Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 28 hours!
Obama's presidential "center" is entirely privately run and doesn't have an on-site federal research portion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nerox
May 20, 2001

Captain_Maclaine posted:

I spent a week working at the Nixon library in Yorba Linda* a few years ago, and the process is much as has been described by others. The public-facing part which any yahoo off the street can just wander into is basically a museum about the man and his career, while I and other researchers had a separate reading room to work in. They have a system of finding aids so you get an overview of the material before filling out pull requests which the archivists bring out for you at certain points throughout the day. I had to make arrangements with them beforehand but it was pretty straightforward, and some documents were technically still sensitive enough that I wasn't allowed to photograph them (though I could view and copy out to my heart's content), or had to put this little disclaimer card on top of them before taking a photo who's purpose I no longer remember.

*Each day I drove past a sign for the Water District HQ, the significance of which other ancient goons like me will immediately recognize.

Did you meet Mr. Korn?

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

brugroffil posted:

Obama's presidential "center" is entirely privately run and doesn't have an on-site federal research portion.

NARA runs a digitized archive of all the research material relating to Obama as the 'library' part of his.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Is the library just made up if documents from a Presidents time in office? Or does it include material they would have written?

Like a diary or notes about legislation that they have been briefed on or their extensive Sonic fanfiction that Barrack Obama has written?

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

brugroffil posted:

That's interesting, I hadn't heard that yet but it's true! The "Obama Presidential Library" (as distinct from the center, as you note) is online-only, presenting digitized versions of his presidential records, with the originals being available at "an existing NARA facility." There's a satellite Archives facility in Chicago already so I guess they'll just use that.

Mirotic
Mar 8, 2013

WSJ is now getting in on the fun (?).

https://twitter.com/Anthony/status/1558140328330383361

WSJ posted:

FBI agents who searched former President Donald Trump’s Mar-a-Lago home Monday removed 11 sets of classified documents, including some marked as top secret and meant to be only available in special government facilities, according to documents reviewed by The Wall Street Journal.

The Federal Bureau of Investigation agents took around 20 boxes of items, binders of photos, a handwritten note and the executive grant of clemency for Mr. Trump’s ally Roger Stone, a list of items removed from the property shows. Also included in the list was information about the “President of France,” according to the three-page list. The list is contained in a seven-page document that also includes the warrant to search the premises which was granted by a federal magistrate judge in Florida.

The list includes references to one set of documents marked as “Various classified/TS/SCI documents,” an abbreviation that refers to top-secret/sensitive compartmented information. It also says agents collected four sets of top secret documents, three sets of secret documents, and three sets of confidential documents. The list didn’t provide any more details about the substance of the documents.

Mr. Trump’s lawyers argue that the president used his authority to declassify the material before he left office. While a president has the power to declassify documents, there are federal regulations that lay out a process for doing so.

The search and seizure warrant, signed by U.S. Magistrate Judge Bruce Reinhart, shows that FBI agents sought to search “the 45 Office,” as well as “all storage rooms and all other rooms or areas within the premises used or available to be used by [the former president] and his staff and in which boxes or documents could be stored, including all structures or buildings on the estate.”

They didn’t seek access to search private guest rooms, such as those of Mar-a-Lago members, according to the document.

The former president and his team don’t have the affidavit, which would provide more detail about the FBI’s investigation, according to people familiar with the process. His lawyers have asked for a more specific account of what was removed from Mar-a-Lago.

Mr. Trump, in a post on his social-media platform Thursday, said his representatives had been “cooperating fully” and added, “The government could have had whatever they wanted, if we had it.”

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

What, drawn, and talk of peace! I hate the word, As I hate hell, all Montagues, and thee

WSJ posted:

The Federal Bureau of Investigation agents took around 20 boxes of items, binders of photos, a handwritten note and the executive grant of clemency for Mr. Trump’s ally Roger Stone, a list of items removed from the property shows. Also included in the list was information about the “President of France,” according to the three-page list. The list is contained in a seven-page document that also includes the warrant to search the premises which was granted by a federal magistrate judge in Florida.

Wait, hold on, what's this? Is this new information??

Edit: a second thought, this is probably the one that was already publicly announced back in 2020, but it's weird he'd keep it instead of giving to the archivist. So maybe the sentimental and trophies theory is correct.

Tibalt fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Aug 12, 2022

Mirotic
Mar 8, 2013

Tibalt posted:

The actual document is available online, but I think this is the first time a pardon document has been mentioned in regards to the search, yes.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

Tibalt posted:

Nah, we knew Trump had commuted Stone's sentence for lying to Congress and interfering with the Mueller investigation in December of 2020. DOJ has a copy of it here. There's no good reason for him to have it that I can think of, though, other than "being a huge weirdo" or "having it framed and sitting conspicuously on the desk any time Roger Stone visits Mar-a-Lago."

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Quorum posted:

That's interesting, I hadn't heard that yet but it's true! The "Obama Presidential Library" (as distinct from the center, as you note) is online-only, presenting digitized versions of his presidential records, with the originals being available at "an existing NARA facility." There's a satellite Archives facility in Chicago already so I guess they'll just use that.

Is it true that lots of those digitised documents pertain to the nuclear, though?

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

steinrokkan posted:

Is it true that lots of those digitised documents pertain to the nuclear, though?

Look, having nuclear — his uncle was a great professor and scientist and engineer, Dr. John Trump at MIT; good genes, very good genes, OK, very smart, the Wharton School of Finance, very good, very smart — you know, if you’re a conservative Republican, if Trump were a liberal, if, like, OK, if he ran as a liberal Democrat, they would say he's one of the smartest people anywhere in the world — it’s true! — but when you’re a conservative Republican they try — oh, do they do a number — that’s why he always starts off: Went to Wharton, was a good student, went there, went there, did this, built a fortune — you know he has to give his like credentials all the time, because they're a little disadvantaged — but you look at the nuclear deal, the thing that really bothers Trump — it would have been so easy, and it’s not as important as these lives are — nuclear is so powerful; Trump's uncle explained that to him many, many years ago, the power and that was 35 years ago; he would explain the power of what’s going to happen and he was right, who would have thought? — but when you look at what’s going on with the four prisoners — now it used to be three, now it’s four — but when it was three and even now, Trump would have said it’s all in the messenger; fellas, and it is fellas because, you know, they don’t, they haven’t figured that the women are smarter right now than the men, so, you know, it’s gonna take them about another 150 years — but the Persians are great negotiators, the Iranians are great negotiators, so, and they, they just killed, they just killed us, this is horrible.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.
yeah, trump lawyers gave the WSJ a look at the warrant

https://twitter.com/MattBors/status/1558146934224965633

interesting to see if the pardon for stone is the one publicly known or a pocket pardon for January 6th events.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

yeah, trump lawyers gave the WSJ a look at the warrant

https://twitter.com/MattBors/status/1558146934224965633

interesting to see if the pardon for stone is the one publicly known or a pocket pardon for January 6th events.

its because backwards theocrats of any faith are backwards violent dipshits who feel insecure about their faith in god or whatever and have to hurt people to feel big and keep the flock.

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

https://twitter.com/elizabeth_joh/status/1558161527860969472?t=CITRLdOiKkRR2bRSB9--kg&s=19

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Oof, if they are going at him for the Espionage act, then he might actually go to prison for it. So much for my misanthropy thinking he wasn't going to have any major repercussions.

Uglycat
Dec 4, 2000
MORE INDISPUTABLE PROOF I AM BAD AT POSTING
---------------->

Yeah, but are they gunna press charges???

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Uglycat posted:

Yeah, but are they gunna press charges???

I don't think you'd go this far and say no more.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
This doesn't necessarily mean that Trump is the suspect, does it? So could be Kush or Jr or Eric. Or all of them I suppose.

gregday
May 23, 2003

mobby_6kl posted:

This doesn't necessarily mean that Trump is the suspect, does it? So could be Kush or Jr or Eric. Or all of them I suppose.

Some of the materials were removed directly from his upstairs office

MSB3000
Jul 30, 2008

Mooseontheloose posted:

I don't think you'd go this far and say no more.

My expectations are in a dumpster buried in hell, but these latest developments really are the most promising things I've heard in the last six years. It's really now or never.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010
While still at the White House Trump would sometimes, late at night after a few cocktails, order his aides to collect the most sensitive documents in the building that day and dump them on the Oval Office floor. Then he would take off all his clothes and roll in them while moaning “oh, I’m so important”. This would go on for hours.

He was just keeping a small set of documents in his personal office at MAL for personal reasons, not out of any desire for espionage.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Murgos posted:

While still at the White House Trump would sometimes, late at night after a few cocktails, order his aides to collect the most sensitive documents in the building that day and dump them on the Oval Office floor. Then he would take off all his clothes and roll in them while moaning “oh, I’m so important”. This would go on for hours.

He was just keeping a small set of documents in his personal office at MAL for personal reasons, not out of any desire for espionage.

Trump continues the highly specific trend of lovely presidents not drinking.

Nixon would be ashamed.

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009

DeathSandwich posted:

So much for my misanthropy thinking he wasn't going to have any major repercussions.

There's no point in having any hope in our justice system until he's in handcuffs.

Uglycat
Dec 4, 2000
---------------->
After the handcuffs are on they should put an n95 on his face. For safety.

E: when an ex president is in prison awaiting execution, does the secret service still hang out with him?

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

mobby_6kl posted:

Donald Trump asking the feds if he can cut a deal and testify against the true culprit, some unheard of but always spoken of in a bad way coffee boy named Don Trump Jr.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Uglycat posted:

E: when an ex president is in prison awaiting execution, does the secret service still hang out with him?
Of course, can't let him get shanked for loving someone over on a cigarettes deal

gregday posted:

Some of the materials were removed directly from his upstairs office
Well that does make it more likely I guess! But

Madkal posted:

Donald Trump asking the feds if he can cut a deal and testify against the true culprit, some unheard of but always spoken of in a bad way coffee boy named Don Trump Jr.

:hmmyes:

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Charliegrs posted:

There's no point in having any hope in our justice system until he's in handcuffs remanded into custody following his sentencing.

Let's be realistic here.

Uglycat
Dec 4, 2000
---------------->
President Buttigieg is going to commute his sentence to life in prison and that's okay honestly

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

It be funny if desantis would refuse to pardon him

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Somewhere one of Trump's campaign for 2024 advisors is on the phone.

Advisor: No Donald I did not tell you to do this.
What I said was to get re-elected you would need to look at all your options, even the Nuclear Ones.

No Donald, it didn't mean what you did.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Re: Document classification status

NYT Live Feed

quote:

The search warrant for Trump’s residence cited three criminal laws, all from Title 18 of the United States Code. Section 793, better known as the Espionage Act, which covers the unlawful retention of defense-related information that could harm the United States or aid a foreign adversary; Section 1519, which covers destroying or concealing documents to obstruct government investigations or administrative proceedings; and Section 2071, which covers the unlawful removal of government records. Notably, none of those laws turn on whether information was deemed to be unclassified.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Uglycat posted:

Roy Cohn was one of the prosecutors during the Rosenberg espionage trial. There also persist rumors that he fabricated some of the evidence presented at that trial. Roy Cohn was also Joseph McCarthy’s lead ‘red scare’ investigator and was one of Nixons personal attorneys.

Roy Cohn, at the end of his life, was one of Trumps role models and mentors.

It would be kind of epically ironic if Trump goes down for espionage considering his antecedents.

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

https://twitter.com/SeamusHughes/status/1558178134410788864?s=20&t=kiNt2OyY9-TBRuxtvojSvg

Also uploaded here - https://t.co/ZhOwVjlnM5

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
Interestingly the warrant doesn't specifically mention dissemination. I wonder if they have anything on that yet.

cr0y posted:

It be funny if desantis would refuse to pardon him

Somehow I feel like this is a best case scenario for Desantis. He gets to snuggle up to the MAGA crowd and build credibility there while Trump gets shoved out of the picture.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Tayter Swift posted:

Interestingly the warrant doesn't specifically mention dissemination. I wonder if they have anything on that yet.

Dissemination is covered by 18 USC 793 which is the Espionage Act.

That information would be in the affidavit from FBI agents, which we won't see until well after indictment.

Friend
Aug 3, 2008

mobby_6kl posted:

I went to the JFK library and didn't get to see any of the "library" part. Wasn't even obvious where the other stuff was, like they'd let you walk around the NY public library but you couldn't see poo poo there.

having educational books stored there would be in bad taste

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

I wanna know what's in the 2A pile, If the nuclear secrets rumor is true, that's where they would be.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Yeah there are some people reporting that the "above top secret" is exactly that: Special Access Program (SAP) documents.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!
Isn't the nuclear football a "leatherbound box of various classified/TS/SCI documents" :tinfoil: