Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

I tow some stuff.

Haven't even had time to wash it or pull the stickers/light bar off from NEFR before it had to go back to work.

No experience at all with the hybrd ones. This is a twin turbo with air suspension and basically every other option imaginable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bjork Bjowlob
Feb 23, 2006
yes that's very hot and i'll deal with it in the morning

Motronic posted:

I tow some stuff.

Haven't even had time to wash it or pull the stickers/light bar off from NEFR before it had to go back to work.

No experience at all with the hybrd ones. This is a twin turbo with air suspension and basically every other option imaginable.

Nice! That's a first gen correct? (955 or 957?) Has the V8 given you any trouble? As I understand it, they removed the transfer case in the 2nd gen and onwards for weight saving - is that something you'd miss while towing? Not looking to tow offroad, but if the first gen is a better tow machine then it's worth considering.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
I've spent a fair amount of time towing a S2000 or Miata on a UHaul or Featherlite aluminum trailer with my parents 2016 Cayenne Diesel. 20mpg with cruise set at 75, feels like a Cadillac.

It has had a number of emissions related issues but nothing that prevented it from driving, I'd hazard a guess that it'd have less problems if it didn't just sit most of the time (<30k miles on it).

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Bjork Bjowlob posted:

Nice! That's a first gen correct? (955 or 957?) Has the V8 given you any trouble? As I understand it, they removed the transfer case in the 2nd gen and onwards for weight saving - is that something you'd miss while towing? Not looking to tow offroad, but if the first gen is a better tow machine then it's worth considering.

Yes, that's a 955 4.5 V8 twin turbo. At 120k miles the only engine-adjacent troubles I've had has been secondary air injection (the SAI pumps have plastic squirrel cage fans that shatter and throw pieces down the SAI tubes and clog the valves at the back of the heads) and now leaky valve cover gaskets. I had previously taken care of the other prevalent superior german plastics issue by replacing the coolant pipes under the intake with metal ones as well as the coolant Ts for the turbos. Other than self-inflicted stuff the only other real stuff that's gone wrong have been a couple of vacuum hoses (more plastic that get brittle and splits) and plug/coil replacement - they're on the 10th or so version of those coils and I guess still haven't figured it out. Whatever, I consider them a wear item at this point but I've had the set I installed in for 30k miles and everything is still fine.

As for the transfer case, it was skipped in lieu of a 7 or 8 speed transmission. These are 6 speed.

I really don't know how low the first is on the second gens - maybe it's enough to make up for that maybe not. This isn't really a rock crawling vehicle anyway so I'm not sure I'd miss it at all. It's definitely irrelevant to me when towing.

The absolute best thing about towing with this one (other than 500 HP) is the air suspension. Drop a trailer on there and it immediately levels. Load the trailer - levels back out. It's just so drat easy.

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)
Sold my 996 turbo. Paint was too nice (original and perfect) and I was stressing too much to drive it anywhere. I should have bought a shitbox.

Pr0kjayhawk
Nov 30, 2002

:pervert:Zoom Zoom, motherfuckers:pervert:
Congrats. What’s next?

I made the mistake of buying a super low mile Exige a few years ago. As they went up in value I lost the desire to mod them (which is what I originally wanted) and didn’t want to add miles. A beat 50k mile Exige with track mods would have been perfect.

morothar
Dec 21, 2005

Pr0kjayhawk posted:

Congrats. What’s next?

I made the mistake of buying a super low mile Exige a few years ago. As they went up in value I lost the desire to mod them (which is what I originally wanted) and didn’t want to add miles. A beat 50k mile Exige with track mods would have been perfect.

Can recommend. I picked up an Exige with 60k miles for €25K, and drove the wheels off it while it was our only car. Still looked great in the wedding pictures, even though the paint has a good few pockmarks up close.

Of course, I’ve now been paying storage for 5 years, but such is life.

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)

Pr0kjayhawk posted:

Congrats. What’s next?

I preordered a corolla GR.

In large part because I think it would be funny to say I drive a Corolla.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

gvibes posted:

Sold my 996 turbo. Paint was too nice (original and perfect) and I was stressing too much to drive it anywhere. I should have bought a shitbox.

This is me with my 13k mile S2000. I wouldn't say I regret it, but I really wish I would have bought one with more miles. Or another one to drive. I actually ended up buying it after my 996 turbo search.

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

You could just drive the car you know.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Same with the E30 M3 but that isn't super crazy low miles at 81.5k. I keep upping my agreed value insurance but I'm still nervous driving it around and can't really enjoy it how I would like to, it's getting submitted to BaT this week. If I ever have another it'll be a street legal track rat. Low mileage, high value cars are fun in theory but when their values get close to your pre-tax income or their sale could potentially pay off a mortgage it kind of sucks.

Still loving my 'high mileage' Cayman S which is a bit over 99600 miles. 100k miles it's getting a center radiator and a new AOS then paint correction and headlight polish followed by full ceramic coating.

Wife's started playing with the idea of trading in the Highlander for a Cayenne or Macan when she finishes nursing school next spring, probably 2015-2017 range based on prices. I'm trying to explain how on a Porsche EVERYTHING is an option and we need to look at what was available then find the options that matter to her.

NitroSpazzz fucked around with this message at 09:50 on Jul 25, 2022

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

NitroSpazzz posted:

Still loving my 'high mileage' Cayman S which is a bit over 99600 miles. 100k miles it's getting a center radiator and a new AOS then paint correction and headlight polish followed by full ceramic coating.

Have you had any issues in the last 30k miles mechanically? Sometimes higher mileage Caymans pop up and the prices on them are almost something you'd think about. I never really hear about higher mileage issues on the internet, but I think there's just not enough of them out there being driven around past 100k+.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Russian Bear posted:

Have you had any issues in the last 30k miles mechanically? Sometimes higher mileage Caymans pop up and the prices on them are almost something you'd think about. I never really hear about higher mileage issues on the internet, but I think there's just not enough of them out there being driven around past 100k+.

I bought it with 92.5k but from the records of the previous owner the only big thing was the shift cables failed somewhere in the upper 80k miles. He bought it with mid-70s and got hit with the bill for the big 80k service.

As the miles go up you're a lot less likely to see issues with the IMS, already rare on the M97 engine, but you may see bore scoring. Find a high mileage one with good records and enjoy.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
Whenever I've felt bad about putting miles on my fun cars, I've reminded myself that miles are cheap and cars are a super lovely investment.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

What's too hot out to drive your convertible? I had the Boxster out this weekend and with the lovely black exterior acting like heat magnet, I am starting to think there is a point of diminishing returns on the top being down...

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Anyone put a low temp thermostat an a M96? When I did my water pump last year, I did the thermostat at the same time (OEM temp) and it seems to be running a little hotter than previous - I'm wondering if it maybe had an low temp in it before.

Any brand to recommend?

ThirstyBuck
Nov 6, 2010

I love my high mileage E36 M3 for this reason. With 288k miles on it, it feels completely disposable so I don’t ever feel bad wringing it out.

ThirstyBuck fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Jul 25, 2022

Cinrac
Feb 22, 2004
Anyone know if European delivery increases or decreases the change of you getting an allocation for a car? I am contemplating a Boxster order.

http://www.porsche-code.com/PPE67XV2

Also roast my choices.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Cinrac posted:

Anyone know if European delivery increases or decreases the change of you getting an allocation for a car? I am contemplating a Boxster order.

Also roast my choices.

I have no idea on your chances, but I'd drive the hell out of that car. You have the "important" stuff for what that car should be (sport chrono, PTV, PASM) and then....whatever else that I assume you want but you didn't just check every box. So good on you.

All of my parts are in so the Cayenne is back under the knife after having the crap bet out of it at NEFR. Starting with purely preventative maintenance (water pump, coolant reservoir) and moving into valve cover gaskets, SAI valve issues, etc. Once I'm done under the hood I'm basically shotgunning the entire front suspension, replacing the carrier bearing and doing some minor suspension work to the rear. This is the "I don't want to have to think about it for at least another 5 years" thing.

Yes, I'm putting $2500 worth of parts and what would be $5k+ in labor into a truck that I bought for $15k 7 years ago. I literally don't know what else I'd replace it with so this is what's happening instead. In the before times like 3 years ago these were worth maybe $8k (of course all unmaintained train wrecks).

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Dreaming of Shock Diamonds

Cinrac posted:

Also roast my choices.

Based on a recent discussion with our local sales guy, European Delivery does not take up a dealer allocation slot at all. So choosing Europe delivery puts you into an entirely different stream(?) and is a surefire way to get a vehicle.

Edit: That is a very very nice spec. Especially the model designation delete, mechanical limited slip and smokers package (free extra storage).

McTinkerson fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Aug 13, 2022

Cinrac
Feb 22, 2004

Motronic posted:

I have no idea on your chances, but I'd drive the hell out of that car. You have the "important" stuff for what that car should be (sport chrono, PTV, PASM) and then....whatever else that I assume you want but you didn't just check every box. So good on you.

I kept ending up wanting a 911 GT3 with every option and despairing that I can’t pay that much. Then I decided since I’m really cross shopping a Miata (I’m 6’2” and don’t fit well) I probably need to tone it down to the essentials.

McTinkerson posted:

Based on a recent discussion with our local sales guy, European Delivery does not take up a dealer allocation slot at all. So choosing Europe delivery puts you into an entirely different stream(?) and is a surefire way to get a vehicle.

Edit: That is a very very nice spec. Especially the model designation delete, mechanical limited slip and smokers package (free extra storage).

I had heard that European delivery was separate. I am curious to see. I sent a message to the local dealer and we’ll see what I hear back.

I have read all these horror stories about no allocations and huge ADMs. We’ll see what happens.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

The downside of European Delivery is after you "get" your car, you have to turn it back in and wait for it to arrive again, which can take 2-3 months iirc, maybe even worse now. That said it's definitely something I want to do one day.

Also drat has the 718 always been 65k base? I thought it was like 56-58k

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
Friend of mine got his car. He owns a 812 Superfast and also a 1000hp GT-R and says this is the best street car he's ever driven, hands down.

200km later, it had to go back for a steering position sensor failure :doh:

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

Tell him if he wants, I can hold on to his 812 for him no charge

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Cinrac posted:

Also roast my choices.

Very nice. I would select "rear side intake grilles painted".

I'd also get 19" wheels but that's getting into more $ and you can do it later anyway.

morothar
Dec 21, 2005

Somebody talk me out of picking up a 2009 987.2 base Cayman with PDK.

One popped up around here a week ago, now priced at $30K. 60K miles, pristine service history, 3 owners. On paper, it looks so good I’m not sure if I even have to insist on a PPI. And the price seems solid for a .2

Will look at it in person tomorrow and see if I’m just looking at it through rose-tinted glasses, and due to the nostalgia I feel for our 2008 987.1 from back in the day.

Test drove a Supra 3.0 lately - too fast. A 2022 BRZ - fine in principle, maybe a tad too slow. The Cayman seems like a worthwhile alternative, and I loved our old .1. We only got rid of it in favor of an Exige.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Cinrac posted:

Also roast my choices.

Theoretically it gives the dealer another allocation.

Fwiw, I put a demand order in for a car a few months back. I’m still waiting for an actual allocation.

Cinrac
Feb 22, 2004

knox_harrington posted:

Very nice. I would select "rear side intake grilles painted".

I'd also get 19" wheels but that's getting into more $ and you can do it later anyway.

I thought about getting the T rather than the base but I’m not sure I want SPASM or the 20 inch wheels. I guess I wonder if 18 inch wheels would be better since I hope to drive it even on crappy roads and the width of the tires is the same between all the options. I guess the 19” would be a compromise. The extra 10 mm lowering with SPASM also concerns me.

Residency Evil posted:

Theoretically it gives the dealer another allocation.

Fwiw, I put a demand order in for a car a few months back. I’m still waiting for an actual allocation.

Yeah looking at the new market for the 718 or any Porsche seems pretty dire for getting what you want in any timely fashion.

AWWNAW
Dec 30, 2008

Went shopping for a manual 997 and ended up with this 2017 4S instead.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

McTinkerson posted:

Huh. That is good to know. Good friend of mine was super interested in orderingbut totally lost interest when the dealer basically told him it's probably not going to happen for 2 years, and by then who knows if they'll be IC or electric. I'll mention this to him.

Also, 2nd the nice spec.

Cinrac
Feb 22, 2004

AWWNAW posted:

Love the color! Congrats!

Pr0kjayhawk
Nov 30, 2002

:pervert:Zoom Zoom, motherfuckers:pervert:

AWWNAW posted:

Congrats. Count me impressed that you overshot your budget by 2x.

Manual or PDK?

AWWNAW
Dec 30, 2008

Pr0kjayhawk posted:

Congrats. Count me impressed that you overshot your budget by 2x.

Manual or PDK?

This is PDK with SPASM, rear axle steering, sport chrono. Way more than I was shopping for but uhh whoops.

Couldn’t find any manual 911s to test drive locally over several months, and didn’t wanna chance a long distance one. I test drove this one then headed to another dealer to test drive a manual 991.2 T and it sold before I could get there.

Gonna take this one on blue ridge parkway this fall I think.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

AWWNAW posted:

Awesome. What colour is that?

AWWNAW
Dec 30, 2008

knox_harrington posted:

Awesome. What colour is that?

Graphite blue metallic. Almost looks like a chalk color, but there’s a little metallic sparkle in bright light.

pipebomb
May 12, 2001

Dear God, what is it like in your funny little brains?
It must be so boring.
My 2010 Boxster calipers are looking very terrible. Spotty silver/gray. What do you folks recommend? Paint, wrap, aluminum covers or replacements? I reeeeaaallly don't want to spend hundreds of :10bux: if I don't have to.

Voltage
Sep 4, 2004

MALT LIQUOR!
Powdercoating or replacement are really the only options imo - wrapping will instantly melt, covers don't do anything other than look cheap and will possibly fall off or rub against the wheel.

CancerCakes
Jan 10, 2006

BrokenKnucklez posted:

Even the 944s are starting an upward trend in price if they are decent.

Luckily the 924 will never be a desirable car and will remain cheap.

Quoting this post from the first page of this thread cos... I want to buy a 924.

Anyone willing to admit they have one?

I'm thinking NA or S. Budget is 4.5k gbp for a car I can ideally daily drive. I have zero car mechanical experience so I would need something at least mechanically sound. Feels realistic, but I wouldn't even know what to look out for.

Voltage
Sep 4, 2004

MALT LIQUOR!

CancerCakes posted:

I want to buy a 924 I have zero car mechanical experience so I would need something at least mechanically sound. Feels realistic, but I wouldn't even know what to look out for.

Lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThirstyBuck
Nov 6, 2010

CancerCakes posted:

I want to buy a 924.

UN/post combo :perfect: