Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

happyhippy posted:

Fun fact, the sun is actually farther away right now than it is during winter.
Yup

e: 295 years ago, on August 13th 1727, the Moravian Church community at Herrnhut undergoes a Pentecostalist experience involving an orange.

Guavanaut fucked around with this message at 15:37 on Aug 13, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
If Liz promises to lock up the sun so it can no longer terrorise hard-working honest British folk then I'm on the truss bus

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Margaret Hodge sowing / Margaret Hodge reaping

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
Had an outdoors fire near us an hour or so ago.
Couldn't see exactly where it was - neighbours were suggesting a back garden, possibly verging on some [retired] playing fields just behind the block. Fire crew came and dealt with it relatively quickly.

The playing fields in particular are a concern. They haven't been used in at least a decade and when I had a quick walk down the surrounding alleys, the grass/weeds are shoulder high behind the metal railings and as dry as you'd expect. Won't take much for that to all go up and then you'll need a lot more than one fire engine and two hoses to deal with it.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
I am suffering today. I had my windows open all night but my place is roasting today. I think the overall air temps just aren't going down enough. Got a proper headache. :tif:

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

OwlFancier posted:

Never tried, is it expensive? I hoped it would generally be cheaper than lamb and I like the gameyness of lamb so I figured that would be more pronounced in mutton.

You're paying a little more for the 'halal' part probably but yeah it's not terribly expensive, and v good in curries. Finding a fatty bit is generally not a problem :shobon:

Deketh
Feb 26, 2006
That's a nice fucking fish

Jippa posted:

I am suffering today. I had my windows open all night but my place is roasting today. I think the overall air temps just aren't going down enough. Got a proper headache. :tif:

Same. The only windows I have that are safe to leave open are small toplights and the place is practically the same temp as when I went to bed.

Had some good results sticking a big fan in one of the larger windows while I was still up last night though, just wish I could leave it going overnight

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Whimsicalfuckery posted:

Absolutely stunning to see my wee home town get the recognition it deserves, for all the right reasons.

Also Moray Cup was the absolute best. We also used to have the Bon-Accord truck come round our houses where you could buy glass bottles of locally made fizzy juice of pretty much every variety.

Wait wait wait, there's a Nairn goon now? My mind is blown.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Jippa posted:

Time for you to take a shower... or several, throughout the day and definitely one before bed.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Just Another Lurker posted:

Time for you to take a shower... or several, throughout the day and definitely one before bed.

Unless you live in a place with a drought warning, in which case please don't waste water & consider only showering every second day (actual advice I've read lol)

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Drink lots and lots of water! Headaches from heat are usually a big with of dehydration.

Drink like 4 litres of water. (I think this is a US gallon but not sure of conversion so if I'm telling you to drink a swimming pool I don't mean that!)

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

A litre of water's a pint and three quarters

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

Drink lots and lots of water! Headaches from heat are usually a big with of dehydration.

Drink like 4 litres of water. (I think this is a US gallon but not sure of conversion so if I'm telling you to drink a swimming pool I don't mean that!)

Careful though, careful especially if you're not eating very much. It is very possible to drink too much water in one go. Pace yourselves.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
4l of water is too much unless you're out in the desert mid summer. Look up hyponatremia ( phone posting so sorry no link)

Too much water can wash salt out of your body.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

4l of water is too much unless you're out in the desert mid summer. Look up hyponatremia ( phone posting so sorry no link)

Yeah, this. Hyponatremia is what actually killed Leah Betts, for olds like me who remember when the media tried to tell us it was the ecstasy she took. She drank 7L in 90 minutes. Admittedly MDMA makes it harder to excrete water and did not help but that's still way too much water to be safe.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

A wet towel or something over your head will generally help i find, or just run your head under the tap for a bit if you have a lot of hair. Either way the water will evaporate off your head and take heat with it.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Not to mention that poor lady who died doing that radio show's "hold your wee for a Wii" contest.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

MeinPanzer posted:

In vague sauce chat, can anyone explain to me why so many chippies in this country will offer you a nice big piece of fish but give you the tiniest thimbleful of tartar sauce to go with it, and usually charge you like 3 quid extra for the privilege? They treat it like truffle oil or something, some precious luxury that should be applied to your meal one delicate drop at a time.

This poo poo doesn’t fly in Canada :colbert:

bring your own in with you imo

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Alternating pints of fresh water and water with a salt spoon of sea salt in it is what they do in many parts of Africa.

Every other pint tastes like (metaphorical) piss but it's better than life threatening brain injuries.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

HopperUK posted:

Yeah, this. Hyponatremia is what actually killed Leah Betts, for olds like me who remember when the media tried to tell us it was the ecstasy she took. She drank 7L in 90 minutes. Admittedly MDMA makes it harder to excrete water and did not help but that's still way too much water to be safe.

I remember watching the video about her death in PSHE and the teacher wearily turning round, asking the question "So what did you learn from this?" and being met with a class full of 13 year olds saying "Don't drink 7 litres of water in one go, lol"

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear

happyhippy posted:

Been in Cork for 15 years here, and its still an alien language.
I thought the Dublin accent was horrible, but holy poo poo Corkian.
What gets me is how a good subset of the female cork accent is gravely and hoarse, as if they smoke 100 a day.

i find it p easy to tune into accents. i work at the OU with an older man from Cork and i can understand him fine but it surprises me how often people from the other side of the irish sea don't pick up what he's saying

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
even in glasgow it only takes me 20 mins or so to tune back into the accent

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
then in another 20 mins i find myself making the nasally noises at the end of sentences

Deketh
Feb 26, 2006
That's a nice fucking fish
I've been wearing a wet baseball cap for a couple of days now and sitting next to a fan. It's not bad until you have to move

Whimsicalfuckery
Sep 6, 2011

forkboy84 posted:

Wait wait wait, there's a Nairn goon now? My mind is blown.

I stay in inverness now but yeah!

To contribute, looks like the heat has broken here, hopefully get a couple of rumbles of thunder heading south soon.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

If it could hold off until monday that would be nice as I have a day out tomorrow.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Mega Comrade posted:

I've got to say my personal experience is opposite to yours .

Owned a few ThinkPads, always been great. HP I'd never tough again, complete turd and constant linux driver issues, my hp devices have always died quickly. They also make the worst printers known to God.

For work I always get saddled with Dell which are poo poo I agree, BUT their business support is phenomenal so I get why companies like them.

Oh, I didn't recommend a HP printer. And HP's Intel side is fine for drivers, AMD... not so much. Now, anyway, back in the day the networking bits were more than a little difficult. And I get hives when I even think about installing Linux on something using Broadcom wireless. ThinkPads meanwhile have fallen off a cliff as far as build quality goes.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
has liz given any examples of the anti-semitism in the civil service or are we just at the point where we call things we want to destroy anti-semitic

Jeherrin
Jun 7, 2012
As someone who grew up in the Shneck it perturbs me how many goons seems to be in and around it

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

crispix posted:

has liz given any examples of the anti-semitism in the civil service or are we just at the point where we call things we want to destroy anti-semitic
This is exactly what David Graeber warned us about. Getting uncomfortably close to "[Karl] Lueger's anti-Semitism was of a homespun, flexible variety—one might almost say gemütlich. Asked to explain the fact that many of his friends were Jews, Lueger famously replied, 'I decide who is a Jew.'"

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

kingturnip posted:

I remember watching the video about her death in PSHE and the teacher wearily turning round, asking the question "So what did you learn from this?" and being met with a class full of 13 year olds saying "Don't drink 7 litres of water in one go, lol"
I was a bit too young for that, but I remember when Rachel Whitear died and the government asked schools to show everyone the picture of dead body as a warning against drug use. Every school kid thought was stupid because that picture was already on the front page of every newspaper and on every news report, so by the time your teacher held it up if anything you felt a bit bored.

raifield
Feb 21, 2005

Dabir posted:

Not to mention that poor lady who died doing that radio show's "hold your wee for a Wii" contest.

She died because she was drinking distilled water, which rapidly upset her electrolyte balance, leading to fatal water retention which caused her brain to swell and send her into a coma, along with multiple organ failure. She'd likely have lived drinking plain water out of the tap.

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

Mr President, the physical reality of Prime Minister Corbyn is beyond your range of apprehension. If you'll just put on these PINKOVISION glasses...

The Wicked ZOGA posted:

Dorset is on fire atm

Almost hosed with my ferry ride home this

Driving from the south coast to Lancashire, it's really clear just how parched most of the country is. We didn't see any green fields before Blackburn, admittedly not getting the best views from the motorways.

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

Guavanaut posted:

This is exactly what David Graeber warned us about. Getting uncomfortably close to "[Karl] Lueger's anti-Semitism was of a homespun, flexible variety—one might almost say gemütlich. Asked to explain the fact that many of his friends were Jews, Lueger famously replied, 'I decide who is a Jew.'"

I'm sad I didn't know who he was until he died. Now I'm going to re-read "Debt" in light of the things I've picked up about money while learning how stupid cryptocurrency is.

Especially in light of the current situation, I think actually understanding how money works is more important than ever - if only to explain to loved ones why Ann Widdecombe is wrong

---

Unrelated, some medium-good news

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2022/aug/13/sarah-everard-met-forced-to-halt-absurd-convictions-over-vigil

WTF is this though?

quote:

The six were accused of breaking Covid lockdown rules by attending the vigil. Some were previously convicted behind closed doors under the Single Justice Procedure (SJP), including Al-Obeid, who had been unaware she had received a criminal record until contacted by media.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
life atm sort of feels like the bit near the end of a civ game when your grassland starts turning into desert and you get pollution tiles and your big cities start to starve

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
and you just want it to be BC again when you were having fun harassing your neighbours with your one elephant you got as a prize from a village and looking forward to getting a chair to sit on in your throne room instead of a pile of rocks

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

crispix posted:

and you just want it to be BC again when you were having fun harassing your neighbours with your one elephant you got as a prize from a village and looking forward to getting a chair to sit on in your throne room instead of a pile of rocks

Man, the Civ II throne room was a great mechanic.

I used to keep the fancy leaves behind my throne for as long as possible. The penultimate throne looked better than the final one too I think.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I always feel like the operative question in civ is "ok now what"

like you launch the rocket, sell everyone your blue jeans and burgers, convert everyone to the church of dank memes, or conquer the world.

And then the game ends, and tells you you won.

What it should do is like the end of soma, the victory happens to someone else, you're just... there. And the world is on fire, and radioactive.

E: actually soma is good because it is basically what if someone made a game out of a guy who cannot even comprehend how wrong he is.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

I liked Civ Rev and am bad at normal Civ, I think this tells you all you need to know about me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

I don’t want to alarm anyone but it appears Kieth may have actually released a policy

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2022/aug/13/keir-starmer-demands-ban-on-raising-energy-prices?CMP=Share_AndroidApp_Other