Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

i evolve my manky water to primeape water

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil_Greven
Feb 20, 2007

Whadda I got to,
whadda I got to do
to wake ya up?

To shake ya up,
to break the structure up!?
death valley got pretty hosed by all that water
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vn4IJFERCRM
and for some reason all of europe is intent on visiting it
e: oh and i guess nobody bothered putting signs out

Evil_Greven has issued a correction as of 04:47 on Aug 13, 2022

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Evil_Greven posted:

death valley got pretty hosed by all that water
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vn4IJFERCRM
and for some reason all of europe is intent on visiting it
e: oh and i guess nobody bothered putting signs out

good so I shouldn’t be asked about a pipeline from lake michigan anytime soon

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

A washed out road packed with stranded European tourists because we don't bother with road closure signs or any other sort of help, just go gently caress yourself and good luck!

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

what is the deal with europeans and death valley

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Cup Runneth Over posted:

Storing water long-term seems like a bad idea, it'll get all manky.

Buy Katadyn micropur tablets. 20€ for 100 pills. One pill sterilizes 1L of water and the water stays good for a year, maybe years.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

hifi posted:

what is the deal with europeans and death valley

at a guess because there is nothing even remotely similar in Europe so it naturally becomes a tourist destination plus it's drivable from Las Vegas which is itself a hugely popular tourist destination

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

From the hard streets of Moscow
First dog to touch the stars

Plaster Town Cop

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

perhaps you, like the water, need to touch grass :cool:

i have literal video proof posted on this very page of me touching grass

also grass is loving miserable and i hate that i'm forced to have any

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug

Pryor on Fire posted:

A washed out road packed with stranded European tourists because we don't bother with road closure signs or any other sort of help, just go gently caress yourself and good luck!

Truly the American experience.

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

From the hard streets of Moscow
First dog to touch the stars

Plaster Town Cop

SirPablo posted:

Truly the American experience.

nowhere near a legitimate american experience, the guy in the properly equipped vehicle helped them all out without charging $500 each.

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug

Harik posted:

nowhere near a legitimate american experience, the guy in the properly equipped vehicle helped them all out without charging $500 each.

True, or telling them to go back to Mexico.

Dog Case
Oct 7, 2003

Heeelp meee... prevent wildfires

Laterite posted:

poor seattlites, thought of cascadian subduction and died

gently caress that, i moved here on purpose. Knowing that the earth could explode and melt our bodies from the lungs out or collapse and crush and grind us under an unimaginable weight of water and debris makes us powerful. It's like figuring out that what other people think of you doesn't affect you. You cannot kill us in a way that matters

OK baizuo
Mar 19, 2021

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://twitter.com/AZmilitary1/status/1558401540892803072

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006
That doesn’t seem possible. I claim image manipulation or some other false-color palette.

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

European heatwaves are getting hotter and bigger faster than almost anywhere else because of this
https://i.imgur.com/yS9A72u.mp4

nature posted:

Accelerated western European heatwave trends linked to more-persistent double jets over Eurasia

Both frequency and cumulative intensity of heatwaves show a much faster increasing rate in Europe compared to the rest of the midlatitudes for the large majority of land grid points (Fig. 1c, d). In particular, heatwave days show a mean increase over Europe of +0.61 days/decade, compared to +0.21 days/decade for the rest of the midlatitudes (Fig. 1c), constituting a ~3 times faster rate for Europe. This accelerated increase for Europe is even more pronounced when looking at heatwave cumulative intensity, which shows a ~4 times larger trend compared to the rest of the midlatitudes (Fig. 1d). The distributions of decadal trends of both heatwave metrics of the two regions differ significantly (0.99 level of significance) according to a Kolmogorov-Smirnov statistical test
https://www.nature.com/articles/s41467-022-31432-y

poo poo's gonna get way worse real fast

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.

TeenageArchipelago posted:

I mean if we're talking about the cascadia tsunami we have to talk about the massive earthquake that will cause it too. It's not like cascadia is any more prepared for that

https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2015/07/20/the-really-big-one
I remember when that came out and everyone not from the PNW thought we all were going to immediately die and would tell me so.

It's pretty much BS. Seattle has around half the overall damage risk of S. California, and the earthquake itself would be relatively far, so even a 9.0 wouldn't be apocalyptic. Not saying we wouldn't get our hair mussed, but the deaths would be a few thousand, tops.

Now the Seattle fault, that's a different story.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

Harik posted:

i have literal video proof posted on this very page of me touching grass

also grass is loving miserable and i hate that i'm forced to have any

You posted video of someone touching grass. The veracity of the data you've supplied is unknown and possibly questionable.

cat botherer posted:

I remember when that came out and everyone not from the PNW thought we all were going to immediately die and would tell me so.

It's pretty much BS. Seattle has around half the overall damage risk of S. California, and the earthquake itself would be relatively far, so even a 9.0 wouldn't be apocalyptic. Not saying we wouldn't get our hair mussed, but the deaths would be a few thousand, tops.

Now the Seattle fault, that's a different story.

C-SPAM › Weatherdammerung 2022: the deaths would be a few thousand, tops

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

death valley is like a giant poop shelf that germans feel magnetically attracted to visit and inspect.

Luneshot
Mar 10, 2014

Grundulum posted:

That doesn’t seem possible. I claim image manipulation or some other false-color palette.

Many weather/imaging satellites have color images which are partially synthesized from near-infrared data, but unfortunately that image is not too far from the truth (although calling it like the Sahara is an exaggeration).

Similar results from imagery taken yesterday by a different spacecraft:

https://epic.gsfc.nasa.gov/
This is from the EPIC camera on DSCOVR, which is specifically designed to produce images close to what the human eye would see. Western Europe (and the southwestern UK) look pretty drat brown.

doomisland
Oct 5, 2004

hifi posted:

death valley is like a giant poop shelf that germans feel magnetically attracted to visit and inspect.

Classic Germans in Death Valley story:
https://www.otherhand.org/home-page/search-and-rescue/the-hunt-for-the-death-valley-germans/

OK baizuo
Mar 19, 2021

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://twitter.com/CopernicusEU/status/1557629671063306244

from a better source:
https://twitter.com/defis_eu/status/1557277607737151489

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
instead of flying in a space ship to mars let’s just turn the earth into mars. much easier and more profitable.

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug
Elon Musk populating earth-mars

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
Maybe we will finally have to figure out how to make biodomes work.

Jeff Fatwood
Jun 17, 2013

Pryor on Fire posted:

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

Dog Case posted:

You cannot kill us in a way that matters

should be the King County motto

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

Dog Case posted:

gently caress that, i moved here on purpose. Knowing that the earth could explode and melt our bodies from the lungs out or collapse and crush and grind us under an unimaginable weight of water and debris makes us powerful. It's like figuring out that what other people think of you doesn't affect you. You cannot kill us in a way that matters

I don't think sitting in your SUV and getting food and sugary drinks exclusively at drive thrus makes you stronger. Visited for the first time last month and I thought there would be some hippies or outdoorsy types from TV stereotypes, but nope just it's just massive SUVs and lifted trucks forming queues everywhere. Nobody even goes to cool places like Mt Rainier, trails are mostly empty with ample parking, they would all rather be at the drive thru I guess.

They also get really mad sometimes if you walk up to the drive thru huts, I guess they assume you are homeless if you're not in a lifted truck? Truly a sicko city.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Pryor on Fire posted:

Nobody even goes to cool places like Mt Rainier, trails are mostly empty with ample parking, they would all rather be at the drive thru I guess.

I heard the trails are overcrowded and I’ve seen photos that seem pretty crowded.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

Pryor on Fire posted:

I don't think sitting in your SUV and getting food and sugary drinks exclusively at drive thrus makes you stronger. Visited for the first time last month and I thought there would be some hippies or outdoorsy types from TV stereotypes, but nope just it's just massive SUVs and lifted trucks forming queues everywhere. Nobody even goes to cool places like Mt Rainier, trails are mostly empty with ample parking, they would all rather be at the drive thru I guess.

They also get really mad sometimes if you walk up to the drive thru huts, I guess they assume you are homeless if you're not in a lifted truck? Truly a sicko city.

lol im not gonna disagree with a bunch of general points here but holy loving poo poo the trail heads at every single trail are packed almost every day. I try to hike on thursdays just so i'm not shoulder to shoulder on any trail that has a lake or a waterfall at the end. On the weekends it feels like being in a mall during the holidays.

Honky Mao
Dec 26, 2012

Why not just put big domes over our cities then the climate literally doesn't matter anymore

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Pryor on Fire posted:

thats everywhere in the us now. You literally cant eat after about 9 pm in a lot of places without a car

Bohemian Grover
Aug 6, 2022

by Azathoth

SorePotato posted:

Why not just put big domes over our cities then the climate literally doesn't matter anymore

food doesnt grow in cities

hekaton
Jan 5, 2022

sure wish i could understand what the hell was going on with my life
so i could be properly upset when things happen

Bohemian Grover posted:

food doesnt grow in cities

put domes over the farms geez

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!
Did I see Kelvin-Heimholz clouds yesterday?

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

Stereotype posted:

instead of flying in a space ship to mars let’s just turn the earth into mars. much easier and more profitable.

sorry, can't do mars, how about venus instead?

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

I adore the cope replies arguing that actually it's supposed to look that barren and scorched and demanding comparison images from previous years like you can't just pull up Google Maps and look at the satellite data

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Huh, guess they were right about Eurabia after all

Luneshot
Mar 10, 2014

Cup Runneth Over posted:

I adore the cope replies arguing that actually it's supposed to look that barren and scorched

London, Paris, and their surrounding environs are famous for dry and arid weather and being approximately the same color as Arizona

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~

Pale Brown Dot

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

Florida is way ahead of everyone on the insurance situation
https://twitter.com/MaryEllenKlas/status/1558174486859550720

quote:

In the last two years, insurance policies for more than 400,000 Floridians have been dropped or not renewed. Fourteen companies have stopped writing new policies in Florida. Five have gone belly-up in 2022 alone. The record, set after Hurricane Andrew’s devastation, is eight in one year. The latest was Coral Gables-based Weston Property & Casualty, which leaves 22,000 policyholders — about 9,400 in South Florida — scrambling to find new insurance companies.

Costs have also skyrocketed. In 2019, when DeSantis was sworn in, Floridians paid an average premium of $1,988. This year, it’s $4,231, triple the national average, according to an Insurance Information Institute analysis.