Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Frosted Flake posted:

I don’t know what it is about Peter Jackson but the preproduction and production design for those films was incredible, absolutely incredible. I don’t know how they knew to expect that from his previous films, but that dedication made those movies work.

Lightning in a bottle. He assembled an incredibly talented team and had the right combination of talented people and people that desperately wanted to prove they belonged in their profession so everyone worked their loving asses off for years and for much less than probably any of them were worth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

The LOTR movies are still insanely good. Don't really know what happened with the hobbit though.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

AnimeIsTrash posted:

The LOTR movies are still insanely good. Don't really know what happened with the hobbit though.

Nobody wanted to make them. Jackson didn't even want to touch the property until Del Toro dropped out and the producers said "hey either you do this or we're giving it to the lowest bidder"
so he had like 6 months to do all of the preproduction rather than the years LotR got and he was more interested in loving with new camera technology than making the movies

mazzi Chart Czar
Sep 24, 2005

AnimeIsTrash posted:

They were great.
Better than LORD OF THE FARTing.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

Nobody wanted to make them. Jackson didn't even want to touch the property until Del Toro dropped out and the producers said "hey either you do this or we're giving it to the lowest bidder"
so he had like 6 months to do all of the preproduction rather than the years LotR got and he was more interested in loving with new camera technology than making the movies

wasn't del toro kicked out? seems like a self-inflicted wound

but they still made a bazillion bucks, sadly.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

StashAugustine posted:

The Northman was also kinda nuts about this, iirc they handmade a Viking longboat and repaired the cast's clothes rather than replaced them

all of robert eggers’ movies have insane period set design, it’s part of the charm

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

The studio also forced it to be 3 films instead of 2. I think somewhere here or elsewhere told me that.

Bohemian Grover
Aug 6, 2022

by Azathoth

mazzi Chart Czar posted:

They were great.
Better than LORD OF THE FARTing.

Maya Fey
Jan 22, 2017

AnimeIsTrash posted:

The studio also forced it to be 3 films instead of 2. I think somewhere here or elsewhere told me that.

one movie could have covered it, there's not much to the book tbh

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
Lindsey Ellis' autopsy of The Hobbit movies was pretty comprehensive as someone who followed the production of them well before their release. She covered most of the behind-the-scenes dramatic beats.

Here's some random playlist with also her LOTR videos, which I guess were okay.
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLkyK9N4BdJHAfAzDzighZjqveVXiwGCSx

FWIW I thought The Hobbit movies were "good enough", and it's hard to pin down when contextualizing it within broader trends in filmmaking.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

Frosted Flake posted:

I don’t know what it is about Peter Jackson but the preproduction and production design for those films was incredible, absolutely incredible. I don’t know how they knew to expect that from his previous films, but that dedication made those movies work.

The Frighteners and Heavenly Creatures had perfect design.

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

Echo Chamber posted:

Lindsey Ellis' autopsy of The Hobbit movies was pretty comprehensive as someone who followed the production of them well before their release. She covered most of the behind-the-scenes dramatic beats.

FWIW I thought The Hobbit movies were "good enough", and it's hard to pin down when contextualizing it within broader trends in filmmaking.

first one is a mess. second one is pretty decent because smaug was fun. third is completely unwatchable dogshit

mazzi Chart Czar
Sep 24, 2005

See you couldn't even post a gif from Lords of the Farting.
That poo poo is from Spoolderman.

mazzi Chart Czar
Sep 24, 2005

AnimeIsTrash posted:

Tolken would have wanted it that way.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Tolkien would have wanted more slurs in the movie, and I agree it would have made the movie better.

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Frosted Flake posted:

he really stretched that budget by flouting union regs

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

There was one shot in the Hobbit movies that looked like it was shot on a GoPro and it was not something I expected from Peter Jackson.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Frosted Flake posted:

There was one shot in the Hobbit movies that looked like it was shot on a GoPro and it was not something I expected from Peter Jackson.

i thought the barrel thing looked like that. also the scenes not involving being in a barrel

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

I thought the barrel sequence was fun, it was like something out of a DKC game

The podrace of the LOTR prequels

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

I used to work for a WB subsidiary (games) and sometimes they would give everybody free blu-rays of a movie, for no special reason other than the obvious unspoken one of "we overinvested in this movie, please take some blu-rays off our hands". Anyway that's why I own the hobbit movies on Blu-ray

Also Horrible Bosses 2 and Clash of the Titans 2 and the hangover 2

Oh and green lantern. Most of these I've never actually watched

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

I keep seeing previews for that new GoT show and good god does it look cheap

who wanted this

who is going to watch it

taking bets on quietly cancelled after the first season airs
or maybe dragged kicking through a second season because the executives that greenlit it can't handle being very wrong about doing that

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Still don't get why they didn't just do the Dunk and Egg stories

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Good soup! posted:

Still don't get why they didn't just do the Dunk and Egg stories

Not enough meat on the bones, I liked those a lot but let's be real they were three short stories

Also I think the three stories had one female character between them and they have to try to win the stillwithher contingent back over after they had Dany do a war crime

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

So shoot 3 short stories as a miniseries, have some dignity, make the same budget further and the show look less cheap.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

What were the stories? Trying to remember without looking them up

Dunk goes to a tourney and meets Egg. Zero ladies.

Dunk and Egg arbitrate a minor real estate conflict in the countryside. One lady.

Dunk and Egg go to a birthday party or something and there's a conspiracy there. Were there ladies in this one? Seems like it should have had ladies

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

they should just rip off The Witcher because that's how you do adult fantasy know

gently caress it have Jon Snow wondering around westeros killing the remnants of the supernatural beasts that escape from the north

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

loquacius posted:

What were the stories? Trying to remember without looking them up

Dunk goes to a tourney and meets Egg. Zero ladies.

Dunk and Egg arbitrate a minor real estate conflict in the countryside. One lady.

Dunk and Egg go to a birthday party or something and there's a conspiracy there. Were there ladies in this one? Seems like it should have had ladies

Needs more DROGO

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

I thought egg goes insane and sets himself on fire trying to hatch dragons

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Nonsense posted:

i thought the barrel thing looked like that. also the scenes not involving being in a barrel

Didn't they upgrade the cameras or something and it was filmed before costumes and props understood that

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
Dick Van Dyke

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022
the hobbit sucks but it gave us some great on cinema content

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=83etthnOEUk

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS

AnimeIsTrash posted:

Jackson turned the dial from 10 to 11

He was the executive producer, he wanted them to be made more than anyone, he even lobbied parliament to keep wages down so he could make it cheaper. He just didn't want to direct at first, but probably didn't like del Toro's tone/decisions, which is why he scrapped them.

Del Toro would have had the balls to keep Fili ugly, and kiss the elf on the lips while still alive :colbert:

Blood Boils has issued a correction as of 02:17 on Aug 13, 2022

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Just watched "Crimes of the Future" and I liked it a lot. Not nearly as grody as people made it out to be. ExistenZ was definitely higher on the grossout charts.

Feels like a thematic counterpart to Bowie's "Outside" album about murder as performance art and given that it was written around the same time I think that's not a coincidence.
I was just a kid in the late 90s so I didn't get the dystopian vibes permeating the art from that era (but I sure as gently caress enjoy it retroactively)

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

https://twitter.com/kattenbarge/status/1558132564136759296?cxt=HHwWgMC45fnTzJ8rAAAA

Holy hell the heard vs depp trial is still being played out amongst the fans.

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS

AnimeIsTrash posted:

Jackson is the founder/head of 2 of the 4 studios involved the hobbits, no one forced him to do that. Look at his ouevre, for all his strengths bloat is a common element!

Echo Chamber posted:

Content warning: Lindsay barely talks about the problems with the actual movies in that whole long rear end series. It's mostly about how the LOTR makes her feel and then the litany of production problems on the set of the hobbits without any real argument for how that effected the finished films.

Like the guy who played Gloin reveals the cast & crew weren't respected and that sucks but what does that have to do with the bad storytelling decisions made by Jackson and his collaboraters on the writing & editing rooms? Like a lot of nerd media it's frustrating how so much time is spent on a subject without ever coming to grips with it.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Blood Boils posted:

Jackson is the founder/head of 2 of the 4 studios involved the hobbits, no one forced him to do that. Look at his ouevre, for all his strengths bloat is a common element!

Content warning: Lindsay barely talks about the problems with the actual movies in that whole long rear end series. It's mostly about how the LOTR makes her feel and then the litany of production problems on the set of the hobbits without any real argument for how that effected the finished films.

Like the guy who played Gloin reveals the cast & crew weren't respected and that sucks but what does that have to do with the bad storytelling decisions made by Jackson and his collaboraters on the writing & editing rooms? Like a lot of nerd media it's frustrating how so much time is spent on a subject without ever coming to grips with it.

This dude talks a lot more about the actual problems with the movie if that's what you're looking for

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TijkFnT8D-U

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

AnimeIsTrash posted:

Holy hell the heard vs depp trial is still being played out amongst the fans.

The biggest misconception about war is that wars end

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

I will be watching 0 videos about the hobbit linked itt.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Yeah I've still never seen the 3rd one and I'm one of those kids that read The Hobbit/LotR through multiple times growing up

Also watched those Rankin/Bass movies til the tapes wore out

Not enough singing and disco baselines, Mr. Jackson, you hack

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YdXQJS3Yv0Y

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Thinking about it now the implication by that song that the orcs are mostly unwilling conscripts casts some pretty serious ethical questions on the entire war effort