Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

A safety-conscious little mouse!

Scruff McGruff posted:

people seemed to be using yolks

GreatGreen posted:

legitimately has bought a yolk setup.

Are you two having a giggle?

GreatGreen posted:

I upgraded to an x56 HOTAS

I hope you got it cheap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

Xakura posted:

Are you two having a giggle?

I hope you got it cheap.

First of all, thank you text-to-speech for spelling "yoke" wrong. Love all you do. But no, my buddy really did buy a yoke. He digs it. It's not my thing but he likes it.

As for the x56, yep I got it at retail. I really like it. It's obviously not the absolute peak of hotas setups but for a hotas for somebody like me who considers flight sims to be great fun sometimes but not a "main hobby," it's a fantastic setup.

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Aug 11, 2022

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

Jesus, kid, you're almost a detective. All you need now is a gun, a gut, and three ex-wives.
gently caress me, even with you pointing it out I didn't notice until GreatGreen's response. That's what I get for mobile posting.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
I prefer the yoke because it's what I'm used to and it's what is available in *most* of the planes I like to sim, and honestly the range of motion on the last sticks I've flown with are ridiculously weird feeling even if you're simming something that does have a stick. Now, if you spend a bit more money, I assume that improves, but not really as much as you'd hope.

froody guy
Jun 25, 2013

When forum warrioring about yokes, typing becomes less accurate. Facts. :laugh:

illectro
Mar 29, 2010

:jeb: ROCKET SCIENCE :jeb:

Hullo, I'm Scoot Moonbucks.
Please stop being surprised by this.

froody guy posted:

I wonder how many civilian simmers out there use a yoke setup instead of an hotas. I mean, except those who actually build replicas and are super hardcore for their own reasons, is there any real benefit in using a yoke?

I used to fly everything with an X-52 Pro, then I got the Saiten Yoke, Throttle and Pedals for Christmas which encouraged me to go into real flying. Then I stopped using the yoke and switch to a Logitech 3D pro in my left hand because the yoke was just too sticky and because I’m flying a Cirrus SR20 with a side yoke in my left hand.
Wish I had $999 for a proper side yoke.

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005
I bought the Thrustmaster Boeing yoke pack a few months ago in addition to the current airbus pack I have but haven't had the chance to try out the yoke yet since I only recently moved into a place I could actually set up the yoke in a dedicated spot.

froody guy
Jun 25, 2013

illectro posted:

I used to fly everything with an X-52 Pro, then I got the Saiten Yoke, Throttle and Pedals for Christmas which encouraged me to go into real flying.
I get that and I obviously like the idea of 'being truthful to the real thing' but without any type of force feedback my impression is that it becomes one of those things that finally gives you the exact opposite result, breaking the immersion and making you feel like driving a car in the sky instead.

illectro posted:

Wish I had $999 for a proper side yoke.
I think the Winwing ones are technically side sticks being the airbus replica ones. Btw, I just looked at the Cirrus SR20 cockpit now and... that's one hell of a weird looking cockpit!

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

froody guy posted:

I get that and I obviously like the idea of 'being truthful to the real thing' but without any type of force feedback my impression is that it becomes one of those things that finally gives you the exact opposite result, breaking the immersion and making you feel like driving a car in the sky instead.

I think the Winwing ones are technically side sticks being the airbus replica ones. Btw, I just looked at the Cirrus SR20 cockpit now and... that's one hell of a weird looking cockpit!

There are definitely better and worse yokes. I'm pretty happy with the Honeycomb... it doesn't feel real, but it feels better than a lot of sim yokes I've used, and honestly: we have a certified FTD at work with servos and all sorts of poo poo to "weight" the flight controls properly and it still feels like poo poo compared to the real thing, so it's a matter of how close you want to get and how much money you have to spend.

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005
I have to spend time in a full motion sim for recurrent every year, the sim still handles noticeably different from the actual airplane despite costing somewhere past $10 million, so chasing "realism" on a PC simulator gets silly past a certain point.

I have a Warthog HOTAS that I'm perfectly happy with for both civilian and military sims, so just get whatever controller hardware you find enjoyable/comfortable to use.

illectro
Mar 29, 2010

:jeb: ROCKET SCIENCE :jeb:

Hullo, I'm Scoot Moonbucks.
Please stop being surprised by this.

froody guy posted:

but without any type of force feedback my impression is that it becomes one of those things that finally gives you the exact opposite result
In my case the SR20 has spring loaded controls, so it’s actually sorta consistent. Large aircraft without reversible controls is also a case where feedback doesn’t happen.

The Stick you posted is well a joystick, the cirrus aircraft use side yokes, so the pitch is controlled by sliding the stick back and forth
Here’s it in action during a recent landing, note the stick on the right side is right handed.
https://youtu.be/nRnG983LSc0

So the sim equivalents are stupid expensive
https://realsimgear.com/products/realsimgear-cirrus-side-stick-yoke

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

I have both a honeycomb setup and a VKB setup that I use for different things, and I'm happy with both. But that's a lot of money to dump on a sim setup. If you just want something you can use for everything, I'd probably recommend a VKB Gladiator. It's a very good stick for the price (currently $135 for the "NXT EVO Space Combat Edition"), and you can settle with using the little dials on the bottom for throttle stuff instead of buying a separate throttle quadrant (though I use an old X52 throttle that still works well). They're a russian business though, and I don't know what the import situation is like currently. It does appear that they're accepting orders, but shipping is expensive.

I use the yoke for planes with yokes because it feels more "authentic," even if it's not realistic. After all, all you're ever doing in flight simulator is chasing vibes, so just go with the controls that give you the vibes you're looking for.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 05:30 on Aug 12, 2022

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

I have a VKB gladiator stick, VKB rudder, and a big virpil throttle. It could hardly be a better setup. I'm still looking at a honeycomb set every other week. Would be nice to have a nice feeling yoke and a big trim wheel.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
I have a CH yoke and throttle quadrant from when civilian sims was my primary simming experience. They're not hooked up irght now, but I've been pondering how to do it without disrupting my VIRPIL set up.

hannibal
Jul 27, 2001

[img-planes]
I have a VKB Gladiator NXT and I like it a lot. I previously used a T-16000. (I probably have joystick review posts in this thread somewhere - I have gone through a lot, including a Warthog, Saitek X52, and whatever that fancy Logitech one was before they bought Saitek)

I still have my MS Sidewinder FFB Pro and used it so much back in the day that regular joysticks still feel 'weird' to me.

I'm thinking about getting some of the VKB modules... the FSM-GA and SEM, specifically.

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

Jesus, kid, you're almost a detective. All you need now is a gun, a gut, and three ex-wives.
I can highly recommend that if you're a lefty and don't want to force yourself to learn to fly right handed, the VKB Gladiator Evo with the Omni throttle adapter is a great (and basically the only) right hand throttle.

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

And you thought they were cute and cuddly.

I have a full CH Products HOTAS setup and a Honeycomb Alpha/Bravo setup.

While I like my Honeycomb, it takes up so much room on my desk. Also I find the Alpha Yoke a bit heavy/stiff and have a difficult time making small control movements.

Right now I'm using my CH Pedals, Throttle, and a MS Sidewinder Force Feedback 2.

Eventually I'd like to mod the FFB2 and replace the grip with a Suncom F15 grip that I have in storage.

Edit: I also need to replace and resolder the pots in my CH gear as I'm starting to get some jitter on various axii. I already have the replacement pots, I just haven't had the time or motivation to do it.

JayKay fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Aug 12, 2022

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

I have both a honeycomb setup and a VKB setup that I use for different things, and I'm happy with both. But that's a lot of money to dump on a sim setup. If you just want something you can use for everything, I'd probably recommend a VKB Gladiator. It's a very good stick for the price (currently $135 for the "NXT EVO Space Combat Edition"), and you can settle with using the little dials on the bottom for throttle stuff instead of buying a separate throttle quadrant (I use an old X52 throttle that still works well). They're a russian business though, and I don't know what the import situation is like currently. It does appear that they're accepting orders, but shipping is expensive.

I use the yoke for planes with yokes because it feels more "authentic," even if it's not realistic. After all, all you're ever doing in flight simulator is chasing vibes, so just go with the controls that give you the vibes you're looking for.

When I got my VKB Gladiator they shipped from China so I don't think it'll be too hard to get your hands on, just pricey yeah. They certainly are good sticks though.

froody guy
Jun 25, 2013

First time I see that side yoke system (both the real one and the sim thing) and... hu... drat... :jebcry: I see a 3D printer in your future

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mIO1B-M6C_E

:captainpop:

editing for future reference:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1xlfxX843ra_KglRJZQncA8IkZVLRKvQo/view
https://github.com/MHeironimus/ArduinoJoystickLibrary
https://playground.arduino.cc/Code/Keypad/

froody guy fucked around with this message at 11:06 on Aug 12, 2022

froody guy
Jun 25, 2013

JayKay posted:

I have a full CH Products HOTAS setup and a Honeycomb Alpha/Bravo setup.
I have a full CH setup too and I was looking at the honeycomb stuff but as regards the yoke I have the impression I'll end up never using it for the reasons you just mentioned and while I heard only great things about the bravo throttle, it still looks plasticky AF and too much of a gadget to justify the cost. I mean, it's all money I would rather divert in a Virpil upgrade of my CH setup so... I'll probably do that.

JayKay posted:

Edit: I also need to replace and resolder the pots in my CH gear as I'm starting to get some jitter on various axii. I already have the replacement pots, I just haven't had the time or motivation to do it.
I don't think you need this but here's a schematics of the wiring of the throttle. Some CH guy sent me it since I had a DOA button that I needed to fix and couldn't ship the unit back to them across the pond for obvious reasons.

https://mega.nz/file/g48FDSST#GCHT1kKcz6aQpFQSPlzcKuM1BBhnQBeP6xHtk-johJc

AzureSkys
Apr 27, 2003

I just got a Honeycomb combo. I also have the Saitek and CHP yokes and some joysticks. My problem has been wanting to do multiple things with one arrangement, like fly a GA plane, an airliner, a fighter, or a spaceship. I've collected it all over a decade or so but never utilize it all since setting up or changing it up is a pain.

The Honeycomb combo seemed ideal since it puts a lot of stuff into just two controllers for most of what I want to fly. I barely got it out of the box, but so far it seems great, especially the mounting options. I like the Bravo since it has both GA and airliner handles that area easy to switch out. I can then set my HOTAS stuff to the sides for anything needing that so it's a bit simpler than what my crazy combination of stuff was before.

So, now I have a Saitek yoke, autopilot and switch panel, and like 4 throttle quadrants, a CHP yoke and rudder, and some Goflight modules (throttle, gear/trim and a couple com/nav panels) that I need to get rid of. If anyone is interested I'll throw them in SA Mart for a deal before heading to ebay.

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

And you thought they were cute and cuddly.

Don't get me wrong, overall I like my Honeycomb gear and I think they're a good value. They occupy a price point that has been non-existent in the Yoke market for a very long time. You either went Logi/CH with their yoke or had to dish out some cash for a $1000+ product. There wasn't a middle ground till Honeycomb came around.

One of my biggest concerns is long-term use/durability. I'm not sure they're as bulletproof as my CH gear but time will tell.

froody guy
Jun 25, 2013

A couple of noobish questions about the G1000 and vfr navigation, aka VOR to VOR navigation. First of all: it looks like in MSFS many VOR, not only of small airports but also on relatively big ones, are not active. What I don't understand is this: the frikken flight planner allows you to select them as departure, destination or midpoints, they get recognized by the NAV thing on the top of the PFD (main display) but no morse code can be heard and most of all no needle appears in the CDI. So why they simply don't allow you to pick up a dead VOR in the first place? Is there an offline tool to check if the VOR is actually alive in MSFS?
Here's an example, flying from BEL to ISY, at a certain point ISY gets finally acquired in the NAV2 display but... no needle on the CDI

Second: the GPS! Is there a way to disable the GPS planner in the MFD? I don't even know how to dial in a flight plan with GPS waypoints so I never did that but when you build your flight plan as a VOR to VOR plan, apparently MSFS decides that you need the GPS too and there you have it as soon as you login. Problem is: first of all sometimes the VOR used are not in the same location of the runaway nor the airport so you get a wrong heading to follow, but most of all the DME works only as a GPS based DME. How can I change the distance to my next waypoint to be based on the VOR I select and not the GPS waypoint I get automatically dialed in by the flight planner?
Here is what I mean, still flying from BEL to ISY, at a certain point I decided to dial in a new VOR (the MAC VOR at 116.00) but the distance was still shown to ISY because that was my next waypoint in the flight plan. And yes I know in the pic ISY is the VOR selected but trust me even when I swapped do MAC the pink part didn't change (also, pink = GPS so...wtf??!!)

Bedurndurn
Dec 4, 2008
To the right of the LCD display, there's a white box with DME, NAV1, ADF, NAV2, AUX. Click NAV1 and NAV2 if you want to hear the morse code.

I loaded up a flight near BEL and I can hear it and get guidance from it, but it required clicking in the triangular knob on the CRS-)BARO knoby thing. I think the button marked CDI on the LCD screen should have the same function, but it doesn't seem to. Maybe a bug? Maybe I don't know what that button does?

You can click the PFD Opt button to get more doodads on your CDI, like the distance to your VOR

Edit: Yeah I made it up to ISY and that thing's dead. The DME can find it (which I think is just cheating because it knows where it is from the GPS stuff), but there's nothing at all coming out of it as a radio broadcast. No morse code whatsoever, no guidance to the VOR nav stuff.

Bedurndurn fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Aug 13, 2022

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005

froody guy posted:

A couple of noobish questions about the G1000 and vfr navigation, aka VOR to VOR navigation.

To answer your first question, ISY isn't actually a VOR, it's a standalone DME, so there's no radials for the VOR receiver to follow.

MSFS doesn't seem to differentiate between VOR/DME and just DME on the map page.

For your second question, DME on the G1000 isn't shown by default, but if you hit the PFD OPT softkey and then DME, it'll show DME next to the HSI when there's a valid signal.

You can also do "direct to" the three letter ID for the navaid, and that'll give you the distance on the top of the PFD

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Pretty sure airplanes with G1000s don’t actually have DME, since it’s both quite a bit more expensive and less precise (why would you want to deal with slant range if you don’t have to) than the GPS equipment that’s already installed in the airplane. It’s not 0lbs either, so it impacts payload.

Like, I get the desire to figure out the dark arts of obsolete navigational techniques.

…But they are obsolete. :v:

If you really really gotta do that stuff, grab yourself an airplane without a G1000 suite.

Bedurndurn
Dec 4, 2008

azflyboy posted:

To answer your first question, ISY isn't actually a VOR, it's a standalone DME, so there's no radials for the VOR receiver to follow.

MSFS doesn't seem to differentiate between VOR/DME and just DME on the map page.

For your second question, DME on the G1000 isn't shown by default, but if you hit the PFD OPT softkey and then DME, it'll show DME next to the HSI when there's a valid signal.

You can also do "direct to" the three letter ID for the navaid, and that'll give you the distance on the top of the PFD

How can you tell? Skyvector shows it as a VOR

https://skyvector.com/airport/EGPI/Islay-Airport

Edit:

If you zoom in to it on MSFS's world map, it shows it as

I found another source that show it as a DME, so it's Skyvector that's wrong. Certainly explains the poor guy's confusion. (And my own)

Bedurndurn fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Aug 13, 2022

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
As more and more radio nav aids are retired (in the real world and the sim) it's going to be more and more difficult to use them to simulate "old fashioned" flying.

It would be cool if someone put together a "classic" nav database to use with older aircraft but that is probably a lot of work. You'd need custom charts too.

froody guy
Jun 25, 2013

So yes I based my assumptions on Skyvector where for ISY I saw the symbol of VOR + DME but I didn't notice that in MSFS it's actually marked as DME only. I didn't even know there was such a thing as a DME only vhf thing. Anyway... thanks to all those that pointed me out how to have the little DME to the VOR in the HSI/Bearing indicator, that's all I was asking. As for the GPS, of course I'll learn it, but oh boy isn't flying VOR-only the real deal?

Also, I learned one more thing today: flying on Norway at sunset is pretty glorious. Not only you get 2 hrs long sunsets and a beautiful screenshot generator, but if you're lucky you can get dat mun too :pilot:

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Is there any way you can tell your flight assistant / co-pilot to just hold the plane steady while you run some numbers?

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Zero One posted:

As more and more radio nav aids are retired (in the real world and the sim) it's going to be more and more difficult to use them to simulate "old fashioned" flying.

It would be cool if someone put together a "classic" nav database to use with older aircraft but that is probably a lot of work. You'd need custom charts too.

This right here. In meatspace, I’d say probably fully a third of our radio navaids are out of service with no expectation of a return to service. They’re just permanently off until we figure out how to remove them from the myriad of airways and procedures that they served.

(Hell, a lot of airspace boundaries are defined by either navaids, navaid radials, or navaid fixed-radial-distances, all of which go away if you remove the navaid from the database.)

It’s a complicated issue. :v:

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
i'm starting to get some wonky behavior from my vr goggles and virpil hotas and i'm thinking a powered usb hub might be the answer.

anyone have a recommendation?

Smithwick
Jun 20, 2003

Stringent posted:

i'm starting to get some wonky behavior from my vr goggles and virpil hotas and i'm thinking a powered usb hub might be the answer.

I picked up a j5 brand hub from Best Buy last year and have not had an issue. Any from a reputable brand should be fine. Avoid the random brands on Amazon because who knows what QC any of those white label products have gone through.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Stringent posted:

https://www.amazon.com/Anker-7-Port-Adapter-Charging-iPhone/dp/B014ZQ07NE

anker is a reputable brand, and this hub works well for me.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
cool thanks

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Second.

My current rig has a positively worrying number of USB plugs.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

MrYenko posted:

Second.

My current rig has a positively worrying number of USB plugs.

universal serial widebody airbus

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

I had to look it up once, but you can daisy chain up to 5 USB hubs, and in total have about 127 devices. Having an extensive setup with devices that all go somewhere else raises these questions.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

Lord Stimperor posted:

I had to look it up once, but you can daisy chain up to 5 USB hubs, and in total have about 127 devices. Having an extensive setup with devices that all go somewhere else raises these questions.

This is useful, thanks! I’ve always wondered if USB hubs just worked off some wonky proprietary data combining protocol that was unique to each one of them, like if each one was just slapped together by some seedy company and the code for combining the data was just hacked by some drunk in a garage somewhere.

Glad to know USB hubs are natively supported by the technology. Makes me feel better about using them.

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Aug 14, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aTDZTMpGvww