Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mystes
May 31, 2006

https://www.wsmv.com/2022/08/12/driver-not-charged-with-striking-pedestrians-longtime-murfreesboro-pd-employee/

A police department employee hit two kids in a crosswalk in a school zone and isn't even getting a ticket

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
I mean there is one valid point, London transit really is expensive and it is punishing for many working people (as is everything in London). I think it just speaks more about classism than anything.

I don’t get the points about Amsterdam, I don’t get how electric buses and bicycles are affecting equity beyond some neighborhoods needing more service. Also, there is no shortage of pedestrian spaces in Amsterdam, the only issue is some key spots where bike lanes intersect some tourist zones, even then it more of an annoyance (for both sides) than a danger.

Also, there is talk about “equity” in the US and usually it is the exact opposite, almost no funding is given to transit and what few projects that are built have every corner cut on them and usually see minimal maintenance. I guess there is more performance in the states but almost no follow through.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

mystes posted:

https://www.wsmv.com/2022/08/12/driver-not-charged-with-striking-pedestrians-longtime-murfreesboro-pd-employee/

A police department employee hit two kids in a crosswalk in a school zone and isn't even getting a ticket

We love our minor nobility folks

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

Ardennes posted:

I mean there is one valid point, London transit really is expensive and it is punishing for many working people (as is everything in London). I think it just speaks more about classism than anything.

I don’t get the points about Amsterdam, I don’t get how electric buses and bicycles are affecting equity beyond some neighborhoods needing more service. Also, there is no shortage of pedestrian spaces in Amsterdam, the only issue is some key spots where bike lanes intersect some tourist zones, even then it more of an annoyance (for both sides) than a danger.

Also, there is talk about “equity” in the US and usually it is the exact opposite, almost no funding is given to transit and what few projects that are built have every corner cut on them and usually see minimal maintenance. I guess there is more performance in the states but almost no follow through.

The point about equity in Amsterdam wasn't that the services weren't equitable, but that the city of Amsterdam wasn't holding stuggle sessions on the topic.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Weembles posted:

The point about equity in Amsterdam wasn't that the services weren't equitable, but that the city of Amsterdam wasn't holding stuggle sessions on the topic.

That was my point that in the US there is often a performative discussion about equity, and then where is the investment into underserved neighborhoods? If the federal government was spending real money on building infrastructure, there would be something to say, but what little transit/urban investment that happens is usually in neighborhoods that are well on the way of gentrifying or some LRT line along a freeway that serves absolutely no one.

Also, the obsession with fare box return also happens in the US, it is usually systems have far too ridership to ever get close to breaking even.

There is a “discussion” in the US, everyone slaps each other backs, and then walks away.

Ardennes has issued a correction as of 15:38 on Aug 13, 2022

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

how do they alter the direction it moves without power?

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

planet moves around it. next.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

mystes posted:

Streetsblog has published a guest column by one of its board members that is not making a lot of the people who read streetsblog very happy: https://mass.streetsblog.org/2022/08/10/guest-column-europes-bike-and-transit-systems-are-a-marvel-but-only-for-some/

oh no! Europe doesnt atomize its population as an excuse to enforce the status quo.

quote:

From what I observed, people of color, immigrants, and low-income people are not prioritized in decision making in these two cities. Climate, impeccable design, and engineering are.
The Horror.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Climate is a weird one to bring up, since in the context of the USA, action on climate is extremely just from a global perspective.

It's ridiculous anyway, Amsterdam has one of the most accessible cycling and public transport systems in the world and it's obvious just from being there, using it, and looking around. Really letting the perfect be the enemy of the good.

e: some stats
https://twitter.com/modacitylife/status/1558371824387457027?t=_plTt33V1br8-CLpJQJNIQ&s=19

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
I mean, what would the different in outcomes be? It doesn’t mean like the priorities they mention really conflict with access?

I mean London could certainly have much cheaper fares but I don’t think the American way of doing that can provide it.

cool av
Mar 2, 2013

actionjackson posted:

they don't, it sounded like they just use magnets instead of electromagnets for the 'holding it in place' part

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

mystes posted:

Officer-involved collision, thank you very much.

Deadly Ham Sandwich
Aug 19, 2009
Smellrose

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

oh no! Europe doesnt atomize its population as an excuse to enforce the status quo.

The Horror.
This article fails at any sort of useful critique of Amsterdam's transit system, but it's generating a ton of great comments.

"Is this parody?"

"Did a car write this blog?"

"Wow, the author suggests we should prioritize process over outcomes. The ultimate American view."

"People like Lisa Jacobson, aka Liberals, are the worst enemy of the working class and of the people of color that she claims to be acting in the best interest of."

"You wrote a whole ode to asking "who is being served?" without quoting or citing the experiences of a single person of color, immigrant, low-income person, or "child resisting cultural norms" (wtf?"

"As an immigrant living in Netherlands this is one of the dumbest analysis I have read in a while. This is really up there with Ben Shapiro when it comes to sounding smart but actually just plain dumb."

an actual frog
Mar 1, 2007

HEH, HEH, HEH!

mazzi Chart Czar posted:

If the USA had train system built out to at least London levels.
How long, and how much would it cost to go from Los Angeles to New York?
KM

Honestly, if it was truly London-level they'd build high speed rail westward to Chicago Pennsylvania then spend the next decade+ doing nothing but bloviating about supporting the "Midwest Powerhouse".

sat on my keys!
Oct 2, 2014

Deadly Ham Sandwich posted:

"Wow, the author suggests we should prioritize process over outcomes. The ultimate American view."

The author and people like her get paid for doing process, not generating good outcomes. Pretty simple to understand why she would write an article saying we need more of the poo poo she gets paid for and ignoring the stuff she doesn't.

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011

mystes posted:

Streetsblog has published a guest column by one of its board members that is not making a lot of the people who read streetsblog very happy: https://mass.streetsblog.org/2022/08/10/guest-column-europes-bike-and-transit-systems-are-a-marvel-but-only-for-some/

lmao

"And back in Amsterdam, biking is so ingrained in Dutch culture that more than two-thirds of residents commute by bike. If you are born and raised in Holland, you bike. If you are an immigrant, or a child resisting cultural norms, you might not, and you are excluded, especially if you ride a moped or walk."

that diversity/inclusion and unambiguously good for everyone societal things like cycling and transit are somehow at odds strikes me as a viewpoint these worthless NGO liberals and anti immigrant euro racists would both love to see everyone take as true.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

What if you are an immigrant and you drive a car?

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011
" From what I observed, people of color, immigrants, and low-income people are not prioritized in decision making in these two cities. Climate, impeccable design, and engineering are."

If I was someone that wanted to put forth the idea that a nice society and a culturally/racially diverse one were contradictory goals, I couldn't have crafted a more perfect sentence.

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

mystes posted:

the comments section lmfao

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Smythe posted:

ive lived in a hollywood bungalow for 11 years or smth which the same thing and its the best, bar none.

I wish I could have this. I live in a planned neighborhood and at this point I don’t even know who my neighbors are. Luckily I can meet up with plenty of chill people I’ve met through online interest groups but it’s no wonder boomers have completely broken their brains living in hellscapes like this. It’s like living in very fancy solitary confinement

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

I've watched the white yuppies in spandex on a fancy cross bike call the cops on the brown guy in a misfits T shirt on a lovely huffy using the same trail because "he probably stole the bike". If you browse your local reddit after some homeless guy on a bike get flattened by an SUV they will post things about how "he's not a biker in the real sense of the word, not like us". It doesn't really matter what community you're in, they always find ways to exclude the poor people.

Pryor on Fire has issued a correction as of 18:18 on Aug 13, 2022

mystes
May 31, 2006

The other thing is, I think streetsblog does frequently cite helping minorities/poor people/disabled people as a reason for improving transit and bike infrastructure, but I literally don't think they've even ever previously acknowledged that it would even be theoretically possible for these things to be built in a way that was not fair or didn't equally benefit these groups or the possibility that building these things could result in gentrification that could be harmful to lower income people, so them suddenly publishing a column on the extreme other end of that that's like "it doesn't matter that these things actually help everyone in the Netherlands in reality because they didn't talk about diversity enough :smug:" is like absolute god-tier trolling

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

actionjackson posted:

They get out and push

Blockade
Oct 22, 2008

anyone know a solution to this?

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
That bed liner is immaculate, you wouldn’t want to scuff it up with loose groceries.

Mr. Sharps
Jul 30, 2006

The only true law is that which leads to freedom. There is no other.

for sale: ratchet straps, never used

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

actionjackson posted:

cool av posted:

they don't, it sounded like they just use magnets instead of electromagnets for the 'holding it in place' part

yes this is it. some kind of rare earth magnets are used instead of electromagnets to keep it floating

Apr 7, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Blockade posted:

anyone know a solution to this?

smdh, $700+ monthly truck payment drove this man to dollar tree

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
How many clorox wipes does one man need?

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

how do i transport cargo in my pickup truck... help. cant figure it out.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

my disinfectant wipes must not be allowed to ride inside the cabin, like they're a person

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

for sale, cargo bed, never used

Apr 7, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
fuckin Dollar Tree. sick

Deadly Ham Sandwich
Aug 19, 2009
Smellrose
I drive to Home Depot to pick up some materials and fix stuff in my home. While I was out driving, I decided to stop at some other stores near the Home Depot.

Driving to shops loving sucks rear end. Even in Houston where everything is built for cars. What the hell. I spent so much time finding parking. This trip reminded me why I avoid driving.

I also drove past a... I'm not even sure what to call it. It's like a fake town square. Houston has several of them. They're popular destinations and have a good amount of pedestrians, but car brain still fucks it up because you can drive 15 mph through it. Just remove the cars you idiots. It's as if Houston developers saw a European town center and thought, "people would love this in Texas, but it really needs a way for you to drive tmthrough it". There's a big parking complex for everyone to park near the square. There's no need for cars to drive through.

Electro-Boogie Jack
Nov 22, 2006
bagger mcguirk sent me.

mortons stork posted:

they cannot take a walk as all infrastructure around them is designed against the very idea and upon attempting to walk they will be immediately be crushed by a needlessly tall and heavy vehicle that in a just society should single the owner out for being thrown in a volcano to appease the elder gods, hopefully along with the suv/truck

ah, yes. also perhaps any attempt to take a walk should be subject to an equity study. is there someone else nearby who can't take a walk? if so, is it fair for you to take a walk? this question is the subject of a new study, and in the meantime, lets all keep driving

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Deadly Ham Sandwich posted:

I drive to Home Depot to pick up some materials and fix stuff in my home. While I was out driving, I decided to stop at some other stores near the Home Depot.

Driving to shops loving sucks rear end. Even in Houston where everything is built for cars. What the hell. I spent so much time finding parking. This trip reminded me why I avoid driving.

I also drove past a... I'm not even sure what to call it. It's like a fake town square. Houston has several of them. They're popular destinations and have a good amount of pedestrians, but car brain still fucks it up because you can drive 15 mph through it. Just remove the cars you idiots. It's as if Houston developers saw a European town center and thought, "people would love this in Texas, but it really needs a way for you to drive tmthrough it". There's a big parking complex for everyone to park near the square. There's no need for cars to drive through.

You still got to teach pedestrians a lesson.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Dollar stores are the closest thing we have to corner stores in this country lol. Well, and gas stations. The Dollar Tree and Dollar General next to the housing projects here are a walkable service that wealthier neighborhoods don't even have because they raised hell over an Aldi proposal.

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.
My town has a combined family dollar / dollar tree which might be extremely rare idk

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

500excf type r posted:

My town has a combined family dollar / dollar tree which might be extremely rare idk

You can reduce that down to family / tree

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

500excf type r posted:

I actually drove past one of these in Florida the other day. Immediately next door was another dollar store.