Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

FilthyImp posted:

The Out of Suit/Relationship Events models were complete trash.

Yeah, I saw the one for Carol and it looked really really bad. I remember the Cap one not being too great either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
I haven't seen the Carol one, but yeah Steve looked terrible

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

site posted:

that costume is awful lol

As far as I'm concerned, that's America's rear end.

(They'll probably have less crappy options).

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://twitter.com/Nibellion/status/1559223803326173185?s=20&t=Tu5DNrFg9wNW4fbxFdJ3vg

"In addition to all-new announcements, fans can expect new reveals from titles including Disney Dreamlight Valley, Marvel’s Midnight Suns, LEGO Star Wars: The Skywalker Saga, and a sneak peek at the upcoming Marvel ensemble game from Skydance New Media."

Waffleman_ fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Aug 15, 2022

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Midnight Suns needs a push but interesting to note the biggest game *not* mentioned in that blurb...

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
didn't skywalker saga come out a couple months ago

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

site posted:

didn't skywalker saga come out a couple months ago

Probably DLC

Lobok posted:

Midnight Suns needs a push but interesting to note the biggest game *not* mentioned in that blurb...

If you're referring to either of the Insomniac projects, I'd imagine Sony has first dibs on marketing as publisher

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Waffleman_ posted:

If you're referring to either of the Insomniac projects, I'd imagine Sony has first dibs on marketing as publisher

Nothing guaranteed but: Sony doesn't have any upcoming presentations announced yet, Insomniac's Spider-Man has had new promos shown at D23s in the past, and this would be exactly one year to the day since we've last seen anything revealed about Spider-Man 2.

*And* it's my birthday. The stars are aligning here.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

Waffleman_ posted:

Probably DLC

Yeah, datamines suggest you'll play as Lego Fortniteman in a campaign that ends with Palpatine's message to the galaxy from before SW9

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I can't tell if you're joking or not

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

I am, don't worry lol

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

New Gotham Knights trailer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gaRNa86pR2s

I feel like Harley's voice is very off but maybe I've just been watching the Harley cartoon too much. Also it's really disappointing to obviously have Renee Montoya in the trailer but not announce them as a playable character. I guess I can hope for a Question/Huntress based DLC but it's rude to do that to me.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!

RevKrule posted:

I feel like Harley's voice is very off but maybe I've just been watching the Harley cartoon too much. Also it's really disappointing to obviously have Renee Montoya in the trailer but not announce them as a playable character. I guess I can hope for a Question/Huntress based DLC but it's rude to do that to me.

What is up with all these ugly rear end redesigns in modern day superhero games? Between this, Avengers, and Midnight Suns it's like the developers are all competing to have the worst looking costumes.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

JT Smiley posted:

What is up with all these ugly rear end redesigns in modern day superhero games? Between this, Avengers, and Midnight Suns it's like the developers are all competing to have the worst looking costumes.

Honestly that's pretty much business as usual for comics/television shows/movies. They want to sell a new look but a character has had so many loving looks over the years that trying to be distinctive is hard because a lot of characters basically reached their perfected design years ago.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

If you use a costume someone designed in the comics you have to pay them.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!

ImpAtom posted:

Honestly that's pretty much business as usual for comics/television shows/movies. They want to sell a new look but a character has had so many loving looks over the years that trying to be distinctive is hard because a lot of characters basically reached their perfected design years ago.

Yes, but modern movie and television costumes tend to have more hits than misses.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Aphrodite posted:

I mean, games use costumes designed by other people all the time.

Did everyone who made every suit in Spider-Man get paid for it? I somehow doubt this.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Yeah, I think the only legally enforced royalties is for characters you created. It's all work for hire, so Warner Bros and Disney own the copyrights and trademarks.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
All that wretchedly dull Gotham Knights trailer tells me is that they should have just made an Azbats game instead and let me fire bat shuriken out of my Xtreme gauntlets and dig dozens of gadgets out of my dozens of pouches. Just go full 90s with it.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
AzBats DLC with a GrimGruff VO and edgy over the top dark story that gets lampooned in game would be a day one purchase for me.

Az: "My hand... THIRSTS FOR THE BLOOD OF THE WICKED!"

ORACLE: "Uhhhh... That guy just had a few parking tickets"

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

FilthyImp posted:

AzBats DLC with a GrimGruff VO and edgy over the top dark story that gets lampooned in game would be a day one purchase for me.

Az: "My hand... THIRSTS FOR THE BLOOD OF THE WICKED!"

ORACLE: "Uhhhh... That guy just had a few parking tickets"

Az: "Never again will this sinful wretch park in a disabled spot, Computer Woman. SO VOWS THE BATMAN!"
*car explodes under a barrage of shurikens*

Day loving One.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Aphrodite posted:

Skwirl posted:

Yeah, I think the only legally enforced royalties is for characters you created. It's all work for hire, so Warner Bros and Disney own the copyrights and trademarks.
No, work for hire means beyond the terms of an individual creator's contract, there is no expectation of royalties for any derivative works. Nothing is legally required at all. DC apparently had some more creator-friendly contracts in the 70s or 80s, but those have long since disappeared, and I'm sure both Marvel and DC have very much made this clear in their standard contracts. Warner/DC is *reportedly* better about attributing and paying creators for things they created that appeared in movies than Disney/Marvel, but from those same anecdotes, it seems to very much be a "doing the right thing" payment not a contractual one.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

It's good when videogames feature new costumes but I don't like them to be the majority of the suits. Insomniac has some cool original designs for Peter and Miles but they are outnumbered by looks from the comics that fans want to see.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Lobok posted:

It's good when videogames feature new costumes but I don't like them to be the majority of the suits. Insomniac has some cool original designs for Peter and Miles but they are outnumbered by looks from the comics that fans want to see.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Endless Mike posted:

No, work for hire means beyond the terms of an individual creator's contract, there is no expectation of royalties for any derivative works. Nothing is legally required at all. DC apparently had some more creator-friendly contracts in the 70s or 80s, but those have long since disappeared, and I'm sure both Marvel and DC have very much made this clear in their standard contracts. Warner/DC is *reportedly* better about attributing and paying creators for things they created that appeared in movies than Disney/Marvel, but from those same anecdotes, it seems to very much be a "doing the right thing" payment not a contractual one.

Yeah, DC pays royalties. It's a program they've had for ages.

Marvel will use your art directly and not even put your name in the special thanks.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

RevKrule posted:

I like that they don't have Harley dressing in the super duper sexualized way she does in the Arkham games, but I kinda agree on the voice. Some of the costumes are atrocious, like what Bat Girl is wearing right at the start where they first show off Harley, but if it's not too hard a tie between dressing terrible and having serious mechanical benefits I don't really care.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk

JT Smiley posted:

There's an interesting alchemy that occurs from attempting to have a realistic art style in a video game that is adapting a distinctly cartoony source material whose most popular incarnations are all fairly cartoony live action depictions

Actually that only explains the Marvel stuff, with the Batman games just chalk it up to bad art direction. Arkham Asylum and City are some of my favorite games but they look like how I wouldve imagined the McFarlane Toys Batman line would have looked, before that actually came out and looked pretty decent. And that's before you get into the customizable suits from Injustice 2 and apparently Gotham Knights...

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
Arkham Knights looks like poo poo from top to bottom if you ask me.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

It looks like a mirrored Avengers game. Less playable characters, less locations, possibly better level design, we don't know how gross the microtransaction destiny grind is, less ugly, possibly runs better (since it's not on previous gen).

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
every bit of gotham knights footage that has characters like stealthing around and doing heavily scripted arkham bits makes me go "how the gently caress does this work in multiplayer"

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

I just want it to be good because I want to play as Nightwing in a game.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005

Blockhouse posted:

every bit of gotham knights footage that has characters like stealthing around and doing heavily scripted arkham bits makes me go "how the gently caress does this work in multiplayer"

The way they've been showing it more recently, the co-op has barely been focused on when it was the whole thing in the original first reveal. Obviously they haven't gotten rid of it but I wonder if they've just decided to de-emphasise it in trailers/pre release stuff. I guess they show the dual takedowns a lot cause those are like your big cool things but yeah hard to see how well the plot bits where you're quietly pootling around a location doing crime scene stuff will work particularly well in co-op with people talking over stuff. Aspects like player collision, animations and stuff all have the potential to look super weird and janky as well.

Might end up being one of those things where most people play the main story part solo and then the part folks play in co-op is the "endgame" which are the repeatable missions against the big ticket villains like the Freeze mission they showed off in that initial reveal. I hate that so many modern games have to answer the "but what about an endgame" question when the answer most of the time should truthfully be "you're done with the game, go play another game" but it's where we're at now apparently.

Either way I'm open to the idea of it being good, it's made by the folks who made Origins right? I enjoyed all the games and it's been 7 years since Knight, surprised they left the gap as long as they did. If it gets good reviews that say it's a decent enough time I might get it, a bit annoyed that it looks like Batgirl is very similar to how Batman played, she's probably the one I like most out of the 4 as a character but if she is pretty much just Batman then I'll probably play one of the others just to mix it up. If the co-op is good I probably won't be able to play it anyway, most of my friends play on PC but mine isn't powerful enough I think and it apparently won't have crossplay.

thebardyspoon fucked around with this message at 10:28 on Aug 25, 2022

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Skwirl posted:

I just want it to be good because I want to play as Nightwing in a game.

He's playable in one of the Arkham games I think.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

BiggerBoat posted:

Both City and Knight had him for Challenge Maps but you couldn't really play as him for an extended period of time

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:

TwoPair posted:

Both City and Knight had him for Challenge Maps but you couldn't really play as him for an extended period of time

He also had a solo dlc in knight where you gently caress with Penguin

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

bunnyofdoom posted:

He also had a solo dlc in knight where you gently caress with Penguin

...you sure you didn't get that one from Nexusmods?

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:

Aphrodite posted:

...you sure you didn't get that one from Nexusmods?

Pretty drat sure

edit:
Serious, 10 seconds on google

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

BiggerBoat posted:

In DLC side missions, I want to do the main plot as him.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0qqQ4EqOgoM

There's a video of the Harley fight using Nightwing.

It's not bad but it feels like every person in the fight is a superhero or something with how many hits it takes to knock them down. And there's no costume damage on Harley or Nightwing.

I realize I'm probably nitpicking though. The person controlling Nightwing definitely knows how to play.

Harley's voice is bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

ThermoPhysical posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0qqQ4EqOgoM

There's a video of the Harley fight using Nightwing.

It's not bad but it feels like every person in the fight is a superhero or something with how many hits it takes to knock them down. And there's no costume damage on Harley or Nightwing.

I realize I'm probably nitpicking though. The person controlling Nightwing definitely knows how to play.

Harley's voice is bad.

I think "these characters aren't losing their clothing when fighting in a video game" is a pretty extreme nitpick considering there are like six games that do that and all of them are an excuse to show off anime tits. Even the earlier Arkham games tied the damage to plot events.