Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Captain Foo)
How do you feel about Archnemesis mods on rares?
Incredibly fun, I love them!
They're alright
Needs more work
Almost as much fun as shoving a red hot nail under my fingernail
Other (post below)
View Results

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
Since I finally have some free time this leaguestart so I've decided this will finally be the league I play Flicker Strike for the first time. Does anyone have a decent idea of how to leaguestart Flicker? Keeping in mind the following:
  • I only play a single character each league so it's gotta be actual leaguestart. I don't mind playing another skill for the early acts but I have no interest if I can't be Flicker Striking by the time I reach Ki2va.
  • Though I used to be a competent farmer of T16 maps and killer of Shapers, I basically haven't played in 4 years. I still have never used a cluster jewel or seen a conqueror's exalt drop in my brief forays into PoE since then, I regularly forget annointing is a thing, I have literally no idea what all these new implicits I see around are or how to get them. Therefore anything that relies on me knowing poo poo about the game or being able to make more than a handful of exalts (divines I guess?) of currency is right out
  • I don't actually care if the build is kinda bad, as long as it's not fully bad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.

No Safe Word posted:

Yes, I've got my item almost finished, just one affix left. Time for a juicy slam.

*goes to The Ledge to rub an exalt on Kuduku*

*opens up Schnappi in a youtube tab and says a prayer to Quin69*

*slams and gets "10% increased global accuracy rating, 5% increased light radius"*

Ohhhhhhhhhh yeah, that's the good stuff. Thank you based Chris Wilson.

Some things are better targets for slams than others. Clusters, for example, are notoriously good for slamming, as are jewels in general.

Having cheap slams also gives the possibility of looking for 3-4 mod items that have POTENTIAL and actually manifesting that potential. With the next league mechanic, you may also want to slam before throwing them at the league mechanic and hope your hybrid accuracy gets sacrificed so you can get 110 str on your ring.

Insurrectionist posted:

Since I finally have some free time this leaguestart so I've decided this will finally be the league I play Flicker Strike for the first time. Does anyone have a decent idea of how to leaguestart Flicker? Keeping in mind the following:
  • I only play a single character each league so it's gotta be actual leaguestart. I don't mind playing another skill for the early acts but I have no interest if I can't be Flicker Striking by the time I reach Ki2va.
  • Though I used to be a competent farmer of T16 maps and killer of Shapers, I basically haven't played in 4 years. I still have never used a cluster jewel or seen a conqueror's exalt drop in my brief forays into PoE since then, I regularly forget annointing is a thing, I have literally no idea what all these new implicits I see around are or how to get them. Therefore anything that relies on me knowing poo poo about the game or being able to make more than a handful of exalts (divines I guess?) of currency is right out
  • I don't actually care if the build is kinda bad, as long as it's not fully bad

Don't leaguestart flicker. Just don't do it. If you want to play flicker, you're going to have to map until you can put together a competent flicker build all at once and then switch, or make a second character. If you don't, you're literally going to find yourself standing around for 4 seconds while flicker comes off cooldown, flicker for another few times, then wait 4 seconds again because you just don't have the frenzy generation you need.

Also, you really should try to catch up on all the things that have come out since you last played because they're pretty important and a big part of the reason why builds are viable in the current state of the game.

e.g. my current build uses the new implicit crafting on boots to hit ailment immunity and crit cap, implicit on chest to hit block cap, and implicit on gloves to hit 90% max res and also give exposure. They're pretty big.

totalnewbie fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Aug 12, 2022

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
ggg just bent over everyone RMTing and the tft barons and the economy-lords and just converted their currency hoards into pennies. now some random player's stock of 400 divine orbs in standard is worth more than someone's old hoard of exalts

it's the funniest thing they've ever done

sucks for anyone who was sitting on 150,000 exalt orbs to RMT of course

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Herstory Begins Now posted:

ggg just bent over everyone RMTing and the tft barons and the economy-lords and just converted their currency hoards into pennies. now some random player's stock of 400 divine orbs in standard is worth more than someone's old hoard of exalts

I will lol at this

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

xZAOx posted:

I'd rather not have game economies at all

Tiny Bug Child
Sep 11, 2004

Avoid Symmetry, Allow Complexity, Introduce Terror
Divines are already roughly 1.5x the cost of exalts in standard. Next league is gonna be absolutely wild

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007

Disappointing, guess there will be no Flicker for me until PoE2 or something

And I appreciate the advice but there's no loving shot I will ever invest in learning PoE again the way I used to. I had Time back then and I didn't value it that high, now I don't have it and value it appropriately higher. I would rather play any of a dozen other games at that point. Plus I've learned from my last few attempts at playing PoE that I will probably burn out right around the time I run into Maven for the first time anyway, so it would be a bit of a waste of time.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
Path of Exile: 3.19 - breaking divine wind at the lake of kalandra (BOAT LEAGUE)

Dr. Mantis Toboggan
May 5, 2003

totalnewbie posted:

Some things are better targets for slams than others. Clusters, for example, are notoriously good for slamming, as are jewels in general.

Having cheap slams also gives the possibility of looking for 3-4 mod items that have POTENTIAL and actually manifesting that potential. With the next league mechanic, you may also want to slam before throwing them at the league mechanic and hope your hybrid accuracy gets sacrificed so you can get 110 str on your ring.

Prior to this change, when you had 2ex and a 3-mod item with potential, you multi-modded it and got yourself an item that is better than at least 90% of the outcomes you would have gotten by slamming those exalts on it instead, with no risk of bricking it.

I agree that good jewels and cluster jewels should be a lot cheaper to make, which is good.

Also this absolutely owns.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005
Did they walk back any of the "we're gonna make league challenges absolute cancer" poo poo?

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

That podium microtransaction made me laugh so hard. Looking forward to the one that makes your character walk into the UI of other players and wave hello while leaning against the health orb.

marshalljim
Mar 6, 2013

yospos
Anything interesting looking good for ssf league starter?

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

Papercut posted:

Did they walk back any of the "we're gonna make league challenges absolute cancer" poo poo?

they said the challenges announcement will be later, so TBD

Krolm
Nov 10, 2004

friendly and non-threatening

Bleak Gremlin

This is..good..for bitcoin?

Zmej
Nov 6, 2005

do we know for certain if harvest has the divine crafts still? I feel like my reaction the exalt/divine change will depend on this answer

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet

Zmej posted:

do we know for certain if harvest has the divine crafts still? I feel like my reaction the exalt/divine change will depend on this answer

They haven't not specified what the list of Harvest craft changes are, but based on this, I'd say don't expect the Divine crafts to survive the axe (e: or what Cinara said below):

quote:

Leo's Betrayal Research Safehouse crafting bench rewards have been replaced. They no longer Randomise the numeric values of the Implicit Modifiers of an item, randomise the numeric values of the Random Modifiers of an item, or Augment a Rare item with a new Random Modifier. Instead, they now Reforge the colours of, number of, or links between sockets on an item 50 times, using the outcome with the greatest number of less-common socket colours, sockets, or linked sockets respectively.

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007

Zmej posted:

We do not, but I am going to make a guess that if Harvest Divines are still in, they use the Oshabi juice.

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

Energy Leech Support being turned on means that Soul Drinker is also a great damage node for a lot of skills. I think Trickster is going to be very good.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
I thought maybe I had missed what harvest crafts got axed.

The fact that they didn't include it in the details feels like one of those "try to keep semi-quiet about the nerfs to not dampen league launch".

CubeTheory
Mar 26, 2010

Cube Reversal

Insurrectionist posted:

Since I finally have some free time this leaguestart so I've decided this will finally be the league I play Flicker Strike for the first time. Does anyone have a decent idea of how to leaguestart Flicker?

So the biggest thing about running Flicker Strike is what you are using for frenzy charge generation. You have a couple of ways to go about this, probably the simplest way is to play Slayer and buy a The Golden Rule jewel and The Red Trail boots. This is right at the limits of what you want, The Red Trail boots are usually around 10c at league start and are level 68. This will immediately enable Flicker Strike though, all you need is some bleed chance and the engine is done. The other ways are to use very expensive uniques (Forbidden Shako, Farrul's Fur), or stack Frenzy Charge on Hit mods. For clear, Blood Rage will pretty much sustain you, it's just single target that becomes the problem. Flicker Strike itself has some frenzy charge on hit, and it's quality improves this further. Poacher's Mark also gives frenzy charges on hit. There are some unique gloves called Careless Feast that strip evasion from a target, and once it's gone you get a ton of frenzy charge on hit chance. There is also Oro's Sacrifice and Terminus Est, both easy frenzy charge generators, but in my experience they require building around them but aren't actually good long term solutions.

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

CubeTheory posted:

So the biggest thing about running Flicker Strike is what you are using for frenzy charge generation. You have a couple of ways to go about this, probably the simplest way is to play Slayer and buy a The Golden Rule jewel and The Red Trail boots. This is right at the limits of what you want, The Red Trail boots are usually around 10c at league start and are level 68. This will immediately enable Flicker Strike though, all you need is some bleed chance and the engine is done. The other ways are to use very expensive uniques (Forbidden Shako, Farrul's Fur), or stack Frenzy Charge on Hit mods. For clear, Blood Rage will pretty much sustain you, it's just single target that becomes the problem. Flicker Strike itself has some frenzy charge on hit, and it's quality improves this further. Poacher's Mark also gives frenzy charges on hit. There are some unique gloves called Careless Feast that strip evasion from a target, and once it's gone you get a ton of frenzy charge on hit chance. There is also Oro's Sacrifice and Terminus Est, both easy frenzy charge generators, but in my experience they require building around them but aren't actually good long term solutions.

Don't forget 10% from mark mastery

CubeTheory
Mar 26, 2010

Cube Reversal

Arzachel posted:

Don't forget 10% from mark mastery

Yeah, you can also get a little bit from alt quality Blood Rage. There are a ton of tricks here and there to gain more.

CubeTheory
Mar 26, 2010

Cube Reversal
Also there is a forbidden, secret option: stack cooldown with alt quality Flicker Strike. I may or may not be looking at this right now.

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
ex slamming sucked rear end because if an item (except for a good jewel) was good enough to risk an ex on to make it better, it was probably good enough to metamod/prefix or suffix lock into harvest reforge/conq slam/aisling finish/etc. if we do end up with ex slams costing like 10c or whatever, i could totally see people yoloing slams on okay-ish items early league, and that should be pretty funny.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
Teleport range (divergent) by far feels better than the other alt qualities.

As for multimodding 3 mod items, you can still do this. They didn't take it away. It might cost "3ex" instead of 2 now but it's still an option.

Good examples of jewelry you might ex slam is good suffixes and a single good life roll prefix. If ex is cheap, you could just slam on a second prefix and hope for something moderately useful. Maybe conq ex is an option but the ring may not be good enough for that option at that point in the league. Previously, it would never have been good enough for an ex slam so you're just kind of stuck with the open prefix but now you could at least hit mana or es or something that is marginally beneficial.

I'm just saying, ex slams being more accessible has legitimate upsides that I think people are underestimating. Hell, I hit T1 es (bis) on an Aug Def so the dream can come true :D

totalnewbie fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Aug 12, 2022

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
actually, at 10c ex slams, we might see people slamming maps consistently, which should eventually drive up the price

CubeTheory
Mar 26, 2010

Cube Reversal
You know, I feel kind of bad for the Brother's Stash guy with this change to the value of exalted orbs.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
golem builds still good y/n

anything new to the meta?

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!
I've got a couple of questions if anyone's done a Doriyani's prototype build before, preferably in scourge:

How big is the Lightning resist aura? Is it enough I won't have to worry too much about it, or will I have to be slightly close to whatever I'm fighting?

Is the name of the game stacking as much -res as possible or is there a negative bound that it's capped to?

Do you go whole hog into armor or go for Divine Flesh to mitigate Lightning?

CubeTheory
Mar 26, 2010

Cube Reversal

Deki posted:

I've got a couple of questions if anyone's done a Doriyani's prototype build before, preferably in scourge:

How big is the Lightning resist aura? Is it enough I won't have to worry too much about it, or will I have to be slightly close to whatever I'm fighting?

Is the name of the game stacking as much -res as possible or is there a negative bound that it's capped to?

Negative resistances are capped at -200. I know several prototype builds use Divine Flesh to help mitigate the lightning damage, some use talismans to completely remove it. With armor being so much better it's probably easier.

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

CF Gladiator looks interesting and untouched (?), but the most robust video guide I could find has a big "you're going to engage with crafting a ton to make this playable" caveat at the beginning. Is this true for this build, any more than it is for basically any other build that leans on rares (i.e. 99% of them)?

an iksar marauder
May 6, 2022

An iksar marauder glowers at you dubiously -- looks like quite a gamble.

CubeTheory posted:

You know, I feel kind of bad for the Brother's Stash guy with this change to the value of exalted orbs.

It's still a really fun card to find. And GGG is known to make card droprates depend on the value of what the card represents.

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe

Deki posted:

I did arakaali's fang prototype without Divine Flesh in scourge and my solution to non-hit lightning damage was to die, basically. It only ever really comes up twice in my experience--the Mineral Pools boss and Shaper's big yellow laser. Really good build otherwise, though the single-target was being carried by the divergent melee splash/hydrosphere interaction that it seems they've finally got around to putting a stake through.

Chernobyl Peace Prize posted:

CF Gladiator looks interesting and untouched (?), but the most robust video guide I could find has a big "you're going to engage with crafting a ton to make this playable" caveat at the beginning. Is this true for this build, any more than it is for basically any other build that leans on rares (i.e. 99% of them)?

CF champion is a lot less rare-dependent and stronger at lower budgets I think unless the unique item changes make haemophilia expensive somehow, and then you can respec into gladiator if you decide you want to push the build to much higher gear levels.

Reiterpallasch fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Aug 12, 2022

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
I don't have PoE installed on this laptop...

1) Is the Mystery Box when you spend points sale active right now?

2) Will it work if I buy something over the website now, without being able to launch the game for a week?

3) Weta Pet on sale at 2 points is definitely the cheapest thing I can buy for the box, right?

Deki posted:

Prototype expert here...

The Aura is pretty generous but you can't use minions/ranged to attack near the edges of the screen, you'll have to stand closer to bosses than you might like to. You can always mouse over any enemy and it will have "vulnerable to lightning" if you're close enough, since no enemy in the game is immune to the effect. I don't know range units off the top of my head but it's like 30-foot radius.

Negative lightning res is capped at -200%. You don't need to go THAT low to get great results from it, but anything in the negative is literally a damage multiplier. Melding of the Flesh gives you -80% in a jewel so that's a nice one, but it nerfs max res now. A nice budget option is correctly rolled Malachai's Artifice rings to boost Fire/Cold while lowering lightning. They are usually far cheaper than ideal Ventor's Gambles.

Armour will save you from a lot of quick and small lightning-strike hits like that Beyond guy who spams Storm Call, but large lightning hits, and DOTs like Baran's mana runes and Shock and Horror laser beam will own you nearly instantly. If you want to be safer, you can use Divine Flesh, and Mahuxotl's Machination is back in the game as well. I think a lot of people just take their chances that they won't run into huge lightning or dots that often. But take note that the rare monster modifiers being changed around so much could mess up your plans.

Zero VGS fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Aug 12, 2022

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet

Zero VGS posted:

I don't have PoE installed on this laptop...

1) Is the Mystery Box when you spend points sale active right now?

2) Will it work if I buy something over the website now, without being able to launch the game for a week?

3) Weta Pet on sale at 2 points is definitely the cheapest thing I can buy for the box, right?

Yes to all 3.

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

Reiterpallasch posted:

CF champion is a lot less rare-dependent and stronger at lower budgets I think unless the unique item changes make haemophilia expensive somehow, and then you can respec into gladiator if you decide you want to push the build to much higher gear levels.
Oh sick

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

xZAOx posted:

I thought maybe I had missed what harvest crafts got axed.

The fact that they didn't include it in the details feels like one of those "try to keep semi-quiet about the nerfs to not dampen league launch".

when have they ever done this at all lol

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES

when have they ever done this at all lol

Not done which part? Usually I feel like they give pretty good details on all their changes, at least public ones. Like, I'm sure drop rates and poo poo are constantly changing, but they don't tell us any of that.

If you just mean about "don't kill the hype", after the last big nerf league (3.16?), they said one of their lessons learned was to, well, not kill their own hype. I remember post that we got a Harvest manifesto-thingy a bit before the typical manifesto and announcement, so the internet rage could have died down in time. Them not telling us in the notes what all was removed feels like another one of those.

Not a big deal either way, we'll find out soon enough, but still feels like a "we're purposefully not saying which ones were removed to dampen at least a little internet rage pre-launch."

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

They spent a year saying "making harvest crafts tradable means we're going to have to heavily nerf them" so now that they're tradable they're definitely going to be heavily nerfed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Ignore my doomerism, I don't think better things are possible

Philthy posted:

golem builds still good y/n

anything new to the meta?

Not sure if they can still be good when they weren't good before. Carrion Golems took several rounds of nerfs, Elementalist's golem nodes got nerfed, Stone Golem got nerfed. There is a reason Anima Stone was a 25c gem at the start of the league.

The change to the way charges work on minions in this patch is another nerf, so it remains to be seen how much power you can get from reasonably attainable gear. With the new gearing, golems will need to be quite a bit stronger than they were last league to be good.