Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp
It's very alarming that Team 5 constantly prints ridiculous mana cheats over and over. They brought BRann back to Standard, printed a new Kael, like come on lol any kind of mana cheating is always busted in Hearthstone, and yet, here we are.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
All that matters is giving the common player that endorphin rush of pulling off a 360 no-scope boom headshot OTK like their favorite streamer.

Welcome to Troldenstorm.

Strawberry Panda
Nov 4, 2007

Breakfast Defecting, Slow Dick Touching, Root Beer Barreling SwagVP

Blockhouse posted:

I can live with that Vile Library nerf

It's way too strong. It's why Control Shaman is the counter to Implock right now - you can evolve down the imps and make it useless. But if you don't have an answer for Implosion on 3 after Vile library has been placed in board on 2, game over in 4 turns.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

BIG HEADLINE posted:

All that matters is giving the common player that endorphin rush of pulling off a 360 no-scope boom headshot OTK like their favorite streamer.

Welcome to Troldenstorm.

Its been trending that way since Old Gods, maybe before. It's incredibly annoying. I should probably just try to find another card game to play.

Jesus Sire is just degenerate gameplay. Oh you cleared my board over and over? Well now youre punished! Oh you havent cleared my board? Well now youre punished! Did you draw Mutanus or Theotar and hit the jackpot? That's what the game is degenerating into. Legend is an absolute shitshow and Im sure Diamond is now too. Oh oops I forgot to mention the ridiclous location or weap[on for Rogue, or the high roll Pelagos, everything in HS is a highroll or waiting for Sire to go off, this is kind of bad.

Also I could just be drunk, who can say?

PneumonicBook fucked around with this message at 06:42 on Aug 13, 2022

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
Naturally they nerf control shaman as soon as I craft the cards to make it.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp
I like that the nerf to implock is just -1/-1 to something. I just died to curse/implock on turn 4. If that nerf was there I would have died on...turn 5. lol.

Strawberry Panda
Nov 4, 2007

Breakfast Defecting, Slow Dick Touching, Root Beer Barreling SwagVP

Mayveena posted:

Naturally they nerf control shaman as soon as I craft the cards to make it.

Join me and be a degenerate with it all weekend!

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

PneumonicBook posted:

It's very alarming that Team 5 constantly prints ridiculous mana cheats over and over. They brought BRann back to Standard, printed a new Kael, like come on lol any kind of mana cheating is always busted in Hearthstone, and yet, here we are.

They already explained their game design stance on this, summarized as: mana cheats are fun, they are interesting, they are higher risk design, and if the dev team was too shy to take game design risks like this it would be bland and suck.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

AnacondaHL posted:

They already explained their game design stance on this, summarized as: mana cheats are fun, they are interesting, they are higher risk design, and if the dev team was too shy to take game design risks like this it would be bland and suck.

I'm not really a Team 5 Defender but generally agree with this. I think they could benefit from being more constrained in some ways but I also would not play the game if it was just dragging Chillwind Yetis into Boulderfist Ogres.

victorious
Jul 2, 2007

As a youth I prayed, "Give me chastity and continence, but not yet."
Well I'm not really surprised or disappointed to see Snowfall Guardian nerfed, but I hope Control Shaman stays viable, it's so much fun. I'm guessing they get cut now along with the Dungeoneers and maybe one Macaw. I'd like to see more evolve shenanigans in the deck instead, although that can screw up your Devourers. Maybe it goes back down to 30 cards? I don't think there are enough evolve activators to make a 40-card version consistent enough, maybe fit a larger murloc package in to help the early game? That would still fuel the Infuse package at the top end.

Jolly Jumbuck
Mar 14, 2006

Cats like optical fibers.
I don't mind Sire Denathrius* as an end game closer - without it, people might be complaining about games taking too long again. It has to be drawn and nourished through game play to be a significant threat.

*aside from Ramp Druid where it can be easily tutored and fed with SoO board clears.

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord
Sire is absolutely fine. The busted card is the one allowing a minion to be played for free as that basically means any impactful and powerful 9-10 mana card can become oppressive if cheated out but particularly Battlecry ones in combination with Brann. Very limiting to the design space.

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

Olpainless posted:

kobold illusionist eating a loving entire poo poo burrito and they're still not doing anything about neptulon itself, dev pet card discovered

Just as a note, Wild lists are cutting Neptulon for Stoneborn General (less highroll potential but way more likely to stick on the board), so yeah Illusionist was the right call.

There's always going to be "the best" big minion, nerfing them instead of the way to cheat them out would be silly.

Blooming Brilliant fucked around with this message at 15:40 on Aug 13, 2022

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
Sire is fine, it's Kael & Brann, and in particular, Kael & Brann together, which is such a force multiplier as to be truly incredible it even exists.

Either one of those cards (Doubling the impact of a Battlecry, or cheating out a 3rd Minion) would be really good. The two together is really, really strong. The two together and that Brann facilitates a Kael play that then also takes advantage of the double Battlecry is insane.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
That said, I don't think I'd shed any tears if Denathrius was changed to Infuse(2)

victorious
Jul 2, 2007

As a youth I prayed, "Give me chastity and continence, but not yet."
For those of you not watching the Master's Your, this happened yesterday and might be the most disgusting lethal out I've ever seen:
https://www.reddit.com/r/hearthstone/comments/wmw8co/crazy_highroll_from_zochi_at_masters_tour/

Joink
Jan 8, 2004

What if I told you cod is no longer a fish :coolfish:
Brann removed from standard would be the best nerf I can think of. I believe its the most common card right now in standard?

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Joink posted:

Brann removed from standard would be the best nerf I can think of. I believe its the most common card right now in standard?

It’s 2nd, right behind Renethal. 3rd is Denathrius

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

victorious posted:

For those of you not watching the Master's Your, this happened yesterday and might be the most disgusting lethal out I've ever seen:
https://www.reddit.com/r/hearthstone/comments/wmw8co/crazy_highroll_from_zochi_at_masters_tour/

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Welcome to Troldenstorm.

Last King
Sep 29, 2007

In corporate R'lyeh, Cthulhu works you.

Fun Shoe

victorious posted:

yep, the future of highrollstone is here and it's filled to the brim with rng.

it's fun to watch, but god drat is it awful to play against.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

victorious posted:

Talk about playing to your outs.

Kalko
Oct 9, 2004

Last King posted:

yep, the future of highrollstone is here and it's filled to the brim with rng.

it's fun to watch, but god drat is it awful to play against.

It's been a universal complaint since day one that Hearthstone has too much RNG, but it was of course deliberately designed that way because that's the main mechanism whereby unskilled players can beat skilled players, and Blizzard designs their games to be prolific so the RNG will always be weighted with that in mind. Skilled players are ok with it because they win more games on average, and unskilled players are ok with it because they get to actually win sometimes, but the RNG still has to be fairly carefully calibrated to avoid losing too many of one group. Just imagine what the Master's Tour would be like if they used Duels as the format; matches would have to be best of 21 games, and nobody would want to watch it anyway.

Randomness is also interesting and a lot of games have random elements for that reason, too, but most of the best ones don't push it as far as HS, or they at least provide the player with more ways to mitigate it. All of which is to say that the best way to have fun in Hearthstone is to embrace the chaos and do stupid bullshit as often as you can.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
It's a tough balance to hit. Like at the end of the day if you don't like RNG you should be playing chess instead of playing a game where cards are randomly drawn from a shuffled deck, but when it gets pushed too hard to where it feels like early and mid game decisions are nullified by late game high-rolls, it removes player agency to the point where the game becomes less satisfying for a lot of people. That said, I don't think the current meta really has that issue -- Standard is definitely very "swingy" but if you look at decks that consistently pull it off like Denathrius Ramp Druid they have a bunch of redundancy that lets them draw into their win condition. You even have a very "fair" yet strong deck near the top of the meta right now in the form of Imp Warlock that wins by playing and sticking a big board of minions.

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

That said, I don't think I'd shed any tears if Denathrius was changed to Infuse(2)

You might as well change him to a Druid card then. He’ll be exactly the same but theirs.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
For Play Points chasers hoping to save up for the next expansion and/or hit Gold before the end of the year, there's 20 free points to be had for loading apps at the moment. Scroll down to the bottom under the "Earn" tab and download those four apps. You don't need to open them, just download them and uninstall them after 24h. If you uninstall them BEFORE 24h have elapsed, they'll retract/remove your points. You've got until 8/25 to download them.

Also, some of them can be a little large so be sure to download them on WiFi.

And yes, points earned this way count towards your next tier.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Shockeh posted:

You might as well change him to a Druid card then. He’ll be exactly the same but theirs.

Would probably still be viable in control Shaman.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

goferchan posted:

It's a tough balance to hit. Like at the end of the day if you don't like RNG you should be playing chess instead of playing a game where cards are randomly drawn from a shuffled deck, but when it gets pushed too hard to where it feels like early and mid game decisions are nullified by late game high-rolls, it removes player agency to the point where the game becomes less satisfying for a lot of people. That said, I don't think the current meta really has that issue -- Standard is definitely very "swingy" but if you look at decks that consistently pull it off like Denathrius Ramp Druid they have a bunch of redundancy that lets them draw into their win condition. You even have a very "fair" yet strong deck near the top of the meta right now in the form of Imp Warlock that wins by playing and sticking a big board of minions.

I think saying "If you dont like current Hearthstone go play Chess lol no RNG there" misses the wide gulf that Hearthstone is at with RNG, especially when you open with "You draw cards from a random deck!"

I do agree with the second point about removing player agency from early/mid game decisions. It feels very bad to play through opponents boards and be punished for it. Like Yogg was nerfed specifically because of how swingy he was, I feel like a lot of decks win conditions are at the point where they are not only that swingy but also more consistent.

Imp Warlock is a good deck because of Impending Catastrophe. If Imp Warlock didn't have consistent reload from that one card it would be a far worse deck.

I dunno, it's a hard balance when Team 5 is so insistent on RNG deciding games but in general they seem to fall into more RNG being better than less, consistently, and I feel like that's bad for the game but I also look at Hearthstone as a traditional TCG even though it is obviously not. Hard to square decades of playing around consistent deck builds with things like discover I guess. I want to point out that I'm still mostly having fun and I'm not trying to poo poo all over the game or anything, these are just concerns I've got, unfounded or not.

Yes I know this is a Wendy's.

PneumonicBook posted:

As soon as the music started I was confused because no way would they do castle nathria, and then it WAS nathria. Can't wait to see what they do with Denathrius.

:lol: I was such a fool

PneumonicBook fucked around with this message at 08:29 on Aug 14, 2022

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.
There are varying standards of RNG going from like chess --> poker ----> MTG ---------> Hearthstone

The point of Hearthstone is that it's an entirely digital game so you can do mechanics like Discover where you can maybe pull your win condition out of thin air and I'm fine with that

I guess tomorrow I'll go hit up VS or HSReplay to find out the best decks for the next two days until they do a balance patch

Pump-Action Gerbil
Sep 13, 2000

Blooming Brilliant posted:

Just as a note, Wild lists are cutting Neptulon for Stoneborn General (less highroll potential but way more likely to stick on the board), so yeah Illusionist was the right call.

There's always going to be "the best" big minion, nerfing them instead of the way to cheat them out would be silly.

Yeah, Stoneborn's good.

https://replays.firestoneapp.com/?reviewId=497815ca-f082-4516-8542-60f7cb426bd3&turn=0&action=0

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

skaboomizzy posted:

There are varying standards of RNG going from like chess --> poker ----> MTG ---------> Hearthstone

The point of Hearthstone is that it's an entirely digital game so you can do mechanics like Discover where you can maybe pull your win condition out of thin air and I'm fine with that

I guess tomorrow I'll go hit up VS or HSReplay to find out the best decks for the next two days until they do a balance patch

I've been bouncing all over the place, which is good, and the decks I've been playing have been mostly fun. I will say that I feel like having ten mana really limits quest priest in a way that most classes don't care about but also my shard was stolen twice tonight by Theotars so it is a land of contrasts.

Olpainless
Jun 30, 2003
... Insert something brilliantly witty here.

Blooming Brilliant posted:

Stoneborn seems to be the choice only because it's also a Deathrattle.

To be honest, I think ragnaros is still probably one of the best draws because it can go straight face, but Neptulon is a better clear.

Them not hitting neptulon means big priest is gonna be s tier after the patch.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

update: it seems Druid has figured out how to play Kaelthas by also playing Battlegrounds Battlemaster, which is enough combos to make it worth it even with 10+ mana (e.g. Kaelthas + BGBM + Sire).

Jolly Jumbuck
Mar 14, 2006

Cats like optical fibers.

victorious posted:

As silly as that was, for every amazing win like that pulled out of then air where the one there are a good 30 or so times a useless 6-cost minion will be created and it will end in an uneventful concede. That's not to say they can't or don't go overboard on RNG, but the criticism and nerfs should be limited to cases where it can consistently cause problems, not incidents where a less than 5% chance causes a game swing.

Quotey
Aug 16, 2006

We went out for lunch and then we stopped for some bubble tea.
Wow, I can't stand this expansion. My lowest winrate ever too (probably related). 4 classes make up most of the meta, the other 2 classes are Rogue, where it's either win or total bullshit, and Priest. Lots of games feel so tedious, especially anything with Renathal. I should probably just play wild and try to find fun decks. I think most people are enjoying it though, and there's a patch coming up, so whatever!

Buff Pirate Warrior.

Kalko
Oct 9, 2004

Yeah, I'm really not enjoying the inevitability of Denathrius re: what everyone has been saying about getting punished for clearing a board. And my Thief Rogue has always had an average win rate but now it's just plain bad. It feels like you need to have Jackpot in the deck and get lucky with it to do some insane early bullshit to have a chance.

Basically... I don't believe in nothin' no more! I'm gonna play Quest Hunter!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IGgiasHFtwU

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

I’m enjoying the meta. I feel like there’s a bunch of different, viable decks. Or at least, there’s a bunch of decks that I’m having fun bouncing between. Like yeah it can suck to lose to Implock, but I could say that any super super popular deck. Plus it makes it even more sweeter when you beat them!

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

Do you think I posted to this forum because I value your companionship?

Kalko posted:

Yeah, I'm really not enjoying the inevitability of Denathrius re: what everyone has been saying about getting punished for clearing a board.
One of my absolute favorite things in Hearthstone this week has been the number of people who emote before playing Theotar and then the long drawn out Discover phase when they fail to hit Denathrius or Bran or whatever they were after and then the concede.

Veev
Oct 21, 2010

K is for kid.
A guy or gal just like you.
Dont be in such a hurry to grow up, since there's nothin' a kid can't do.
Similarly people get really excited when they steal my kelthuzad but I don't really need him to win and they just gave themselves a useless card.

Kalko
Oct 9, 2004

Oh, hey, Kibler did a video about the meta:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EchybxSRsXE

Looks like he predicted the Warlock location nerf.

tldr;

- Denathrius is fine, KT is the problem, which I think I agree with (and Brann).
- Theotar commentary about how it punishes classes with less card draw (thus smaller hands) more than other classes. Same with Mutanus. Not asking for a change.
- Warlock location nerf plus Impending Catastrophe, I think he said change the draw to X instead of X + 1, too, or the mana cost.
- Dawngrasp to +1 damage on HK. I play Mage a fair bit and I think that's a good change since all you have to do a lot of the time is defend and just build it up and kill them.
- Freeze location to 2 dura -> Mage has too many defensive options against both big and small minions.
- Druid has huge structural problems: too many cards giving them access to their whole deck, playing multiple copies of cards, Scale in particular being too strong. Made the point that they have an average win rate overall, but in practice they only lose to aggro and beat absolutely everything else, which is not a healthy spot to be in. No real ideas on how to solve the problem. Also suggested Guff and Nourish should give empty mana crystals.
- Snowfall Guardian needs a nerf, no good idea for it though. Also made the point earlier that Control Shaman is good at the moment because KT/Bolner/Brann/Denathrius gives it an actual win condition, which is something the class has struggled with in the past.
- Nuke the Hunter quest from orbit.
- Harpoon Gun to -2 cost.
- Revert Serpent Wig buff because it's crowding out every other small minion option in Priest.
- Do something about Naval Mine.

Kalko fucked around with this message at 05:29 on Aug 15, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

People got too caught up on Miracle/"Forsen" rogue and didn't realize you can make a very decent Maestra deck featuring the graveyard location and Draka to take advantage of 0 cost Gnolls

Now blizzard is set to buff Edwin to 3 mana (and possibly buff other rogue cards as well)

oh boy.

Excelzior fucked around with this message at 14:05 on Aug 15, 2022