Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

It took me a second to get the joke. It was pretty well crafted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Arivia posted:

this is a weird first post in the thread.

Arivia posted:

Then we'd have to PvP because I'm playing Pontius Pilate.
Of course the one playing as Pontius Pilate would claim not to know that idiom. 🙄

Edit:

Xiahou Dun posted:

It took me a second to get the joke. It was pretty well crafted.

Sorry, I think we're working at Cross purposes.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Nailed it.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

I disagree, I think we made a messiah of it.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
Yep I missed it. Did not know that idiom was from Pilate. My apologies.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Eh, don't worry about it. This whole conversation's noncanonical anyways.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

girl dick energy posted:

Eh, don't worry about it. This whole conversation's noncanonical anyways.

I don't think that matters one iota.

Arivia posted:

Yep I missed it. Did not know that idiom was from Pilate. My apologies.

That's okay, I'll turn the other cheek.

I've found that if you don't know the provenance of an English word or phrase, it's often the Bible. Failing that, it's probably Shakespeare or Mark Twain - who may well be referencing the Bible.

Funny thing though, even though I haven't been posting in this thread, I think I participated in the discussion that spawned it from another thread. Everyone who has been participating is a lot more knowledgeable about politics and tabletop games than I am, so I really haven't had much to add. Although I want to play Root now.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Son of a Vondruke! posted:

How does every playthrough not turn into the party defending Jesus at all costs. That's what I'd do. Just to be contrarian.

https://youtu.be/dIeuBPDUzB0

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

Epicurius posted:

There's nothing stopping you from just throwing a fireball at the guy. As mentioned elsewhere, tjojgh, Jesus does habe the ability to get out of combat whenever he wants.

That being said, the game points out that Jesus has to be killed. He doesn't have to be crucified. If the PCs kill Jesus, that doesn't derail the adventure

If Jesus doesn't die on a cross but instead by getting cut in half by a greataxe, Christianity gets a lot more badass symbol to wear around and put on church walls

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Piell posted:

If Jesus doesn't die on a cross but instead by getting cut in half by a greataxe, Christianity gets a lot more badass symbol to wear around and put on church walls

Because an ancient and brutal torture and execution device is SOOOO wussy.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Piell posted:

So would Catholics included the decapitated Jesus head with the axe and Protestants go with just the axe?

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Everything old is new again.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

Randalor posted:

Because an ancient and brutal torture and execution device is SOOOO wussy.

When you wear it on a necklace or whatever its literally just the letter t, an axe is cooler

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Piell posted:

When you wear it on a necklace or whatever its literally just the letter t, an axe is cooler

Especially when it's a labrys.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Tabletop Games: Axes Have Some Weird Politics

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Piell posted:

But that's just a capital T. Same goes for hammers

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

Tnega posted:

Good, now you too can wield a +2 rear end jawbone. How do they approach the warlock class? Can I be indentured to a djinn?

They got that covered already in Tasha's.

Servetus
Apr 1, 2010
I have to ask:. What was the druid subclass they added? Because druids, or nature focused religion in general, isn't really a thing in the Bible.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Servetus posted:

I have to ask:. What was the druid subclass they added? Because druids, or nature focused religion in general, isn't really a thing in the Bible.

As a guess, either someone thought that the Easter Bunny and the Christmas Tree originated in some way in the Bible, or someone wanted to incorporate Moses' acts into the game (Rain of Frogs, Parting the Red Sea, drawing water from a stone, ect) and Druid was the closest fit?

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

Servetus posted:

It's called the Cucle of the Baptist and meant to represent the variant itinerant baptizers (not limited to John the Baptist) who were wandering around Judea. Your Wild Shape can be used to give you a transcendent form. You get temporary hit points, and advantage on Charisma rolls and concentration roles.

At 6th level, you gain the ability to baptize others. There are certain bodies of water that are holy. If you baptize someone in one of those places, they gain a permanent bonus that lasts unless they're baptized again somewhere else.

At 6th level, you also gain the ability, if you cast an area of effect water spell that causes damage, to choose people (like the other PCs or bystanders) so that it won't affect them.

At 10th level, you get an enhancemt to that so that the people you pick are healed of hitpoints equal to half your druid level. At level 14, your transcendent body wildshape gets better by gaining a bonus to all saving throws based on your wisdom modifier, and if, in that form, you cast any spells dealing damage, you inflict additional radiant damage equal to half your druid level.

Epicurius fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Aug 12, 2022

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice
I'll also point out that you aren't required to play a Jewish character. Most if the prestige classes added to this book, except for the Spartan, yhe Vanguard and the Magi are Jewish focused but if you want to play, say, a druid priestess of Demeter or something like that, you can.

Epicurius fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Aug 12, 2022

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Huh... that splatbook doesn't actually sound that bad. Now I feel a little bad for making fun of the idea of a Biblical-based splatbook.

Only a little, mind you. The Bible is still full of weird poo poo and those were all valid references to actual biblical events.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

Randalor posted:

Huh... that splatbook doesn't actually sound that bad. Now I feel a little bad for making fun of the idea of a Biblical-based splatbook.

Only a little, mind you. The Bible is still full of weird poo poo and those were all valid references to actual biblical events.

I get your hesitation. A lot of explicitly Christian role playing games have been pretty bad. This one isn't great, I don't think. It's very much focused around the adventure that it wants you to go on, and it gets some factual information about the region wrong. I forgive it a lot, though, because of the attitude of its creators, which is basically, "we're evangelical Christians who like playing RPGs and figured something set in the time of Jesus would be fun. We reference a lot of stuff in the Bible, but we're having fun with a lot of it and hope you do too
"
I also like the fact the book starts off with a conversation about red lines, consent and player comfort, and that its the DM's job to make sure that it's a safe table for their players. More books are explicitly saying that these days, and that's a good thing. Additionally, the game has a faction reputation system, with benefits for a good reputation and penalties for a bad one, which is a fun touch.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I don't forgive it because, setting religion aside, this stuff is just a repeat of the D20 glut and it sucks.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

I have never seen this before :lmao:

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

Halloween Jack posted:

I don't forgive it because, setting religion aside, this stuff is just a repeat of the D20 glut and it sucks.

It's still an incredibly popular system.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Absurd Alhazred posted:

I have never seen this before :lmao:

Mad TV wasn't always great and maybe had two really good years, but when they nailed it they nailed it.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Sodomy Hussein posted:

Mad TV wasn't always great and maybe had two really good years, but when they nailed it they nailed it.

I remember liking it better than SNL for the most part, and stuff like the Spy vs Spy cartoons were consistently funny, though some of the recurring sketches they had were just... wtf?

Edit: I looked up some of the sketches and... oof. I feel bad for enjoying this show as an idiot 10+ year old when it first aired. I'm honestly surprised it lasted 14 seasons.

Randalor fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Aug 12, 2022

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS

Arivia posted:

I saw this image in a review of it elsewhere:

poo poo, a Yeshua bin Yousef that actually looks Middle Eastern. They get points just for that.

Jeff the Mediocre
Dec 30, 2013

Is there an RPG expansion book for the Book of Mormon?

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.
That's just Dragonlance.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Jeff the Mediocre posted:

Is there an RPG expansion book for the Book of Mormon?

That’s Dragonlance.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Halloween Jack posted:

Yes, only approved folks should be able to create D&D material. :jerkbag:

No, you see, my gatekeeping is different because :circlefap:

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Anyway,

Debate & Discussion > Tabletop Games Have Weird Politics: If the players bring about Jesus' death, great!

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Sodomy Hussein posted:

Debate & Discussion > Tabletop Games Have Weird Politics: If the players bring about Jesus' death, great!
Mods, please.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Sodomy Hussein posted:

I endorse this.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Randalor posted:

I remember liking it better than SNL for the most part, and stuff like the Spy vs Spy cartoons were consistently funny, though some of the recurring sketches they had were just... wtf?

Edit: I looked up some of the sketches and... oof. I feel bad for enjoying this show as an idiot 10+ year old when it first aired. I'm honestly surprised it lasted 14 seasons.
Yeah it's legit pretty amazing how like SNL has a lot of oof ouch owie racism but then MadTV was just deeply and unapologetically racist/various forms of -ist for even the time it aired.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Hostile V posted:

Yeah it's legit pretty amazing how like SNL has a lot of oof ouch owie racism but then MadTV was just deeply and unapologetically racist/various forms of -ist for even the time it aired.

Even though there's still a lot of bad poo poo going on, and there's a really intense reactionary movement against it, pro-inclusion standards and standards against bigotry have come a long way really really quickly.

Edit: Evergreen tweet -
https://twitter.com/CBThorburn/status/1377696492295761923?s=20&t=Lk2OgteDMJTKjlDpYuxNmA

Trazz
Jun 11, 2008

Sodomy Hussein posted:

Anyway,

Agreed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KobunFan
Aug 13, 2022
I think one of the more interesting things about playing a game with Christian themes in it is you have to all agree to what lore you are dealing with, because a lot of the popular images of Christianity don't come from anything near a source written by someone in authority. A lot of it comes from Dante's trilogy.

In addition, looking at that Jesus statblock and more specifically the thing about trying to read his mind, I was reminded of the Inferno White Wolf book and how it mainly went around how to play someone who had a demon on their shoulder, whispering temptations, but you could try an angel instead and that would arguably be even worse for the person. A demon might let the person do good if it thinks it can use that to get them to sin later on but angels would hardly be that lenient.

KobunFan fucked around with this message at 05:28 on Aug 13, 2022