Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

DamnGlitch posted:

I mean, cape Canaveral isn’t cape Kennedy anymore so

It's still the Kennedy Space Center though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Panic! At The Tesco posted:

The president will be Ed, with most of his body replaced by cyborg parts. He'll govern from The Whiteship, which is a spaceship that looks like the Whitehouse, as he travels the galaxy getting angry at stuff.

They just leaked some future season 4 stills of this.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Dead or alive, you're coming with me (to Europa)

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Cojawfee posted:

It's still the Kennedy Space Center though.

I’m sure the lbj big dick yell at senators while taking a dump bathroom stall still has its plague

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)
turns out all of this is a prequel to altered carbon, ed's stack and clone bodies aren't going anywhere

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Til they run out of money in the second season anyway.

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Noob Saibot posted:

Eeehhh felt this episode is where the show jumped the shark

First episode of the show I didn’t really care much for

Well I did enjoy this plot better in The Martian, everything else on earth was meh

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Baron von der Loon posted:

And I assume that we will be learning a bit more about what's been going on in Russia from Margo's point of view. I'm almost expecting something akin to Baltar joining the Cylons in season 3. Also hoping this won't be the last we'll see of Sergei.

One of the biggest teases in BSG was Baltar just casually suggesting to the Centurions that they could rebel, too, and nothing ever came of it. I'm conflicted on whether I want Margo to have a similar situation occur, or for them to pull the trigger this time around. Maybe in the sense that the NKVD KGB doesn't really fit in with a startrek-style utopia where this time-line is supposed to be headed.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Silly Burrito posted:

They just leaked some future season 4 stills of this.

That remake wasn’t great, but that bag of organs scene was genuinely unsettling and well done.

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 4 days!)

i tried starting season 3 but the dialogue was so clunky and i didn't really care about anything anymore after too many bad or boring storylines in season 2. karen is probably in my bottom 3 characters of all time. i almost want to see what the gently caress they cook up for her next, but looking at what people are saying, it sounds like it's not gonna get any better so i'm just gonna drop the show and consider the finale of s2 the ending for me, and that was a really good episode after a season of mostly crud. i can just not watch it!

Wheeljack
Jul 12, 2021

D-Pad posted:

I mean Ellen won't still be president in 2003 even if she gets a second term so not sure what else her character could do.

Non-consecutive terms? Founding and running a space-related NGO? First president of Mars?

Say, what’s happening in the mid-east if fusion has caused mass unemployment in the US fossil fuel sector? That could be a real mess and possible 9/11 trigger… if the west hadn’t mined helium 3, lots of Saudi royals would still be rich…

False
Oct 6, 2003
i have friends who will pull magazine models wearing headphones off of trains without even speaking the same language as them. Friends who will show up in a town after hitchhiking cross country for 3 days without showering and pull two girls working

roomtone posted:

i tried starting season 3 but the dialogue was so clunky and i didn't really care about anything anymore after too many bad or boring storylines in season 2. karen is probably in my bottom 3 characters of all time. i almost want to see what the gently caress they cook up for her next, but looking at what people are saying, it sounds like it's not gonna get any better so i'm just gonna drop the show and consider the finale of s2 the ending for me, and that was a really good episode after a season of mostly crud. i can just not watch it!

Just jumped into the thread to see if people we're saying positive things but... yea, this is pretty much how I feel so I think I'm going to be happy with season 2 and tap out.

Death By The Blues
Oct 30, 2011
Completely out of the realm of liberal streaming television, but would have loved if they really leaned into the alt-reality and made a successful Marxist-Maoism pan African coalition between Western and Central Africa whose economies sky rocketed cause their materials and lithium mines are more valuable in a technologically accelerated future with fusion reactors. Really lean into it and have an African American spy turn to their side, because of all the poo poo America did to the civil rights between 60-80s. However, yea they would never touch that lol

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Death By The Blues posted:

Completely out of the realm of liberal streaming television, but would have loved if they really leaned into the alt-reality and made a successful Marxist-Maoism pan African coalition between Western and Central Africa whose economies sky rocketed cause their materials and lithium mines are more valuable in a technologically accelerated future with fusion reactors. Really lean into it and have an African American spy turn to their side, because of all the poo poo America did to the civil rights between 60-80s. However, yea they would never touch that lol

Earth Queen Danielle Poole is still a possibility, don't give up!

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

roomtone posted:

Karen is no poo poo redeemed in season 3, becomes a proper character again instead of being 100% "ugh" every time she's on screen.

(This isn't me trying to convince you to watch, but I was surprised how I came to look forward to Karen showing up.)

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

I liked Karens arc in S3 as well, but if folk are looking for a reason to stop they might as well just stop. Looking for excuses to stop watching a show you should be enjoying is no way to spend your leisure time.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Just watched, initial thoughts:
-madame president, your party stands ready to impeach you. Your only hope is the other party voting against it. You seem to have decided to stick with the GOP even though you don’t have to do that and are going to get primaried even if you aren’t removed.

-our plan is to have this NASA kid mess with their communications so I guess we can read our manifesto about why we don’t like NASA? We’ll record our manifesto in broad daylight next to security, instead of getting far away. Let’s pack rifles for no reason, and we somehow have a ridiculously powerful bomb. We brought duct tape so let’s tie up the kid next to the bomb as we are cartoons. He’ll stand very close when it detonates and be fine.

-wish they’d shown the NK reaction to learning they won the Mars race. I did like the actor.

-alright Danny your punishment is to sit alone in this capsule for a year and a half. NASA approved this.. We still plan to haul you back to Earth eventually? Ugh felt like they chickened out on having him die, can’t deny the audience more Danny for S4.

-Molly was one of the best characters, boo. Couldn’t even bother to include Wayne in the ep.

-one of the biggest appeals of the show was as it’s an alternate timeline no one should be safe so the audience feels the tension. We don’t know if Buzz & Neil survived the moon landing, or if Molly will find water, or if Tracy & Gordo’s duct tape suits will work. But they’ve lost that so didn’t feel like Kelly or Ed were in danger.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
What's the name of the cosmonaut that went out with Danny?

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Just watched, initial thoughts:

-one of the biggest appeals of the show was as it’s an alternate timeline no one should be safe so the audience feels the tension. We don’t know if Buzz & Neil survived the moon landing, or if Molly will find water, or if Tracy & Gordo’s duct tape suits will work. But they’ve lost that so didn’t feel like Kelly or Ed were in danger.

I mean, a bunch other people did die. Should they ALL die?

ChadSexington
Aug 12, 2004
I am so not competitive. In fact, I am the least non-competitive. So I win.
With three seasons down and presumably four left to go (assuming the writers really do have a seven season arc already planned out) I wonder how much longer they’re going to stick with the decade time skips. Ending the series in the 2030s seems like a stretch if we’re getting that Star Trek-esque ending the writers have talked about. They need to start getting some Alcubierre Drives going soon or I see this show ending up more like the Expanse, technologically and societally, than Star Trek.

Overdrift
Jul 17, 2006

This is Fatherman! He fights crime to earn Sonboy's respect! Is it working?

Hyrax Attack! posted:

-Molly was one of the best characters, boo. Couldn’t even bother to include Wayne in the ep.

I was a bit confused by this plot point. One minute it seems she is leading everyone to safety and the next minute everyone is watching her walk away into smoke, never to return?

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

I was confused by that too.

About the Wayne/Molly thing, I found it pretty funny how they never appeared in the same episode this season — for increasingly contrived reasons. When each did show up, they made sure to make it a big part of the episode. It was transparently a budgetary decision lol.

Baron von der Loon
Feb 12, 2009

Awesome!

Overdrift posted:

I was a bit confused by this plot point. One minute it seems she is leading everyone to safety and the next minute everyone is watching her walk away into smoke, never to return?
I assumed those people were now safe, so she was going back to find more survivors.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Baron von der Loon posted:

I assumed those people were now safe, so she was going back to find more survivors.
She says this out loud in the scene

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

DamnGlitch posted:

I mean, a bunch other people did die. Should they ALL die?

That’s fair, although I know it’s tv and main characters will probably stick around it’s important to have the feeling that anyone could go as they do dangerous stuff. Watching Ed who is supposed to be in his 60s told only the most perfect pilot ever could have the split second timing needed for this maneuver, then he pulls it off no problem feels like when Hulk Hogan was given storyline veto power and kept winning each week against “impossible odds” and it got dull.

Vegetable posted:

I was confused by that too.

About the Wayne/Molly thing, I found it pretty funny how they never appeared in the same episode this season — for increasingly contrived reasons. When each did show up, they made sure to make it a big part of the episode. It was transparently a budgetary decision lol.

Argh that’s frustrating, Apple has infinite money and this is their 2nd or 3rd biggest show. Hard to justify cheating out on two talented but not big name actors and severely hampering storytelling.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Maybe the actors became deadly enemies and couldn't be on set at the same time.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Both of them on set simultaneously caused a critical gooball mass, halting filming for days

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

Wayne is the good vibes stoner, molly the bad vibes stoner. If they touch all the weed on earth will stop working forever.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

bawfuls posted:

She says this out loud in the scene

She does, but it still just weird because you'd assume that she just kept helping people based on the setup. There was no indication that the building collapsed after she went in [E: in fact we see it's in the same state with semi-collapse facade in the shot immediately after that, when Aleida walks into Margo's office, as it is days later], maybe they decided to write her out later and shoehorned the newspaper in to explain it

mobby_6kl fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Aug 13, 2022

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

Never turn back to save others and slowly fade into the darkness as others look on and cry. Real bad for one's health according to TV.

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret
My head cannon explanation is...

She went down a hallway that wasnt there anymore and fell to her death, the writers found it to be too slapstick to put in the show

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

People don't realize how easy it is to die from smoke inhalation.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Also she may have been injured in the explosion internally and have been running on adrenaline. The sense to me was even blind Molly was gonna do everything she could to help and did just that, from injury to smoke inhalation to a rafter falling on her head. It's a big part of her character.

They even make a point to show she has the place memorized JSE by step. Whether you interoperate it that way or think "Oh she walked into a hole in the floor lol", the intent behind the scene was clearly heroic.

Owling Howl
Jul 17, 2019
She very obviously died of a broken heart.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

nooneofconsequence posted:

People don't realize how easy it is to die from smoke inhalation.

Yeah, I find it baffling how anyone here is questioning her death.

An older blind and possibly injured woman went back into smoking rubble to rescue folks multiple times in a building that had just sustained massive structural damage. You don’t need to see her mangled body on screen while someone says “I guess NASA hero Molly Cobb is dead now” to understand the visual language of her last scene.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

you say that now but wait until molly cobb appears in pyongyang in the next season

Noob Saibot
Jan 29, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
Kid A really?

Why not something more iconic like Limp Bizkit, Korn or Linkin park. Hell i'd even take Backstreet Boys or Nsync. I didnt even know who radiohead was at that time

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time

Noob Saibot posted:

Kid A really?

Why not something more iconic like Limp Bizkit, Korn or Linkin park. Hell i'd even take Backstreet Boys or Nsync. I didnt even know who radiohead was at that time

gonna airlock u

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Maybe much like the second season ending they wanted a song with some thematically appropriate lyric/title?

But by 2003 Radiohead were like a decade into major mainstream popularity and Kid A was two albums ago

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

Noob Saibot posted:

Kid A really?

Why not something more iconic like Limp Bizkit

IT'S JUST ONE OF THOSE DAYS