Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Honest Thief posted:

when did all cutesy anime started not fully drawing characters lips? there's always some blank space in the lower lips now

??? drawing lips fully out in anime is in attempt to draw attention to them as a character trait, imho

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Honest Thief posted:

when did all cutesy anime started not fully drawing characters lips? there's always some blank space in the lower lips now

it’s been common for a pretty long time now, at least since the turn of the century though it’s probably older.
it’s a way of abstracting the facial features so that they can be simple and expressive while still implying a certain level of detail. you don’t want to give the characters fully-detailed lips but you also don’t want them to look like :)
putting a break in the line that represents the mouth is an economical way of suggesting 3D depth to the viewer.

Augus has issued a correction as of 18:37 on Aug 13, 2022

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Honest Thief posted:

Please be careful about describing the young mouths

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009

lollontee posted:

??? drawing lips fully out in anime is in attempt to draw attention to them as a character trait, imho

yeah but i meant like the full line that's usually meant to be a mouth, like your boob sonic pfp has

Augus posted:

it’s been common for a pretty long time now, at least since the turn of the century though it’s probably older.
it’s a way of abstracting the facial features so that they can be simple and expressive while still implying a certain level of detail. you don’t want to give the characters fully-detailed lips but you also don’t want them to look like :)
putting a break in the line that represents the mouth is an economical way of suggesting 3D depth to the viewer.

i c
it seems more pronounced now tho

HootTheOwl posted:

i only said the animes were cute, officer

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

You know what anime was kinda neat?

Blue Gender

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

(and can't post for 20 days!)

Gripweed posted:

Encouragement of Climb is good, you guys are being weird.

I think it's irresponsible to sell outdoorsman brands to little kids like this, but HBO bought Sesame Street so who gives a gently caress anymore. Snow Peak will help you realize the greatest moments of your life, kids.

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

DID NOT VOTE FOR FETTERMAN

Honest Thief posted:

each line on a character's face adds one year of age

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)

pillsburysoldier posted:

Blue Gender

Is it about gender?

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Blue Gender is about the earth coming out

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔
blue gender is bugs attacking earth. the blue part is earth i guess. the gender part is bugs.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

It's frustrating to even talk about, because its most interesting ideas are all spoilers. Even if they're malformed there's a lot to chew on. I reckon the biggest problem was splitting the show into two parts in the first place. The first season feels like it's meandering too long to get to a point, but the second season is almost purely plot driven. The sense of pacing is totally hosed, and there's no time to breathe. The end result is a story that explores the setting less than the other two SAC seasons, and communicates its ideas worse because it doesn't have enough time to make a point. Do I need to have seen the GiTS movies to understand it on a meta level? Because I suppose that's the only reason why I can even suspect what N is.

Just finished watching and it's a bit of a mess, even beyond the cgi. Did any of the phrases they pulled from 1984 towards the end of season 1 really map to any concepts from the book? Not that I much care for it, but that seemed a bit random. But really the cgi was pretty bad and their decision to portray inhumanity through inhuman movement was pretty daring when everyone looked like, whatever it was everyone looked like.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

tokin opposition posted:

Is it about gender?

It's more about the blues

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

pillsburysoldier posted:

Blue Gender

Of course you have blu gender

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

genericnick posted:

Just finished watching and it's a bit of a mess, even beyond the cgi. Did any of the phrases they pulled from 1984 towards the end of season 1 really map to any concepts from the book? Not that I much care for it, but that seemed a bit random. But really the cgi was pretty bad and their decision to portray inhumanity through inhuman movement was pretty daring when everyone looked like, whatever it was everyone looked like.

Using so many hamfisted references to 1984 makes sense, because one of the post-humans is a teenager. If that's the only political work he's ever read then it would make sense why all this stuff would resonate with him. I guess they thought that being so ham-fisted makes the inner workings of N obvious, but it absolutely does not. We never get to see what they do in Room 101. We don't know what the real difference is between N-po and N. This doesn't work as a political commentary if I can't even tell what the contrast with "sustainable war" is supposed to be.

They don't do a great job of explaining what "Sustainable War" is either. I'm rewatching the first season right now and the impression you get is that sustainable war looks like a video game, but the raiders they're fighting at the beginning are people given weapons by the post-humans so they can take revenge on the class that profits from sustainable war. So what exactly is it? I can infer from all the destruction that it's like a hot cold war with the big 4 powers testing their military hardware against each other to maintain a global MIC. But we never actually see what that's like. The other two seasons went out of their way to depict the state of global imperialism and the team's past complicity with it - but now they're not showing much of anything.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

HootTheOwl posted:

young mouth
get out of my mind

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Using so many hamfisted references to 1984 makes sense, because one of the post-humans is a teenager. If that's the only political work he's ever read then it would make sense why all this stuff would resonate with him. I guess they thought that being so ham-fisted makes the inner workings of N obvious, but it absolutely does not. We never get to see what they do in Room 101. We don't know what the real difference is between N-po and N. This doesn't work as a political commentary if I can't even tell what the contrast with "sustainable war" is supposed to be.

They don't do a great job of explaining what "Sustainable War" is either. I'm rewatching the first season right now and the impression you get is that sustainable war looks like a video game, but the raiders they're fighting at the beginning are people given weapons by the post-humans so they can take revenge on the class that profits from sustainable war. So what exactly is it? I can infer from all the destruction that it's like a hot cold war with the big 4 powers testing their military hardware against each other to maintain a global MIC. But we never actually see what that's like. The other two seasons went out of their way to depict the state of global imperialism and the team's past complicity with it - but now they're not showing much of anything.

I mean, I must confess that it took me most of the first season to turn on subtitles and find out they were talking about Sustainable War and not something called SWO and I'm not sure I got a less accurate picture of what it was because of that.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

lollontee posted:

Some artists almost always have fully illustrated lips, like JoJo's Araki or Kaneko, the shin megami tense artist.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
This is just Kamen Rider from nearly 15 years ago, it predates Symphogear

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YDP2uccxu34

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

W still owns and has one of the best theme songs

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.
https://twitter.com/vestenet/status/1558827252070195200?s=21&t=n3TWsjVgFMjebESSvwwBbQ

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
Have lips ever been the norm in anime? Sure you’ve got your JoJos and and your Escaflownes, but 90% percent have always just had a line. Astro Boy had a line, Gundam had a line, and whatever you like this season has a line.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

You can convey greater emotion through a characters eyebrows that you can with their lips

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.

Cao Ni Ma posted:

You can convey greater emotion through a characters eyebrows that you can with their lips

Have you seen Tanya the Evil?

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

War and Pieces posted:

each line on a character's face adds one year of age

This makes Saitama one of the youngest characters in anime history

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Gripweed posted:

Have you seen Tanya the Evil?

I sure haven't

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

Princess Jellyfish is good so far.

The tall nerd girl is basically lifted from ed edd and eddy

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

That show ruled from what I can remember. Also catchy music.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
https://twitter.com/NoodledoriAlt/status/1559004997630644224?s=20&t=5Umzk3OyFP2s6orZyFn_Qw

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Mr. Lobe posted:

Some artists almost always have fully illustrated lips, like JoJo's Araki or Kaneko, the shin megami tense artist.

haibokushitawa

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

lollontee posted:

haibokushitawa

gesundheit

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

lollontee posted:

haibokushitawa

Neither I nor Google know what you're on about

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

I'm still rewatching SAC 2045 and just got done with the first season. It's funny that when I watched the second part I'd completely forgotten about everything after the encounter with Gary Harts in the bunker, even though I remember watching them on the re-watch. It just drives home what a mistake it was to break it up into two distinct parts when the first season is so important to the second season thematically and in terms of plot. I have to admit that I appreciate the "sustainable war" aspect a lot more now seeing the way that the course of the war in Ukraine has gone, so it feels like it could've been better received if its release had better timing but it's still undeniably a mess.

The boxer post-human shows up for one episode, and they capture him - which knowing what post-human capabilities are like should've been a way bigger deal than it's presented as. Once he's in NSA custody he's also totally off the board and doesn't come back, which makes his episode totally superfluous. They also keep talking about the post-humans not having any emotions or personality, even though the Major already proved by baiting Yaguchi into a boxing match that they do, and aren't mere automatons. It kind of feels like that episode was filler written out to fill the run time. Prime Minister Tate's father in law getting his head punched off has no emotional or plot relevance. It only tangentially ties in to the Think Pol plot, and the corruption surrounding the Tokyo Reconstruction Committee probably didn't need a whole episode with a superfluous boxer to be told. e: It actually literally didn't, because the kid playing the King outlines the entire corruption scandal to Purin in cyberspace.

I might have more thoughts when I've re-watched the second part, but revisiting everything that's good about this series is only making it more frustrating with how badly it's all executed.

Pener Kropoopkin has issued a correction as of 23:27 on Aug 17, 2022

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
they made frieza black https://twitter.com/Dyvone/status/1559839238639722496?s=20&t=LO0l-mSc8FVbYLiU9jG1nw

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

my bet is its supposed to be purple

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Calibanibal posted:

my bet is its supposed to be purple

apparently it's called his Black form

Popy
Feb 19, 2008

goku black

frieza black

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
frieza changes color all the time, it's nbd. call me when he becomes straight.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

it’s funny how the manga got stuck using the color coded transformations from the show and movies. so every time goku’s hair turns a different shade they need someone to turn to the camera and say “wow his hair turned blue/red/yellow/white/green/pink/indigo”

Augus has issued a correction as of 06:26 on Aug 18, 2022

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H1QKyB_0P0E

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

:thunk::mason::brainworms::tinfoil::thunkher:

Augus posted:

it’s funny how the manga got stuck using the color coded transformations from the show and movies. so every time goku’s hair turns a different shade they need someone to turn to the camera and say “wow his hair turned blue/red/yellow/white/green/pink/indigo”

ought to include an em spectrum graph from the scouters where the only indication is the nm reading