Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
People noticed Data/Graves's behavior, they just figured he was trying to emulate grieving or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

Wesley and Alexander duel to the death

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Lal was the only tolerable tng child.

The Chairman
Jun 30, 2003

But you forget, mon ami, that there is evil everywhere under the sun

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

People noticed Data/Graves's behavior, they just figured he was trying to emulate grieving or something.

yeah, they just write it off as Data doing a Data thing, which brings up the question of how often offscreen he was workshopping random personality tics he read about somewhere on a captive audience for everybody to just roll their eyes and ignore it

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

I just got my order of "first ten Star Trek movies" DVD-box from the mail, since where I live there isn't any way to watch these movies legally from online. That box included two DVDs of something related, no idea what.

I actually thought I bought the Blue-ray -box but whatever.

I have seen all that stuff before although I have no recollection of ST5 or most of TNG, but I still reserve a right to comment each and every one of them, after I have watched that.

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

The Chairman posted:

yeah, they just write it off as Data doing a Data thing, which brings up the question of how often offscreen he was workshopping random personality tics he read about somewhere on a captive audience for everybody to just roll their eyes and ignore it
Data's a lot weirder in general in those early seasons, like the one where he gets a pipe and pretends to be Sherlock Holmes during senior staff meetings.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Data with cowboy mannerisms was the sweet spot.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Lord Hydronium posted:

Data's a lot weirder in general in those early seasons, like the one where he gets a pipe and pretends to be Sherlock Holmes during senior staff meetings.

Actually yeah, in retrospect weird murder "Data" in Datalore doesn't seem that far fetched, especially because Data's introduction as a character in Encounter At Farpoint has him lifting Wesley out of the water on the holodeck by his loving neck and grinning like a serial killer as he holds him suspended in the air completely at his mercy.

Season 1 Data is straight up horrifying at times.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
Also a lot more fun and interesting than late-TNG "beep boop i have added a new subroutine to my social interactions programming" :geno:

Seemlar
Jun 18, 2002

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

11001001 (I'm almost positive they reused footage from Star Trek III and superimposed the Enterprise-D model over the movie Enterprise)

A fun thing is that Probert hated this

quote:

Going into the spacedock was ludicrous and I was fighting tooth and nail to get them to not do that. The producers simply shrugged their shoulders and said, “Well, we’ll say it’s a bigger spacedock,” but that logic really didn’t work for me. The system that I proposed was that the Enterprise to be serviced and docked on the existing space station exterior, because it has an umbrella-like rim — a mushroom head, if you will — under which the Enterprise could have been docked by connecting the dorsal replenishment systems, but… There’s a lot of things that sort of fell by the wayside and it is what it is.

Not an uncool idea. On the other hand... :swoon:

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

The Enterprise going in/out of spacedock loving rules.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

CLAM DOWN posted:

The Enterprise going in/out of spacedock loving rules.

Keep going

I am almost there

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

It keeps the rain off the warp engines.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
Rewatching Datalore from Season 1 of TNG and laughing that Riker specifically asked Data if the body had a dick

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I can see why young me gave up on Enterprise in S3. This Xindi arc is incredibly tedious. Some good episodes here and there but good god I’m four episodes from finishing it and I just need it to E N D. I still think the show is way better than I gave it credit back in the day, but if I didn’t have the ability to just netflix skip some of these episodes or fast forward to the next one I’d have noped out halfway through.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Worf posted:

Keep going

I am almost there

You’ll love the new Beavis and Butthead movie,.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
"Shut up Wesley"

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

Worf posted:

Keep going

I am almost there

The best spacedocks are the ones with edges

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to know
Dorsal replenishment system is what I call it too.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

some kinda jackal posted:

I can see why young me gave up on Enterprise in S3. This Xindi arc is incredibly tedious. Some good episodes here and there but good god I’m four episodes from finishing it and I just need it to E N D. I still think the show is way better than I gave it credit back in the day, but if I didn’t have the ability to just netflix skip some of these episodes or fast forward to the next one I’d have noped out halfway through.

Season 3 of Enterprise is definitely one of those seasons that actually could have benefited from being a 10 or 12 episode season. The ending arc just kind of drags when it should really be rushing to a final confrontation with the Reptilians, the Sphere Builders, and the Weapon purely because they had to fill in 24 episodes and only had the story momentum for about half that number.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Just found the most squandered moment in DS9 all of Star Trek. They gave Rene Auberjonois his Charles Foster Kane destroys a room moment and cut away after only ten seconds. Ridiculous

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

Now, Too Short A Season, there's a story that could have been pulled off a lot better in third or fourth season. I actually really like the premise of that one.

You can say this for a lot of S1/S2 episodes.

Can you imagine The Royale in S5? :swoon:

Also Probert was right about Spacedock. I was a kid who was just old enough to have a few years as a TOS fan under my belt before TNG existed. I immediately noticed the size discrepancy and hated it, one of the first of a long line of nitpicks that would plague me, as they do most Trek nerds. :colbert:

bennyfactor
Nov 21, 2008

Powered Descent posted:

It keeps the rain off the warp engines.

Starbase Worldport

Only registered members can see post attachments!

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire

bennyfactor posted:

Starbase Worldport

That building looks like it would be made to catch all of the dirty engine rain right in the middle for a nice delicious thick soup.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

bennyfactor posted:

Starbase Worldport

*Air traffic controller supervisor smugly files nails*

:smugbert:

That entire sequence loving owns. I know people don't really like that movie (though usually like that scene)

Not enough movies involve blasting out of space dock in a stolen ship to go save your friend

moose47
Oct 11, 2006

I love how Data goes through such drastic changes in character throughout the series but wasn’t he supposed to have been in Starfleet for 20 or so years already? Did his past crewmates just put up with Season 1 levels of bizarre behavior that whole time?

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Last time I watched S1, I felt like Data settled into his groove about halfway through. It’s just his early season behavior is so bizarre that it feels like it lasted longer.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

moose47 posted:

I love how Data goes through such drastic changes in character throughout the series but wasn’t he supposed to have been in Starfleet for 20 or so years already? Did his past crewmates just put up with Season 1 levels of bizarre behavior that whole time?

I get the sense that previous crews basically treated him like a robot and didn't really befriend him, and he had less opportunity to evolve. The Enterprise crew engaged with him as a person and friend and thus he blossomed.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

moose47 posted:

Think of it this way: It took 20 years for Data to grow up. He joined Starfleet almost immediately after being activated, and his brain was modeled heavily after the human brain, and it takes quite a while for a human brain to mature. Obviously Data started with advanced capacity for reason and decision making, but more or less none for intuitive thought or emotional intelligence.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

I think the novels basically have Data spending his pre-Enterprise time as an extremely efficient paper-pusher

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

A.o.D. posted:

Think of it this way: It took 20 years for Data to grow up. He joined Starfleet almost immediately after being activated, and his brain was modeled heavily after the human brain, and it takes quite a while for a human brain to mature. Obviously Data started with advanced capacity for reason and decision making, but more or less none for intuitive thought or emotional intelligence.

Kind of makes you wonder what they were thinking giving him a commission at mental age 10 though

Kei Technical
Sep 20, 2011

skasion posted:

Kind of makes you wonder what they were thinking giving him a commission at mental age 10 though

Well you've got to get him on the books so he can pass for lieutenant at the mental age of 18

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Mr Midshipman Data

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Kei Technical posted:

Well you've got to get him on the books so he can pass for lieutenant at the mental age of 18

Maybe he got a waiver for the "subtle social cues at a diplomatic cocktail party" portion of the entrance exam.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Astroman posted:

You can say this for a lot of S1/S2 episodes.

Can you imagine The Royale in S5? :swoon:

Also Probert was right about Spacedock. I was a kid who was just old enough to have a few years as a TOS fan under my belt before TNG existed. I immediately noticed the size discrepancy and hated it, one of the first of a long line of nitpicks that would plague me, as they do most Trek nerds. :colbert:

Ehhhh, fifth season is where the series started getting a bit stuffy. I guess if they went for more of a horror angle maybe, but I think part of The Royale's charm is the absurdity woven into the scenario, which I don't think the late-TNG writing staff would have been willing to indulge.

And, sure, Probert was correct about it not being right, but there's simply no way there was going to be any other approach to docking the Enterprise; the money just wasn't there to build a new space station model, or even to haul out the Spacedock model to shoot new exterior footage of it.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Fifth season is where you really start to notice the particle of the week stuff that dragged down Voyager.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YgQf0P47VHY

Imagine how much more meaningful this would have been if it was on the Big D.

Or if... the rest of the movie had followed through on this theme.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light
I was watching an episode of the late 80s version of Concentration and this was the puzzle.

Spoilered for potentially offensive image.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Seemlar posted:

quote:

Going into the spacedock was ludicrous and I was fighting tooth and nail to get them to not do that. The producers simply shrugged their shoulders and said, “Well, we’ll say it’s a bigger spacedock,” but that logic really didn’t work for me. The system that I proposed was that the Enterprise to be serviced and docked on the existing space station exterior, because it has an umbrella-like rim — a mushroom head, if you will — under which the Enterprise could have been docked by connecting the dorsal replenishment systems, but… There’s a lot of things that sort of fell by the wayside and it is what it is.

That makes so much more sense than just a weird giant mushroom hangar. More like mooring spacecraft instead of parking them.

some kinda jackal posted:

It's really rough and even the exciting moments are often dumb or aggravating in their own way. Everything that wasn't good in the first two seasons is enhanced as the writers grapple with their feelings about 9/11 and don't even really some to any good conclusion.

Then the writers got fired and season 4 is the best the series has to offer.