Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
Looks like Trump gave his warrant to Brietbart and they published it without redacting all the agents names.
So prepare for some retaliation on them.

e:
https://www.donaldjtrump.com/news/news-nnj9fypacy0

"President Barack Hussein Obama kept 33 million pages of documents, much of them classified.
How many of them pertained to nuclear? Word is, lots!"

He barely even updates this site now that he can spew garbage on Truth Social.
But seemingly this was they best they could come up with today.

OgNar fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Aug 12, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

Oh my god the Archives literally knew Trump was holding back because they numbered the boxes sequentially and some of them were missing :froggonk:

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

Quorum posted:

Oh my god the Archives literally knew Trump was holding back because they numbered the boxes sequentially and some of them were missing :froggonk:

Are those archive numbers or the FBI boxing poo poo up and labeling them?

I guess the former because what the FBI recovered aren't in perfect sequence.

But now I want to know what makes it's way into box A1 👀

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

cr0y posted:

Yeah from context I assume the former. It also fits with the narrative we already have of the Archives demanding the stuff back, getting stuff back, and then sitting down to catalog it only to realize very quickly that a lot of records were missing.

We certainly don't have hard evidence that the number scheme was the giveaway but, uh, it's extremely plausible that some archivist had to send the DOJ a note asking them to go back and find Pig Number Seven

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

OgNar posted:

Looks like Trump gave his warrant to Brietbart and they published it without redacting all the agents names.
So prepare for some retaliation on them.

e:
https://www.donaldjtrump.com/news/news-nnj9fypacy0

"President Barack Hussein Obama kept 33 million pages of documents, much of them classified.
How many of them pertained to nuclear? Word is, lots!"

Oh, word? Lots? Well poo poo. And Obama's middle name is Hussein? First I've heard of it. I would have thought that might have been brought up at some point. How was I not aware of this? Is that on his birth certificate? I mean, assuming he even has one.

The plot thickens

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
Kind of a good summary of the current legal craziness
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VwWcOLFPfMs

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!
Unsealed, the attacks have begun. https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/poli...cks/ar-AA10BcBv

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
https://twitter.com/henryrodgersdc/status/1558198629583699968

Lol. I hope she does it. I don't think she'd get even most of GOPers onboard with this.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Do higher up Repubs hate true believers as much as everyone else?

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

Madkal posted:

I don't think anyone actually likes M:TG or Boebert or Gaetz. Even people who vote for them do so because they relish the pain they intend to inflict, not because of any affection or connection with those glassy-eyed psychopaths.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

He definitely stole nuclear secrets.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Labeling the archive boxes 1, 2, and 4 and laughing as the FBI launches raids to find number 3

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

Made them wait outside in the heat LIKE DOGS

He is about to face the wrath of the judicial decimal system

What sucks is we will probably never know specifically what it is that he had because you know, it's uber ultra mega classified

cr0y fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Aug 13, 2022

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

Quorum posted:

Funny, that's verbatim one of the ways Andrew Torrez speculated NARA could have known certain boxes were missing from the set they collected this January on the Opening Arguments episode released today.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Madkal posted:

This is a good question and something I've wondered about myself.

I think that, to a certain extent, the GOP power base and moneyed interests might be a little squeamish and embarrassed abut the frankenstein monsters they've unleashed and, to a lesser degree, some of the media and the pundits say or how they report. But not to the extent that they'll completely denounce it or take a hard line on it. We've seen some companies and corporations draw some faint and weak lines in the sand here and there but people like Liz Cheney or Mitt Romney - run of the mill regular old normal bog standard Republican ghouls - are being primaried left and right for even the slightest hints of appearing even remotely reasonable. And I don't suspect I'll see a Republican nominee for president that is to the left of Atilla the Hun in my foreseeable lifetime.

I think we're stuck with the Trump/DeSantis quarterbacks and the MTG/Gaetz backfield now. I mean, name the top 10 or 15 most recognizable names RIGHT NOW.

It's a problem for them but I'm honestly not certain how big of one and is largely centered around how it effects certain folks' bottom line.

But the trend and the tendency I see with increasing regularity seems more centered around softening and normalizing the crazy than any real effort to weed this out or finally cut the poo poo. The Democrats keep trying run on appealing over and over again to some mythical "center", which only normalizes this poo poo more. I think the "true believers" and the power players you're wondering about will work on the image, marketing and making it more palatable than rotting these psychos out because they NEED them. It's their base now more than ever, and I think it'll be more about polishing these turds up as opposed to flushing the bowl.

And they really don't have to do much so long as the opposition sucks as bad as it does. Roughly half the country is mean, stupid and and angry - on board with it anyway - and all they have to do is trot someone out there who can beat the likes of Joe Biden, Hillary Clinton or Kamala Harris.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Madkal posted:

Some probably do, some probably don't. But at this point, the true believers have been around for so long that they have had a fair bit of say over who gets to be the higher-ups.

Aside from Trump himself, a pretty good example is how Boehner spent much of 2015 feuding with the Freedom Caucus and was eventually driven out of the Speaker of the House position by them. And McCarthy, who was thought to be the favorite to replace him, ended up having to drop his candidacy because the Freedom Caucus refused to support him. In the end, the Freedom Caucus played kingmaker and gave the Speakership to Paul Ryan, who was more palatable to them.

Things like that obviously cheese off many of the people who had a good shot at the top leadership. But at the same time, they attract plenty of sycophants who think they can pay Trump some lip service and ride his wave right to the top. And there's no doubt that there's some people who fall into both camps - resenting the way their careers have been derailed by the rise of the insurgent right, but ambitious enough to hitch themselves to that wagon in hopes that they'll be able to control it and benefit from it.

By many accounts, both McCarthy and Trump have slammed each other in private - but they still acted friendly even after Jan 6, as long as they thought there was any potential advantage in using each other.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Main Paineframe posted:

Some probably do, some probably don't. But at this point, the true believers have been around for so long that they have had a fair bit of say over who gets to be the higher-ups.

Aside from Trump himself, a pretty good example is how Boehner spent much of 2015 feuding with the Freedom Caucus and was eventually driven out of the Speaker of the House position by them. And McCarthy, who was thought to be the favorite to replace him, ended up having to drop his candidacy because the Freedom Caucus refused to support him. In the end, the Freedom Caucus played kingmaker and gave the Speakership to Paul Ryan, who was more palatable to them.

Things like that obviously cheese off many of the people who had a good shot at the top leadership. But at the same time, they attract plenty of sycophants who think they can pay Trump some lip service and ride his wave right to the top. And there's no doubt that there's some people who fall into both camps - resenting the way their careers have been derailed by the rise of the insurgent right, but ambitious enough to hitch themselves to that wagon in hopes that they'll be able to control it and benefit from it.

By many accounts, both McCarthy and Trump have slammed each other in private - but they still acted friendly even after Jan 6, as long as they thought there was any potential advantage in using each other.

Add to that the reason why McCarthy is where he is now is because every other person in line ahead of him was brutally dispatched either by Trump himself or the even crazier fringes of the Republican base, and his ascension to power if/when the Republicans take the House in November is not a sure thing either, because a large number of folks in the "Sit down, Kevin, you utter loving clown" caucus are still in power around him.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010
This nuclear weapons documents scandal is essentially perfect. It’s easily understood and something everyone knows is real bad and they even execute people for it. It’s such a sticky mess that even Teflon Don can’t slide away from it.

The media is going to run with it forever if allowed and the dems are loving incompetent idiots if they don’t just jump on it every chance they get for the next couple of YEARS.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!
Most of the Republican senators clearly hate Trump, there are more true believers in the house.

Like Hawley is a nazi but he also wants to run for president, and he has no chance at that as long as Trump is around.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Murgos posted:

the dems are loving incompetent idiots

Uglycat
Dec 4, 2000
MORE INDISPUTABLE PROOF I AM BAD AT POSTING
---------------->
in a 6-3 decision, the supreme court will rule that it's 'cruel and unusual punishment' (on account of his large body and weak neck) to hang trump from the neck until dead

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Uglycat posted:

in a 6-3 decision, the supreme court will rule that it's 'cruel and unusual punishment' (on account of his large body and weak neck) to hang trump from the neck until dead

bloodlust aside, this is literally what hanging charts are for

slightly premodern / early modern societies decided to scientifically figure out how to not strangle hanged people to death (inhumane) or pop their heads off from the drop (very humane, not necessarily ideal for the audience or the janitors)

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
I have an oddly specific dislike of Iran et al executing people by crane because motherfuckers they worked out the math on how to hang people humanely in like 1500

Uglycat
Dec 4, 2000
---------------->

GreyjoyBastard posted:

slightly premodern / early modern societies decided to scientifically figure out how to not strangle hanged people to death (inhumane) or pop their heads off from the drop (very humane, not necessarily ideal for the audience or the janitors)

The reason the case reaches the Supreme Court is because Donald Trump insists he's 6'8, 220 lbs of muscle, brings doctors in to testify that he's 6'8 220 and in /perfect/ shape /for a 20-year-old/, and takes the fifth when asked to step on a scale or be measured in any way.

As for advocating for execution, it's not that I want to watch him hang. I just want him to go away forever and the MAGA qanon chud movement to sunset (which would deal a severe blow to the present tide of fascism). It's the 'art of the deal' thing. In negotiation, you wanna be first to speak, and you wanna go big.

Trump has exploited this a lot. I wanna see him beat. So I wanna see his opposition make the first bid, and to bid big. I have no strong objection to Pete commuting Trump's sentance to life in prison. I'm okay with him being locked up for life under a charge other than Treason - but Treason is the right charge, especially since the GOP Senators have refused the only other legal course to denying a bad-faith-actor the right to hold public office.

And the Founders absolutely, definitely considered how awful it would be for a bad-faith-actor to hold public office, and specifically put two different processes by which a bad-faith-actor can be forbidden from public office. And the GOP Senators have 'cut off' one of those processes. So, the Founders would absolutely pursue Treason charges under present circumstances, given present evidence. And swearing a public oath is a big, big part of that. Establish precedence where persons who swear a public oath to the us constitution are held to a higher standard than someone born in the country and sympathetic to radical movements. In fact, that precedence is already there - with members of the US Military. Like, Trump is clearly more deserving of punishment than Chelsea Manning - but if you surveyed people who swore the same oath Chelsea did, they think she got off light. In fact, that specific mindset, built on an established precedent - led to her torture.

e- there's a reason Washington is compared to Cincinnatus, and a reason Adams surrendering the office is regarded as the 'Second American Revolution.' THESE set a precedent that Donald disregarded. To those who still believe in the rose-glasses view of the US Constitution (and institutions formed by its authors), breaking *that* precedent - was his gravest sin.

Death.

Uglycat fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Aug 13, 2022

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

cr0y posted:

But now I want to know what makes it's way into box A1 👀

If the FBI numbered them, why is there no box #4?

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Charlz Guybon posted:

If the FBI numbered them, why is there no box #4?

Second receipt shows box 4. Presumably a different location & agents collecting.

Uglycat
Dec 4, 2000
---------------->
The reason the penalties are so high - is because the risk is especially grave.

Whatever damage Donald /could/ have done with these documents - he likely already has.

And it's likely to have a severe impact on the future.

Pyrtanis
Jun 30, 2007

The ghosts of our glories are gray-bearded guides
Fun Shoe
What's the odds that once the boxes are evaluated, there's poo poo missing out of them?

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

mdemone posted:

Second receipt shows box 4. Presumably a different location & agents collecting.
Ah, thanks. I missed it

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

GreyjoyBastard posted:

This does not, however, mean that these principles were necessarily followed.

For example, the top US military executioner in Europe during WWII was notorious for botched hangings, because he didn't really know how to hang people properly. He lied when he claimed to have prior experience with executions, presumably in hopes of getting out of combat duty, and the Army didn't really care even after he developed a reputation for messy executions. It especially stood out compared to the British executioners, who were career hangmen and extremely professional about it.

If there's a silver lining in this story, it's that he was still hangman when the Nuremberg Trials happened, and the American executioners were the ones chosen to carry out the death sentences.

Uglycat
Dec 4, 2000
---------------->
So I mentioned a few days ago that on fb, saying "Donald Trump should be charged with treason, convicted, and e*icuted" would, when reported by chuds, result in a temp ban for "promoting violence", but that writing "Donald Trump should be charged with treason, convicted, and handed the harshest sentence elucidated in the US Constitution" stays up.

Well, new info on that... magaheads, being unable to take the comment down, instead reply "for what?"

Which is awesome, cause you can reply "for treason, as outlined in the US constitution" and you can keep them going around in circles. It's very laurel and hardy. Highly recommend.

Edit: and when they ask questions worth a drat, you can drop links

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Uglycat posted:

So I mentioned a few days ago that on fb, saying "Donald Trump should be charged with treason, convicted, and e*icuted" would, when reported by chuds, result in a temp ban for "promoting violence", but that writing "Donald Trump should be charged with treason, convicted, and handed the harshest sentence elucidated in the US Constitution" stays up.

Well, new info on that... magaheads, being unable to take the comment down, instead reply "for what?"

Which is awesome, cause you can reply "for treason, as outlined in the US constitution" and you can keep them going around in circles. It's very laurel and hardy. Highly recommend.

Edit: and when they ask questions worth a drat, you can drop links

The second amendment says nothing about treason and if there are any other parts of the Constitution, they are fake and I don't want to hear about them

steinrokkan fucked around with this message at 08:27 on Aug 13, 2022

kartikeya
Mar 17, 2009

I think you'll find that the Second Amendment says that everyone should have a gun on their person at all times so that they can overthrow the government while purging the undesirables. The purpose of this is to feed a bloodthirsty tree so that it might keep the country strong with capitalism.

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!

GreyjoyBastard posted:

I have an oddly specific dislike of Iran et al executing people by crane because motherfuckers they worked out the math on how to hang people humanely in like 1500
You don't even need to fully understand the math! There are tables and graphical calculators!

(The large issues are rope size, material, tightness of the knot. Rope also elongates under tension, so there's a lot to consider.)

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

PhantomOfTheCopier posted:

You don't even need to fully understand the math! There are tables and graphical calculators!

(The large issues are rope size, material, tightness of the knot. Rope also elongates under tension, so there's a lot to consider.)

Where do you dispose of your "experiments"? The boring usual crawl space, or have you found a better place?

Uglycat
Dec 4, 2000
---------------->
reasonable guesses for trump's height and weight?

#girther

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

So working backwards in this.

The FBI raid MAL seeking documents, some of which may contain Nuclear secrets.

The rumours were that Trump wanted to sell this information or was in the process of brokering a deal to sell it on.

If that were true, is a possible reason he did so that he has the inside track on how the Jan 6th/New York Tax Investigation/ Trump University Investigations are going and was told "he is going to need a lot of money".

And potentially, in the speediest and least suitable way of raising money possible,m he looked around his home to see what he could sell and saw a big old box of presidential material and his eyes turned into cartoons style dollar signs?

Does this seem pretty plausible?

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018
Honestly I think he took them because he could, and didn't give them back because he didn't want to.

Uglycat
Dec 4, 2000
---------------->

jarlywarly posted:

Honestly I think he took them because he could, and didn't give them back because he didn't want to.

Reasonable speculation.

What's the likelihood, in your estimation, that the dox sat undisturbed and nobody disloyal had the opportunity to peruse them and no copies were made or exist?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Uglycat posted:

Reasonable speculation.

What's the likelihood, in your estimation, that the dox sat undisturbed and nobody disloyal had the opportunity to peruse them and no copies were made or exist?

I picture it being sort of like a lovely teenager trying to impress someone by showing them their dad's gun that they pulled out of its hiding spot. Or a lovely dude showing off nude pictures of an ex. The guy seems to thrive on transgression.

I think it's very likely that he showed other people, and that's why the insider informant knew. It's less likely that he made copies, because that takes away from his special secret sinful stash.