Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Upgrade
Jun 19, 2021

Never put a TV over a fireplace

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

I specifically avoided houses where the only TV option was high up or above a fire place. That poo poo gives me a headache.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik

Upgrade posted:

Did that at the last house, never again. The heat never hurt the tv even with a nice raging fire going but yeah the height was stupid. It was the only option there for anything larger than a 40”.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Many years ago I recovered from a spinal injury on a couch staring up at a Fireplace TV and it didn't seem too bad. Felt like being at The Movies

Does it cause a neck pain or eyeball pain?

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
Just don’t have a fireplace they are just a terrible idea. If you need heat use a couple plasma TVs

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Fireplaces are indeed awful. Fire belongs Outside. We've got a wood burning fireplace in the formal, and one gas "ambiance-only" long and low one in the casual living, and only one gets used.

... Although only one of those ROOMS gets used, either

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

MantelMount Above Fireplace Pull Down TV Mount: https://a.co/d/a5t757j

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Upgrade posted:

Our house begs for the TV to be put over the fireplace and we haven’t done it because we’re not morons

Upgrade
Jun 19, 2021

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Many years ago I recovered from a spinal injury on a couch staring up at a Fireplace TV and it didn't seem too bad. Felt like being at The Movies

Does it cause a neck pain or eyeball pain?

its bad for two reasons: one, its an unnatural viewing angle which either causes neck pain OR forces you to tilt your TV down like an idiot, and two, it makes the TV the centerpiece of the room which is trashy

there is an EXCELLENT reddit devoted to this subject: https://www.reddit.com/r/TVTooHigh/

Upgrade fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Aug 13, 2022

Upgrade
Jun 19, 2021

The Dave posted:

MantelMount Above Fireplace Pull Down TV Mount: https://a.co/d/a5t757j

this might, somehow, be worse

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Ew yeah that it is awful and this reddit has the stuff of nightmares

(Shouldn't the TV be the centerpiece of the Room With The TV though? Since the goal is a natural viewing angle?)

Upgrade
Jun 19, 2021

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Ew yeah that it is awful and this reddit has the stuff of nightmares

(Shouldn't the TV be the centerpiece of the Room With The TV though? Since the goal is a natural viewing angle?)

no, because your TV should be low enough to be at your eyeline when you're sitting down, and when you enter a room you're drawn to things at your standing eyeline, i.e. a fireplace, or art, or a bookcase, etc.

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Upgrade posted:

its an unnatural viewing angle which either causes neck pain OR forces you to tilt your TV down like an idiot
Not in my experience.

Upgrade posted:

and two, it makes the TV the centerpiece of the room which is trashy
And this is dumb.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
- Thinks TV screens are trashy
- Fireplace is good
- Puts the art & books by the fire

I'm on to you, Ray Bradbury

Upgrade
Jun 19, 2021

tvs aren’t trashy but having an enormous tv that dominates the room kind of is

you don’t want your room to look like a shrine to the tv. The one exception would be a dedicated tv room I guess.

Upgrade fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Aug 13, 2022

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Scarodactyl posted:

Not in my experience.

And this is dumb.

Seriously. This comes up every once in a while and I've yet to figure out how goons like this manage to go through life with such a seemingly limited range of motion of their neck and eyes.

Many living rooms were designed around the center of the room being the fireplace. If you don't want to use it, fine, block it/put furniture not facing it and put your TV elsewhere. But if you want to use both a TV and the fireplace you may not have many good options other than a TV above the fireplace.

Upgrade posted:

tvs aren’t trashy but having an enormous tv that dominates the room kind of is

Putting your TV elsewhere and changing the entire focus of the room to that is somehow not this? Or is it only trash if it's both big enough AND above a fireplace. Or do you put the TV elsewhere and then not change the focus of the room to that because you can look side to side but not up and down?

Whatever it is you're trying to say it's really not clear and sounds more like something you're digging your heels in over because you've seen it done wrong once or twice and simply can't imagine a room in which this works.

Upgrade
Jun 19, 2021

Motronic posted:

Seriously. This comes up every once in a while and I've yet to figure out how goons like this manage to go through life with such a seemingly limited range of motion of their neck and eyes.

Many living rooms were designed around the center of the room being the fireplace. If you don't want to use it, fine, block it/put furniture not facing it and put your TV elsewhere. But if you want to use both a TV and the fireplace you may not have many good options other than a TV above the fireplace.

Putting your TV elsewhere and changing the entire focus of the room to that is somehow not this? Or is it only trash if it's both big enough AND above a fireplace. Or do you put the TV elsewhere and then not change the focus of the room to that because you can look side to side but not up and down?

Whatever it is you're trying to say it's really not clear and sounds more like something you're digging your heels in over because you've seen it done wrong once or twice and simply can't imagine a room in which this works.

well, what we're really talking about is how any living room before, what, 1970? was not designed with tv placement in mind (why modern construction still make fireplaces the focal of a room where most people will spend their time watching tv is another topic...) but even in your post you're admitting putting your tv over your fireplace isn't ideal, but you may be forced to do that. i'm talking about what is ideal: which would be a tv at eye level, which is why media stands and tv consoles aren't 6 feet tall, but rather are a height roughly equivalent to sitting height. this is also an entirely separate conversation from "is there a purpose for fireplaces in modern homes when we are no longer relying on burning wood as a heat source, and our living rooms aren't used solely for conversation?"

and not wanting to have to tilt your head up to watch tv doesn't mean you're incapable of upward head motion, it means you don't want to be forced to permanently stare up to watch a hit tv show like 'the rehearsal' on hbomax.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Upgrade posted:

this is also an entirely separate conversation from "is there a purpose for fireplaces in modern homes when we are no longer relying on burning wood as a heat source, and our living rooms aren't used solely for conversation?"

So you're not aware that people both use fireplaces for heat (there are in fact quite generous biomass tax credits and have been for several years) as well as ambiance?

Upgrade posted:

and not wanting to have to tilt your head up to watch tv doesn't mean you're incapable of upward head motion, it means you don't want to be forced to permanently stare up to watch a hit tv show like 'the rehearsal' on hbomax.

The point is that you're making this out to be some insurmountable hurdle. If you are a normal, healthy child or adult this is not any sort of problem.

Upgrade posted:

but even in your post you're admitting putting your tv over your fireplace isn't ideal, but you may be forced to do that. i'm talking about what is ideal: which would be a tv at eye level, which is why media stands and tv consoles aren't 6 feet tall, but rather are a height roughly equivalent to sitting height.

Beep-boop. Placement Not Ideal. Must build additional room for maximum idealness of alternate activity. One activity per room only to ensure maximum idealness. Boop.

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

I've been 100% in the home projector category for the past few years. They've gotten so good, even in light-filled areas and when i don't want a tv in my living room I can just put it away.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
A lot of the pain and lasting damage from using a Fireplace TV can be chalked up to user error, as well.

Many goons see the problem of an elevated image and, reviewing their toolkit, decide to use either the C3-C7 vertebrae or the extraocular muscles

Best practice is split the load equally between the two and come out relatively unscathed

Handy infographic:

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
I just lay flat on my back with the lazy glasses on.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DCTD_GiwYWA

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

Oh god what have I started

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Motronic posted:

The only thing trashier than putting a tv over a fireplace is this post

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

https://i.imgur.com/I0jPf9g.gifv

Upgrade
Jun 19, 2021

NyetscapeNavigator
Sep 22, 2003

they left the stand on after mounting it...

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

NyetscapeNavigator posted:

I think that's the joke.

If I ever have to not wall mount my current set I'm hosed because I have no idea where the stand is

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

I have a gas Kiva fireplace taking up a corner of my living room. I would have preferred a house without one, but it's like a requirement or something down here.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

NyetscapeNavigator posted:

Guy knew it was going to come right back down

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

Easy peasy.

an iksar marauder
May 6, 2022

An iksar marauder glowers at you dubiously -- looks like quite a gamble.
the worst part of that picture isn't the tv, it's the bare walls

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

an iksar marauder posted:

the worst part of that picture isn't the tv, it's the bare walls

My walls are super bare fwiw. I have one small art piece in the main area, one in the bathroom and that’s pretty much it. Dunno what else to put up even after browsing allposters or whatever the kids use these days

an iksar marauder
May 6, 2022

An iksar marauder glowers at you dubiously -- looks like quite a gamble.
I have some cool vintage posters from auction websites and random street market finds up, along with cheap small canvas prints of my funniest dall-e 2 creations

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Inner Light posted:

My walls are super bare fwiw. I have one small art piece in the main area, one in the bathroom and that’s pretty much it. Dunno what else to put up even after browsing allposters or whatever the kids use these days

White space is important.

Also go browse art from art festivals or first Fridays or whatever you can find in your town.

Upgrade
Jun 19, 2021

just make sure you keep the NSFW anime prints out of the public rooms

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

Upgrade posted:

There are no public rooms because it's my house, and I'll hang my GitS hentai scrolls wherever I drat well please.

cosmic gumbo
Mar 26, 2005

IMA
  1. GRIP
  2. N
  3. SIP
I have a room in my house that has this wood paneling attached to one wall:

The wood panels are 1/2 inch thick, what I assume dry wall behind it is 3/4 inch thick, and between the two is a soft/squishy brown material that's 1/4 inch thick

But also for some odd reason there is a gap that is missing that I can look down and see about 6.5 inches deep to what hits a wood beam

My plan was to line most of the wall with mounted shelving for my books and mount a TV as well. I tried using my stud finder on the wall but nothing hit which I assume is due to the wood paneling. I'd prefer to leave the paneling up just so I don't have the added expenses of getting rid of it and cleaning/painting whatever is behind it.

I've only dealt with dry wall so I wasn't sure if there were special materials needed for hanging a TV/shelves on this or if it's above my basic DIY skills. Any ideas or ways I can check to make sure it's capable of supporting the weight? Or what the brown stuff is and if I need to fill in the missing segment?

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
You can always disguise your TV as Fine Art with the Samsung The Frame panel!

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Upgrade posted:

Sonic art is okay though right? Chili dog.

I find art really annoying because I don't like 99% of it, a large portion of that costs too much and even if it doesn't framing costs more.
Anyway:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Thought this thread might enjoy this video. I found it really interesting!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bZGuSC7KNvM