Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

There was a Star Trek mod for Civ 4 that was adapted to Babylon 5, i don't think it was fully completed but i was so god damned happy to play anything B5 related. :neckbeard:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Not So Fast
Dec 27, 2007

crispix posted:

has liz given any examples of the anti-semitism in the civil service or are we just at the point where we call things we want to destroy anti-semitic

WFH destroys local bagel businesses

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral
^^^
if starmer can tell the way the wind is blowing and feels safe enough to make a policy statement like that while the tory heir-presumptive is still sticking to 'tax cuts, people don't want handouts, the hard-working energy companies should enjoy their well-deserved profits', it actually makes me a bit more fearful that we're heading to a situation related to what people were talking about last night, where the governing party is in the grasp of the true believers who can't conceive of being wrong about anything and will blithely ignore the signs of civil society cracking apart until we're past the tipping point. that would be bad!

anyway,
https://twitter.com/guardian/status/1558535256973742080?cxt=HHwWgMC8neHjg6ErAAAA

Chinese Gordon
Oct 22, 2008

I don't think PM Pork Markets is a true believer in anything other than saying/doing whatever she thinks will advance her career. That said, she is *definitely* politically inept enough to delay the inevitable price cap freeze until people are actually freezing to death.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?

crispix posted:

life atm sort of feels like the bit near the end of a civ game when your grassland starts turning into desert and you get pollution tiles and your big cities start to starve

Nah mate that's the point you launch your nukes at the enemy and destroy their cities. There was none of this woke "Are we the baddies?" nonsense back then

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

I drink a full US gallon every single day. I never feel dehydrated and just grab a gallon on my way to work and it's empty around 3 PM.

I don't normally feel hot at 90F. Even at 100F I feel fine and barely hot, as I'm well hydrated at all times.

Obviously you can't drink that gallon or the UK equivalent at a rapid pace but you can do so over a day. Seriously it'll help you feel cooler and your skin will thank you for the hydration.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I am the most hydrated man alive and I am physically incapable of overheating, i went on an expedition to the sun and didn't even care, just drink water sweaty.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

OwlFancier posted:

I am the most hydrated man alive and I am physically incapable of overheating, i went on an expedition to the sun and didn't even care, just drink water sweaty.

Would a boring man do this?

--

No haha not bragging. I just hate the loving heat and it gives me headaches so I've had to learn to keep up with it.

-- and a gallon of water in the desert is insufficient.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Aug 13, 2022

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

You should definitely brag about your fluid throughput capacity, I would if mine was good. More of a camel myself though.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

OwlFancier posted:

You should definitely brag about your fluid throughput capacity, I would if mine was good. More of a camel myself though.

Bragging about fluid throughout. That's going to be one of the post climate disaster PMs talking points.

"Folks I can retain water." CON+99

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
Do Picnic bars have much water in them?
As I just had three in a row there.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

Bragging about fluid throughout. That's going to be one of the post climate disaster PMs talking points.

"Folks I can retain water." CON+99
Nah, it'll be like Immortan Joe telling the plebs not to get addicted to it.

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.
If you do more than 4 litres or so strongly consider a rehydration sachet (dioralyte or knock-off) or at least some salty food, it makes a difference

The rehydration sachets taste less like death when mixed with squash and you find em cheap at home bargains or b&m

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

-- and a gallon of water in the desert is insufficient.

Yeah I spent a few days in the Western Desert in August a few years ago. We were drinking at least that and hardly peeing. But we did take the equivalent of rehydration salts, some kind of DIY mix of salt and sugar our Bedouin guides brought along.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Yeah I spent a few days in the Western Desert in August a few years ago. We were drinking at least that and hardly peeing. But we did take the equivalent of rehydration salts, some kind of DIY mix of salt and sugar our Bedouin guides brought along.

Rehydration salts are key. If your just trying to stay cool in a hot day they are less needed than hydration for survival. But they are really good if your already super dehydrated and need to get back to being able to regulate body temp fast.

I just saw a couple people say they had loving headaches because of the heat and I'm like oh poo poo dehydration detected.

Heat headaches are the absolute worst. I just get so irritated and really a pain to be around if I get to that point.

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall
It's either 8:1 or 6:.5 teaspoons sugar/salt per liter, I have no idea which formulation is currently recommended.

DesperateDan posted:

If you do more than 4 litres or so strongly consider a rehydration sachet (dioralyte or knock-off) or at least some salty food, it makes a difference

The rehydration sachets taste less like death when mixed with squash and you find em cheap at home bargains or b&m

Purple dioralyte is pretty tasty compared to most medical drinks imo

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

does tia maria count as electrolytes?

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

OwlFancier posted:

does tia maria count as electrolytes?

Yes but you have to sit in a bin full of water for it to have maximum effect

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Mebh
May 10, 2010

The heat death of the universe will happen before the "sensible adult" politicians of the Labour right take any action that has any risk at all to their comfortable opposition.

In other news. I have no idea how but my smart meter is telling me I'm spending 25p an hour on gas. I have no idea how. No gas hob, boiler isn't running. Preheat is off, water temp is way down and its not doing anything. Wasn't running the dishwasher or anything. I have no idea how. Do they take into account the standing charge or something?

I really want a goddamn hot water solution that is electric and doesn't cost me 5 grand plus so i can disconnect my gas. Are electric boilers still horrendous for cost to run?

Barrel Cactaur
Oct 6, 2021

Mebh posted:

The heat death of the universe will happen before the "sensible adult" politicians of the Labour right take any action that has any risk at all to their comfortable opposition.

In other news. I have no idea how but my smart meter is telling me I'm spending 25p an hour on gas. I have no idea how. No gas hob, boiler isn't running. Preheat is off, water temp is way down and its not doing anything. Wasn't running the dishwasher or anything. I have no idea how. Do they take into account the standing charge or something?

I really want a goddamn hot water solution that is electric and doesn't cost me 5 grand plus so i can disconnect my gas. Are electric boilers still horrendous for cost to run?

You got a leak somewhere. How old are your lines?

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Is that 25p/hr just the standing charge?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
I'm paying 27p/day for gas standing charge, which is bad enough. 25p/hr must either be a leak, a meter fuckup, or something very wrong with the downstream monitoring equipment.

Either way that's helping me plan to move to induction for cooking and some kind of alternative for hot water and heating.

Unfortunately

Mebh posted:

Are electric boilers still horrendous for cost to run?
is still 'yes'.

The best solution going forwards seems to be splitting the heating/HVAC from the hot water bit, after decades of structurally trying to do the opposite.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

I was loving around with the faceswap app yesterday and got Rishi singing Baby Shark. Every time I see him from now on, I'll hear him singing it in my head. It works.

https://twitter.com/stuwyatt/status/1558436353586626560

Tomberforce
May 30, 2006

Mebh posted:

Yeah heat pumps. Mine runs just off the solar panels.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

So it's a question of when, rather than if...

And I take it he's going to stand in Nadine's old seat when she's promoted to the Lords?

https://twitter.com/mikeysmith/status/1558506166082146305

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000

Mebh posted:

I just use a kettle and electric shower, so only on demand.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Mebh posted:

Wood, but I guess firewood's hella expensive in the UK too.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Have a race this morning and it's going to loving suck in this heat.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

fuctifino posted:

So it's a question of when, rather than if...

And I take it he's going to stand in Nadine's old seat when she's promoted to the Lords?

https://twitter.com/mikeysmith/status/1558506166082146305

The threat has already defanged the risk. We know the Tories have plans in place for it. He'll be taken aside by the chief whip and told that he can shut up, keep collecting his MP's salary and stand down at the next GE, or they can let the commissions do their work and they'll find something that lets them imprison him for a year. And even if the commissions fail - or they decide it's more politic to keep protecting Johnson in case it comes back on them, which is not impossible - he's done enough to disgrace the party that they can justify removing the whip. Hard to become Tory leader when you're not a Tory MP.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009

Necrothatcher posted:

Have a race this morning and it's going to loving suck in this heat.

Running/cycling?

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Belter from the Pleasance Theatre about Jerry Sadowitz eh? Booking a man well known for his close to the comedy & then binning it after 1 night is just daft.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
Bring on the rain. :cheers:

https://twitter.com/metoffice/status/1558730002853728256

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

forkboy84 posted:

Belter from the Pleasance Theatre about Jerry Sadowitz eh? Booking a man well known for his close to the comedy & then binning it after 1 night is just daft.

Depends why they did it. Anyone who walks on the edge is at risk of stepping over it. Maybe this time he went too far. The Fringe have also been a bit twitchy for a few years since one of their web designers got done for possession of CP.

Mebh
May 10, 2010

So I checked the front box, no movement. So no gas was being used. Checked each day on the smart meter Nearly no gas used! I tried rebooting the smart meter, and whatever i did today's gas usage was 25.3p a min! Tried turning it off and it just loving crashed and wouldn't respond to inputs.

In the end I popped the back off and levered out the battery. Put it back...

It really is a complete piece of poo poo. I hate these things.

Mebh fucked around with this message at 11:03 on Aug 14, 2022

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

Jedit posted:

Depends why they did it. Anyone who walks on the edge is at risk of stepping over it. Maybe this time he went too far. The Fringe have also been a bit twitchy for a few years since one of their web designers got done for possession of CP.

Pulled his cock out and used a racial slur about Rishi Sunak.

Speaking truth to power imo.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotl...DF-11F92052A482

Absolutely losing my mind at the way this has been worded by the BBC.

He got his cock out on stage and waved it in the face of people in the front row and called Sunak a p***.

https://www.thenational.scot/news/20645495.jerry-sadowitz-fringe-show-cancelled-showed-penis-woman-audience/

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
Yesterday I was in Home Bargains and this little kid maybe 2 years old was saying to his dad in distressed tones "I need a wee" so his dad said "I'll take you" followed by a horrified "NO! Don't get it out!"
Anyway I told dad there's an unadvertised loo in the store which staff will let you use if you ask.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

serious gaylord posted:

fringe-show-cancelled-showed-penis-woman-audience
Also the reason that Glinner is no longer welcome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

serious gaylord posted:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotl...DF-11F92052A482

Absolutely losing my mind at the way this has been worded by the BBC.

He got his cock out on stage and waved it in the face of people in the front row and called Sunak a p***.

https://www.thenational.scot/news/20645495.jerry-sadowitz-fringe-show-cancelled-showed-penis-woman-audience/

Hmm. I feel like context is key. Like yeah, this seems a bit beyond the limits of acceptability but at the same time I don't have a familiarity with Sadowitz material to know if he frequently uses racist slurs to where a venue should be stunned.

At the surface level it does seem a bit disappointingly lazy though.