Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

I died laughing when Nathan threw the Christmas tree into the woods

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.
The fake mailman

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

After he built the bar in the first episode my thought was that the season would end with him living alone in a fake city he built in a warehouse and I'm currently thinking I might not have been that far off.

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

As a jew I very much related to the experience of talking to an elderly Jew that suddenly goes off the rails and you're just nodding politely trying to say nothing or change the subject or leave.

BWV fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Aug 13, 2022

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

veni veni veni posted:

After he built the bar in the first episode my thought was that the season would end with him living alone in a fake city he built in a warehouse and I'm currently thinking I might not have been that far off.

So Truman Show but everyone is in on it... I am sorry but if that is the finale and not just an entire season I am going to cry

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

LesterGroans posted:

The fake mailman

That one took me out. that her job she's been doing for 4 episodes and saying, hey take care of Adam I need to do my work, was ALL pretend? lmao

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

BWV posted:

As a jew I very much related to the experience of talking to an elderly Jew that suddenly goes off the rails and you're just nodding politely trying to say nothing or change the subject or leave.

yeah, also laughed big on the "i hadn't gone to synagogue in many years, because it was so boring" narration

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

Were those actually his parents

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.

WampaLord posted:

yeah, also laughed big on the "i hadn't gone to synagogue in many years, because it was so boring" narration

That was extremely funny

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

drunken officeparty posted:

Pretty confident they were, I think they appeared in an NFY skit or bit at some point too

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.
They show up in the robot pantsing episode. He says he may be in jail the next time they talk and then the connection dies lmao

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
You also see them in the summit ice episode, I think there was a bit where you see the dad get his jacket.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

drunken officeparty posted:

Yes

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
i might be a simpleton but i think i would've enjoyed the show that was the first episode more than this is turning out. the concept has trailed off into boring. i didn't mind in previous episodes because he was doing something else too but i'm as checked out as angela is at this point. hopefully episode 6 is a surprise. angela's gone so at least it won't be more of her.

it isn't that there were no good bits in this episode, i was just thinking man, this is sort of a waste of the concept too much to enjoy them. it hasn't really escalated at all since the second ep, feels like there was a great 45 minute episode here rather than a full season.

roomtone fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Aug 13, 2022

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Khanstant posted:

Anyway, was still like gross hearing Angela say she was against Judaism even if I'd heard as much before from church and christians.

Really? That was part of what I was getting at as far as wondering how much of the "real" Angela she's showing for the camera -- I'm Jewish myself, but I think that was the most reasonable argument I've ever heard as far as not wanting to have your kid learn Jewish traditions, and I thought it made the teacher seem like she was flying off the handle a bit by calling her an anti-semite. I can't get too mad at a devoted Christian refusing to involve herself with anything that doesn't respect Jesus as the true Lord. (I still think there's a lot of weird bigotry there under the surface, of course)

WampaLord posted:

This cracked me up too because it is so true

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

roomtone posted:

i might be a simpleton but i think i would've enjoyed the show that was the first episode more than this is turning out. the concept has trailed off into boring. i didn't mind in previous episodes because he was doing something else too but i'm as checked out as angela is at this point. hopefully episode 6 is a surprise. angela's gone so at least it won't be more of her.

it isn't that there were no good bits in this episode, i was just thinking man, this is sort of a waste of the concept too much to enjoy them. it hasn't really escalated at all since the second ep, feels like there was a great 45 minute episode here rather than a full season.

Ep 4 was actually a crazy escalation: the school, the primaries, his primary being a student who has their own primary, having actors playing his students after studying them, having an actor playing him, having his primary live in a fake apartment with fake roommates playing his primary's roommates, living in his primary's apartment under false pretenses, then moving into a fake version of the fake apartment with fake versions of the fake roommates...

And that's just the first half.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

lol at them hiding in the underground basement to study the Torah.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Phenotype posted:

Really? That was part of what I was getting at as far as wondering how much of the "real" Angela she's showing for the camera -- I'm Jewish myself, but I think that was the most reasonable argument I've ever heard as far as not wanting to have your kid learn Jewish traditions, and I thought it made the teacher seem like she was flying off the handle a bit by calling her an anti-semite. I can't get too mad at a devoted Christian refusing to involve herself with anything that doesn't respect Jesus as the true Lord. (I still think there's a lot of weird bigotry there under the surface, of course)

I'm not Jewish, but I grew up in an extremely Jewish environment, and yeah in my experience it's normal for religious parents to be uncomfortable with their kids being exposed to another religion. With all her other beliefs about things being Satanic I think there's a better than even chance she does have anti-Semitic beliefs, but the stuff about the kid seemed relatively normal compared to a lot of other poo poo she said, though obviously if she were a more educated or worldly person I think she could have phrased some things better.

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

Khanstant posted:

even in Christianity, Jews are notably god's chosen people. Half the stories are about jewish people and customs. Jesus was pretty famously a jewish teacher and the "messiah" he claimed to be was the jewish one (like if he were the jewish messiah his followers would still be jewish). When I was a little kid and christian it really bothered me all the other people who believed in the same god didn't go to the same church. Meanwhile I remember my dad and step-mom having this big fight once essentially because he was telling her that her grandfather, as a catholic / idol-worshipper he didn't get into heaven or some poo poo, like, under the guise she needed to stop trying to be all catholic and fully commit to the "non-denominational" evangelical church he took us to.

So much of it is just made up too, not in the "religion is myth" way but like, stuff that isn't supported by the texts, history, traditions, or values of the religion. I reckon "focus on the family" cabal were held more as the voice of god than the bible or even calvary church itself. These days I guess it's whatever crazy poo poo they read online. Frustrating thing is that christianity and the bible have interesting histories and there's a lot to learn there about how the bible versions shook out, the authors, the history and politics behind the translations and interpretations of things, but there's no drive to ever look at that, and instead it's weird conservative psyops poo poo they absorb.

Anyway, was still like gross hearing Angela say she was against Judaism even if I'd heard as much before from church and christians.

Great episode that showed quite a few flavours of human shittiness. I love this show for not being what I think it's gonna be even while readjusting my expectation of what it'll be.
Jews don’t believe Jesus returned which is bullshit so I didn’t read past your first word. Sorry.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

"Do you think you need to rehearse?"

"No, I just shoot from the hip"

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Snooze Cruise posted:

So Truman Show but everyone is in on it... I am sorry but if that is the finale and not just an entire season I am going to cry

The idea of "The Truman Show but everyone is on it" is... just kinda life though, right? And I think kinda brilliant in a way because if you had a whole community "pretending" to be a community, it's just lampshading that everyone is already pretending their way through life and we don't acknowledge it.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

wa27 posted:

he neaaaaarly managed to get her

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

wa27 posted:

I loved how visibly uncomfortable Nathan was during that.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Phenotype posted:

Yeah the woman calling her an anti-semite for not wanting to raise "her kid" Jewish was really silly. You could tell Angela was trying to explain further that she wasn't "against Judaism" in the way that the woman implied but she had already flown off the handle. Not that there aren't probably some more problematic things buried in there, but it Angela clearly wasn't trying to express that she is anti-Jew.

Mae
Aug 1, 2010

Supesudandi wa, kukan-nai no dandidesu

I liked when the child revealed that "mom" said that the jews killed jesus

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Baby's First Post-Apocalyptic Fiction
Great show, great episode. The pull-back shot to reveal that he's in a set rehearsing with a fake Angela was perfect.

I'm also joining the pro-Real Angela gang (assuming she's actually a person). She did it, she escaped the mad house, good for her!

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Honest to God when the fake Angela was yelling "When was the last time you felt something real!!! Like really real!" I thought they were going to kiss

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

I died when Nathan derailed Miriam's Israel rant by complimenting the doughnuts. Almost as if he'd prepared for such a situation somehow.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

John Wick of Dogs posted:

Honest to God when the fake Angela was yelling "When was the last time you felt something real!!! Like really real!" I thought they were going to kiss

Yeah I was waiting for that too.

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

Last scene got me real good, both in the way it was set up and just how Nathan played it. I wonder if they screened for a pro-isreal person or just rolled the dice

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

John Wick of Dogs posted:

I felt that energy too. Everything with the fake Angela argument was amazing stuff.

Phenotype posted:

This cracked me up too because it is so true

:haibrow:

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

veni veni veni posted:

Yeah the woman calling her an anti-semite for not wanting to raise "her kid" Jewish was really silly. You could tell Angela was trying to explain further that she wasn't "against Judaism" in the way that the woman implied but she had already flown off the handle. Not that there aren't probably some more problematic things buried in there, but it Angela clearly wasn't trying to express that she is anti-Jew.

I get the impression she just saw through Angela's bullshit and rightly declared her an anti-semite, but it is possible she was inky accidentally right.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
Man. That episode was great. So many great one liners.
"Winter is expensive"
"I don't go to Synagogue cause it's really boring"
"I was raised doing all the Jewish stuff"
"Are these Oranges satanic?"
"You ate a child's feces"
"It's a tricky situation.... How about these doughnuts!?"

Then there is the site gags
The fake mailman
The snow on the house
The pan to fake Angela
The 384 foot tunnel
The employees from the acting class

Seriously though, you've got to be loving making GBS threads me with that Mel Gibson line right? Surely she was fed that line? There isn't a name that could have been scripted that is better than that answer. Either she is the funniest person on the planet or the cruellest and most acidic person on the planet or she was just fed the line. Holy poo poo.

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

At least she’s consistent, she wouldn’t do halloween either.

atrus50
Dec 24, 2008

Puppy Galaxy posted:

Last scene got me real good, both in the way it was set up and just how Nathan played it. I wonder if they screened for a pro-isreal person or just rolled the dice

i have a sneaking suspicion from this one daily beast interview i read that his casting team might target weirdos on purpose. they certainly do not use regular casting agencies for their "marks," instead putting feelers out in certain communities

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
side note: I'd love someone to write a book on religion for dummies that spells out the differences in beliefs between all the different religions and denominations and how they all evolved/branched out from each other.

It's so weird to me that Jesus was a Jew but like, Christians think Jews are all going to hell. And then there is Nathan style Jews versus the sidelock wearing Orthodox/Hasidic Jews that clearly have different beliefs.

Old Doggy Bastard
Dec 18, 2008

wa27 posted:

I'm halfway through this episode after starting it today and marathoning the show, and man did he see the opportunity for a poo poo show.

He's brilliant. It's also cool to see little bits of him slipping now and then, like the "I'm going to bring home oranges and you'll tell me that's Satanic" which felt like the kind of funny, quick retort to a woman who has really established herself as sucky on most levels and kind of operating like a crazy person.

Looten Plunder posted:

Seriously though, you've got to be loving making GBS threads me with that Mel Gibson line right? Surely she was fed that line? There isn't a name that could have been scripted that is better than that answer. Either she is the funniest person on the planet or the cruellest and most acidic person on the planet or she was just fed the line. Holy poo poo.

It's like someone decided to become a weird parody of a Christian, or is playing it impressively straight. The fact she also couldn't comprehend the values of Judaism or it existing outside of Jesus not being the messiah is so trippy, even if the real thought for a bunch of people out in the world. Poor dude in the first episode, everything went better than expected until the last minute.

"What's your opinion of Israel?"
"Sort of a hot button issue."

Old Doggy Bastard fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Aug 14, 2022

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

atrus50 posted:

i have a sneaking suspicion from this one daily beast interview i read that his casting team might target weirdos on purpose. they certainly do not use regular casting agencies for their "marks," instead putting feelers out in certain communities

Yeah, they definitely do, although it’s probably self-selecting to some degree. A lot of people want to be on tv, but the people who are willing to put up with this stuff are probably a little strange to begin with.

And sometimes the weirdness comes from unsuspecting places. I remember Nathan talking about the casting for NFY, for the gas station episode specifically. They knew ahead of time that the dude who went on the hike drinks piss (he must talk about it a lot I guess), but the gas station owner also drinking piss was completely out of nowhere. A very fortuitous coincidence.

Tea Bone
Feb 18, 2011

I'm going for gasps.

Looten Plunder posted:

This part got me thinking too, it following on from them taking about raising the child with both faiths was too smooth to be coincidence. Initially I was thinking Nathan could be getting her to wear the same clothes and eat the same meal every night under the guise of rehearsing or whatever then it would be pretty easy to edit two different conversations together...

Then it occurred to me the far more boring obvious answer; there's probably a bunch of questions like "what is your favourite movie?" brought up during casting. Nathan already knew she was going to say Apocalypto and planned to ask Angela her favourite movie to "break the tension" before even starting the conversation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.

Looten Plunder posted:

side note: I'd love someone to write a book on religion for dummies that spells out the differences in beliefs between all the different religions and denominations and how they all evolved/branched out from each other.

Try the entire religion section of your local library? There’s gotta be dozens of such overview books