Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

DID NOT VOTE FOR FETTERMAN
I got my first "b-club" hope the resin doesn't poison me too bad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Where a good dust mask and wet sand and you should be fine

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.

Zedd posted:

Heels to the sky, Western spy. :colbert:

Heels on the ground, a friend you've found. Heels in the air, a Yankee beware.

War and Pieces posted:

I got my first "b-club" hope the resin doesn't poison me too bad

Monaghan was perfectly clear and correct, but it can't be emphasized enough when you're loving around with resin - wear a face covering, the higher-spec the better, and try to moisten your work surfaces. The dust is what gets you. If you're just gluing stuff together, and you're not working with a leaky resin print or something, you should be okay.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

We did it!

https://twitter.com/Erzat110/status/1558478492463144960?s=20

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

The natural order is restored.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
So how many hundreds or thousands of times smaller is it compared to Pokémon or Hello Kitty?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Why do you think Hello Kitty and Gundam did a crossover? All part of the plan

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Star Man posted:

So how many hundreds or thousands of times smaller is it compared to Pokémon or Hello Kitty?

According to Wikipedia, Gundam is about a quarter the size of Pokemon, and a bit under a third the size of Hello Kitty in total income.

Gundam is also about twice the size of One Piece.

Gundam is really big.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Pokemon being so large isn't surprising but I feel like they could captilise on it better. If TPC went full Disney it would probably be double the size.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

...what Gundam thing came out in 2015?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Schwarzwald posted:

...what Gundam thing came out in 2015?

IBO.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
I just find it so hard to believe that Gundam is more valuable franchises than One Piece. I don't think anyone under the age of thirty outside of Japan even knows what the gently caress a gundam is. Like the data is right there and it's telling me that Gundam makes way more money than One Piece, but it feels wrong.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

One Piece ain't slinging plastic crack

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Gaius Marius posted:

Pokemon being so large isn't surprising but I feel like they could captilise on it better. If TPC went full Disney it would probably be double the size.

It's already the biggest IP in the world by a big gap

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
I know utterly nothing about One Piece other than it being massively popular. What about it is it that it doesn't sell a shitload of toys?

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

kirbysuperstar posted:

It's already the biggest IP in the world by a big gap

I'm aware

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Star Man posted:

I just find it so hard to believe that Gundam is more valuable franchises than One Piece. I don't think anyone under the age of thirty outside of Japan even knows what the gently caress a gundam is. Like the data is right there and it's telling me that Gundam makes way more money than One Piece, but it feels wrong.

Iron Blooded Orphans had the highest ratings of any seasonal anime during its second half, and was responsible for one of the largest internet memes in Japan, while Hathaway made over 15 million USD in theaters.

Also, you know. Bandai just built a life sized walking Gundam a couple years ago.

Gundam is huge. Even people who don't watch it know about it.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Star Man posted:

I know utterly nothing about One Piece other than it being massively popular. What about it is it that it doesn't sell a shitload of toys?

One Piece doesn't really do toys. It's mostly making its money off of manga sales.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

I knew IBO was as hit but I didn't realize it was that big.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

So where does the mystical double that come from

e: going to come from, I mean

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Theme parks, Theatrical movies, better co branding.

I'm not sure if it's the way the company is set up, but there is a seeming under leveraging of the power of the brand. There's a world where Pokemon movies are blockbusters the way Marvel movies are, and kids go to theme parks styled after Pokemon instead of Mickey. TPC doesn't have the war chest Disney does, but they could more effectively utilize the brand power they have. I'm glad they don't seeing as Disney doing the same created one of the most hellacious companies on earth, but they could.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

Star Man posted:

Also knowing almost nothing about One Piece, I'd guess it's audience is slightly too old for normal toys but it doesn't lend itself to the model kits teenagers+ buy?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

There's like some figures and model kits, but yeah it's just not a big priority for the franchise for about those reasons.

boz
Oct 16, 2005
Ball Twins are a bust, only paints I have right now are a cheap 20 dollar acrylic set I bought off of Amazon. Learning that I may need to invest in something not those to get decent results. May try again later but for now it's going back on the shelf.

Going for this next instead:

Televisio Frankus
Jun 8, 2010

Cat Hatter posted:

Also knowing almost nothing about One Piece, I'd guess it's audience is slightly too old for normal toys but it doesn't lend itself to the model kits teenagers+ buy?

There are several model kits, mostly for the various boats. I'm planning on ordering the Going Merry and Thousand Sunny after I finish my current backlog.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Gaius Marius posted:

Theme parks, Theatrical movies, better co branding.

I'm not sure if it's the way the company is set up, but there is a seeming under leveraging of the power of the brand. There's a world where Pokemon movies are blockbusters the way Marvel movies are, and kids go to theme parks styled after Pokemon instead of Mickey. TPC doesn't have the war chest Disney does, but they could more effectively utilize the brand power they have. I'm glad they don't seeing as Disney doing the same created one of the most hellacious companies on earth, but they could.

Mm, I guess it's bit of a surprise they never did do a theme park but I guess they've been threatening to bring it to Universal for a while. I suppose Detective Pikachu was kind of a litmus test for that sort of movie too (and I did enjoy that a lot myself).

With that being said, RG Luvdisc plastic model kit when

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

kirbysuperstar posted:

Mm, I guess it's bit of a surprise they never did do a theme park but I guess they've been threatening to bring it to Universal for a while. I suppose Detective Pikachu was kind of a litmus test for that sort of movie too (and I did enjoy that a lot myself).

With that being said, RG Luvdisc plastic model kit when

They did have a small theme park in 2005. Just a basic thing, but it was set up in two locations for a few months each.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

War and Pieces posted:

heels are off the ground, hes not a real slav

That's because he's a no good trouble making Yankee! No, not those ones, these ones:

Spectral Elvis
Jul 23, 2007

Backlogust progress report. Three mostly assembled and primed Andromed class battleships waiting for base coats.

Very surprised that each of these needed sanding and filling in places. Never experienced that with a Bandai kit before.

St0rmD
Sep 25, 2002

We shoulda just dropped this guy over the Middle East"

Star Man posted:

who cares, nobody under 30 has any money

Just Dan Again
Dec 16, 2012

Adventure!
Wrapped up a couple of kits this week.

And on to the next!

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Goddamnit, the nut on the air valve of my air brush fell off. I found the nut, but the spring is goooooone.

FIne.

I can do an unpainted RG grandpa while replacement parts ship.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

St0rmD posted:

who cares, nobody under 30 has any money

Are you an advertising executive from the 50s? Kids have parents with money. Teenagers have small amounts of money but no bills so it's all expendable.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
lol my parents would give me money when I was fourteen and be mad that I spent it

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
Back to the grind.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Gunpla has gotten significantly bigger since the pandemic. If bandai can capitalise on this and make decent pushes into the western market, I would not be surprised if the amount of sales just explodes.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012

Monaghan posted:

Gunpla has gotten significantly bigger since the pandemic. If bandai can capitalise on this and make decent pushes into the western market, I would not be surprised if the amount of sales just explodes.

They already started to though. Getting them on target store shelves is a pretty solid start to having a lot of eyes on it. Especially since most of the kits offered are the hg kits. I think some barnes and noble also carry some as well, though it doesn't seem the one closest to me has any (they did have a good selection of lego kits though).

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

JuffoWup posted:

They already started to though. Getting them on target store shelves is a pretty solid start to having a lot of eyes on it. Especially since most of the kits offered are the hg kits. I think some barnes and noble also carry some as well, though it doesn't seem the one closest to me has any (they did have a good selection of lego kits though).

After the initial stock of 20-year old Wing "HG"s B&N was doing pretty well at stocking recent releases in both Gundam and Star Wars but someone stuck them with a bunch of Frame Arms and non-transforming Transformers kits that (shocker) aren't moving so they seem to have stalled out. Not sure if this is Bluefin/Bandai getting weird with supply or if B&N's buyers tried to diversify their offerings and made some bad choices.

Lawrence Gilchrist
Mar 31, 2010

Midjack posted:

After the initial stock of 20-year old Wing "HG"s B&N was doing pretty well at stocking recent releases in both Gundam and Star Wars but someone stuck them with a bunch of Frame Arms and non-transforming Transformers kits that (shocker) aren't moving so they seem to have stalled out. Not sure if this is Bluefin/Bandai getting weird with supply or if B&N's buyers tried to diversify their offerings and made some bad choices.

a bunch of frame arms kagutsuchis for 25 and one dusty hg sums up the situation at four different B&Ns I've visited in the last few months. I got the sniper one but it deffo needs a paint job that I don't have the skill for yet. I'm going to clear coat my Aesculapius when it's ready and after that I'll try airbrushing a Leo into a Space Leo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lawrence Gilchrist
Mar 31, 2010

Having made and lost the original Griepe and as a fan of G-Unit, I couldn't put this one down, even though I put it off thinking I would hock it because of videos showing the claw arms held on by a wing and a prayer. The matte clear coat marker sadly refused to cooperate with the airbrush, cork tip or no, but it looks okay and I'd rather test my purple on the HG Leo anyway.