Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

It's the return of an old favorite, people have been running the moonfire faire tower for years before it was temporarily shelved after flying was added to ARR zones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

TheWorldsaStage posted:

The Moonfire fair one?

yeah

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

A Moose posted:

holy poo poo this tower is hard. I did the Kugane tower, but that one is easy as long as you have between 2 and 8 hours to go at it over and over and over and over. THIS tower... I might never get it, and I think most people won't either.

The last leg of it at the back is kinda "how do I even start?" (there's some angle that you have to get that I don't even know), but you thankfully don't have to do that to get the rewards. And when it comes to the two "proper" segments of it, the bomb run is actually the easiest way.

(Though this is also where I learned I could turn off player names which helps no end on the platforming segments.)

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?

Jonny 290 posted:

Never did I think i'd ever come across an MMO where my rigorous practice of half-A presses would come into play

TJ "Henry" Yoshi posted:

an a press is an a press. You can't say its only a half.

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

Maxwell Lord posted:

The last leg of it at the back is kinda "how do I even start?" (there's some angle that you have to get that I don't even know), but you thankfully don't have to do that to get the rewards. And when it comes to the two "proper" segments of it, the bomb run is actually the easiest way.

(Though this is also where I learned I could turn off player names which helps no end on the platforming segments.)

yeah, the hard part of the course is brutal, because for most of it, if you mess up you go all the way down, and then you'll get really far, fall down, and then you'll miss that first angled jump like 3 times and contemplate uninstalling.

There isn't even a reward for getting to the top but I wasted like 3 hours trying.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

The reward is victory.

FortMan
Jan 10, 2012

Viva Romanesco!

Not too late for Lala post, am I?

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

A Moose posted:

does anyone know, really know, how jumping works? What makes you do the "6 foot straight ahead standing jump" vs the 6 foot up and 3 feet forward standing jump" and are there variations? there doesn't seem to be JUST 2 possible jumping distances and I can do it, but I have no idea HOW im doing it. it's just instinct and I guess the computer reading my mind or something

also if you try to think about what you're doing, it doesn't work anymore so that's weird

I think there's either a little RNG involved, because when I jump it ALMOST always does exactly what I want, but I don't do anything noticeably different

I'm not sure if this is 100% how the game works, but the way I think of it is you have about .25 to .50 seconds of acceleration before you get to full speed when running. How far you jump depends on how fast you're going, with three different levels. (You probably move at full speed right away, and this is likely just an abstraction that I find personally helpful.)

Only want a really short hop? Jump within a few frames of starting to move. Want the medium distance? Wait just a handful of frames longer. Want a full distance jump? Make sure you've got enough space to move for a third of a second so you can get your speed up.

The middle distance is the hardest, because it's really easy to jump within a couple frames or a half second after you start moving, but not hitting it too early or late to get the right distance takes a lot more repetition to get the muscle memory down.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Onean posted:

The middle distance is the hardest, because it's really easy to jump within a couple frames or a half second after you start moving, but not hitting it too early or late to get the right distance takes a lot more repetition to get the muscle memory down.

And the first face of The Tower is a bunch of those jumps in a row.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

The first tier of the tower's one of the easiest once you get it down, since there's a simple trick: running into the tower itself will badly kill your momentum, so you can get to close to the end of each peg and then jump diagonally onto the next peg, which will make avoiding overshooting much easier.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

I'm not a Lalafell, but if I was...

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Vermain posted:

The first tier of the tower's one of the easiest once you get it down, since there's a simple trick: running into the tower itself will badly kill your momentum, so you can get to close to the end of each peg and then jump diagonally onto the next peg, which will make avoiding overshooting much easier.

Well I'll be, I was trying to give myself more landing room in the wrong direction! Bumping my elbow on the first corner has stopped me so many times I'm amazed I didn't think of that.

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

Onean posted:

I'm not sure if this is 100% how the game works, but the way I think of it is you have about .25 to .50 seconds of acceleration before you get to full speed when running. How far you jump depends on how fast you're going, with three different levels. (You probably move at full speed right away, and this is likely just an abstraction that I find personally helpful.)

Only want a really short hop? Jump within a few frames of starting to move. Want the medium distance? Wait just a handful of frames longer. Want a full distance jump? Make sure you've got enough space to move for a third of a second so you can get your speed up.

I think there might be more, because you can ALWAYS jump too short a distance. Like I've screwed up and only jumped like an inch forward and fallen off steps before. the timing is REALLY tight on those middle jumps though. I almost always try to jump diagonally if I have the space to, so it reduces my chance of overshooting by bumping into the wall, and because its a very slightly bigger landing area diagonally

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

I have made it through stage 1

stage 2

and stage 3

of the real poo poo part of the climbing tower

anything past the second or third peg of stage 4 eludes me

and having fallen off again, I think that might be where I stay for the time being

Maximum Tomfoolery
Apr 12, 2010

The good thing about the top of tower puzzle is that it's a great place for glam shots.

The bad thing about the top of tower puzzle is I don't want to come down and I have in-game stuff I need to do.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Maximum Tomfoolery posted:

The bad thing about the top of tower puzzle is I don't want to come down and I have in-game stuff I need to do.

Just have someone rez you back up in the future.

I got up there legit once, I'm taking the elevator from now on.

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

The Demogorgon is tired of your silly human bickering!

Now that it's back, for the new folks:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K02_dPMtN_A

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

bagrada posted:

Now that it's back, for the new folks:

I totally forgot the tower was on that lovely lumpy island to the south originally.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

So couple of things here. One, I got the mount yay me.
Two, on other shots I've seen they get a good look at the person in there, but whatever angle I picked there was a big white glare on the screen. Is there some setting to minimize that?

Edit: figured it out, lots of my own spotlights looking in.

Bruceski fucked around with this message at 06:12 on Aug 14, 2022

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

I'm still extremely pissed at how much worse the female animation for the tv mount is compared to guys

Ziddar
Jul 24, 2003

Time Travel: Not Even Once

okay maybe a few times

Ibram Gaunt posted:

I'm still extremely pissed at how much worse the female animation for the tv mount is compared to guys

Unless you're a lalafell. We get the 'hands on screen' pose no matter what.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Ibram Gaunt posted:

same :argh:

I also dislike how I have to ride a certain good boy sidesaddle.

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

someone a couple days ago posted that you can target yourself to help you define the limits of the invisible parts of each peg, and that along side seeing people jump backwards in order to clear the corners of the last set of pegs really helped me wrap the tower up earlier today.

thark
Mar 3, 2008

bork
Lalafell as ordered.

E: bonus

thark fucked around with this message at 09:49 on Aug 14, 2022

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Lalas you say?

Here is Viviro:

Will try to get some better pics of him.

Alris
Apr 20, 2007

Welcome to the Fantasy Zone!

Get ready!

I want to loving vomit.

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
on top of a bunch of yellow scrip, i also have a bunch of tomes of allegory and revelation

should we expect those to get phased out with 6.2, or will yoshi-p give more of a heads up before they're finally pulled from the game?

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

kliras posted:

on top of a bunch of yellow scrip, i also have a bunch of tomes of allegory and revelation

should we expect those to get phased out with 6.2, or will yoshi-p give more of a heads up before they're finally pulled from the game?

Capped tomestones become the new uncapped tomestones, and the old uncapped tomestones can be traded in for poetics for a while after the patch launches.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

I believe we’ve already been given the heads up Allegory and Revelation are going to vanish with this patch. Go trade them for Poetics already.

Theris
Oct 9, 2007

Allegory and Revelation will be deleted when 6.2 releases. You can hold on to yellow scrip until 7.0 if you really want to for some reason.

To be clear, as far as "heads up" goes, every even patch will introduce a new capped tomestone, move the former capped stone to uncapped, move the former uncapped stone to "you need to trade this in before it gets deleted in the next even patch" and delete the previous stone in that slot. No "heads up"s needed once you know the pattern.

Theris fucked around with this message at 13:10 on Aug 14, 2022

Zutaten
May 8, 2007

What the shit.

Are the Moonward sets getting moved to poetics or nuts?

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank
Nuts, if past trends hold.

E: Poetics are never used for levelcap equipment nowadays. It's previous expansions only by deliberate choice and I would be very surprised if that changed.

Xerophyte fucked around with this message at 13:36 on Aug 14, 2022

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
poetics are just for catch-up gear basically

i personally hate crafter scrips in general, because i have to figure out what to get. and getting the right distribution of materia for melded crafter/dow gear is some fresh spreadsheet nonsense

Detheros
Apr 11, 2010

I want to die.

Lalaposting?

I spend way too much on cherry pink dye

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

in preparation for next patch where i will replace all my crap gear with the new crafted stuff, does anyone remember the url for that website that lets you search for items on other realms market boards? I remember having to do a bunch of server hopping last time i did this to get the best deals and I don't want to have to server hop to get prices then server hop a second time to buy each item

i basically haven't played since endwalker launched so all my gear is atrocious but I don't want to put any effort into upgrading it when i can just wait a couple weeks and sink a buncha gil into it

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

https://universalis.app/

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank
If you're doing Cool Crimes then there's an add on called Market Board that lets you check Universalis from inside the game. It's very useful for any big ticket purchases, tactical server hopping has saved me millions.

Note, however, that Universalis' prices are not 100% up to date, especially when the market moves fast, and its scraping is probably going to break with the patch. Don't expect it to work great for getting new gear for cheap on the 23rd specifically.

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

much appreciated

also my plan isn't to get new gear for cheap on the 23rd, my plan is to get new gear for a very slight discount on the 24th

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Alris posted:

I want to loving vomit.

Congratulations gamer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
what's the expected ilvl in 6.2? i saw a comment that Criterion is designed for people who have already farmed 6.2 savage and will require the gear you get from that (iirc it requires 630?), and if so that's pretty disappointing since a big part of the reason 4 person challenging content is appealing is because it's way easier to wrangle 3 other good friends than 7.

Alris posted:

I want to loving vomit.

sick