Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

oliveoil posted:

Still sounds like the path to eating one's neighbors.

Well, yes?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

Capt.Whorebags posted:

In a end-of-days scenario, if you’re going to launch thousands of weapons, then it’s probably not much of a distinction. Only USA and Russia have this capability, the other declared nuclear states don’t have arsenals beyond several hundred and have mostly committed to using them as a retaliatory strike on a nuclear armed state.

The Samson Option has entered the chat :jewish: :kheldragar:

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

I think it's in Command and Control where a Cold War SAC leader looked at the SIOP and calculated, that without a single bomb falling inside Moscow city limits. There were so many targets around the city, that the fallout would be lethal to everyone in Moscow not deep in a milspec hardened fallout bunker.

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

TipTow posted:

Yes, they explicitly reserve the right of first use.
The point of that is that it lets you use nukes to deter conventional attacks. Historically, NATO thought it would lose to the Soviet conventional army. If you adopt a no first use policy, a Soviet conventional invasion of West Germany / Berlin (or more modernly, a Chinese invasion of Taiwan) only has to think about if it can win a conventional fight. Without no first use, you also have to consider if it's worth the risk of ending the world.

No first use is the unusual position since it's trading away conventional security. Only India and China have that, every other nuclear armed nation explicitly reserves it (except for Israel who makes a shifty face)

Capt.Whorebags
Jan 10, 2005

It's an interesting distinction I think between "no first aggressive use" and "no use against conventional states/forces".

China's position is that it wouldn't use nukes against non-nuclear states but I'm sure if their home territory was under significant threat of invasion then that position would change.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o861Ka9TtT4

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Capt.Whorebags posted:

It's an interesting distinction I think between "no first aggressive use" and "no use against conventional states/forces".

China's position is that it wouldn't use nukes against non-nuclear states but I'm sure if their home territory was under significant threat of invasion then that position would change.

If poo poo China makes a play for Better China and gets repelled the CCP'll make up some paper thin excuse and blamo.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Capt.Whorebags posted:

I thought China's position was that they wouldn't let nukes fly first, no matter what? And that they not only reiterated that multiple times over the years, but have allowed inspections that confirm that they don't even maintain their arsenal in a way that would make them easy to arm and launch?

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

Nominally, yes. Whether they would actually stick to that policy if there were, let's say, a battalion of Finnish Moose Cavalry cutting a swath of terror through the heart of China and threatening to capture Beijing is an open question.

In practice, it's moot because anyone with a conventional military that could plausibly threaten China's is also a nuclear weapons state directly or in NATO.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
All right, who had 'Trimp selling nuclear secrets to the Saudis?' on their escalation Clancy card?

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Absolutely not me, this is just the wildest timeline

Especially since we already sold the Saudis nuclear secrets in 2018, he even declared a national emergency to do so.

Ionicpsycho
Dec 25, 2006
The Shortbus Avenger.
German speaking goons, what's the word for the concept of "I did not think of this, but of course it's absolutely this"?

GlassEye-Boy
Jul 12, 2001

Capt.Whorebags posted:

What non nuclear state is capable of invading China?

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

GlassEye-Boy posted:

Mongolia,

edit: poo poo wrong century.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

What the actual gently caress, reality? What did we do to you?

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

MrYenko posted:

we turned the LHC back on and flipped back into the world of consequence and the Bernstein bears.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

MrYenko posted:

If I remember right, we charged her with violating the Espionage Act of 1917.

Barrel Cactaur
Oct 6, 2021

Outrail posted:

If poo poo China makes a play for Better China and gets repelled the CCP'll make up some paper thin excuse and blamo.

They claim to be the same country and we have nukes thus they also claim to have nukes.

Otherwise they don't count as a different country so it's a domestic use not of interest in international affairs.

Capt.Whorebags
Jan 10, 2005

GlassEye-Boy posted:

New Zealand. It's the quiet ones you have to watch.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Barrel Cactaur posted:

They claim to be the same country and we have nukes thus they also claim to have nukes.

Otherwise they don't count as a different country so it's a domestic use not of interest in international affairs.

For real though, I made an effort post about the scrapping of the Taiwanese nuclear weapons program about a year ago in the China thread, it was a pretty interesting story. The current DPP government in charge is about as anti-nuclear as you could be while still having some reactors up (with some plans to shut down the two remaining.)

GoutPatrol fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Aug 13, 2022

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

In case people are still interested in the mid-long-term effects of a global nuclear exchange, there's a new paper in Nature Food that looks at food output as a function of dust spewed into the atmosphere in various hypothetical scenarios. I haven't had time to look at their methods thoroughly, but they've sure managed to make some :smith: graphics.

The article is open access, so have fun!

Discussion posted:

In conclusion, the reduced light, global cooling and likely trade restrictions after nuclear wars would be a global catastrophe for food security. The negative impact of climate perturbations on the total crop production can generally not be offset by livestock and aquatic food (Fig. 5a). More than 2 billion people could die from a nuclear war between India and Pakistan, and more than 5 billion could die from a war between the United States and Russia (Table 1).

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Looks like I need to get to Straya or... *squinting* Argentina?

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Volmarias posted:

Looks like I need to get to Straya or... *squinting* Argentina?
The 16-27Tg scenario is a win for the United States.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

A Buttery Pastry posted:

The 16-27Tg scenario is a win for the United States.

Lol at Canada getting turbo hosed after being such a quiet decent neighbor for so long.

Capt.Whorebags
Jan 10, 2005

Even after a nuclear holocaust Australia still has an obesity problem.

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

Rappaport posted:

In case people are still interested in the mid-long-term effects of a global nuclear exchange, there's a new paper in Nature Food that looks at food output as a function of dust spewed into the atmosphere in various hypothetical scenarios. I haven't had time to look at their methods thoroughly, but they've sure managed to make some :smith: graphics.

The article is open access, so have fun!

The outlook for an India-Pakistan conflict is significantly worse than I had expected, but the US-Russia conflict is significantly better than I had expected (which to be fair, is down to my assumption previous of full Donner party nutrition for five to eight years). I had previously estimated a few hundred million survivors, compared to 3 billion here.

That's good news right? :smith:

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Outrail posted:

Lol at Canada getting turbo hosed after being such a quiet decent neighbor for so long.

They know what they did.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Nuclear proliferation between South Africa and Israel came up in another thread, so I'm curious about something and this is as good a place as any to ask:

With the implication of Trump's theft of nuclear secrets, what is the possibility that we're going to see a nuclear-armed Saudi Arabia soon? What would that look like? Would it be an open secret like Israel, or would they announce it to the world? How would they test? What would the geopolitical response be to their new found toys; how would it change relationships between state actors?

I realize that's asking a mouthful but it's a region I don't know much about and nuclear stuff always has me curious. In the past, when countries have joined the Nuclear Club, what was the reaction?

Wheeljack
Jul 12, 2021

Mister Speaker posted:

Nuclear proliferation between South Africa and Israel came up in another thread, so I'm curious about something and this is as good a place as any to ask:

With the implication of Trump's theft of nuclear secrets, what is the possibility that we're going to see a nuclear-armed Saudi Arabia soon? What would that look like? Would it be an open secret like Israel, or would they announce it to the world? How would they test? What would the geopolitical response be to their new found toys; how would it change relationships between state actors?

I realize that's asking a mouthful but it's a region I don't know much about and nuclear stuff always has me curious. In the past, when countries have joined the Nuclear Club, what was the reaction?

It’s not as if there’s a sheet of paper that says how to make a nuclear bomb that Trump can hand to KSM to get them set up. Look at the history of Iran or North Korea trying to build a bomb, it requires a nuclear plant and a lot of centrifuges to refine the fuel and a delivery system that can carry one and a lot of expertise. Plus a lot of money and concentration. The Saudi regime is completely lacking on all of those fronts but, perhaps money.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE
Yeah, nuclear proliferation is mainly kept in check by the fact that the fissile materials are a pain in the rear end to obtain and refine, even if you have nuclear power generation. It's also worth keeping in mind that fission weapons were designed with slide rules. The theoretical side of things is one heck of a lot easier to deal with these days, you can do a lot with simulations.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Ah right, I actually knew about the difficulty in producing nukes but it totally slipped my mind. I guess it would be immediately very obvious to outside observers then, if KSA started making steps towards a weapons program.

Still the question stands, what if they did? Apart from sanctions is there anything the rest of the world could or would do to stop or punish them?

Who will be the next nuclear power?

It'd be really funny if it were someone real obscure, like Burkina Faso.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

TheFluff posted:

Yeah, nuclear proliferation is mainly kept in check by the fact that the fissile materials are a pain in the rear end to obtain and refine, even if you have nuclear power generation. It's also worth keeping in mind that fission weapons were designed with slide rules. The theoretical side of things is one heck of a lot easier to deal with these days, you can do a lot with simulations.

Well yes and the murders too

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

And people say there's no value in humanities degrees.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

piL posted:

And people say there's no value in humanities degrees.

Nah you need the crimes against humanity degrees for this stuff really

Wheeljack
Jul 12, 2021

Mister Speaker posted:

Ah right, I actually knew about the difficulty in producing nukes but it totally slipped my mind. I guess it would be immediately very obvious to outside observers then, if KSA started making steps towards a weapons program.

Still the question stands, what if they did? Apart from sanctions is there anything the rest of the world could or would do to stop or punish them?

Well, the Stuxnet Worm slowed down the Iranians. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stuxnet. Sanctions are a big one. The expense is high and there are plenty of other costs, so not a lot of nations have a strong means and motive to do so. The Saudis would like one if the Iranians had one, but that possibility seems to be distant at the moment.

Wheeljack fucked around with this message at 09:21 on Aug 27, 2022

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender
I think 60% of why America sells KSA so much stuff is because of the money. The money is good--though that's probably more about the money not going elsewhere. 10% is probably being able to safely base and stage things in a tumultuous part of the world. Another 10% is invading people the US doesnt like. But I think that last 20% is so they can shut the tap if KSA invades a friend or refines uranium.

KSA has between the time they get caught and until they have enough to actually threaten the area around them to build a stockpile sufficient to overcome threats that don't generally congregate in ways susceptible to large strikes. An isolated KSA might benefit from nukes but given their particular situation, but US arms support is far more valuable.

DJ_Mindboggler
Nov 21, 2013
Wouldn't the implications of a state going nuclear depend a lot on the delivery systems they could field as well? Warheads aren't really that scary if they can't reach their targets. A state that could also create a stealth submarine? Now that's an issue.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:
I remember some claims about the Saudis supporting Pakistan's nuclear program, and possibly having an arrangement about getting some nukes in return if they should ask for them. That would certainly help them get past the perilous phase where you're trying to develop nuclear weapons, but don't have them yet, and direct support from a country with an existing nuclear program would make the whole transition to self-sufficiency much easier too.

Of course even if that was the agreement then, Pakistan probably wouldn't have a real interest in honoring it now - and if they were in such dire financial straits that it would be, I imagine the Chinese would prefer to prop them up over nuclear proliferation in the Middle East.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Mister Speaker posted:

Unfortunately, all of the "axis of evil" rhetoric made for a really good point why small states like North Korea would want a nuclear weapon. It doesn't really make them more scarier than they already were, since you can just bomb Seoul down to rubble with conventional bombs too. But, once you start throwing the word nuclear around, it's a lot more menacing.

Practically speaking, there isn't a lot the international community can do against nations who are really keen on making a nuclear weapon. Back during the Cold War the CIA had a list of nations who could "in general terms" manufacture a nuclear bomb out of scratch within a three-month timetable, and this included pretty much everyone in the industrialized world.

No one really wants to be a nuclear power though, since it generally speaking just makes you look like a huge rear end in a top hat. I guess the French are an exception to this, since they enjoy being assholes. But all the same, it doesn't really make sense for Switzerland to manufacture a nuclear weapon or three just for the sake of having it, since it only brings in negative things to their already stable foreign policy calculus.

What might surprise you to know is that the obscure and small nation of Sweden was well on their way to having nuclear bomb capabilities, you know, in case they ran out of Finns to keep the Soviets at bay :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

TheFluff posted:

There’s also a rather large difference between the technical ability to produce a functional nuclear explosive device and the ability to produce a lightweight, resilient, maintainable, deployable nuclear weapon.

A crude 10,000lb fission bomb was (just barely) useable in 1945, but good luck using something like that today as anything other than a truck bomb.