Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?

Quorum posted:

Don't mess with archivists, they cut their teeth in the Deep Stacks battling the Silverfish Elders.

Also I posted this in the J6 thread but: that list of seized items including a slew of boxes with catalog numbers makes me wonder if they numbered the boxes sequentially. If so, then no wonder the Archives noticed almost immediately that something was up once they got the first set of boxes.

I wonder which Hollywood star will play the archivist who discovered this. There's going to be some dramatic music when the character works out what's missing and who must have it.

Then again, it's more likely to be a comedy in the vein of Top Secret.

edit top page snipe- Someone should do a photoshop Friday of the movie poster on this saga.

Comstar fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Aug 13, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Comstar posted:

I wonder which Hollywood star will play the archivist who discovered this. There's going to be some dramatic music when the character works out what's missing and who must have it.

has to be some cousin greg looking motherfucker

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

Comstar posted:

Then again, it's more likely to be a comedy in the vein of Top Secret.

edit top page snipe- someone should do a photoshop friday of the movie poster on this saga.

John Oliver

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

I'm good... I Haven't slept for a solid 83 hours, but yeah... I'm good...

Lipstick Apathy
Good rundown on the differences of classification in documents, how one gains access, and declassification

https://twitter.com/markhertling/status/1557911337468133377?s=21&t=PYOObSw2qff9is5Mu4tCqg

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Paracaidas posted:

Trump's State Department disagrees with your assessment, Ze.

Please, elaborate on how the 91 state department policy violations across 33,000 emails "strictly speaking" run afoul of the laws listed in the Mar A Lago warrant. A note that neither Justice nor State (under pressure, per WaPo and Politico, from Grassley and the GOP senate as well as the remainder of the executive branch) found any criminal behavior.

In the meantime, I'll stick with Petraeus, the executive brancher who removed many classified documents (including TS/SCI) to his Florida mansion for fun and profit as a much closer comparison.

i am not precisely shocked that Mike Pompeo, former head of the CIA, came to the conclusion "prosecuting high-ranking politicians for playing dumb games with classified material is a genie I am not letting out of the bottle," yes

letter of the law, you probably could lock Powell up alongside Clinton for this poo poo, on grounds of insecure storage of classified information relating to national security. there's a reason the conclusion you quote has to lean real hard on ''systemic, deliberate mishandling," because the 'mishandling' itself is not a debatable question, the installation of private email servers to get state department business done outside state department systems was not accomplished by accident, and the law doesn't say you're allowed to gently caress around with classified information as long as you say it was an oopsie in retrospect. that said, as we are all painfully aware thanks to four years of Trump in office, what the letter of the law says the powerful can't do and what the law in practice says the powerful can't do are two very, very different things. and of the differences between those two sets, absolutely nobody worth speaking of actually cares about if emails are obeying security protocols.

it is, however, something you can use as an excuse for coming down on someone who thinks they're invincible and has pissed you off, and that's always good fun.

last time we saw this game play out there was just a bunch of hooting and hollering followed by nobody pulling the trigger for fear of what might follow. it'll be interesting to see if that fear of consequence holds.

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!! posted:

letter of the law, you probably could lock Powell up alongside Clinton for this poo poo, on grounds of insecure storage of classified information relating to national security. there's a reason the conclusion you quote has to lean real hard on ''systemic, deliberate mishandling," because the 'mishandling' itself is not a debatable question, the installation of private email servers to get state department business done outside state department systems was not accomplished by accident, and the law doesn't say you're allowed to gently caress around with classified information as long as you say it was an oopsie in retrospect.
Again, Ze, which ones of the three laws from the executed Trump warrant were you refering to here?

strictly speaking doing so ran afoul of most of the same laws
And in what way did the 91 emails violate them rather than (or in addition to) state department policy? You've made a claim that runs entirely counter to my understanding of the laws in each scenario so I'd love to understand what you meant and make sure I'm not unintentionally misinforming anyone.

Additionally, in what ways were the inadvertent inclusions of sensitive intelligence in these emails similar to Trump's alleged intentional removal and retention of his ts/sci documents?

UZR IS BULLSHIT
Jan 25, 2004

Spiffster posted:

Good rundown on the differences of classification in documents, how one gains access, and declassification

https://twitter.com/markhertling/status/1557911337468133377?s=21&t=PYOObSw2qff9is5Mu4tCqg

The acronym that’s conspicuous by it’s absence so far is CNWDI, if that starts showing up in reporting it will answer a lot of questions about what exactly he has.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

alf_pogs posted:

has to be some cousin greg looking motherfucker

So… Nicholas Braun?

Logic Probed
Feb 26, 2011

Having a normal one since 2016

Young Freud posted:

https://twitter.com/Josiensor/status/1558230358134587395?s=20&t=kpmvHLHesG_KrmEKYxL7yw

Rushdie absolutely got chopped up. It sounds like at least one of the blows hit his head.

So remind me; what makes this guy so hated that someone was willing to attack him like this? Was one of his books just that bad? (By bad I mean offensive and controversial, which admittedly there's quite a few books like that, but I don't want to diminish the impact here)

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Logic Probed posted:

So remind me; what makes this guy so hated that someone was willing to attack him like this? Was one of his books just that bad? (By bad I mean offensive and controversial, which admittedly there's quite a few books like that, but I don't want to diminish the impact here)

There's been a standing kill order on him from the ayatollah in Iran since he published The Satanic Verses. That was decades ago, and the Iranian government didn't always seem to give a poo poo, but that's not the same as rescinding it.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Logic Probed posted:

He wrote a fictional book where one of the characters dreams they are the prophet Muhammad and gets tricked by one of his followers.

Some Muslims thought writing about Muhammad in a fictional setting, having someone else dream they were Muhammad, and having Muhammad get tricked were blasphemous.

The government of Iran offered $3 million to anyone who killed Salman Rushdie and issued a Fatwa calling on everyone to kill him for blasphemy.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

The Satanic Verses is mostly about how poo poo it is to be an immigrant in Britain, but is told with magical realism, and the main character has these weird fever dream sections that in short, say the devil perverted the Quran and another where a girl convinces her village to pilgrimage to Mecca, they get convinced they can walk on water, and disappear into a sea never to be seen again.

Book's definitely no Good Omens :v:, and in the end, for that he ends up with a whole bunch of assassination attempts, like really, just read this paragraph:

quote:

Hitoshi Igarashi, Rushdie's Japanese translator, was found by a cleaning lady, stabbed to death 13 July 1991 on the college campus where he taught near Tokyo. Ten days prior to Igarashi's killing, Rushdie's Italian translator Ettore Capriolo was seriously injured by an attacker at his home in Milan by being stabbed multiple times on 3 July 1991. William Nygaard, the Norwegian publisher of The Satanic Verses, was critically injured by being shot three times in the back by an assailant on October 11, 1993 in Oslo. Nygaard survived, but spent months in the hospital recovering. The book's Turkish translator Aziz Nesin was the intended target of a mob of arsonists who set fire to the Madimak Hotel after Friday prayers on 2 July 1993 in Sivas, Turkey, killing 37 people, mostly Alevi scholars, poets and musicians. Nesin escaped death when the fundamentalist mob failed to recognize him early in the attack. Known as the Sivas massacre, it is remembered by Alevi Turks who gather in Sivas annually and hold silent marches, commemorations and vigils for the slain.

Man, everyone's a critic.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice
I think what really pissed off Khomeni, even though he said it was the depiction of Muhammed, is that ome of the dream sequences has this character called The Imam, a religious figure in exile who is planning a revolution back in Iran. He's outwardly pious but also eager to control every aspect of people's lives. He forces the main character to Iran to murder the ruler and then one of the goddesses who takes over her body. Then, wen he's in charge, his first order is to atop all the clocks and ban all change

One guess on who he's supposed to be.

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

Are there any active grand juries that could act on all this poo poo? I can't keep track of all_my_crimes.xlsx

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

UZR IS BULLSHIT posted:

The acronym that’s conspicuous by it’s absence so far is CNWDI, if that starts showing up in reporting it will answer a lot of questions about what exactly he has.

There could also be Nuclear related, but actual nuke, programs involved too.

The US's TACAMO (Take Charge and Move Out) program involves a lot of very tightly controlled systems, procedures, and material that would be very, very bad to be leaked out. Anything about the E-4/E-6 Airborne Command Posts (AACP), or procedures and plans for the National Emergency Airborne Command Post (NEACP) would be disastrous. Mostly because that's a bigger part of the "Mutual" in Mutually Assured Destruction.

I wouldn't be surprised if these get involved because remember: Trump really, REALLY, wanted a new Air Force 1 and the E-4's are based on the same airframe that could end up being tied up with that desired update. He never got to ride in the stupid thing, but maybe he at least wanted souvenirs. Now the standard Air Force One (which yes, any plane with the President on board is AF1, but you know what I mean) isn't technically designed to be TACAMO, but any plane ready to receive the President in that emergency situation would need TACAMO capabilities.

That's my current little bet/theory if the nuclear stuff does pan out.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

a private email server for handling all the poo poo you didn't want ever subject to FOIA or any of the classification red tape

Just fyi, the use of a private email server does not, in and of itself, inherently exempt the communications from ever being subject to an FOIA request. There are a lot of caveats on it.

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

evilweasel posted:

Yeah it's not illegal it's just incredibly obvious incitement to violence - not enough to be illegal but enough to be identified and socially punished.

What does "socially punished" mean, in the context of DOJ proceedings and FBI raids?

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

This is very anecdotal but whatever. A good friend of mine is in the private sector currently but a couple years back she worked as a.... I really don't know what they're called, engineer? Basically she drove the nuclear reactor on an aircraft carrier.

Because of the nature of her work she essentially had like all of the clearances. She said that the vetting process for her clearances were absolutely daunting, and the idea that any government official including the president having casual access to this level of material is total nonsense.

She also said that more or less things really don't get declassified willy-nilly because the paperwork involved is just not worth the effort unless it's part of some other pet project of yours.

So ya, it's stolen.

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer

Sodomy Hussein posted:

There's been a standing kill order on him from the ayatollah in Iran since he published The Satanic Verses. That was decades ago, and the Iranian government didn't always seem to give a poo poo, but that's not the same as rescinding it.

Pretty sure the fatwa was rescinded years ago?

Problematic Pigeon
Feb 28, 2011

FLIPADELPHIA posted:

Pretty sure the fatwa was rescinded years ago?

It very pointedly has not been. A few years ago Twitter removed an Ali Khamenei tweet that was an affirmation of the fatwa.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
The US media has to big as happy as a pig in poo poo that they can spend all day talking about Trump again.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

some plague rats posted:

What does "socially punished" mean, in the context of DOJ proceedings and FBI raids?

it means that when right wing news organizations are publishing FBI agent names as an incitement to violence against them they should be harshly criticized and the people involved socially and professionally shunned

raifield
Feb 21, 2005

Ghost Leviathan posted:

The US media has to big as happy as a pig in poo poo that they can spend all day talking about Trump again.

This must be both the best and worst time of his life, simultaneously. Best: attention! Worst: consequences! (hopefully)

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Young Freud posted:

https://twitter.com/Josiensor/status/1558230358134587395?s=20&t=kpmvHLHesG_KrmEKYxL7yw

Rushdie absolutely got chopped up. It sounds like at least one of the blows hit his head.

I think one of the most interesting details, in terms of providing context, is that the suspect is a mere 24 years old, not someone who remembers what this entire issue is/was actually about when the fatwa was first decreed. Religion has a lot to answer for right now, precisely because it drives this unthinking bullshit where either a young guy can be convinced to stab an author for essentially no reason, or, let's face it, young men who don't know a uterus from a unicycle can be convinced to attack women's rights, or entire groups of people of all ages can be convinced to downplay the most vile, heinous forms of child abuse.

I don't think you get to that point without religion, and I think as a society, we need to start religion like alcohol: sure, maybe not everyone has a capital-p Problem with it, but it's a motivating factor behind a lot of awful, awful poo poo, and we need to stop treating it as a completely harmless personal choice, culturally speaking.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

PT6A posted:

I think one of the most interesting details, in terms of providing context, is that the suspect is a mere 24 years old, not someone who remembers what this entire issue is/was actually about when the fatwa was first decreed. Religion has a lot to answer for right now, precisely because it drives this unthinking bullshit where either a young guy can be convinced to stab an author for essentially no reason, or, let's face it, young men who don't know a uterus from a unicycle can be convinced to attack women's rights, or entire groups of people of all ages can be convinced to downplay the most vile, heinous forms of child abuse.

I don't think you get to that point without religion, and I think as a society, we need to start religion like alcohol: sure, maybe not everyone has a capital-p Problem with it, but it's a motivating factor behind a lot of awful, awful poo poo, and we need to stop treating it as a completely harmless personal choice, culturally speaking.

I agree with most of this. The frustrating thing about it to me is how much deference and implied respect it's given. Meaning, if you're a person of a given faith, everyone automatically has to accept that and treat your opinions seriously. But as an atheist/agnostic, I am not afforded this same latitude. In fact, I'm often given far, far less.

Certain people like to try and claim that without religion, there's no template or any sort of guideline to regulate my behavior or morality simply because I don't believe I'll be punished in hell if I rob, rape or steal. Which is complete nonsense. I don't need a church to instill in me a sense of empathy for living things. And my beliefs also do not inspire me to commit horrible acts, pass judgement or rationalize things like bigotry and homophobia.

Then you have the widespread existence of megachurches and all those televangilist assholes who rake in millions of dollars (tax free) while openly influencing politics, education and lawmaking. I have a big capital-p Problem with that for sure.

smug n stuff
Jul 21, 2016

A Hobbit's Adventure

PT6A posted:

Hm okay, what would that look like to you, to treat religion like alcohol?

Nameless Pete
May 8, 2007

Get a load of those...
Prohibition sounds like a good idea up until kids start going blind after taking bootleg communion.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

PT6A posted:

I don't think you get to that point without religion

Oh, then you're wrong. Atheists are loving morons too, and they believe all sorts of stupid poo poo in their day to day life. They are tribal and petty and subject to group think and all the same pointless poo poo. Why? Because they are human, and that's what we are. It's not even a complicated thought. People built religion, it didn't fall to Earth like an alien plague to warp humanity. It is what we made it, because that's what we have in us. Even people that don't latch on to organized religion still have those parts inside them, and are entirely capable of doing the same things for different reasons. And do.

I mean China certainly isn't a bastion of religious thought, but they are just as willing to let old men dictate terms on women's reproductive rights. Russia is also a fairly atheistic society, and they are absolutely willing to put up headlines about how Europe is collapsing on account of catching a bad case of the faggots. People are people.

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

Mulva posted:

Oh, then you're wrong. Atheists are loving morons too, and they believe all sorts of stupid poo poo in their day to day life. They are tribal and petty and subject to group think and all the same pointless poo poo. Why? Because they are human, and that's what we are. It's not even a complicated thought. People built religion, it didn't fall to Earth like an alien plague to warp humanity. It is what we made it, because that's what we have in us. Even people that don't latch on to organized religion still have those parts inside them, and are entirely capable of doing the same things for different reasons. And do.

Yeah. Take religion out of the equation and you still have people worshiping Elon Musk and his murdermobiles or any other thing that people use to fill the voids in their hearts.

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer
True but how many atheists can you recall going on atheism-inspired murder sprees for questioning the sacred words of Richard Dawkins or whomever.

Atheists do believe some pretty stupid stuff and many of them are pretty bad people, but atheism tends to not inspire violence the way religion does, because many / most religions are reactionary.

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Paracaidas posted:

And in what way did the 91 emails violate them rather than (or in addition to) state department policy? You've made a claim that runs entirely counter to my understanding of the laws in each scenario so I'd love to understand what you meant and make sure I'm not unintentionally misinforming anyone.

You aren't misinforming anyone. I'm not going to dig up transcripts, but James Comey pretty plainly stated that Hillary Clinton did not violate any laws. At worst, she violated some state department policies. But even then, she was the head of the state department at the time, and she was no longer employed by the state department by the time the investigation concluded.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

FLIPADELPHIA posted:

True but how many atheists can you recall going on atheism-inspired murder sprees for questioning the sacred words of Richard Dawkins or whomever.

This is the point where someone coughs, goes "Communist China", and then we spiral for a bit. Or maybe they go with the USSR or some other loudly communist and atheistic society that did a whole bunch of mass murders.

quote:

Atheists do believe some pretty stupid stuff and many of them are pretty bad people, but atheism tends to not inspire violence the way religion does, because many / most religions are reactionary.

Nah, atheists are exactly the same as everyone else, it's just that 'no religion' is kind of a lovely belief to build a social group around. Which is the first step to going "Those other social groups suck, lets kill them". Which is why it needs to be latched on to something else, like rationalism or communism. That's a nice active belief system that wants to do stuff, and from which we can kill our enemies. Also cares about vast aspects of society, so there's lots to point out how such and such isn't working towards communism. Atheism is a one subject binary. There's no atheist way to eat a hotdog or which side of the street to drive on or things of that sort. It's just the one subject atheism cares about.

Otherwise, again: Same hosed up people believe in religion and don't believe in religion. Because they are people. Nothing special about atheists.

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!

PT6A posted:

Counter point: Libertarians are atheist.

I'd say the bigger problem is idolatry, worshipping a thing or image or person as opposed to elevating an ideal or goal. We don't know anything about this 24 year old kid who stabbed Rushdie. Maybe he had brain problems, maybe he wanted fame / money. Maybe he idolized the Ayatollah so much that stabbing a guy seemed like a great plan. He probably wasn't hugely thoughtful about Islam in general.

This is what Archbishop García-Siller was getting at when he said “We have made guns an idol in this country,”. Folks aren't interested in personal safety and see guns as the best way for it, they just want guns. When the Republican party refused to have a party platform in 2020, it really said loud and clear that they just have a bunch of idols which must be followed, no real ideals.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.
https://twitter.com/thedailybeast/status/1558290437106016257

They're just begging for someone to do something about those meddlesome FBI agents.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

smug n stuff posted:

Hm okay, what would that look like to you, to treat religion like alcohol?

As a society, we must begin to treat it as a thing that has the capacity to cause problems for both the "user" and society in general. Prohibition is obviously off the table in both cases, that's been tried and it simply doesn't work and it never will.

What strikes me about the Rushdie case is, as much as it was violent, it was also intensely self-destructive. This 24 year old man, barely an adult, has ruined his own life in addition to whatever results from this deplorable act of violence. It's very, very likely he will go to prison for a fairly long time, and for what? So he could stab an author? No one wins here on any level, everything that happened is strictly bad, with no silver lining.

I agree that this can happen with any idol/ideology and religion isn't special in this regard, but the reason I want to compare this to substance abuse is that they're both trying to fulfil unmet needs, and we need to reach out and help meet those needs in a way that doesn't end in a tragic situation like this (or an alcoholic killing someone while driving drunk, or committing suicide-by-cop in a drunken stupor, whatever you like).

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Mulva posted:

I mean China certainly isn't a bastion of religious thought, but they are just as willing to let old men dictate terms on women's reproductive rights. Russia is also a fairly atheistic society, and they are absolutely willing to put up headlines about how Europe is collapsing on account of catching a bad case of the faggots. People are people.

Yeah, Religion doesn't make people stupid and bad at reasoning, being human does. I know lots of atheists with absolutely idiotic, dangerous, and oppressive beliefs backed by a faith in science which is absolutely wrong and not fact based at all. The only real difference is that a few religious groups are a lot more organized in their ability to push their bad ideas out there and convince others to believe them..

small butter
Oct 8, 2011

Mulva posted:

This is the point where someone coughs, goes "Communist China", and then we spiral for a bit. Or maybe they go with the USSR or some other loudly communist and atheistic society that did a whole bunch of mass murders.

Nah, atheists are exactly the same as everyone else, it's just that 'no religion' is kind of a lovely belief to build a social group around. Which is the first step to going "Those other social groups suck, lets kill them". Which is why it needs to be latched on to something else, like rationalism or communism. That's a nice active belief system that wants to do stuff, and from which we can kill our enemies. Also cares about vast aspects of society, so there's lots to point out how such and such isn't working towards communism. Atheism is a one subject binary. There's no atheist way to eat a hotdog or which side of the street to drive on or things of that sort. It's just the one subject atheism cares about.

Otherwise, again: Same hosed up people believe in religion and don't believe in religion. Because they are people. Nothing special about atheists.

Disagree. I'd take the most "devout" atheist over the most devout Christian, Muslim, Hindu, or whoever. Atheists tend to be more educated, more liberal, more likely to be pro-choice, and a million other things.

Slowpoke!
Feb 12, 2008

ANIME IS FOR ADULTS

Mulva posted:

Atheists aren’t bound together in some cult. There aren’t atheist churches indoctrinating children and atheist Facebook groups plotting terrorist attacks. It’s not really the same at all.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

PT6A posted:

As a society, we must begin to treat it as a thing that has the capacity to cause problems for both the "user" and society in general. Prohibition is obviously off the table in both cases, that's been tried and it simply doesn't work and it never will.

What strikes me about the Rushdie case is, as much as it was violent, it was also intensely self-destructive. This 24 year old man, barely an adult, has ruined his own life in addition to whatever results from this deplorable act of violence. It's very, very likely he will go to prison for a fairly long time, and for what? So he could stab an author? No one wins here on any level, everything that happened is strictly bad, with no silver lining.

I agree that this can happen with any idol/ideology and religion isn't special in this regard, but the reason I want to compare this to substance abuse is that they're both trying to fulfil unmet needs, and we need to reach out and help meet those needs in a way that doesn't end in a tragic situation like this (or an alcoholic killing someone while driving drunk, or committing suicide-by-cop in a drunken stupor, whatever you like).

That's a lot of words but I don't think you really answered the person's question though. Or, if you did, I didn't understand it. You're kind of all over the place for me here.

Are you saying this 24 year old kid could just have easily been drunk and done what he did or that he was, in effect, "drunk" on religion? Or both?

The way we "deal" with alcohol in the US is through age restriction, laws against driving impaired, blue laws in some states, regulation/taxes and, to some extent, rehabilitation and healthcare. You seem to be arguing that (some) people are "self medicating" through religion in the same way people do with substance abuse (?) without providing much in the way of proving that or, if it is true, offering solutions. Am I reading you right?

And even though the question wasn't directed at me or framed around what I posted after you, the first thing I would do to "deal with the religion 'problem'" would be to remove their tax exempt status. Or at least do that for those that rake in billions in dollars, build private schools and lobby lawmakers while preaching from the pulpit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

It's tough, religion has the highest body count this week but political terrorism tried to go for more deaths with the FBI. Inconclusive evidence of religions problems.