Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

What’s a good Apple TV show that isn’t severance

There was that super cringey office detective mystery comedy that was apple sponsored and had a big cast and it just really sucked

For all mankind is fine. Ted lasso is gag me with a spoon but my wife likes it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Physical is really good

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

Ok I only watched a little of that I’ll check it out

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Apparently they have Fraggle Rock.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Peacock is good if you're like me and 1) get it free and 2) was really interested in pro wrestling when you were 10 and want to watch old Royal Rumbles.

Occasionally there's something great on there that won't be available anywhere else like The Northman or (in a few months) Nope.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Baron von Eevl posted:

Peacock is good if you're like me and 1) get it free and 2) was really interested in pro wrestling when you were 10 and want to watch old Royal Rumbles.

Occasionally there's something great on there that won't be available anywhere else like The Northman or (in a few months) Nope.

I only had cable to watch Bravo. Now that Peacock has every Bravo show the next day, it finally allowed me to cancel cable.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Nihonniboku posted:

I only had cable to watch Bravo. Now that Peacock has every Bravo show the next day, it finally allowed me to cancel cable.
Bravo for you (puts on sunglasses)

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Anyone end up seeing that Jesse Plemons/Jason Segel Netflix film Windfall? Any good?

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica
e: ^^^ I liked it. It's very scope limited and character driven and sort of punchy and angsty but it has a banger of an ending.

A MIRACLE posted:

And Atlanta. But I guess since Doja cat was on Dave then Dave is better

Dave is better than Atlanta? :holymoley:

BaldDwarfOnPCP fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Aug 14, 2022

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Punkin Spunkin posted:

Anyone end up seeing that Jesse Plemons/Jason Segel Netflix film Windfall? Any good?

It’s aight. Good performances from everyone. Worth a watch but nothing id rave about and recommend for people to seek out.

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

Is Prey filmed in Comanche as the original language or was it filmed in English and dubbed Comanche?

Crows Turn Off fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Aug 14, 2022

thats not candy
Mar 10, 2010

Hell Gem

A MIRACLE posted:

There was that super cringey office detective mystery comedy that was apple sponsored and had a big cast and it just really sucked

physical owns

See doesn't seem to be particularly well liked here, parts of it are definitely over the top, but i think its cool and its filled with the old ultra violence. im looking forward to season 3 starting here in a week or two

the clip that someone posted sold me on giving it a try:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8uugi_3ySMY

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!
I'm on episode 3 of A League of Their Own, the new Amazon series starring Abbi Jacobson and D'Arcy Carden. It's super cute.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Crows Turn Off posted:

Is Prey filmed in Comanche as the original language or was it filmed in English and dubbed Comanche?

It was filmed in English with a couple of lines spoken in Comanche on screen to pepper in during the English version, the Comanche dub is re-recorded and dubbed over, except for those few lines of Comanche in the English version, and the french spoken by the fur trappers.

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

Punkin Spunkin posted:

Very well directed and acted, incredibly formulaic script. If you don't mind seeing a story you've already seen before, it's worth watching.

pumped up for school
Nov 24, 2010

A MIRACLE posted:

I'm enjoying Slow Horses.

My internal thread title for: For All Mankind: Why am I still watching this show?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
https://twitter.com/cnn/status/1558521296446701569?s=21&t=VsiC1WSqKeORSqSE0w-o4A

Lol there’s gonna be a lot of disappointed women

snoot
Jun 8, 2006

danger lurks everywhere

BaldDwarfOnPCP posted:

e: ^^^ I liked it. It's very scope limited and character driven and sort of punchy and angsty but it has a banger of an ending.

Dave is better than Atlanta? :holymoley:

I liked them both, but prefer Dave, though there's huge swings in tone. Gator is the stand out character, really.

Donald Glover put me off watching any more Atlanta after his anti Dave tweets.

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!

pumped up for school posted:

My internal thread title for: For All Mankind: Why am I still watching this show?

I got halfway through s2 when I decided it just wasn't that good anymore, but I pushed through just to see how it ended. I have zero desire to start s3.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

Dave is ok kinda funny sometimes has some thought provoking episodes. Mostly just cringe comedy. gator is a good character but the Dave character is pretty annoying

Atlanta isn’t really the same show at all. More Afro horror these days, and very surrealist. Lots of theories about the show. I get why glover was mad at being compared to Dave

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist
Nothing about Dave interested me, but I've heard that they've done some really interesting things (especially in the second season).

The first two seasons of Atlanta are some of the best television of the 21st century.

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE
I love Dave but I was already a Lil Dicky fan so there may be some bias. The poster who said there are huge tonal shifts is absolutely correct, it's a comedy but it deals with some heavy stuff- mental illness, breakups, strained/broken friendships and does it pretty well I thought. It doesn't sugar coat anything.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I had no strong feelings on Lil Dickey going in but imo Dave is legit great.

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker

Nihonniboku posted:

I'm on episode 3 of A League of Their Own, the new Amazon series starring Abbi Jacobson and D'Arcy Carden. It's super cute.

Agreed. I don't recommend reading user reviews of it, just give it a shot if this description above is interesting to you. edit: because people are giving it 1-3/10 star reviews because it's not a 100% factual baseball documentary or some other thinly veiled "it's too gay" complaint, and others are giving it 10/10 as a reaction, neither of which are really fair.

Glottis fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Aug 15, 2022

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer

BaldDwarfOnPCP posted:

Not pointless it leads to lots of things like putting the Q in ABQ

This post did not get enough love.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Glottis posted:

Agreed. I don't recommend reading user reviews of it, just give it a shot if this description above is interesting to you. edit: because people are giving it 1-3/10 star reviews because it's not a 100% factual baseball documentary or some other thinly veiled "it's too gay" complaint, and others are giving it 10/10 as a reaction, neither of which are really fair.

Finished it today. Overall I liked the series, would have liked a little more comedy, but for non-bigoted fans of the original film, it's worth a watch

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Thinking about my one of my friends who is obsessed with "Crash Landed on You" going to DPRK to try to pick up her very own Hyun Bin

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
It will be like that Japanese woman who traveled to Fargo, ND to recover the money from the snowball by the side of the road then dies of exposure.

Aggro
Apr 24, 2003

STRONG as an OX and TWICE as SMART
Is this the thread to complain about the dumbass Netflix vampire action comedy Day Shift?

It’s a genuinely entertaining ridiculous buddy comedy with some decent world building and hilarious action scenes.

But the plot is so loving idiotic, Jesus Christ. Jamie Foxx has to get $10,000 to pay his daughter’s tuition and braces and whatever. Fine.

But like 40 minutes in, he breaks into a pawnshop with hundreds of thousands of dollars of guns and jewels and poo poo. I get that the dude is a vampire hunter but goddamn it there’s so many easier ways to make a relatively small smoking t of money.

Also the movie is in LA and there’s no traffic and no cops anywhere, ever.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

pumped up for school posted:

I'm enjoying Slow Horses.

Seconding Slow Horses.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

Idk that we needed cops in this one although the world building was pretty subtle, the union was a good stand in for the police imo. I read it as buddy cop comedy but for the vampire hunting union. They did mention calling the regular police a few times

Also it took place in a really suburban part of the valley on a weekend, they didn’t even get on the 101 afaict.

that’s what I love about LA. All the drat vampires

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Day Shift was fun enough, but did they like, cut scenes with the neighbor? She's a non-character. Like, he meets her, once, and then the next time we see her is when his family gets kidnapped and he rushes to her apartment for some reason and she has all this vampire backstory and then like, helps him for some reason? Did I miss some scenes? How did Bud even know to suspect her of....whatever? Did she even help the villains locate Bud's family? I figured the villain got her information without needing the neighbor.
Almost wish Dave Franco had called those Armenian bros over as reinforcements instead of Snoop Dogg. Fun characters.
Honestly as fun conceptually as a psychotic realtor vampire lord was, the script and the actress didn't really do much for me. Mainly a sitcom actress, figures, didn't really chew scenery enough for me in a charming way.

garycoleisgod
Sep 27, 2004
Boo

Punkin Spunkin posted:

Day Shift was fun enough, but did they like, cut scenes with the neighbor? She's a non-character. Like, he meets her, once, and then the next time we see her is when his family gets kidnapped and he rushes to her apartment for some reason and she has all this vampire backstory and then like, helps him for some reason? Did I miss some scenes? How did Bud even know to suspect her of....whatever? Did she even help the villains locate Bud's family? I figured the villain got her information without needing the neighbor.
Almost wish Dave Franco had called those Armenian bros over as reinforcements instead of Snoop Dogg. Fun characters.
Honestly as fun conceptually as a psychotic realtor vampire lord was, the script and the actress didn't really do much for me. Mainly a sitcom actress, figures, didn't really chew scenery enough for me in a charming way.

There is a scene of Bud coming home from work and seeing the neighbour talking to some guy. That guy is the first one Bud kills in the car chase, before he gets in the truck at the start. That's how he puts it together, but you are right something is clearly missing, it seems she knew who he was before she moved in, so there was no real betrayal.

Aside from the action scenes, the movie isn't very good.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Punkin Spunkin posted:

I feel like they cut out an entire love interest sideplot

the Armenian bros were a weird twist because they show up as rivals, set up immediate conflict and then join in and are even more competent than Bud whose quite frankly REALLY sloppy at his job throughout the entire movie. They don't get killed and go their own way after.

Aggro posted:

Is this the thread to complain about the dumbass Netflix vampire action comedy Day Shift?

It’s a genuinely entertaining ridiculous buddy comedy with some decent world building and hilarious action scenes.

But the plot is so loving idiotic, Jesus Christ. Jamie Foxx has to get $10,000 to pay his daughter’s tuition and braces and whatever. Fine.

But like 40 minutes in, he breaks into a pawnshop with hundreds of thousands of dollars of guns and jewels and poo poo. I get that the dude is a vampire hunter but goddamn it there’s so many easier ways to make a relatively small smoking t of money.

Also the movie is in LA and there’s no traffic and no cops anywhere, ever.

eh im willing to let that slide since Peter Stormare even told him to rob a bank. Why doesn't he do it? He has a code. Like yeah he doesn't wanna go by union rules but HE GETS RESULTS. He's a copvampire hunter with a heart of gold

Alan Smithee fucked around with this message at 11:14 on Aug 15, 2022

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

Breaking Bad doesn't hold up and will be forgotten like Sea Hunt
idk about this take but im curious what's Frasier

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Alan Smithee posted:

idk about this take but im curious what's Frasier

Frasier is immortal and has reached the rare pantheon of spin-offs better than the show or movie off from which they spun

e from off of which?

Inspector Hound fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Nov 20, 2022

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

I rewatched frasier this year, it’s good sorry

Day shift could have had another 45 minutes to flesh out these missing story pieces I think lol. Release the snoop cut

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Alan Smithee posted:

eh im willing to let that slide since Peter Stormare even told him to rob a bank. Why doesn't he do it? He has a code. Like yeah he doesn't wanna go by union rules but HE GETS RESULTS. He's a copvampire hunter with a heart of gold

They should've changed the 10k to like 100k so it's a number that you can say "ok, the only practical way this guy has of getting that kind of money is to hunt for some extra valuable vamp teeth".

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Im glad it wasnt any longer but it def feels like stuff was cut

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

I was also kinda really confused when Dave Franco turned into a vamp and it was like, oh yea some of them are good guys lol. Also they could have explained the familiar thing better

last ep of Evil is up on paramount

A MIRACLE fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Aug 15, 2022