Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Why do you read this thread anyway?
This poll is closed.
I enjoy reading contemporary newspaper comics. 64 26.02%
I hate reading contemporary newspaper comics. 42 17.07%
I enjoy reading historical newspaper comics. 88 35.77%
I enjoy reading newspaper comics from foreign countries. 52 21.14%
Total: 246 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
Daddy Daze

Take It From the Tinkersons

Macanudo

Dark Side of the Horse

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Oh, I missed the wax step, thought they were going direct into the clay.

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Mutts

Sally Forth

Peanuts (August 16, 1975)

Funky Winkerbean continues its meditation on broken-down things that used to be someone's source of joy. And they're standing next to a swimming pool.

Crankshaft

Mutt and Jeff

Rip Haywire

Thimble Theater (March 15, 1939)

Out Our Way (July 31-August 2, 1939)

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
Pickles

Hagar the Horrible

Zits

Mister Beeg
Sep 7, 2012

A Certified Jerk
Arnold (May 9-15, 1983)

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

How does he know what she looks like if he hasn't seen her in 25 years? This is completely ruining my immersion into this silly bumbling detective comic strip!
Doesn't seem like that was used for text onto parchment though. I don't think the printing method described is very feasible for the purpose of producing pages of text for a book.

Woodblock printing is a more realistic choice for the time probably. But most likely at this time it would just be tediously copied page by page by hand.

F Minus

Mark Trail

Mary Worth

The Phantom

"Umm...no?"

Pooch Cafe

Rex Morgan MD

Andertoons

Apartment 3-G

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Hey lovely Mark Trail narration box. Been awhile!

Jucika "396 - Jucika, As A Guide"

"Lukács Uszoda = Lukács Baths, Kalauz Nélkuli Kogs = (roughly)Wagon Without Guide"

"397 - Jucika Drives A Car"

"T = Tanulóvezető = Student Driver"

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Docks

Retail

Popcom

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

Murdstone posted:

Rex Morgan MD

Jesus Christ, GET ON WITH IT!

thisusedyet
Feb 14, 2012

My post... it sucks!!!

First appearance of Pee Wee Herman?

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Crabgrass

Old School Peanuts (Sep 20, 1953)

Calvin and Hobbes (Feb 28-29, 1992)

Big Nate

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Bizarro

The Family Circus

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Well, now I feel sad. Thanks, Wayno and/or Piraro!

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Into Ilves

Once again Into manages to persuade his adversaries to do whatever random nonsense he suggests.

Nancy

Dustin

Mandrake

Bibliotechno Music
Dec 30, 2008

A+ stench monsters

ˇAragones!

Life in Hell

Sylvia

Marlys!

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Well I came across tomorrow's Mary Worth, and as usual when that happens I'm not going to make you all wait for the glory.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
lmao

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

It's incredible how Mary Worth can manage to be the worst strip and the best strip at the same time.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Julet Esqu posted:

It's incredible how Mary Worth can manage to be the worst strip and the best strip at the same time.

Karen Moy is one of the best writers on the comics page.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

The Bloop posted:

I don't think it's implied that Arf invented it, is it?

i didnt invent poo poo gently caress you

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Stultus Maximus posted:

Karen Moy is one of the best writers on the comics page.
I think Brigman is also essential. I don’t think it would be as good if Giella was still doing it, although his art was funny on its own.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

The Least Interesting Catgirl Christmas Ever

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Murdstone posted:

Well I came across tomorrow's Mary Worth, and as usual when that happens I'm not going to make you all wait for the glory.

My dreams have come true!

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Medenmath posted:

Vintage Valiant (Sep. 28, 1952)

Gonna nit pick this strip in a way opposite what everyone else has - they did indeed use wax tablets for writing in the middle ages all the way back to the classical era, but the process was reverse of what we see here: wax tablets (reusable, erasable) were for rough work, and that would get transcribed to the more permanent sheet media. Paper wasn't yet invented by Val's setting, or at least not yet imported to Europe. Val is too far north for papyrus, so that's parchment or vellum in Arf's hands there, which is prohibitively expensive, to the point that even a prince would be more inclined to save, scrimp, or scrape to reuse it.

Alhazred posted:

Printing blocks are pretty old (I don't think it's as old as this strip implies though). What Gutenberg invented that was so revolutionary was movable types and even that was created in Asia over four hundred years before him.

Even more specifically, Gutenberg invented a process for rapidly producing consistently sized moveable type on the scale necessary for machine production of printed material. The various moveable types produced in Asia before that were all sand cast, mostly bronze, and required a lot of finishing work to be usable, and thus weren't suitable for making in the volume necessary to produce books (tens to hundreds of thousands of characters). It was more useful for making broadsheets and things of that sort (dozens to hundreds of characters).

Wood cut printing/stamps etc are certainly as old as this strip's setting (signet rings are basically the same technology), though I don't know of any evidence that they were bothering to use screw presses for it. If you're only getting a run of 5-6 impressions, there's not really any advantage to doing it on a screw press anyway.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!

Murdstone posted:

I don’t follow this comic at all but lmao that’s golden.

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Our Boarding House (August 10-12, 1922)

Toonerville Folks (Octoer 27-29, 1919)

Dok's Dippy Emergency Nuptuals (April 20, 1914)

And yes, war is still on the way any minute now. Wilson promised and everything.

Little Lefty (March 11, 15-17, 1937)

Something must've really broken down in the pipeline, because when the Friday and Saturday Leftys didn't turn up, they published an apology and everything.

So as tempting as it is to use this as an excuse to half-rear end another Saturday night, let's jump ahead to Monday.

Blondie From Zero, in which all of the relevant pieces are suddenly back on the board. (August 29-31, 1932)

EasyEW fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Aug 14, 2022

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
Easily arranged.

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

av by @daikonquest!
im pretty sure i caught the 2019 novel coronavirus so i won't be posting comics for a few days, anyone can take em up during it or enjoy the break from foob et al

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Looks like she got on a loaf of bread instead of a bus again...
Uramachi Sakaba

Cthulhu and Girl

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

riderchop posted:

im pretty sure i caught the 2019 novel coronavirus so i won't be posting comics for a few days, anyone can take em up during it or enjoy the break from foob et al
Once per day I will post a string of Foob-style onomatopoeia for eating noises in order to keep this thread inoculated for your inevitable return.

Today's words: CHORMP SMACK CHEW GLEG HGLOGK

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Also, modern A+J will catch up/resume Wednesday when I'm back from vacation.

Hippocrass
Aug 18, 2015

That third panel of the first comic just makes it. It's still funny if you remove it, but that panel included just makes it top tier.

Hostile V posted:

The Least Interesting Catgirl Christmas Ever

So, there was an animal Jesus?

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Hippocrass posted:

So, there was an animal Jesus?
[sighs] Hold on.

From 2000:

I hope you're happy.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Julet Esqu posted:

Snooze through the week and they hit you with Kafka on Sunday

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Murdstone posted:

gently caress YES

I feel like Brigman really enjoyed doing the last dream sequence, so Moy wrote in another one.

Giant Ethicist posted:

Uramachi Sakaba

:stonklol:

Hippocrass
Aug 18, 2015

That third panel of the first comic just makes it. It's still funny if you remove it, but that panel included just makes it top tier.

Hostile V posted:

[sighs] Hold on.

From 2000:

I hope you're happy.

Why even bother with a whole 'bird conspiracy' mythos if animal world is literally human world. Think of all the interesting ideas you use in this setting that isn't just "What if humans, but animals?"

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Hippocrass posted:

Why even bother with a whole 'bird conspiracy' mythos if animal world is literally human world. Think of all the interesting ideas you use in this setting that isn't just "What if humans, but animals?"

So, Beastars?

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

riderchop posted:

Having recovered from a session of this recently, you have my sympathies.

Onto today's Blueberry: Cochise is in a dark place, or It's no Bat-signal, but it'll do for O'Bannion, or More bad news for the Navajo...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003

riderchop posted:

That sucks, I hope you feel better soon.

Prince Valiant