splitting the porch but they left it exposed on the rear. They used some curtain to block it and just had stored some exercise equipment and other items in the area. We're tired of the poo poo curtain and I want to turn it into an actual little shop area and keep the wasp/bees and even birds that come in. Additionally, the room backs up to my office which only has one window which is on the wall for this porch room, so I'm also looking to get more light into my office. On the exterior wall facing the fence, this area/room does have 2 windows but they have shutters on the outside block light as well.

You can kind of see the office window in the back and one of the french doors on the left.

I had a contractor out to look at the "2" season room and asked them about what they would do to close this area in and he mentioned getting custom doors or needing to build out the frame more for it to fit more standard doors. The opening is about 9'4" in height and 7'5" in width.

Where do I shop for custom doors for this and how much might that run?

I also had a garage door company come out that has Clopay doors and I asked him about a glass garage door and also carriage-style doors for something that looks good. He quoted about $4.5k for glass and $3.3k for the carriage style. I'm planning on getting someone else to give me an idea on garage doors as well.

I mocked up two on the Clopay site
Glass:

Carriage

I've never bought a garage door before and if my family did I only recall helping with the motor. Is this reasonably priced? From what I saw it might be in the range or potentially on the higher side. I know they are very different than your standard run-of-the-mill garage door. Also how much would it be to add a window, like a long skinny window to the office? And if I was to add a window to solve some light issues are there any other options for closing this off that will be uuhhhh aesthetically pleasing?

If you go the French door route, you're going to need to add a bottom door sill of some sort for weather sealing. At that point you can just start framing in that opening until you get to a standard 2, 3 or 4 door setup. That's going to cost you at least $3500 in which case might as well do a garage door

I'm in favor of the $4500 giant glass door

Another option, since insulation doesn't seem to be a code issue here (?? will it?) is you could go with a custom steel window, which probably won't match your existing suburban aesthetic, but are cool as balls:

Basically it's a bunch of architectural grade T bar and angle iron, using usually 8x10" plate glass that's just glazed directly to the steel and then painted black. It would probably cost $3500-5000 but would let in a ton of light and you could still throw a curtain behind it for privacy. The whole thing would probably be assembled on site

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

timepenguin
Jul 1, 2006

Precisely.

TacoHavoc posted:

If you put a garage door there, remember to think about the headroom you'll loose to the track system + opener (if you put one one). I probably wouldn't do garage door there with the steps up in front of it, I think it'd look weird.

Is this facing your backyard? How important is privacy? Maybe brick or wood frame down to a large single or double glass door? I can't follow your description of the layout very well, an MSpaint from a top view might help with ideas.

I recall asking him about the track and I think he accounted for it being able to clear the existing double doors so I don't think that'd be an issue. I do think it could look weird which is why I thought the glass could work, the other additional all-season room has a bunch of glass doors along the rear so it should mesh with that. That room is on the left of the covered porch area.

Yeah, all of this faces our backyard which is of course visible to the houses behind us and their culdesac. Framing and adding a door is where the contractor was going.

View from my office to show what it looks like in the room:

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
I feel like monster french doors is sort of the answer here. Of the two options provided initially I like the exterior barn/stable kinda door look over the glass thing. I think it fits the brick better. I would assume a half-lit or full-lit door would add a lot of light and make it feel more inviting while closed.

Upgrade
Jun 19, 2021

French doors come in a bunch of larger yet still standard sizes so just get the closest size and frame the rest out?

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

What is this crap in my lawn. You can blow it around by puffing at it with your mouth, but when I poke it with my phone it's sticky. Kind of looks like bug eggs of some kind? Kind of matches the description of mildew but it's only in the top of the grass. I'm in coastal NC

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Looks like cottonwood seed

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Things vary regionally, in Texas we had a cottonwood tree but 1) the seed season was closer to February (my friend was always sick on his birthday in February and blamed the neighbors cottonwood tree) and 2) cottonwood seeds have the density of a dandelion seed ball; this is at least twice the density with some medium moisture level content

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Hadlock posted:

Things vary regionally, in Texas we had a cottonwood tree but 1) the seed season was closer to February (my friend was always sick on his birthday in February and blamed the neighbors cottonwood tree) and 2) cottonwood seeds have the density of a dandelion seed ball; this is at least twice the density with some medium moisture level content

Might be some sort of spitbug situation?

Highbrow Slick
Jul 1, 2007

it is a fool who stays alive - but such fools are we.

redreader posted:

My washer seems to leak water every time it runs. I've cleaned the door and the gasket (the rubber seal thing). What's the next step? call a 'guy', try to replace the rubber seal/gasket thing myself, or just, put a towel under the washer? (water evaporates very fast, here). I inherited this from the previous owner, I have no idea how old it is but I assume 5 years or so.

Can you access the drain tube the washer hose feeds into? I’m not a DIY person at all but our washer was leaking as well. I boiled some water with baking soda (about a buckets worth of water and a pack of baking soda) and poured it slowly down the tube in the wall that the washer drains into, and it hasn’t leaked in the 10 cycles since then.

e: I did this after watching it for a cycle to figure out where the leak was coming from. In my case it was….quite obvious once I saw it in action. Obv my suggestion is only relevant if that is in fact the source of the leak.

Highbrow Slick fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Aug 11, 2022

PitViper
May 25, 2003

Welcome and thank you for shopping at Wal-Mart!
I love you!
Front loading washer? Clean the gasket extra well, maybe use some vinegar or something to help with mineral deposits as well. Our old LG used to weep a bit from the door seal, usually from a combination of hair/fibers and hard water buildup. It was usually my reminder to run a cleaning cycle with a splash of vinegar in the drum.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum

Thufir posted:

How much does it leak? It not too much you could just put a $20 washing machine tray under it and call it done.

As far as I can tell it's less than 1/4 of a cup each time. We don't even notice it every time. Maybe even half of that. Not a lot.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

It's all fun and games until what's leaking fails completely

Water damage. Not even once

remigious
May 13, 2009

Destruction comes inevitably :rip:

Hell Gem
Hello friends, I am new to this thread, finally moving into my first real house this weekend (had a condo previously). How do you guys feel about ring cameras? I’ve always hated them but we’re moving into a rough neighborhood and started thinking it might be a good idea to get one.

Rasputin on the Ritz
Jun 24, 2010
Come let's mix where Rockefellers
walk with sticks or um-ber-ellas
in their mitts
gently caress that noise. If you want to snitch to the cops at least have the balls to do it yourself.

Plenty of other options including home brew that don’t contribute to police state bullshit.

Upgrade
Jun 19, 2021

I have a ring and I like it, but the use case is not "makes your home more secure" its "I don't want to walk to my front door when someone rings the doorbell because I'm lazy" and "did my amazon package get delivered".

remigious
May 13, 2009

Hell Gem
I appreciate both of your perspectives! I do get a lot of packages, but I’m also home all the time so maybe I don’t need one after all.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

My mom's Ring doorbell camera was pretty essential to helping her deal with a man who kept attempting
to break into her home in the middle of the night. The video was more than enough to identify the individual.

Any doorbell camera is going to let you do the same sort of thing, though. I use Eufy myself, since it merely reports my data to the Chinese government and doesn't require a subscription for the privilege.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

I bought a Logitech Circle View doorbell camera because it works with Apple Homekit. I haven't gotten to installing it yet though.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

There's been a lot written about Amazon sharing ring video/audio data with law enforcement without your explicit permission. Definitely read up on that if that sort of thing bothers you. Google recently acknowledged that they will share audio/video without a warrant too, but only in more extreme cases, where I think Amazon is more loose. No idea how other companies handle it

Synology does video control too if you want a totally closed loop, but it's gonna require a lot more technical skills. There's a dedicated smart home thread somewhere too

remigious
May 13, 2009

Hell Gem

Hadlock posted:

There's been a lot written about Amazon sharing ring video/audio data with law enforcement without your explicit permission. Definitely read up on that if that sort of thing bothers you

Urgh, yeah that definitely worries me. I just discussed this with my husband, who works in IT, and he is dead set against anything “smart” in the house. So I guess it’s a no-go. My other idea is to get a big floofy dog :3

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

remigious posted:

I just discussed this with my husband, who works in IT, and he is dead set against anything “smart” in the house.

He knows what he's talking about. It's a very reasonable position to have.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

remigious posted:

Hello friends, I am new to this thread, finally moving into my first real house this weekend (had a condo previously). How do you guys feel about ring cameras? I’ve always hated them but we’re moving into a rough neighborhood and started thinking it might be a good idea to get one.

https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2022/08/amazon-studio-plans-lighthearted-show-of-ring-surveillance-footage/

You can roll your own security system or just set up your own camera without being a participant in the warrantless police surveillance of your neighborhood or signing everyone up to star in Ow, My Balls.

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

My main usecase for my camera is preventing ups and fedex from gaslighting me.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Smart devices are crap and Ring has historically had legitimate issues with sharing data inappropriately

But at least specifically to this dumb TV show, it is user-submitted and/or staged footage

They didn't just comb through customer mpegs to find silly clips

an iksar marauder
May 6, 2022

An iksar marauder glowers at you dubiously -- looks like quite a gamble.
I hope my smart roomba leads to amazon delivering things to my home using mortars

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.

an iksar marauder posted:

I hope my smart roomba leads to amazon delivering things to my home using mortars

Your roomba will be used to tell the Amazon drones which window they need to open to find you.

slurm
Jul 28, 2022

by Hand Knit

Motronic posted:

He knows what he's talking about. It's a very reasonable position to have.

I believe that Ring is the worst of the worst in this segment and that's really saying something.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Rasputin on the Ritz posted:

gently caress that noise. If you want to snitch to the cops at least have the balls to do it yourself.

Plenty of other options including home brew that don’t contribute to police state bullshit.

remigious posted:

Urgh, yeah that definitely worries me. I just discussed this with my husband, who works in IT, and he is dead set against anything “smart” in the house. So I guess it’s a no-go. My other idea is to get a big floofy dog :3

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Smart devices are crap and Ring has historically had legitimate issues with sharing data inappropriately

Yup it's all garbage not even once. Definitely don't ever put them inside your house.

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.
Currently building up a Unifi setup. Got a couple interior cams as a test, waiting for their new Pro doorbell to actually be in stock to start putting up exterior cameras.

Fully local storage. I can remote in to it, but it's not stored in the cloud.

edit: don't quite have all the IOT stuff locked down, but that's in the near future.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Here is the smart home/security thread

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3635963

slurm
Jul 28, 2022

by Hand Knit

DaveSauce posted:

Currently building up a Unifi setup. Got a couple interior cams as a test, waiting for their new Pro doorbell to actually be in stock to start putting up exterior cameras.

Fully local storage. I can remote in to it, but it's not stored in the cloud.

edit: don't quite have all the IOT stuff locked down, but that's in the near future.

You'll have to let us know over in the security thread how it goes, I want to do something similar, especially to monitor attics and crawls.

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.

slurm posted:

You'll have to let us know over in the security thread how it goes, I want to do something similar, especially to monitor attics and crawls.

I would bet the folks there are 10 steps ahead of me, same with the crowd in the network thread in SH/SC.

I know some people there have UniFi, but lots of people there advocate for Blue Iris instead.

But I got a lot of equipment to buy and ethernet to run before I can really call it solid...

DaveSauce fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Aug 12, 2022

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum

Highbrow Slick posted:

Can you access the drain tube the washer hose feeds into? I’m not a DIY person at all but our washer was leaking as well. I boiled some water with baking soda (about a buckets worth of water and a pack of baking soda) and poured it slowly down the tube in the wall that the washer drains into, and it hasn’t leaked in the 10 cycles since then.

e: I did this after watching it for a cycle to figure out where the leak was coming from. In my case it was….quite obvious once I saw it in action. Obv my suggestion is only relevant if that is in fact the source of the leak.

I pulled the washer and dryer away from the wall and there was no leaking or water damage from the outflow tube of the washer, and no water pooled behind it or water damage on the floor there either. It MUST be leaking from the glass/rubber seal at the front, which is where I see the water when it appears. Now that I've seen there are no water stains under or behind the washer, I revise my estimate down to about 1-2 tablespoons at a time. I also unearthed the safety 'stick this laminated quick-guide to the side of the washer' thing, and it says leakage can be due to the trap (there's only one) at the front being super dirty , or the door seal. It's definitely not the trap, and I do a tub clean once a month or so. I just took some wipes and wiped the poo poo out of all of the nooks and crannies of the seal and the door where it sticks to, and I'm running a 15 minute rinse cycle to see if it still leaks.

I also saw that the dryer tube was completely crimped to the dryer and the wall with some kind of metal thing so I decided 'there's no way in hell I can take that poo poo apart and put it back together again without buying some stuff, so I'm not touching it now' but I'd say that the dryer outlet tube has probably not been removed in like, 5-10 years. I'll check the side of the house where it comes out to see if I can do anything on that side, but yeah I think that's worth a visit from someone. The dryer DOES run pretty well though!

edit: the 15 minute rinse resulted in no leaking at all. I think for now I'm safe. The dryer outlet didn't look too bad either, I could stick my hand in and it didn't have a giant wad of crap in there or anything. just a fuzzy tube.

redreader fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Aug 12, 2022

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

Scarodactyl posted:

I got a nice video of the Amazon guy backing over my mailbox.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Scarodactyl posted:

How does that actually help, though?

"I have video of you coming up to my door and not delivering it."
"Sorry we missed you! We'll try to deliver another day!"
"No, really, you intentionally didn't deliver. Your guy walked right up and--"
"Please contact us 24/7 online to resolve any complaints you have! Sorry we missed you! We'll try to delivery another day!"
"ARE YOU LISTENING TO ME?"
*call disconnects*

If they gave a poo poo, they wouldn't do things like that and like throwing boxes at your garage door from a moving truck in the first place.

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

I am loving in love with stealth cable installs for wall mounted televisions.

(First time home buyer and I did all the work myself please be gentle, I hate the lobsided subwoofer)

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Sundae posted:

How does that actually help, though?
It helps a ton to know what your problem is. Was the package delivered and then stolen? Did I miss them knocking or did they never come? Am I going crazy or are they lying again (they are always lying). I did manage to put enough pressure over a package that they claimed to have attempted delivery on (the guy went down our cul de sac, turned around and left without stopping) that it eventually showed up unannounced on my doorstep, delivered from a non-UPS rental van. Another time it was helpful to establish a package had in fact not been rejected for being damaged and getting them to actually deliver it. But mostly it's just nice to know what actually happened.

Upgrade
Jun 19, 2021

Good job not hanging your TV too high. Did you run the cables through the wall?

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

Upgrade posted:

Good job not hanging your TV too high. Did you run the cables through the wall?

Yea, 2in hole saw behind the TV and behind the media center and ran the wires in the cavity between the studs. The way the room is laid out their is literally only one place to put a TV so I didn't care about the wall damage because it's always going to have some screen there.

The TV is actually higher than I planned (the bottom is about 32in off the floor) but I didn't account for the difference in the mount I used and the one at my previous residence but it worked out perfect with the media center that I found cheap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

an iksar marauder
May 6, 2022

An iksar marauder glowers at you dubiously -- looks like quite a gamble.
my TV is a bit high but it's just right if you slouch a little bit. No regrets, but maybe a sliding mount would have been a good idea.