Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer

gradenko_2000 posted:

There was an old Gene Hackman movie that's supposed to be a good fit for this thread but i can't remember the name

Not enemy of the state

Laterite posted:

The Conversation

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp

gradenko_2000 posted:

There was an old Gene Hackman movie that's supposed to be a good fit for this thread but i can't remember the name

Not enemy of the state

Reds? Under Fire? Superman? Antz? Under Suspicion?

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

the French connection ?

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

lmao

jolly west was like the psychology version of the timecube guy, except with infinite funding and discretion to pursue his ideas.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

I want that trophy

Gravid Topiary
Feb 16, 2012

this raccoon recreates the experience of reading either CHAOS or Aberration in the heartland

nut
Jul 30, 2019

a few DRUNK BONERS posted:

can someone dig up his robot psychotherapist paper?

I tried following the citation (something like the influence of information theory on psychiatry) and just like absolutely nothing came up

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

was just reminded that wanda sykes was an nsa agent until age 28 when she took her stand up hobby more seriously and now shes gonna star in a show designed to sell ring doorbells

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin

Cuttlefush posted:

Reds? Under Fire? Superman? Antz? Under Suspicion?

WHAT DOES GENE KNOW?

Phlogiston 4 Lyfe
May 13, 2009

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

re: Jolly's robopsych, I'm trying to dig up something I read a while back that talked about it. I remember it being described as basically a punchcard-based version of the webMD sympton checker. There's a PDF available of a copy of American Psychologist, which is said to have the proceedings from an APA meeting where the paper was discussed, but I don't have fifteen dollars to throw at a twenty page pdf at the moment. If anyone knows someone who'd have free access to APA stuff, looks like it'd be easy to get ahold of, at least.

https://psycnet.apa.org/doiLanding?doi=10.1037%2Fh0043024

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

edit: fb

Antonymous has issued a correction as of 21:47 on Aug 13, 2022

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Phlogiston 4 Lyfe posted:

re: Jolly's robopsych, I'm trying to dig up something I read a while back that talked about it. I remember it being described as basically a punchcard-based version of the webMD sympton checker. There's a PDF available of a copy of American Psychologist, which is said to have the proceedings from an APA meeting where the paper was discussed, but I don't have fifteen dollars to throw at a twenty page pdf at the moment. If anyone knows someone who'd have free access to APA stuff, looks like it'd be easy to get ahold of, at least.

https://psycnet.apa.org/doiLanding?doi=10.1037%2Fh0043024

it's on sci-hub

https://twin.sci-hub.st/5939/7e0ac1bddc1bba4f31424c33bb8f0c55/newman1962.pdf

e: it looks like meeting minutes, not papers.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!
I just rewatched a scanner darkly and that one’s great for some good paranoid vibes.

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

Man going to therapy is so much more boring these days than it was in the Jolly West era

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

DID NOT VOTE FOR FETTERMAN

Endman posted:

Man going to therapy is so much more boring these days than it was in the Jolly West era

For good or I'll, mdern psychistry is what happens when they stopped trying to cure people

Victor Vermis
Dec 21, 2004

WOKE UP IN THE DESERT AGAIN
Web of Make Believe on Netflix seemed tailored to normies, but I wound up watching episode 2 while nursing a hangover figuring I'd nap through most of it. The episode is about the murder of Seth Rich in 2016 and the DNC WikiLeaks. I catch up on this thread occasionally (thank you all for the transmissions from Jonestown recommendation!) and I don't recall the Rich-DNC-WikiLeaks connection being discussed here outside of variations on the "leading to the arrest of HRC" memes, so I assumed this was going to be a deep dive into Qanon gramma memes and Facebook groups. It was not. .. Or it was, and I actually have fully devolved into a facebook qanon gramma.

10 minutes in: Julian Assange's TV interview wherein he suggests Rich was a source. Whatever, I think I saw this before, Assange has been presented like the type to troll a grieving family if it keeps him relevant.

20 minutes in, sleezy attorney Berkman, who latched onto the Rich family for publicity, describes getting ambushed during a dead drop in a parking garage by his own private investigator (who was supposed to be feeding him FBI docs??). Berkman describes getting shot a bunch in the butt with an assault rifle and the Marine-turned-profiler(???) goes to prison. Huh. Never heard of that before. I'm paying attention.

30 minutes in, journalist Seymour Hersh, on a recorded call, says he has a guy at the FBI who has seen docs proving that Rich was a WikiLeaks source. Crack. Ping.

The guy who recorded the call, Butowski, is in with the Trump campaign/administration, and he uses a Fox News talking head and former detective, Rod Wheeler, to get in with the Rich family and run DNC-killed-Rich theories up the flagpole at Fox News. Wheeler gets covered in poo poo, Fox News issues a retraction. The full Herch recording, as well as some Wheeler ones, are now available (presumably thanks to Butowski) on this YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCBIpN1cdt9MDoBFyPlwBtdA

In the long call, Butowski says an associate of Assange told him that Assange confirmed Rich was the source.

Hersh has done interviews since then and says Butowski misunderstood, "took two and two and made 45 out of it". Hersh seemed wary of helping Trump win the election, so 45 isn't an arbitrary choice of number here. The Netflix doc heavily suggests Hersh lied in order to pump Butowski for info. Hersh didn't provide an interview.

Hersh has been critical of the press for eating up the Obama admin's assertion in 2016 that all signs pointed to state-sanctioned hacking by Russia as the source of the leaks.

VIPS, a collection of prior intel folks who first got a hair up their rear end after Colin Powell sold the '03 Iraq invasion on a bunch of bullshit, are confident that the DNC leak could not have been a remote hack. Long write up but very much worthwhile as there is some back-and-forth with dissenting members of that same group: https://www.thenation.com/article/archive/a-leak-or-a-hack-a-forum-on-the-vips-memo/

The Rich family has refused access to any of Rich's devices, refuses to cooperate with anyone who is not explicitly looking for two black male robbers in a DC neighborhood. Their DNC-connected "crisis manager" minder gets a lot of time in the episode.

So.. Rich is definitely the leaker right? And either Trump's gang of freaks or the DNC had him murdered, right? If that's the case, only 1 person for sure would be able to explain: Julian Assange. His extradition to the US is currently pending an appeal. He's in a cell somewhere in London, and bad news for him seems to coincide with bad news for Boris Johnson. I wonder if there are any parallel red yarn lines concerning extradition progress/stalls and changes in US/UK administrations..

I dunno.

Of course, there's plenty of supplemental and extremely questionable and ghoulish additional content to be found over the previous 6 years:

- A 4chan anon who claimed to be working in the ER the night Rich was brought in still-alive and later stabilized before shady agents denied staff any further access.
- Rich's still unidentified girlfriend who spoke with him by phone throughout the night, right up until his death. She was out of town on a business trip.
- Social media (since removed?) indicating Rich was disgruntled with DNC
- Rich's brother seemingly issuing gag orders to anyone who might know anything about that night, guards the laptop (if the FBI doesn't have it), and laughs inappropriately in a family interview.
- Another 4chan effort to cast an open-source-intelligence net over every relevant person and location. This is tangled up with their Comet Ping Pong stuff so I'm not loving deep diving that.

Anyways. Thanks for the insomnia, Epstein thread.

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"

War and Pieces posted:

For good or I'll, mdern psychistry is what happens when they stopped trying to cure people

Well, curing people requires eliminating class society, so.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Perry Mason Jar posted:

Well, curing people requires eliminating class society, so.

Alonzo.gif

Uglycat
Dec 4, 2000
MORE INDISPUTABLE PROOF I AM BAD AT POSTING
---------------->

Victor Vermis posted:

Web of Make Believe on Netflix seemed tailored to normies, but I wound up watching episode 2 while nursing a hangover figuring I'd nap through most of it. The episode is about the murder of Seth Rich in 2016 and the DNC WikiLeaks. I catch up on this thread occasionally (thank you all for the transmissions from Jonestown recommendation!) and I don't recall the Rich-DNC-WikiLeaks connection being discussed here outside of variations on the "leading to the arrest of HRC" memes, so I assumed this was going to be a deep dive into Qanon gramma memes and Facebook groups. It was not. .. Or it was, and I actually have fully devolved into a facebook qanon gramma.

10 minutes in: Julian Assange's TV interview wherein he suggests Rich was a source. Whatever, I think I saw this before, Assange has been presented like the type to troll a grieving family if it keeps him relevant.

20 minutes in, sleezy attorney Berkman, who latched onto the Rich family for publicity, describes getting ambushed during a dead drop in a parking garage by his own private investigator (who was supposed to be feeding him FBI docs??). Berkman describes getting shot a bunch in the butt with an assault rifle and the Marine-turned-profiler(???) goes to prison. Huh. Never heard of that before. I'm paying attention.

30 minutes in, journalist Seymour Hersh, on a recorded call, says he has a guy at the FBI who has seen docs proving that Rich was a WikiLeaks source. Crack. Ping.

The guy who recorded the call, Butowski, is in with the Trump campaign/administration, and he uses a Fox News talking head and former detective, Rod Wheeler, to get in with the Rich family and run DNC-killed-Rich theories up the flagpole at Fox News. Wheeler gets covered in poo poo, Fox News issues a retraction. The full Herch recording, as well as some Wheeler ones, are now available (presumably thanks to Butowski) on this YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCBIpN1cdt9MDoBFyPlwBtdA

In the long call, Butowski says an associate of Assange told him that Assange confirmed Rich was the source.

Hersh has done interviews since then and says Butowski misunderstood, "took two and two and made 45 out of it". Hersh seemed wary of helping Trump win the election, so 45 isn't an arbitrary choice of number here. The Netflix doc heavily suggests Hersh lied in order to pump Butowski for info. Hersh didn't provide an interview.

Hersh has been critical of the press for eating up the Obama admin's assertion in 2016 that all signs pointed to state-sanctioned hacking by Russia as the source of the leaks.

VIPS, a collection of prior intel folks who first got a hair up their rear end after Colin Powell sold the '03 Iraq invasion on a bunch of bullshit, are confident that the DNC leak could not have been a remote hack. Long write up but very much worthwhile as there is some back-and-forth with dissenting members of that same group: https://www.thenation.com/article/archive/a-leak-or-a-hack-a-forum-on-the-vips-memo/

The Rich family has refused access to any of Rich's devices, refuses to cooperate with anyone who is not explicitly looking for two black male robbers in a DC neighborhood. Their DNC-connected "crisis manager" minder gets a lot of time in the episode.

So.. Rich is definitely the leaker right? And either Trump's gang of freaks or the DNC had him murdered, right? If that's the case, only 1 person for sure would be able to explain: Julian Assange. His extradition to the US is currently pending an appeal. He's in a cell somewhere in London, and bad news for him seems to coincide with bad news for Boris Johnson. I wonder if there are any parallel red yarn lines concerning extradition progress/stalls and changes in US/UK administrations..

I dunno.

Of course, there's plenty of supplemental and extremely questionable and ghoulish additional content to be found over the previous 6 years:

- A 4chan anon who claimed to be working in the ER the night Rich was brought in still-alive and later stabilized before shady agents denied staff any further access.
- Rich's still unidentified girlfriend who spoke with him by phone throughout the night, right up until his death. She was out of town on a business trip.
- Rich's brother seemingly issuing gag orders to anyone who might know anything about that night, guards the laptop (if the FBI doesn't have it), and laughs inappropriately in a family interview.
- Another 4chan effort to cast an open-source-intelligence net over every relevant person and location. This is tangled up with their Comet Ping Pong stuff so I'm not loving deep diving that.

Victor Vermis posted:

I dunno.

http://g-2.space/sr/dms.html

Guccifer 2.0 catfished a bond girl and convinced her that Seth was the source

https://www.thedailybeast.com/exclusive-lone-dnc-hacker-guccifer-20-slipped-up-and-revealed-he-was-a-russian-intelligence-officer

I've long entertained the idea that guccifer hacked the dox, pretended to be rich, passed em to Julian, and then putin murdered seth to put a body on Hillary right before the elections

It's nutty, but the Russian disinfo machine sure got early marching orders

Victor Vermis
Dec 21, 2004

Uglycat posted:

http://g-2.space/sr/dms.html

Guccifer 2.0 catfished a bond girl and convinced her that Seth was the source

https://www.thedailybeast.com/exclusive-lone-dnc-hacker-guccifer-20-slipped-up-and-revealed-he-was-a-russian-intelligence-officer

I've long entertained the idea that guccifer hacked the dox, pretended to be rich, passed em to Julian, and then putin murdered seth to put a body on Hillary right before the elections

It's nutty, but the Russian disinfo machine sure got early marching orders

VIPS asserts it wasn't a remote hack (Skip to "Why this is important" for rebuttal to VIPS dissenting members): https://www.thenation.com/article/archive/a-leak-or-a-hack-a-forum-on-the-vips-memo/

Adam Carter asserts the Russian "bread crumbs" were likely intentional misdirection: http://g-2.space/guccifer2-evidence-versus-gru-attribution/

Unfortunately, the forensic analysis doesn't provide any definitive answers as to who is responsible for the leak and only eliminates the possibility of an initial remote hack. I had never heard of the Robbin Young DMs and I don't find them compelling either way. Since it looks like Guccifer misrepresented their role in the leak, the catfishing thing is a sideshow until someone finds a dog-eared copy of a 1981 playboy in some boomer manager's office at GRU, Crowdstrike, or the FBI.

Seymore Hersh is the most interesting piece of the human side of the puzzle. Does he actually know someone at the FBI who gleaned something from Rich's laptop, or was it a bluff to pump info? As for his response in subsequent interviews, he would get the benefit of the doubt that Butowski misunderstood/misrepresented the exchange.. except the conversation was recorded and no loving way was he implying anything other than a source at the FBI.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_VaQcglmZvY

I would dismiss Butowski's anecdote about hearing 2nd-hand that Assange admitted Rich was a source if not for the way he said it. The flow of the conversation with Hersh, and the off the cuff remark about the mutual acquaintance's sexual orientation seems natural. Sure, maybe THAT acquaintance lied to Butowski, or Assange lied to that acquaintance, but I think Butowski is being sincere.

Futanari Damacy
Oct 30, 2021

by sebmojo
Nice, the first thing posted itt that I don’t know what anything is

Uglycat
Dec 4, 2000
MORE INDISPUTABLE PROOF I AM BAD AT POSTING
---------------->

Suppose guccifer talked seth into taking the files and handing them over, and pretended to be seth when passing them to Julian, then putins goons kill Seth and trumps goons push the Hillary death count narrative

Uglycat has issued a correction as of 10:10 on Aug 14, 2022

January 6 Survivor
Jan 6, 2022

The
Nelson Mandela
of clapping
dusty old cheeks

( o(

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

lmao

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

quote:

Seth Rich

Jimmy Dore was right

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
this is not really to the calibre of this thread but we don't have a media literacy thread and it does at least have soros and the NED

https://mronline.org/2022/08/08/manufacturing-consent-how-the-united-states-has-penetrated-south-african-media/

Futanari Damacy
Oct 30, 2021

by sebmojo
I'm sorry, but you mentioned the continued existence of George Soros? Antisemitic.

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

Google Butt posted:

I want that trophy

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Can someone explain the Soros Bank of England thing? He bet the currency would go down and then sold enough pounds to make that happen or something?

Victor Vermis
Dec 21, 2004

Uglycat posted:

Suppose guccifer talked seth into taking the files and handing them over, and pretended to be seth when passing them to Julian..

Yeah, sure.

Uglycat posted:

... then putins goons kill Seth and trumps goons push the Hillary death count narrative

lol

Killing a US citizen, on US soil, just to give Donald Trump of all people something mean he can say about the presumptive winner of the upcoming general election, seems like a dumb idea with no real payoff.

Victor Vermis
Dec 21, 2004

Another thing I wanted to post once I was caught up:

This is the best Stephen Paddock/1 October/Route 91 doc I've found. Tons of cell phone footage, flight tracker, bodycams (rare, since cops were directed to turn them off), 911 call logs.. Lots of stuff. It's real good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GidVHyh2-Ek

edit: My theory: 2015 Paris style attack, attackers are chased down all over the city, and the Las Vegas money machine ensures that the real story stays suppressed as it would be worse for business than one lone nut with now-outlawed rifle mods. Shut up and spend.

.. or sure, AMERICAN GLADIO.

... or false flag:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9WSIiMwB5g0

Victor Vermis has issued a correction as of 20:40 on Aug 14, 2022

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

i guessed it was a bad arms deal and the saudis that were buying killed him, shot at the crowd hifiving and doing coke, and then left when their cia handlers told them that disappeared security guard or whoever it was was coming and they hadda wrap it up and im sticking with that gut feeling

Futanari Damacy
Oct 30, 2021

by sebmojo

Real hurthling! posted:

i guessed it was a bad arms deal and the saudis that were buying killed him, shot at the crowd hifiving and doing coke, and then left when their cia handlers told them that disappeared security guard or whoever it was was coming and they hadda wrap it up and im sticking with that gut feeling

I'm partial to the "MBS hunting humans" hypothesis specifically

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

yeah ooo.

fr0id
Jul 27, 2016

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

War and Pieces posted:

modern psychiatry is about hooking people on pills that let them maintain in society and modern therapy is the vain attempt to cure people alongside that.

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin
Whoever said most therapists are there to cure themselves is probably the most accurate

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Therapy is good when its you working through the poo poo you have going on that's actively making you hate life that you have control over, and the therapist is there to offer behavioral and thinking approaches you can practice and employ to those ends

Like curing ptsd isn't on the table but learning how to manage symptoms is and that's real good

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

A Bakers Cousin posted:

Whoever said most therapists are there to cure themselves is probably the most accurate

enough that "mesearch" is a term in academic psychology in the same vein as impostor syndrome, at least.

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

Zodium posted:

enough that "mesearch" is a term in academic psychology in the same vein as impostor syndrome, at least.

meesa searching

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

Emeritus Professor Jar Jar Binks