Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

i have a strange fixation in the USCA and it's really fun if you can game the mechanics to get more immigrants early on. Although this is mostly in mods that get rid of the usas migrant attraction bonus (they also start you out in the middle of a big uprising so you have to actually work to keep it together, also free militancy for passing reforms)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
The Vickies are the only pdx games where I have reached the end date more than maaaaybe once.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

The Vickies are the only pdx games where I have reached the end date more than maaaaybe once.
Yeah, same here. The fact that the game puts more emphasis on what's going on within your borders than where they are makes continuing to the end a lot more interesting. An EU empire mostly feels like a big blob, while the endgame of a Vicky campaign is where all your decisions really start to accumulate and build on each other, telling a story in the economy and populace of your country. Doesn't hurt either that it's very easy to compare a country to its historical counterpart, and that this historical counterpart existed within living memory.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Vicky is the shortest game by far, and I think does a better job of keeping you engaged to the very end. In eu4 the games over when you have an unstoppable blob, in ck3 once you've played a few generations of your dynasty you've probably experienced everything that playthrough has to offer. In hoi4 the war is usually won by 44 or 45, the extra years are just in case you're really slow.

I think because you just don't have that much time in Vicky you want to try maximizing your score or accomplishing whatever goals you have down to the last second.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Agean90 posted:

i have a strange fixation in the USCA and it's really fun if you can game the mechanics to get more immigrants early on. Although this is mostly in mods that get rid of the usas migrant attraction bonus (they also start you out in the middle of a big uprising so you have to actually work to keep it together, also free militancy for passing reforms)

Immigrants definitely would have been useful in my game, as the pop boost would have helped out with my national focuses and soldier numbers, but I didn't get very many. How exactly are you supposed to game the mechanics? For most of my playthrough, I just didn't have the majority needed for any reforms, and as far as I know that's the main factor when it comes to immigrant attraction.

I think I did alright, anyway. There seems to be a point around the middle of the game where you go from struggling financially to making tons of money. I'm not sure what the main cause is (financial techs coming in or your incipient industrialization), but it's happened pretty reliably in the three games I've played so far. That allowed me to focus on getting more soldiers and more brigades, and the rest is history. United States of Central America on both sides of the isthmus :cool:.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Phlegmish posted:

Immigrants definitely would have been useful in my game, as the pop boost would have helped out with my national focuses and soldier numbers, but I didn't get very many. How exactly are you supposed to game the mechanics? For most of my playthrough, I just didn't have the majority needed for any reforms, and as far as I know that's the main factor when it comes to immigrant attraction.

I think I did alright, anyway. There seems to be a point around the middle of the game where you go from struggling financially to making tons of money. I'm not sure what the main cause is (financial techs coming in or your incipient industrialization), but it's happened pretty reliably in the three games I've played so far. That allowed me to focus on getting more soldiers and more brigades, and the rest is history. United States of Central America on both sides of the isthmus :cool:.

Basically Vicky 2 operates on accelerationist logic, in that the best way to change the government is mass unrest and the threat of violence. The more militancy your population has the more likely the conservatives in your gov are to support reforms.

So you take event choices that add militancy over more reasonable choices, hike up tarrifs so people have to pay more for poo poo, or declare war on some country that can't pose a threat, like say Haiti, and just chill while your pops get more and more angry. You then use that anger to pass reforms to boost your immigration

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Also if you're playing a monarchy with elections, immediately put the reactionary party in power after election day

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

also specifically for immigrants the most important thing by a country mile is universal voting. Think that's like a hidden +100% modifier on its own

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I've never hit endgame in EU4 vanilla but goddamn I've hit it many times in Anbennar.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Agean90 posted:

Basically Vicky 2 operates on accelerationist logic, in that the best way to change the government is mass unrest and the threat of violence. The more militancy your population has the more likely the conservatives in your gov are to support reforms.

So you take event choices that add militancy over more reasonable choices, hike up tarrifs so people have to pay more for poo poo, or declare war on some country that can't pose a threat, like say Haiti, and just chill while your pops get more and more angry. You then use that anger to pass reforms to boost your immigration

for non-USA new world tags the easiest way to craft the government to your desired form is to keep slavery legal for way too long as that will provide a population of eternally militant folks to scare the conservatives into passing universal healthcare, free schooling for all, etc. etc.

this is however probably the gamiest and scummiest tactic in a game full of gamey and scummy tactics, so ymmv on whether you want to actually use it

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Ah, the Brazil Gambit

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

ThatBasqueGuy posted:

and here's where the imperialism comes in

I'm getting flashbacks to every time you wandered into the only coal province in South America.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

In my Brazil game I almost felt guilty that it took me so long to outlaw slavery (I think it was seriously only at the turn of the century), then I remembered it was in-character since the exact same thing happened with historical Brazil, and also that Paradox games have always been genocide simulators anyway

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Phlegmish posted:

You're supposed to find/make a mod that changes the US's innate/exclusive bonuses to be generic unlockable bonuses to immigration for democratic states in the Americas.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

Agean90 posted:

I have only played with the HFM, but in that version of the game I really like the USCA, it's a fun start with clear and interesting routes to expand.

I'm not sure if it's in the base game, but in HFM it's even got events to cover taking the Yucatan and Panama and accepting Mayan culture. And it's got the HFM events/decisions to boost migration, so after a few decades I was the second most popular destination in the new world. You can also just purchase the British territories in Belize.

I'm hoping it's got a bit more province density and detail in Vic3 to show the actual coal deposits in central America rather than forcing you to get ugly borders from invading south America just to prop up your industry. And letting you build the Panama canal yourself, rather than having a GP take the province from you with no prior warning or choice to decline.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Agean90 posted:

Just did a Papal States game and all the liberal agitation let me get all the political reforms by like 1860 or so. Plus, the springtime of nations generated so much militancy even then that I got to do two healthcare reforms before social reform desire even existed. The most important thing is to get the upper house based on population.
Then Sardinia-Piedmont apparently had an event that unified all of northern Italy and it stole one of my states so I quit the game :smithicide:

A Buttery Pastry posted:

You're supposed to find/make a mod that changes the US's innate/exclusive bonuses to be generic unlockable bonuses to immigration for democratic states in the Americas.

I just modded it into the immigration NF so it actually does something

GrossMurpel fucked around with this message at 10:17 on Aug 6, 2022

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.
it's so funny they added multiple NFs that just don't work lol

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go
The immigration NF is for internal migration only

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.

Farecoal posted:

The immigration NF is for internal migration only

yes but the modifier is too small to affect real internal migration and internal migration is a tiny fraction of POP movement anyway.

i like vicky 2 but only because it's a Vicky not because it's well balanced or polished

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

I experimented with the immigration NF in my Portugal game for a while, but it didn't seem very effective. Assuming it's indeed supposed to work for colonial migration.

Agean90 posted:

Alright, I'm going to try this. If I understand correctly the goal is to accumulate militancy until your existing government accepts reforms, not to change governments after a revolution, right? I'm just scared I'll have to deal with massive revolts all the time

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

I think the immigration focus also directs immigrants to the targeted state. Like it won't make you more likely to get external immigration, but those people who do move to your country will be more likely to settle in a state with that focus.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Well, my Chile game ended up being a dud, particularly immigration-wise. Despite deliberately picking event options that increased militancy, until about 1900 I just couldn't get it high enough to pass any reforms. My pops were simply too well-behaved, even when I set tariffs to the maximum percentage. Is there something else I was supposed to be doing, or is Chile just particularly unsuited to the accelerationist strategy? I briefly considered re-introducing slavery, but I couldn't do that either since I didn't have a reactionary majority.

MuffinsAndPie
May 20, 2015

I know researching everything you can that involves plurality can help. I remember the tool-tip for suppression mentioning that it's only a temporary stopper for your peoples wants, and it'll give them a higher desire later down the line. I'm not sure what more you could do. Maybe not having a local military presence can help, kinda like EU4 rebels?

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
The best thing is to start a war and then completely blow off your original wargoal.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
Starting pointless wars in general is both historically realistic and a great way to make people mad.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

It won't with for Chile but in any monarchy including a fully constitutional one you can change the ruling party yourself at any time at the cost of militancy. You can use that as often as you want and get maximum militancy easily.

Party In My Diapee
Jan 24, 2014
I'm not sure that raising militancy is the most useful way to eventually do some reforms. Don't you just get angry reactionaries that don't want changes, unless consciousness is raised?

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
High militancy makes normal conservative governments willing to do reforms no matter what's causing it. Yes it's a bit dumb and you can also get rebels that will try and reverse them depending on who is militant but that's just how it is.

Jackie D
May 27, 2009

Democracy is like a tambourine - not everyone can be trusted with it.

VostokProgram posted:

It won't with for Chile but in any monarchy including a fully constitutional one you can change the ruling party yourself at any time at the cost of militancy. You can use that as often as you want and get maximum militancy easily.

There's a timer on that, you can only change once a year I think

Obliterati
Nov 13, 2012

Pain is inevitable.
Suffering is optional.
Thunderdome is forever.

Phlegmish posted:

Well, my Chile game ended up being a dud, particularly immigration-wise. Despite deliberately picking event options that increased militancy, until about 1900 I just couldn't get it high enough to pass any reforms. My pops were simply too well-behaved, even when I set tariffs to the maximum percentage. Is there something else I was supposed to be doing, or is Chile just particularly unsuited to the accelerationist strategy? I briefly considered re-introducing slavery, but I couldn't do that either since I didn't have a reactionary majority.

The 'meta' way to generate militancy is to declare a war on some minor on the other side of the globe and then do nothing and just let it run

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Turns out you guys were right - declaring war on Haiti and then doing nothing while rejecting their peace offers was by far the fastest way to get the required militancy. Switching ruling parties did help a bit as well, but you're hampered by the fact that you can only do it once a year, and not every party even gives you a significant of militancy when you switch to them. Anyway, I was able to pass every single reform by 1865:

I do have to say that the amount of immigration I'm getting seems to be rather limited (+10 from Rome, etc.), and it's dwarfed by my internal migration streams. Also, a caveat if you decide to try this, you will probably end up having to deal with massive reactionary revolts. Fortunately for me, the stacks were quite dispersed, or they definitely would have been able to enforce their demands.

Another pro tip, speaking from personal experience: keep a decently-sized stack in your capital province at all times, so Jacobin rebels can't pop up, occupy the province, and impose a regime change after just 30 days.

Jacobins :argh:

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Phlegmish posted:

I do have to say that the amount of immigration I'm getting seems to be rather limited (+10 from Rome, etc.), and it's dwarfed by my internal migration streams.

You know about the migration mapmode, right? That shows you how many immigrants you got that month so you don't need to watch your pop increases and count it up in your head. It's normal that shitloads of people migrate internally
You should get way more once China westernizes, but 1k pop growth with all reforms still seems kinda low

E: Oh god, rebel hunting for 30 years in Brazil without having any railroads sounds like hell

GrossMurpel fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Aug 13, 2022

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

all reforms is step 1

step 2? you must murder the USA

feller
Jul 5, 2006

step 3 is puppet portugal

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

https://twitter.com/producerjohan/status/1558546217151389696

EricBauman
Nov 30, 2005

DOLF IS RECHTVAARDIG

EU4 is the only game I've ever preordered in my life. And I ended up not playing a lot of it because it came with a free copy of CK2 which was way more interesting. Coming from EU3, the mechanisms in EU4 just didn't seem as big a step forward as the ones in CK2.

And I do actually still think that the focus on individual persons rather than the state would be an ever better fit for EU than it is for CK. So many wars in the EU timeframe were over dynastic stuff (at least as justification) and personal relations between leaders.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

EricBauman posted:

EU4 is the only game I've ever preordered in my life. And I ended up not playing a lot of it because it came with a free copy of CK2 which was way more interesting. Coming from EU3, the mechanisms in EU4 just didn't seem as big a step forward as the ones in CK2.

And I do actually still think that the focus on individual persons rather than the state would be an ever better fit for EU than it is for CK. So many wars in the EU timeframe were over dynastic stuff (at least as justification) and personal relations between leaders.
Yeah, the lack of actual dynastic gameplay in the EU series is a wasted opportunity, and completely unfitting for the era. Not like you need to make it a full character system like CK, but you should definitely have a dynastic tree showing how the various rulers are related and where a possible heir might also be the heir to some other throne.

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O_J0PlLw-vI

This game just popped in my head today, it's a shame it got cancelled.

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Guerilla war struggle is a new entertainment.
Fallen Rib
This feels like a strange change https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/threads/ck3-changes-to-flavor-pack-pricing.1538700/
It also makes me worried about any future V3 DLCs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EricBauman
Nov 30, 2005

DOLF IS RECHTVAARDIG

Star posted:

This feels like a strange change https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/threads/ck3-changes-to-flavor-pack-pricing.1538700/
It also makes me worried about any future V3 DLCs.

To me, flavor packs have always been one of those 'Eh, maybe if it's in the christmas sale for 2.99 a piece' things, and a change like this will only cement this opinion, and I think it will for a lot of people.