Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gay frog chemicals
May 27, 2022

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

teen witch posted:

Let’s because I didn’t twig on to that, and I feel like a sartorial Alex Jones.

WHAT ELSE ARE THEY HIDING

Pockets, literally and figuratively.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Solkanar512 posted:

AITA for calling my sister out for faking being a POC when she’s white?

The comments are just loving special.

As a mixed-race POC, gently caress the OP's sister. Yes, I, as a mixed-race POC just LOVE it when some special whypeepo fuckhead comes along and decided that they, as THE WHITE PERSON has special privileges ordained by God or Allah or whatever to decide for me, a lowly filthy person of colour what my ethnic identity is, because WHYPEEPO'S SPECIAL GODLY WORD IS LAW.

Like, if I wanted your white motherfucker opinion on what my ethnic identity is, I'd have asked you for it.

Nae
Sep 3, 2020

what.

Midnight Voyager posted:

Let's talk about how "boyfriend" styles tend to be just "loose and comfy" as if comfy clothing can't be made for women, it's gotta be something they borrowed from their boyfriends!

The boyfriend nomenclature is dumb but there is something special about wearing jeans that are new to you but have already been completely broken in by someone else (perhaps even a boyfriend!). It's a special feeling that can't be easily replicated, not even if you buy the jeans 'pre-broken in'.

Shithouse Dave
Aug 5, 2007

each post manufactured to the highest specifications

Nae posted:

The boyfriend nomenclature is dumb but there is something special about wearing jeans that are new to you but have already been completely broken in by someone else (perhaps even a boyfriend!). It's a special feeling that can't be easily replicated, not even if you buy the jeans 'pre-broken in'.

You can get this at the thrift store for much less money

Nae
Sep 3, 2020

what.

Shithouse Dave posted:

You can get this at the thrift store for much less money

less than the zero i pay stealing them from my boyfriend? i dont think so shithouse

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
My boyfriend has a bit of a hank hill rear end and needless to say, his jeans are his.

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat
i haven't worn a jean since i was first allowed to pick my own clothes

denim is just really uncomfortable for me, idk maybe i'm weird

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

Foo Diddley posted:

i haven't worn a jean since i was first allowed to pick my own clothes

denim is just really uncomfortable for me, idk maybe i'm weird

:same: as a fat autistic goon basketball shorts or khakis all the way, it's a Texture Thing

edgeman83
Jul 13, 2003
Here is the inverse of the moving to Ireland dude:
AITA because I don't want to share my Irish culture with my American classmates?

quote:

My (16F) family and I recently moved from Dublin, Ireland, to a small town in the South of the United States, a real "Bible Belt" town where it seems they don't get a lot of "foreigners" like myself and my family. I recently joined the local high school as a Sophomore, or 10th grade. It's been a bit of a learning experience and I'm trying to navigate the difference between here and home. To be honest, it was not my idea to move to America but my parents both have jobs that gave them better opportunities than Dublin was offering and they decided to move out here.

I don't like it here.

My classmates keep making this big to-do about my loving accent, asking me stupid poo poo like "have you ever seen a lepurchan?" "do you all live in little stone cottages and wear buckle shoes", things like that, stereotypes of life in Ireland. Quite a few have asked me to quote the Lucky Charms bastard or that character from Austin Powers. It doesn't help that I look like an Irish stereotype; I've got red hair and pale skin and freckles and a thick accent. It's all so annoying. I don't like it here and I miss Ireland, miss my family, my nan and my cousins and all my friends. I had so many friends and now we're living in America we're all finding it hard to continue being friends because Ireland is hours ahead of where we live and its hard to maintain friendships over Insta and Facebook and all.

The school I'm attending has started having the physical classroom. One of my history classes this year has a focus on other cultures than just American, so we study different countries. My teacher didn't wait long to ask me to share about life "ion the far away land of Ireland". Thing is, I don't want to be some loving show pony for these people. My culture, my country, is not some display to be touted out like this. We're real people, we have real lives, we're not stuck in the 1700s farming sheep and poo poo, we have cities and internet and health care, we're a fully evolved society. It isn't my job to teach her class.

Of course, I'm now seen as some kind of anti-social bully because I told the teacher plainly that I would not agree to her request. Now the school wants to have a sit-down with my parents and me because they "have concerns" about my well-being.

We have a student who moved here three years ago from Mexico but she didn't ask him to participate.

Am I really such an rear end in a top hat because I don't want to be used as some kind of performance monkey because I'm from a different country?

I find it funny how people are commiserating with the Irish kid when it kinda sounds like people are just interested in him(in annoyingly insensitive teenage ways), but the lonely and isolated American is just told to suck it up.

I will say, though, you couldn't pay me enough money to move to a small town in the south. Hell, living in a small town in the north is bad enough!

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

"Behold, I will corrupt your seed, and spread dung upon your faces"

Malachi 2:3
AITA for giving out homemade peanut butter treats at the dog park?

quote:

I (23f) was visiting my elderly grandmother in her gated neighborhood. We usually would spend our time there together playing backgammon or baking, but she wasn’t feeling well this time around. I decided I would bake some of the dog treats we made when she used to have her toy poodle Scotty.

Anyways, there is a new dog park in her community. Even though grandma was exhausted we decided to make the peanut butter dog treats and bring them to the dog park. We added rhubarb into them, which is great for dogs bone density and keeping coats shiney.

Grandma wasn’t feeling good enough to actually deliver the treats with me. So after we baked them, I went by myself to deliver them. Long story short, the residents didn’t recognize me giving dog treats out to their dogs. They reported me and the community park police came. I don’t know who reported me, but they took my name and followed me back to my grandmas residence to confirm I belonged there.

Anyways I just feel like a jerk. AITA?

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Invisible Clergy posted:

Only mentioned grandma being plum tuckered out in 3 out of four paragraphs, 4/10

Bonster
Mar 3, 2007

Keep rolling, rolling

Invisible Clergy posted:

Rhubarb is poisonous to dogs

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Don’t feed stuff to other people’s pets without clearing it with them what the gently caress

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Invisible Clergy posted:

She's no Tom Lehrer.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yhuMLpdnOjY

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

haveblue posted:

Don’t feed stuff to other people’s pets without clearing it with them what the gently caress

This comes up for me fairly often, and pisses me off. My dog is allergic to chicken, which is in SO MUCH stuff when it comes to dog treats.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

edgeman83 posted:

AITA because I don't want to share my Irish culture with my American classmates?

I find it funny how people are commiserating with the Irish kid when it kinda sounds like people are just interested in him(in annoyingly insensitive teenage ways), but the lonely and isolated American is just told to suck it up.

I will say, though, you couldn't pay me enough money to move to a small town in the south. Hell, living in a small town in the north is bad enough!

Dude, the other kids are asking poo poo like "lol quote Fat Bastard and Lucky" not "What was it like in Dublin?". They're being assholes.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Bonster posted:

Rhubarb is poisonous to dogs

I think (hope) that one was a fake to rile people up, just because rhubarb is a random-rear end ingredient to mention out of nowhere if it wasn't something dangerous.

CaptainViolence
Apr 19, 2006

I'M GONNA GET YOU DUCK

maybe that's why grandma used to have a poodle

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Captain Hygiene posted:

I think (hope) that one was a fake to rile people up, just because rhubarb is a random-rear end ingredient to mention out of nowhere if it wasn't something dangerous.

The OP is doubling down in the comments. People have pointed out that rhubarb supposedly helps bone density and hair quality in humans.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

AngryRobotsInc posted:

This comes up for me fairly often, and pisses me off. My dog is allergic to chicken, which is in SO MUCH stuff when it comes to dog treats.

That sounds really annoying, I assume dog doesn't care and will happily scarf anything? I have an aversion to the smell of things I'm allergic to.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?

Bruceski posted:

That sounds really annoying, I assume dog doesn't care and will happily scarf anything? I have an aversion to the smell of things I'm allergic to.

Dogs are not smart in that particular way, no. They will eat anything.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Bruceski posted:

Yeah, she'll eat Anything And Everything. She's tried to commit Suicide By Chocolate once (I thought they were high enough. Turns out she apparently knows parkour), and I figured out several varieties of Blue Buffalo that were supposed to be chicken free were contaminated with it before they openly admitted to it.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Guildenstern Mother posted:

LOL, every summer my dog gets the runs every couple weeks because he cannot stop himself from eating rabbit poo poo.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

I'd like, if I may, to further muddy the waters, and continue the mixed race/whiteness derail. No need to thank me.

I, and my brother are mixed race, (Dad is from India and Mum is from England. They both independently moved to Australia, married and had us.) We are kinda olive skinned.

The first thing all of the Indian side of our family/family friends asked when we were born was not "Are they healthy?" or even "Are they OK?" but instead "Are they fair?". Referring to our skin colour. Discrimination based on darkness of skin is rampant, and almost as bad/prevalent as discrimination based on caste. (There is an unfeasably long, ugly, and complicated list of things that Indians will find to discriminate/look down on other indians.)

A long ways back there was another Aussie talking about their friend who was 1/8 Aboriginal, but was called a 'wog'. My brother and I got that too. I reckon due to the same reason, (olive complexion and foreign sounding last names.)

On the last name stuff. We have a very noticably Indian last name, (as noticably Indian as Tendulkar, but way more common.) And as such are constantly getting people surprised when they learn our names. My brother's wife cops it as well. She is a kindergarten teacher, and has parents come up to her and say "When my daughter said her teacher was Mrs "Tendulkar"(not our real name), I didn't expect it to be a white woman.

And on the classification of races. One of the things I always like to say is that in the old South Africa I, and my brother, would be forced to sit at the back of the bus. Despite our fair complexion. Coz in Apartheid SA there were 4 "races" White, Black, Indian and Coloured. Where Coloured included Mixed Race people. Which my brother and I are, (Indian + White).

Sorry for the derail continuing ramble. I hope it wasn't too boring/aggravating.

gay frog chemicals
May 27, 2022

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dogs brains are not programmed to know that they've been bred into allergies and given access to foods that can kill them, there's no way for them to know that the thing that smells or tastes good might be bad for them.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Guildenstern Mother posted:

Dogs will eat rotten food, violently poo poo it out, then eat their own poo poo.

Not sure where their survival instincts went in the journey from feral animals to domestic pets or maybe that's just a thing for canines.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Dogs appear to have evolved a feeding strategy of eating whatever’s available and figuring out if it’s food later

Barudak
May 7, 2007

haveblue posted:

Dogs appear to have evolved a feeding strategy of eating whatever’s available and figuring out if it’s food later

Thats what the human is for, to determine what is not food.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

gay frog chemicals posted:

Dogs brains are not programmed to know that they've been bred into allergies and given access to foods that can kill them, there's no way for them to know that the thing that smells or tastes good might be bad for them.

That's why I was curious, because my poison instinct is shared with rats; they're naturally suspicious and will avoid stuff that's made them sick in the past. Nobody knows they have an allergy going in but after my first encounter with it peanuts now smell completely disgusting. Any sense of "that smells good but I can't eat it" is gone.

gay frog chemicals
May 27, 2022

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dogs generally aren't going to be able to do that, no. Especially considering that dog food is a homogenized mixture of meats and grains and probably sawdust that's been ground together and put into pellet or wet mush form for them to eat, and it would be pretty difficult for them to recognize the difference between a dog food with wheat or soy or chicken in it and a dog food without. Dogs are also a lot bigger than rats and less likely to be killed by a tiny bit of rotten meat or poisonous plant (all of which generally have tastes or smells strong enough to repel a dog pretty quickly after the first bite).

If you didn't know it was the peanuts making you sick and your food was a big mixture of a bunch of different stuff it would be a lot harder for you to identify and reject the peanuts specifically. In the evolutionary history of dogs there's also not much reason for them to be on the lookout for allergies, those are bred into them by dog show creeps who invent things like pugs or whatever.

Uncle Enzo
Apr 28, 2008

I always wanted to be a Wizard

edgeman83 posted:

They're not the inverse at all, uprooting a kid to a different country is loving bullshit and it's 15x worse for teenagers.

The only reason you should pull a 14+ year old out of school and move them to another culture is direct physical danger or completely hosed economics, like "we emigrate or we sleep under a bridge". Once your kids are that age you need to stay put until they move out.

Source: me and my 6 siblings got moved from Dallas, TX to France where we knew 0 people and didn't speak the language.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Barudak posted:

Thats what the human is for, to determine what is not food.

Yes but they use every brain cell they have specifically to figure out how to access food that is being kept away from them because it will kill them.

Ask me how many times my diabetic dog has had to have his stomach pumped (I won't be able to answer you)

edgeman83
Jul 13, 2003

Uncle Enzo posted:

They're not the inverse at all, uprooting a kid to a different country is loving bullshit and it's 15x worse for teenagers.

The only reason you should pull a 14+ year old out of school and move them to another culture is direct physical danger or completely hosed economics, like "we emigrate or we sleep under a bridge". Once your kids are that age you need to stay put until they move out.

Source: me and my 6 siblings got moved from Dallas, TX to France where we knew 0 people and didn't speak the language.

They were both late teens being moved from one culture to the other. What happened is equivalent, as the actual move was the mostly the opposite. I agree, both parents suck rear end, the thing I was contrasting was Reddit's response.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

BrigadierSensible posted:

A long ways back there was another Aussie talking about their friend who was 1/8 Aboriginal, but was called a 'wog'. My brother and I got that too. I reckon due to the same reason, (olive complexion and foreign sounding last names.)

Yeah, that's supposed to be basically a Mediterranean aimed slur right? Toward Greeks and Lebanese people over there?

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Grape posted:

Yeah, that's supposed to be basically a Mediterranean aimed slur right? Toward Greeks and Lebanese people over there?

Yes.

Wog = All purpose slur against Greek, Italian, all Mediterranean people.

I think the US equivalent would be "wop"

Wog has largely been "reclaimed" by people proud of their 1st generation immigrant culture, and the way in which it has been adapted/absorbed/changed by Australia. It is rarely used maliciously these days, apart from by proper racists.

BrigadierSensible fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Aug 14, 2022

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?

Yes.

Wop would specifically be Italian, although I wouldn't put it past our more exuberant racists to apply it to any generally swarthy Mediterranean folk.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Yes.

That's only focused on Italians, and also pretty much extinct in the wild thankfully.
I don't think Americans have ever had anything to throw at Greeks in specific, though... some people will really show their rear end when they react to Greeks not being blonde and blue eyed for some reason. I've seen that one.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Grape posted:

I don't think Americans have ever had anything to throw at Greeks in specific, though... some people will really show their rear end when they react to Greeks not being blonde and blue eyed for some reason. I've seen that one.

Eh? What happens?
And why?

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Quackles posted:

Eh? What happens?
And why?

I do remember there was a big lovely to-do about the characters in Assassin's Creed Odyssey being brown for some stupid-rear end reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Quackles posted:

Eh? What happens?
And why?

Through media and like 200 years of stuffy Western Euro/North American academia lots of people think of Greece as basically some kind of ancient aryan paradise with pillars and olives. Throw in Hollywood and you can add British accents (all this kind of applies to Rome too). Even non fash can come to this weird vision of the place, it's just so common to absorb through osmosis.

Then come to find out, this extremely sunny place right next to the middle east actually has mostly tan black haired people with other common Mediterranean features? And some people just go "oh ok", and others though? Weird poo poo comes out. Like "oh I guess all the invading muslims turned them brown". Which I've also heard about Sicily and southern Italy in general.

It also seems to come along with people having a childish video game idea of continents, so like Europe looks like France or whatever all the way up to the Turkish border. And then suddenly Turkey looks like Saudi Arabia.