Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
Been in Cork for 15 years here, and its still an alien language.
I thought the Dublin accent was horrible, but holy poo poo Corkian.
What gets me is how a good subset of the female cork accent is gravely and hoarse, as if they smoke 100 a day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004
anyone who reads Cinema Discusso for anything more than slackjawed trolling will see the shittiness in my posts

forkboy84 posted:

Fit like? Yer a fair bonnie quine. Fer about ye bide?

We don’t need to delve into the Scots discussion again but I’ve never encountered a Doric speaker who was in practice harder to understand than folks from Cork—and I live in Scotland.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
:sweatdrop:

Trying not to make a "put a cork in it" joke.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

endlessmonotony posted:

Build quality is well-known to be a bit poo poo, can be a hair-pulling nightmare to get the drivers to work under Linux (tho not because of the AMD processor, those went open sores), performance is decidedly ok. Once it works I wouldn't worry though, Linux isn't prone to falling apart for no reason. Unlike the bloody motherboard.

The Asus and HP Ryzens can be had decently cheap, and have excellent performance for the price, and aren't poorly built trash like Lenovo or Samsung or Dell. Under Windows at least.

If you want reliability above all else and don't care about 3D performance, a HP with a fairly recent (gen10+) Intel are leading the pack.

I've got to say my personal experience is opposite to yours .

Owned a few ThinkPads, always been great. HP I'd never tough again, complete turd and constant linux driver issues, my hp devices have always died quickly. They also make the worst printers known to God.

For work I always get saddled with Dell which are poo poo I agree, BUT their business support is phenomenal so I get why companies like them.

Mega Comrade fucked around with this message at 10:54 on Aug 13, 2022

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Amazing things are happening in the Highlands today (spotted in Nairn)

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
A level beyond the pie barm... impossible...

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

keep punching joe posted:

I'd have guessed that was at the games but apparently that's next Saturday, and the Nairn Show was a couple of weeks ago.

Man, that's the most Scottish piece of cuisine since the Arbroath smokie

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
What is the middle bit?

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

MeinPanzer posted:

I studied abroad in Germany and became friends with a girl from Cork while there. Her accent was pretty mild, but her friend from Cork came to visit one time and it’s the hardest time I’ve ever had understanding an English-speaking accent. Had a 1+ hour convo with him and basically only understood every third word.

All you have to do is know going into the conversation that they are probably talking about how great Cork is, and you'll make it through any conversation. Particularly if you hear the word "Republic "

(I kid. I knew a bunch of people from Cork when I was at university. Particularly one girl who I drove to the train station on Fridays since it was on my way as I was going home. Lovely sort. But they often talked about Cork and how great it was.)

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

Jippa posted:

What is the middle bit?

That's a mutton pie my dude.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I've never had the chance to eat mutton and would like to.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

That's a mutton pie my dude.

Was hoping it was a macaroni pie, or at a stretch haggis, but mutton will have to do

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

OwlFancier posted:

i have good news, relating to the coming food crisis

Tomberforce
May 30, 2006

There was me thinking it was a doughnut cut in half with a baked cheesecake in the middle

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Tomberforce posted:

There was me thinking it was a doughnut cut in half with a baked cheesecake in the middle

No, you get a sweet donut cut in half with a savoury pie in the middle and you'll like it

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

Margaret loving Hodge...

https://twitter.com/margarethodge/status/1558056058740002818?s=20&t=ZfbBy7VJ46qimzwUe-8ZqA

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

I could've gone to Blatherwycke

forkboy84 posted:

No, you get a sweet donut cut in half with a savoury pie in the middle and you'll like it

If only you could still wash it down with a nice cooling glass of the Moray Cup.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Mega Comrade posted:

I've got to say my personal experience is opposite to yours .

Owned a few ThinkPads, always been great. HP I'd never tough again, complete turd and constant linux driver issues, my hp devices have always died quickly. They also make the worst printers known to God.

For work I always get saddled with Dell which are poo poo I agree, BUT their business support is phenomenal so I get why companies like them.

My current personal laptop is a Lenovo Yoga and I love it. But it is 6 years old now and definitely running much more slowly. It's like me and needs a couple of coffees in the morning before it starts running at a decent speed. I have to boot it up about half hour before I need it. And if I leave it on sleep or hibernate over night instead of turning it right off it it just hangs and freezes until I do a reset or reboot anyway.
And yes I have done all the housekeeping tips other than a complete reinstall - fell foul of one of those on a different computer one time so never again unless dire need.

I bought it in Cairo so it has a keyboard with Arabic letters on it as well as English ones. I shall miss that. Though my party piece used to be to touch type copy in Arabic (printed not handwriting) on a keyboard with no Arabic letters marked on it at over 20wpm which is apparently reasonably good even for native Arabic typers.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

OwlFancier posted:

Let me recommend tzatziki again to go with it.

Dead Goon posted:

Margaret loving Hodge...
According to some anthropologists the 'oldest form of racism' would be when you accuse an outgroup of undesirable behaviour that you yourself are doing.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

forkboy84 posted:

Fit like? Yer a fair bonnie quine. Fer about ye bide?
This you?

https://twitter.com/chickenpaprika/status/1298318154175852544?t=fJ2YOdxU_kq6qI6APHQK_A&s=19

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

biglads posted:

If only you could still wash it down with a nice cooling glass of the Moray Cup.

Huh. I hadn't realised those had been discontinued until now. Sad (I say sad, I don't think I ever actually had any, but it was on the shelves of my local shop)

I hate that kid so much. Imagine confusing Scots with Scottish colloquial English.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

the moray cup is what the winner of the shinty world championship gets

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
It has eels in it.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

(not actually entirely joking as until forkboy mentioned buying it in a shop I did actually think that the moray cup was a sporting event of some sort)

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

They have won the Cup of Moray
(and Lady Mondegreen)

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

jolly good chaps we sure showed the hun

thanks for the thoughts, all - just to be clear, though, I've been thinking about leaving for a while (antisocial hours, physical exhaustion) so this is more a last straw than aggressive negotiation

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

OwlFancier posted:

(not actually entirely joking as until forkboy mentioned buying it in a shop I did actually think that the moray cup was a sporting event of some sort)

Came in lovely little plastic bottles: https://www.aberdeenlive.news/news/history/remembering-north-easts-famous-fizzy-7212124

I only remember it because I recognise the (I'm almost positive it's racist because this is the north-east of Scotland...) packaging. Killed by the sugar tax.

Also as everyone knows the big cups in Shinty are the MacTavish Cup & the Camanachd Cup. The league is the Mowi Premiership, because sponsors Marine Harvest changed their name or were bought out, whatever.

Since we're talking about shinty, my favourite thing is that since the Premiership came into existence in 1996 (there used to be a North & South league, Premiership is the entire country) it has been won by 4 teams. Kinlochshiel once, Fort William once, Newtonmore 8 times & Kingussie 13 times. 21 times in total by 2 villages 3 miles apart. About half the distance between Ibrox & Parkhead.

forkboy84 fucked around with this message at 12:54 on Aug 13, 2022

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
At least by the standards of the usual British "let's sell marmalade with a horrendous African goblin-child stereotype" it's not that bad.

Bobstar posted:

They have won the Cup of Moray
(and Lady Mondegreen)
:golfclap:

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

I wish the Golden Syrup people leaned harder into their 'Dead Lion' motif in their advertising, maybe some animated mascot or summat.

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

forkboy84 posted:

Huh. I hadn't realised those had been discontinued until now. Sad (I say sad, I don't think I ever actually had any, but it was on the shelves of my local shop)

I hate that kid so much. Imagine confusing Scots with Scottish colloquial English.

more the obvious deficiencies in wikification of things which shouldn’t be

Oct 4, 2005

The sheer brass neck on this woman

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost
The 'trying to be positive while facing the end times' tone of this Guardian piece is a whole mood, with a lot of fairly brutal honesty about what may well be coming.
https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2022/aug/13/when-food-shortages-bite-what-to-eat-and-drink-in-the-age-of-empty-shelves

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

OwlFancier posted:

No halal butchers anywhere near you? It's fairly available in most large cities if you know where to look. :sun:

Whimsicalfuckery
Sep 6, 2011

Absolutely stunning to see my wee home town get the recognition it deserves, for all the right reasons.

Also Moray Cup was the absolute best. We also used to have the Bon-Accord truck come round our houses where you could buy glass bottles of locally made fizzy juice of pretty much every variety.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Danger - Octopus! posted:

The 'trying to be positive while facing the end times' tone of this Guardian piece is a whole mood, with a lot of fairly brutal honesty about what may well be coming.
https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2022/aug/13/when-food-shortages-bite-what-to-eat-and-drink-in-the-age-of-empty-shelves

Friend of mine does lighting at theatres and conference venues. Pre covid she was working at a national food production conference of some sort and she said it was scary what she was hearing. She told me this at the time. It's not a hindsight thing.

Shortages were on the agenda pre covid and pre Ukraine.
I wonder what else it could be? ( /S).
Obviously covid, Ukraine and weather also add to the problems.

I'm using up my brexit apocalypse supplies which I got in 2019 with bbf dates of 2022 at the moment so I will have to go invest in more I think!

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

feedmegin posted:

No halal butchers anywhere near you? It's fairly available in most large cities if you know where to look. :sun:

Never tried, is it expensive? I hoped it would generally be cheaper than lamb and I like the gameyness of lamb so I figured that would be more pronounced in mutton.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Mutton is significantly cheaper than lamb and yeah, it's a bit gamier. Makes fantastic curries too.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Would probably go for stew myself or just fry it up with some veggies if you can get a good fatty bit. Got some discount lamb chops the other week and had them just fried up with some veg, very nice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
Fun fact, the sun is actually farther away right now than it is during winter.