Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Rigel posted:

No. He never did have a security clearance, and he still does not. Presidents do not need a security clearance, and in the past, newly-elected presidents granted clearance to their predecessor as a courtesy..... until now when Biden did not give a security clearance to Trump. (Its unclear if Trump gave Obama a security clearance or if Obama had to wait for Biden).

Tbh I don't think I want Obama to have a security clearance either. Nor any former presidents really.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran

Professor Beetus posted:

Tbh I don't think I want Obama to have a security clearance either. Nor any former presidents really.

Former presidents are often looked to as advisors by current presidents, so a degree of clearance is practically required in those cases.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

We know that his lawyer needs a lawyer pronto

popehat had some advice for this situation

https://twitter.com/Popehat/status/1558490588307107845

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018
Again it seems the whole system is predicted on the assumption that anyone who makes it to be president is a rational, well meaning person. The system is wide open to abuse by anyone who ignores the 'gentlemen's agreement'

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

jarlywarly posted:

Again it seems the whole system is predicted on the assumption that anyone who makes it to be president is a rational, well meaning person. The system is wide open to abuse by anyone who ignores the 'gentlemen's agreement'

Something about the initial intent of electors judgement goes here.

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

mdemone posted:

No the DOJ saw something bad.

I don't understand what this means? Like I know we don't know details but can you give an example of what it MIGHT be? I'm confused

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

cr0y posted:

I don't understand what this means? Like I know we don't know details but can you give an example of what it MIGHT be? I'm confused

They presumably knew roughly where the top secret documents were. The implication is that the DOJ saw someone go into a room who DEFINITELY should not have ever gone into that room.

edit: just in case its not clear, once the DOJ finally did find out that Trump still had secret documents, along with asking him to return those documents they also wanted security video recordings, which they got. There are some suggestions that they saw something in the video that alarmed them.

Rigel fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Aug 13, 2022

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

cr0y posted:

According to the NYT,

quote:

The Justice Department also subpoenaed surveillance footage from Mar-a-Lago, including views from outside the storage room. According to a person briefed on the matter, the footage prompted concern among investigators about the handling of the material. It is not clear what time period that footage was from.

So the DoJ saw something they didn't like on the tapes, which lit a fire under them to get the stuff out ASAP.

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009
I think the bad thing the DOJ saw on the security could be something as simple as a cleaning person going in and out of the room where the documents are located. Like that seems somewhat benign but it could be a huge deal. How hard would it be for a foreign Intel agency to get an spy (acting as a cleaning person or something like that) in that room? It would probably be trivially easy.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Mendrian posted:

Trump has such absolute toddler brain that it would not surprise me in the least that he took the documents just because he wanted them and then something happened since then. Or more likely someone in his inner circle took advantage of his declining mental state to make some money.

EDIT: Like to put this another way, why even steal the documents? With modern technology it's not hard to digitize even large quantities of paper. And certainly he can make copies. So the only explanation is that the idea entered his brain in the 11th hour and he just wanted them, and maybe somebody got into them since then but who the hell knows.
Yeah to me it doesn't make much sense. He could've tweeted the secrets out with his iphone if he wanted. He's obviously an idiot and broke the law by taking the documents home, but the thing about espionage investigation,

Fuschia tude posted:

Why is he being investigated for Espionage Act crimes, then, rather than mere Records Act mishandling of classified information?
I don't believe that those codes being listed in the warrant mean that it's necessarily Trump himself being investigated under all (or any) of them. Like if I stash some drugs in your garage, that's the relevant dug USC that the warrant for searching your garage is going to list.

Especially now that we're hearing stuff about hem seeing something on the tape. The espionage investigation could be against that Chinese woman or someone like that who got too close.

Again, I do hope we finally get him on something, but just trying to temper my expectations.

Uglycat
Dec 4, 2000
MORE INDISPUTABLE PROOF I AM BAD AT POSTING
---------------->
Y'all don't think the deleted secret service texts gave doj leverage to use trumps own assigned agents to keep an eye out for natl security threats, document them, and pass them higher up the chain, do ya?

Like, that's entirely implausible?

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.
https://twitter.com/Ring_Sheryl/status/1557923240877690883

Are we that broken?

slurm
Jul 28, 2022

by Hand Knit

If he goes after Trump, and 2024 is a lock for the GOP because free elections essentially end after 2022, it would be better to maintain the precedent to avoid reprisals maybe

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

This is completely apropos nothing, it's just a "Dems bad :hurr:"

It's totally irrelevant to anything currently happening.

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

slurm posted:

to avoid reprisals maybe

Hahahahahahahaha hahahahahahahaha haha

No

slurm
Jul 28, 2022

by Hand Knit

cr0y posted:

Hahahahahahahaha hahahahahahahaha haha

No

Biden is probably decorum poisoned enough to think that he can serve out his term under a GOP house and Senate and peacefully transfer power to a fairly elected Republican

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

jarlywarly posted:

Its not like Obama, Bush, or Carter can tomorrow call the CIA/NSA/FBI and say give me document X. Biden would (presumably) say hey I guys I am having an issue with Russia, what do you think of (classified material).

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

slurm posted:

Biden is probably decorum poisoned enough to think that he can serve out his term under a GOP house and Senate and peacefully transfer power to a fairly elected Republican

That I can believe.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Mendrian posted:

EDIT: Like to put this another way, why even steal the documents? With modern technology it's not hard to digitize even large quantities of paper. And certainly he can make copies. So the only explanation is that the idea entered his brain in the 11th hour and he just wanted them, and maybe somebody got into them since then but who the hell knows.

Because he's the real elected president and everyone knows it but all the fraud stole it from him so gently caress you I get to keep this and hug my flag.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Professor Beetus posted:

Could you elaborate on why?

Obviously I can think of individual former presidents who shouldn't have security clearance, but it's basically just a very thorough background check. Unless something actually changes with the (now former) president, it doesn't do much good to specifically remove their clearance and there's the off-hand chance it'd be useful to talk to them about something later, e.g. "hey when you were meeting with the Prime Minister of Djibouti..."

What does a blanket removal of security clearance upon leaving office really accomplish?

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Xiahou Dun posted:

Obviously I can think of individual former presidents who shouldn't have security clearance, but it's basically just a very thorough background check. Unless something actually changes with the (now former) president, it doesn't do much good to specifically remove their clearance and there's the off-hand chance it'd be useful to talk to them about something later, e.g. "hey when you were meeting with the Prime Minister of Djibouti..."

What does a blanket removal of security clearance upon leaving office really accomplish?

The big ol' list of war crimes, I imagine. Same reason why former presidents probably shouldn't be in any kind of advisory position either.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Fuschia tude posted:

Why is he being investigated for Espionage Act crimes, then, rather than mere Records Act mishandling of classified information?

They say it's accuracy; to accurately say "they're lying" requires knowing what another person knows, or has convinced themselves they believe.

But over the last few years I've seen more and more outlets and reporters just outright state Trump is lying, especially about the 2020 election results.

The reason they won't say Republicans are lying is because the media is right-wing like all corporate interests. Has nothing to do with accuracy. The corporate media had no problem inaccurately reporting that Saddam was building nukes, or getting a "body language expert" on to 'prove' Bernie was lying when he denied saying a woman can't be president, or just outright making up nonsense like reporting President Bernie would order mass executions in Central Park.

E: lol how many times did they report "this is the moment Trump became president", was that ever accurate. They want him to be respectable so bad.

Yinlock posted:

The big ol' list of war crimes, I imagine. Same reason why former presidents probably shouldn't be in any kind of advisory position either.

Current presidents either for that matter.

VitalSigns fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Aug 13, 2022

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Yinlock posted:

??????????????????????????

Can you draw this out for me? Cause you just listed a bad thing and then vaguely connected it. I don't see how this follows at all. How on earth would security clearance, or even the advice of the former president, create war crimes that the current administration wasn't already doing? Of course the war crimes are bad and we shouldn't do those, but this is like trying to blame what kind of hat another person besides the murderer is wearing. What situation are you imagining that almost results in a war crime but at the last minute is stopped because Carter would need a background check before he reads a document.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

He's saying we shouldn't be asking former presidents for advice because they are war criminals and will probably recommend doing more war crimes at some point.

I think it's just a joke because it's not like the current president, also a war criminal, wouldn't be able to think of doing the war crimes himself or already have other war criminal advisers suggesting he do some more war crimes anyway.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp

Xiahou Dun posted:

Counterpoint: Once they're out of office, why would they need a security clearance?

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Counterpoint: Once they're out of office, why would they need a security clearance?

well, it is because of:

Kestral posted:

Former presidents are often looked to as advisors by current presidents, so a degree of clearance is practically required in those cases.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
Just gonna butt in on the conversation and point out that having a level of security clearance does not, by itself, give you permission to actually do things with said clearance.

Security clearance works such that having access to something requiring a level of security clearance requires you to have an equivalent or higher level of clearance. Access to a thing is not permission to utilize said thing. Or, put another way, the Janitors at ultra high clearance facilities have ultra high security clearance. If they're actually seen using the computers, and can't justify how it's part of their janitorial duties, then they're likely to be fired and are in serious danger of being found guilty of a crime. Security clearance is not a universal access card, where they can just show up to a location, loudly announce their clearance, and expect to get in.

So a former president having security clearance just seems like a bypass so that current presidents can invite them to things without having to continually jump through the smallish hoops of getting the appropriate level of visitor's pass or whatever, or so they can be present at places like Camp David or the Oval Office or wherever on extremely short notice, should the current president want to pick their brain about their knowledge about whatever thing they're currently discussing.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Veryslightlymad posted:

Just gonna butt in on the conversation and point out that having a level of security clearance does not, by itself, give you permission to actually do things with said clearance.

Security clearance works such that having access to something requiring a level of security clearance requires you to have an equivalent or higher level of clearance. Access to a thing is not permission to utilize said thing. Or, put another way, the Janitors at ultra high clearance facilities have ultra high security clearance. If they're actually seen using the computers, and can't justify how it's part of their janitorial duties, then they're likely to be fired and are in serious danger of being found guilty of a crime. Security clearance is not a universal access card, where they can just show up to a location, loudly announce their clearance, and expect to get in.

So a former president having security clearance just seems like a bypass so that current presidents can invite them to things without having to continually jump through the smallish hoops of getting the appropriate level of visitor's pass or whatever, or so they can be present at places like Camp David or the Oval Office or wherever on extremely short notice, should the current president want to pick their brain about their knowledge about whatever thing they're currently discussing.

Exactly.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Because you might need to call George Bush IV and check with him why he got the CIA to install some particular guy as the despot of Alberta in the aftermath of the Canadian civil war. That discussion would inevitability require disclosing state secrets.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Alternatively, give them the title of Dowager President, they get to live in a White House bedroom and have a security clearance, but they also have to watch the First Kids while the current President is away on state business.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

VitalSigns posted:

Alternatively, give them the title of Dowager President, they get to live in a White House bedroom and have a security clearance, but they also have to watch the First Kids while the current President is away on state business.

Throw in a mandatory silly hat and I'm all over it.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!

slurm posted:

this sounds like an argument that Biden should do a coup if he loses in 2024, not anything to do with pardoning Trump (whom he very obviously hates, and also everyone in his political base hates)

Mirotic
Mar 8, 2013

Re the surveillance footage, from Maggie:

https://twitter.com/maggieNYT/status/1558606423222804481?t=5lkH-VVUlzXZkEPRh4Wkjg&s=19

https://twitter.com/maggieNYT/status/1558606619566546945?t=IUaZgsyKMOdM1TOLGedKbg&s=19

Moving boxes, eh? Are there more, then?

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Xiahou Dun posted:

Someone with an axe to grind, personal or political, using their privilege and access to information for personal gain. Financially, politically or otherwise. Just think of the poo poo people get up to in congress with regards to investments, banks and insider trading information alone and then extrapolate that outward when someone knows where nuclear weapons are and how to launch them or who is buying them. Or let's say some die hard born again True Believer type longing for Armageddon has information about the weapons we give to Israel or something.

There's the whole thing where that person is no longer president and someone else was elected so...

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

VitalSigns posted:

I believe that the founders considered given former presidents automatic senate seats. Would have been interesting.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

You know, that's another option for funniest person to have their fingerprints on the docs. Would love to see Maggie go down for her hard work at legitimizing Trump.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Mirotic posted:

Moving boxes, eh? Are there more, then?

Hard to say, but if this was after DOJ talked to them, then Trump probably decided he wanted to show his secret stash to someone off camera.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

BiggerBoat posted:

Someone with an axe to grind, personal or political, using their privilege and access to information for personal gain. Financially, politically or otherwise. Just think of the poo poo people get up to in congress with regards to investments, banks and insider trading information alone and then extrapolate that outward when someone knows where nuclear weapons are and how to launch them or who is buying them. Or let's say some die hard born again True Believer type longing for Armageddon has information about the weapons we give to Israel or something.

There's the whole thing where that person is no longer president and someone else was elected so...

1) sure, that’s a good reason to remove it for that person. I said that.

2) that’s not what security clearance is.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Xiahou Dun posted:

There's a million advisers to the current President already, we don't need the ex-presidents hanging around pulling strings and "advising" in the shadows. Also Obama was a dog poo poo president and the only advice anyone should need from him is "don't be a naive dumbfuck who thinks the GOP will ever do anything in good faith." Unless they have an actual on the books job that requires it, they should gently caress off to a farm upstate and stay out of the way.

This is, I'm sure, a fairly extreme position and I don't necessarily feel like I'm going to convince anyone, but I wanted to elaborate a little bit as to why I hold that belief.

e: also yeah the war crimes a little bit I guess but that just goes along with being the POTUS, dating back pretty much to the inception of the country and the conquest and genocide of the native peoples living here.

Professor Beetus fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Aug 14, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Yes but how does removing Jimmy Carter’s (or whoever’s) security clearance help any of that?

You just pointed out a bunch of reasons to not have FPOTUS as an advisor, which, yeah, fair points. But none of that has to do with security clearance.